ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Penn State/Michigan Dual Thread.

Kerk will be fine but most in here said he separated himself from the pack. Time to come back to earth a little. Lol 😆

Reactions: diggerpup
Thing I found concerning about Kirk v Parris is how much Kirk struggled to score on Paris from Neutral. That is radically different than their prior matches where Kirk dominated Parris from Neutral.... and used that advantage to dominate his previous matches. Parris looked to have solved Kirk's offense and closed "the gap" - a match between the two looks to be no better than a toss-up. That match really surprised me in how badly Kirk struggled from Neutral.

Thing I found concerning about Kirk v Parris is how much Kirk struggled to score on Paris from Neutral. That is radically different than their prior matches where Kirk dominated Parris from Neutral.... and used that advantage to dominate his previous matches. Parris looked to have solved Kirk's offense and closed "the gap" - a match between the two looks to be no better than a toss-up. That match really surprised me in how badly Kirk struggled from Neutral.
kerk needs to do like last yr go for the leg outside then knock him down!he made it look easy last yr!

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
Spencer is going to cruise to the Hodge. The weight is weak, but he is treating top 10 kids like NQs. I think the is the best I have seen him.

I am starting to think Gilman might have to start worrying. Blasphemy, I know.

Last edited:
Survey is going to cruise to the Hodge. The weight is weak, but he is treating top 10 kids like NQs. I think the is the best I have seen him.

Spencer is incredible. But beyond Glory that weight is hot dog doodoo. Cronin being ranked No. 3 in the country is absolutely hilarious.

Still pumped up seeing big wins from Levi and Alex. Kerk lost but it’s all good. Coaches have something to work on now with him. He’ll come back.

You got to pull Levi’s shirt.

Cam Amine is legit and had big wins over Marinelli, Kharchla and Hamiti last year so that was highlight of the night for me seeing Alex get that.

I watched some of the Illinois-Northwestern meet tonight. Edmund Ruth danced thru the first 0-0. But he came alive in the 2nd and it was suddenly 11-0. A quick body lock in the 3rd ended it with a tech. The kid is really strong and loves to go upper body.
His record is 20-1, I believe.

Did it seem like tonight was our gassed out time? I feel like it was they just all performed fairly well.

I'm watching the 125 match. The commentator got the score screwed up and thought the Illinois kid Renteria got 4 back points when they were in a funky danger position. But Northwestern's DeAugostino (?) got the backs instead. The rest of the bout the announcer had Renteria ahead. When Northwestern was awarded a major, I thought the announcer was going to go out and dispute the score. It's great to have professionals behind the mike.

Team didn’t look gassed to me. Levi & Alex won in SV and looked fresher than their opponents. Beau, SVN, Carter, Brooks, and Dean all wrestled well. RBY was a little off but mostly because the Michigan wrestler slowed the bout down, especially in the first period. Credit to him. Kerk’s match was a somewhat disappointing ending to what I thought was a very good team showing.

Survey is going to cruise to the Hodge. The weight is weak, but he is treating top 10 kids like NQs. I think the is the best I have seen him.

No way is he going to horse Gilman around. Gilman will be the bigger stronger guy. Plus Gilman is wrestling and beating killers while Spencer is wrestling and yes dominating kids that most years wouldn’t even AA. What Spencer is doing is impressive but I don’t think it’s any indication he’s ready for Gilman

No way is he going to horse Gilman around. Gilman will be the bigger stronger guy. Plus Gilman is wrestling and beating killers while Spencer is wrestling and yes dominating kids that most years wouldn’t even AA. What Spencer is doing is impressive but I don’t think it’s any indication he’s ready for Gilman
a lot of people have said spencer isn't going to horse [insert strong 125 here] around. and then he does. he's a freak.

these two have wrestled a lot. spencer didn't have much trouble horsing him around according to the reports. holding him off for a full match was another question. gilman will need to weather the storm and wear him down. from what i heard, half the practice matches were early stoppages for spencer. the other half, gilman survived early and came back and beat him.

and take it this for what it's worth, but spencer apparently stopped wrestling him because he felt he had passed him and didn't want to give him opportunities to figure him out at that point.

a lot of people have said spencer isn't going to horse [insert strong 125 here] around. and then he does. he's a freak.

these two have wrestled a lot. spencer didn't have much trouble horsing him around according to the reports. holding him off for a full match was another question. gilman will need to weather the storm and wear him down. from what i heard, half the practice matches were early stoppages for spencer. the other half, gilman survived early and came back and beat him.

and take it this for what it's worth, but spencer apparently stopped wrestling him because he felt he had passed him and didn't want to give him opportunities to figure him out at that point.
At that point Gilman was also losing to all kinds of domestic guys. You saying he’s the same wrestler he was when he was still at Iowa? Come on now

TD AND back points should have been awarded for Hardy. Refs absurd at Carver. Unreal.

I liked how after the Review, the Ref rules TD but no backs (essentially no backs can be awarded because no swipes were given - they can only award them off replay clock if it is beyond blatantly obvious on the clock). But it's somewhat absurd for the Ref who ignored an obvious TD and never bothered to go to his knees to count swipes, to be yelling "TD no exposure" LMAO! I mean that Ref ignored a beyond blatantly obvious TD and exposure situation!

Team didn’t look gassed to me. Levi & Alex won in SV and looked fresher than their opponents. Beau, SVN, Carter, Brooks, and Dean all wrestled well. RBY was a little off but mostly because the Michigan wrestler slowed the bout down, especially in the first period. Credit to him. Kerk’s match was a somewhat disappointing ending to what I thought was a very good team showing.
Agree with this^^. Only Kerk looked sluggish to me.

At that point Gilman was also losing to all kinds of domestic guys. You saying he’s the same wrestler he was when he was still at Iowa? Come on now
this was happening when he was coming off a silver medal. and i don't think he magically got stronger at psu. better at wrestling? sure. but if spencer was stronger than him then, he's gonna be stronger now.

Key takeaways:

I give the team an "A" overall . A few nit picks but not many. We are known for some mid-January let downs due to conditioning. How can you not love what the 4 young guns did tonight.

Steen - 2x state champ but despite some insisting, he is not 'elite'. I don't really understand how some other programs have backups that are stronger. We don't need him but I am both disappointed for him and by him. Harsh, I know.

RBY can win a shutdown match against anyone, I just wish he would go balls out, try to keep the bonus streak alive and who cares if you give up a few sloppy points trying.

Bartlett, Van Ness, Haines Facundo we're all fantastic, 3 vs excellent competition. We are on our way with the next wave in house. This is Cael's most balanced team ever for sure.

Facundo is adding skills each time out. He almost got screwed by my #1 rules change request. So the ref makes the mistake and missed what I certainly saw in the Amine TD, Facundo immediately jumps on the opportunity for a continuation reversal. It is so friggin obvious they should allow continuation until a break in the action when a brick is thrown and the call reversed. The 'fairer' rule to the wrestlers is 2 and 2, especially for an official's mistake. The counter argument is the wrestlers don't 'hear' a call and might wrestle differently as a result. I call bullshit - continuation is continuation. Had Ryan had a brick he might have reversed Bo's pin of Miles because he wasn't awarded 2 back points before the elevator. Mark my words, some poor kid is going to lose a national championship someday because a ref screwed up and they take the winning points away.

Kerk - I am a little disappointed with his conditioning and tactics, but not in the slightest worried. Paris horsed him a bit from above, Kerk needs to use his quickness and superior athletic ability for slide byes, outside singles, and counter shot go behinds. I was impressed with Paris' strength defending. Kudos but it won't work next time.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU Fan in TN
I liked how after the Review, the Ref rules TD but no backs (essentially no backs can be awarded because no swipes were given - they can only award them off replay clock if it is beyond blatantly obvious on the clock). But it's somewhat absurd for the Ref who ignored an obvious TD and never bothered to go to his knees to count swipes, to be yelling "TD no exposure" LMAO! I mean that Ref ignored a beyond blatantly obvious TD and exposure situation!
they actually couldn't award them at all even with the replay clock. as soon as they change something, everything after stops. so they restart at the point of the takedown and hardy is robbed of the backpoints because of the replay rules.

no question, this guy is having a BAD night, but he also screwed woods right after that.

I really didn’t think Kerk looked *that* bad. Maybe a bit less explosive but that’s the first match he’s really had to score in in the third all year and Mason has definitely gotten a bit bigger. Needs to find an angle next time. The tired, lazy shot in the third was bad.

Did it seem like tonight was our gassed out time? I feel like it was they just all performed fairly well.
I don't think so. Plus doesn't Cael usually do that on an away trip?

With the exception of Kerk, I thought everyone had pretty good energy. He just seemed off not being able to collect any of those leg shots and then giving up an easy TD in the third.

I cant wait to see S. Lee vs Gilman. My money is on the World Champ. He does have a better room to use, plus experience at the highest level.

i think he's just bad. the worst i've ever seen at this level. he helped the hawks, but also hurt them. cost woods 2 NF of his own, so that match evened out.

I'm actually curious at the "same hold" overturn ruling there. I agree with the call, but in my mind the result would be that he gets the 4 instead of the 2? I guess the ruling is that "awarding the 2" is the call that is getting reversed, but then they kept the 2, so that doesn't track logically.

So, right, Woods shouldn't get 6, but not sure how he gets to keep the 2 that was improperly awarded vs the 4 that was right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT