ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Penn State/Michigan Dual Thread.

I'm actually curious at the "same hold" overturn ruling there. I agree with the call, but in my mind the result would be that he gets the 4 instead of the 2? I guess the ruling is that "awarding the 2" is the call that is getting reversed, but then they kept the 2, so that doesn't track logically.

So, right, Woods shouldn't get 6, but not sure how he gets to keep the 2 that was improperly awarded vs the 4 that was right.
the two wasn't improperly awarded in the sense that he shouldn't have had two. it was improperly awarded *too early* because woods didn't release the hold.

so what technically happened was: we go back to the point of mistake - the early awarding- but because the match stops, the two woods had in the bank are awarded anyway.

embarrassing junior high level mistake from the official.

I really didn’t think Kerk looked *that* bad. Maybe a bit less explosive but that’s the first match he’s really had to score in in the third all year and Mason has definitely gotten a bit bigger. Needs to find an angle next time. The tired, lazy shot in the third was bad.

Yea, definitely agree - didn't think Kirk looked bad. He was wrestling the #2 ranked wrestler in the Country after all. However, in terms of whether Kirk has "widened the gap" or Parris has "closed the gap", I think the answer to that one is pretty obvious. After Kirk beat Cass in All-Star match, I thought he was a pretty good bet to win it all, but I'd have to say future matches with Parris look 50/50.

Yea, definitely agree - didn't think Kirk looked bad. He was wrestling the #2 ranked wrestler in the Country after all. However, in terms of whether Kirk has "widened the gap" or Parris has "closed the gap", I think the answer to that one is pretty obvious. After Kirk beat Cass in All-Star match, I thought he was a pretty good bet to win it all, but I'd have to say future matches with Parris look 50/50.
i wonder if something was wrong with parris last year? he didn't look like himself.

I’ve been hesitant to jump on board the Levi train. I generally like to see wrestlers redshirt in their first year when practical and while the Model win was good, I don’t think I saw it in the same light as others.

We’ll, I’m fully on-board now.

the two wasn't improperly awarded in the sense that he shouldn't have had two. it was improperly awarded *too early* because woods didn't release the hold.

so what technically happened was: we go back to the point of mistake - the early awarding- but because the match stops, the two woods had in the bank are awarded anyway.

embarrassing junior high level mistake from the official.

Yeah I get it, I just think it's wrong, and in a different way than a continuation situation.

The "early awarding" is a good nuance though, makes it logical if you squint just right, which is good enough for NCAA wrestling review.

I don't understand the rule. They gave Amine the takedown but then why wasn't Facundo credited with a reversal? Is it that the brick stopped the clock?

It seems to me they shouldn't stop the clock in the mid action like that.
Agree! Can’t wait for one of the real experts on this board to explain that scoring call(s). When you are BJC it’s hard to get explanation's among the casual fans. At Rec Hall I can always lean forward or turn around and talk to a former or current ref. What the hey with the way they seated season ticket holders. The guys i usually sit with in Rec Hall were spread all over the damn place ….some 4 sections away. Pisses me the hell off!

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
a lot of people have said spencer isn't going to horse [insert strong 125 here] around. and then he does. he's a freak.

these two have wrestled a lot. spencer didn't have much trouble horsing him around according to the reports. holding him off for a full match was another question. gilman will need to weather the storm and wear him down. from what i heard, half the practice matches were early stoppages for spencer. the other half, gilman survived early and came back and beat him.

and take it this for what it's worth, but spencer apparently stopped wrestling him because he felt he had passed him and didn't want to give him opportunities to figure him out at that point.

Funny how Spencer Lee shows up in the PSU v Michigan PBP thread.
Spencer is the only interesting thing about Iowa Wrestling these days.
#onetrickpony

Agree! Can’t wait for one of the real experts on this board to explain that scoring call(s). When you are BJC love it’s hard to get explanation's among the casual fans. At Rec Hall I can always lean forward or turn around and talk to a former or current ref. What the hey with the way they seated season ticket holders. The guys i usually sit with in Rec Hall were spread all over the damn place ….some 4 sections away. Pisses me the hell off!

Always goes back to the time of the reversed call, they don't re-score the whole sequence.

Did anyone have sound issues with BTN? I had harsh white noise the whole match. Fortunately I could sync Byers up, but still

Agree! Can’t wait for one of the real experts on this board to explain that scoring call(s). When you are BJC it’s hard to get explanation's among the casual fans. At Rec Hall I can always lean forward or turn around and talk to a former or current ref. What the hey with the way they seated season ticket holders. The guys i usually sit with in Rec Hall were spread all over the damn place ….some 4 sections away. Pisses me the hell off!

Nobody will be able to give you "the logic" to it, because that is subjective and debatable. The reason that all action after a successful Challenge doesn't count and the clock is returned to the point it was at when the successful Challenge occurred is quite simple -- it is the way the NCAA Wrestling Rulebook reads and prescribes for successful Challenges. So again, there is no definitive logic to justify it other than this is what the Rulebook prescribes.

Last edited:
N
Just so silly. In the what universe is that control?
NCAA. Carrying on about the rule is silly. Alex wrestled through the situation brilliantly because he knew the rule and what to do. Without the hand touch rule half the D1 officials would have called it 2 when the knee touched and half give reaction time. If Alex hits that roll without his hand touvhinging it's his TD, and because he knows the rule he can clean that up.

Reactions: JOESTROSSER
Nobody will be to give you "the logic" to it, because that is subjective and debatable. The reason that all action after a successful Challenge doesn't count and the clock is returned to the point it was at when the successful Challenge occurred is quite simple -- it is the way the NCAA Wrestling Rulebook reads and prescribes for successful Challenges. So again, there is no no definitive logic to justify it other than this is what the Rulebook prescribes.
Fair enough. Thanks!

N

NCAA. Carrying on about the rule is silly. Alex wrestled through the situation brilliantly because he knew the rule and what to do. Without the hand touch rule half the D1 officials would have called it 2 when the knee touched and half give reaction time. If Alex hits that roll without his hand touvhinging it's his TD, and because he knows the rule he can clean that up.
should have been a takedown twice before that roll though according to the rules, ultimately to facundo's detriment even though he benefitted in the moment. sum total of 3 missed takedowns for amine in that sequence. good work from facundo to overcome that bad luck.

btw, my long awaited updated opinion on facundo: pain in the ass!

should have been a takedown twice before that roll though according to the rules, ultimately to facundo's detriment even though he benefitted in the moment. sum total of 3 missed takedowns for amine in that sequence. good work from facundo to overcome that bad luck.

btw, my long awaited updated opinion on facundo: pain in the ass!
Not sure where you think he had secured the TD 3 seperate times. The only time I thought "maybe" was the knee but he came off that knee quicker than the time it takes for most people to count "one".

As far as Facundo being a pain in the Hawkeye's ass and recognized as a true talent, his only loss is a 4-2 defeat to a past national champ.

I’ve been hesitant to jump on board the Levi train. I generally like to see wrestlers redshirt in their first year when practical and while the Model win was good, I don’t think I saw it in the same light as others.

We’ll, I’m fully on-board now.
Model just beat number 3 ranked Coleman from Purdue. 157 is the right weight for a young gun.

I cant wait to see S. Lee vs Gilman. My money is on the World Champ. He does have a better room to use, plus experience at the highest level.

I am with you. I think Lee has advantages on top in folk that he won't be able to exploit to the same extent in free.

Reactions: therod
i wonder if something was wrong with parris last year? he didn't look like himself.
Herniated disc in his neck all last season, generally not great for wrestling your best. And it showed, Parris ran through most everybody not named Gable the year before and then regressed quite a bit last year. Can’t wait to see Parris vs Kerk a couple more times this year.

I have now been moved to my third group of seats in BJC. I have an aisle seat in Rec, had an aisle seat in BJC until today. Not crazy where I'm located now.

Reactions: baccafarmer
Outstanding! Who in the hell wants to scramble with PSU? They got ya comin and goin. Let’s Go Pitt! So excited for the NFL games and can’t wait for the Steelers to be back next year

I have now been moved to my third group of seats in BJC. I have an aisle seat in Rec, had an aisle seat in BJC until today. Not crazy where I'm located now.
Too far from the Creamery?
tumblr_mjynlfGzHH1s2yegdo1_400.gif

I wasn't able to watch last night, just listened to Byers. Was most excited to see the 165 match and wow. It's not that Amine looked bad, he looked himself (keep in mind that he's wrestled everyone in the weight class tough, Hamiti, Marinelli, O'Toole, etc. etc.), but Facundo looked better in almost every position. And Amine looked strong and not at all gassed throughout regulation and the sudden victory periods. It wasn't until the ride-outs that he looked tired, so Facundo earned the win in every way. Facundo controlled the mat all night long and that's rare for a freshman wrestling a very seasoned (and tough) wrestler. He was the aggressor from an offensive standpoint, got the early takedown, got a tough reversal/takedown in the 3rd that was waved off after the replay, didn't allow himself to be ridden and he rode Amine well enough. Tough, tough weight class, but there's nobody there that he can't beat and there are darn few if any that he shouldn't beat in any single head to head match. It just comes down to seeds, pairings and maybe a tiny bit of luck, but Facundo absolutely looks like an All American and maybe a top 4 type of guy. And he's only going to get better, probably lots better. If he has a chink in his armor now, it would appear to be a really tough ride and the ability to pick up back points occasionally, but he'll figure that out. Wow, I'm just really excited after seeing that match and for what it's worth, I was already pretty high on Facundo.

Last edited:
Herniated disc in his neck all last season, generally not great for wrestling your best. And it showed, Parris ran through most everybody not named Gable the year before and then regressed quite a bit last year. Can’t wait to see Parris vs Kerk a couple more times this year.
Kerk just looked uninterested and tired. Kind of lethargic all match. Paris is a tough out but that’s a match that Kerk should win. Cassioppi is guy that gives Kerk issues because of his strength.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT