ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Penn State/Michigan Dual Thread.

Capturing/syncing the entire dual wire to wire would be pretty time-consuming. Any specific bouts you'd most like to see?

I imagine Jeff lost it when Levi and Alex won (if he realized Alex won--most people at the BJC didn't until his hand was raised).
It’s was so funny to me cause I jumped up as soon as the riding time was secured and people around me were like “wut?”

He has faced no one in the same stratosphere as Thomas Gilman.

Look at how Gilman wrestles. He might dislike the comparison, but it’s very Iranian-like. Insane forward pressure. He has many opponents under severe physiological duress in the first period.
look at the message i was responding to. it was about whether spencer has recovered from surgery, not whether liam cronin is on holman’s level.

for part of that time he had one! also, have you been watching him this year? looks pretty good to me...
Lee has looked awesome. My only question is what happens if, and it's a big if, someone can keep it relatively close and take it into the third. Maybe Glory. Maybe. But, based on the past few weeks, I don't see anyone else taking it into the second.

Didn't look shell-shocked to me - looked gassed imho. The shot he took smacked of a "being gassed" induced desperation shot to try to win match in regulation because he had nothing left for SV.

It was just a brief second.

Of course seeing it on rewind, he might be looking up at the clock. 51:16-20 in below vid.

Reactions: hlstone
wPXleHY.jpg

S64UDta.jpg

zHWPUkf.jpg

yeIIjEh.jpg
n
My boy Levi looks like the kid from DUNE!! Timothy Califant (spelling?) When he ran by Cael yesterday did anyone hear him say "Cael, the Sleeper has Awoken!!!!!"

I don't like the rule. In basketball they call a 3 pt shot but wait til a pause in play to check if the shooter's foot was on the line. If it was they take away a point but they don't go back and reverse everything from the time he took the shot.
But
Andonian was clearly not well at the All-Star.
Andonian just majored #6 Scott from NC State 24-10 so he seems back healthy for now.

If I was at home I'd take them, but I'm about 700 miles away. Nice of you to offer. (This was in regards to Raslen's offer of tickets for tomorrow).

(1) Excellent work, Tikk. I especially liked the shot you captured with Lewan and Haines looking into one another’s eyes — while both were looking, neither was conceding a clue as to his next move.*

(2) Who is going to be the first to drop this NLWC pic into a Go Iowa Awesome (RIP tHR) thread? @backdrft76 ?

*As a yute, I was always instructed to watch my opponent’s hips rather than his eyes. Seems like it’s the opposite at the higher levels.

P
his knee hits twice and there is no reaction time in that position. doesn't need people to be able to count to one. it touches, it's two. then he hits again on the roll, which is the third. even the review was a little confusing because they give the takedown on the second knee touch, not the roll. so why not give it at the first knee touch? it's the same thing. facundo was actually robbed of an extra two seconds to escape by them not restarting at :22 - though he didn't need them.

in regards to my opinion on him, i'm getting travis wittlake deja vu. i made similar claims about him his freshman year. overrated recruit who tailed off a bit at the end of high school and mediocre redshirt year. but then he comes out as a freshman and just keeps winning close matches all the way to a high podium finish. now, i think 165 is tougher now, so i don't see 4th in the cards, but i'd put facundo in the 7-r12 tier right now. i had him as a r16 guy coming in.
The hand touch is no reaction time, anything else is reaction time. The rule is explicit.

Last edited:
P

The hand touch is no reaction time.

Agree, the only one that is a "zero raction" time instant TD is when there are "three points of contact" (i.e., both feet and hand). On the earlier examples cited such as when his knee hits on the initiated roll by LH, it is not an immediate TD when knee hits as "reaction time" is still given in this situation as there are not "three points of contact". Murin did not maintain control through "reaction time".

no it's any supporting point once a rear standing position is established. if it was only a hand, they would have restarted at :12, not :20.

No, it isn't any supporting point in that situation - it is a "zero-reaction time" TD (i.e., instantaneous) if the defensive wrestler goes to "three points of contact" from that position (i.e., offensive wrestler has him in a rear-standing position). In this case specifically, two feet and a hand - i.e., "tripod". Murin was still circling as he stood, but LH's hand (fingers actually) were still on mat as he successfully stood to two feet, but Murin got behind him just before hand/fingers left contact with mat..... Instantaneous TD in that situation because of rear-standing position and three points of contact by defensive wrestler.

no it's any supporting point once a rear standing position is established. if it was only a hand, they would have restarted at :12, not :20.
It isn't like I just gave you u my opinion. It is called the hand touch rule for a reason. When walking back onto the mat one of the refs says "the hand touched". The entire sequence was officiated correctly.

Section 2. Takedowns
Art. 1. Match Takedowns. A takedown shall be awarded when, from the neutral
position, a competitor gains control of the opponent by taking the opponent
down to the mat in bounds and beyond reaction. Exception: Rule 4.2.2.
Art. 2. Hand-Touch Takedown. To award a takedown, reaction time is not
required in instances in which a wrestler has rear-standing neutral control of
their opponent and from the standing position the defending wrestler's hand
comes in contact with the mat. (See Illustrations.)

So what's with us season ticket holders getting hosed on our BJC seat assignments this year? I went from section 105 close to center mat and 4 rows up from floor to section 101 deep corner and 20+ rows from floor. I use to sit right behind the PSU bench and had great views of the team and the who's who sitting by them. Now I can't hardly make a person out I'm so far away. Not to mention a lot farther from the mat. Same as someone mentioned early in the thread.....none of my Rec Hall neighbors anywhere around.

At the BJC only NLC points count for seat selection. After NLC points comes season ticket consideration.

Yeah, your average fan does not keep up with the rules. I was on my feet cheering while everyone around me expected it to go to another sv period.
To be fair to the “average fan”, it was pretty clear that Byers forgot the rule change too. He covered but it took him a few seconds to realize the match was over.

Kerk just looked uninterested and tired. Kind of lethargic all match. Paris is a tough out but that’s a match that Kerk should win. Cassioppi is guy that gives Kerk issues because of his strength.
Parris is plenty strong, and also athletic. Parris is also 3-0 against Cassioppi, including two falls.

Kerk lost to Cassioppi three times because:
  • In the first match Kerk was just back from injury/illness, was a shell of his normal self
  • In the second match Kerk tried to go upper body (didn't work)
  • In the third match, Kerk pretty much had it won but made a bonehead decision late in the bout and lost in OT
Also, Kerk beat Cassioppi in al All-Star type match in November, FWIW. But there are a number of other factors involved more significant than a strength differential.

Reactions: Creek Side
I wasn't able to watch last night, just listened to Byers. Was most excited to see the 165 match and wow. It's not that Amine looked bad, he looked himself (keep in mind that he's wrestled everyone in the weight class tough, Hamiti, Marinelli, O'Toole, etc. etc.), but Facundo looked better in almost every position. And Amine looked strong and not at all gassed throughout regulation and the sudden victory periods. It wasn't until the ride-outs that he looked tired, so Facundo earned the win in every way. Facundo controlled the mat all night long and that's rare for a freshman wrestling a very seasoned (and tough) wrestler. He was the aggressor from an offensive standpoint, got the early takedown, got a tough reversal/takedown in the 3rd that was waved off after the replay, didn't allow himself to be ridden and he rode Amine well enough. Tough, tough weight class, but there's nobody there that he can't beat and there are darn few if any that he shouldn't beat in any single head to head match. It just comes down to seeds, pairings and maybe a tiny bit of luck, but Facundo absolutely looks like an All American and maybe a top 4 type of guy. And he's only going to get better, probably lots better. If he has a chink in his armor now, it would appear to be a really tough ride and the ability to pick up back points occasionally, but he'll figure that out. Wow, I'm just really excited after seeing that match and for what it's worth, I was already pretty high on Facundo.
In addition to needing a tougher ride, Facundo also needs more consistent offense from neutral. Scoring the first TD against Amine on the ankle pick was huge and obviously set him up much better to win. But he doesn't put up a lot points and so will be in a lot of close matches against the upper echelon guys. That's where the lack of a tough ride may become an issue.

That said, his quick escapes against Amine were encouraging and a big factor in winning that match. And there isn't much question about Facundo's defense.

Reactions: Ski and billrag
In addition to needing a tougher ride, Facundo also needs more consistent offense from neutral. Scoring the first TD against Amine on the ankle pick was huge and obviously set him up much better to win. But he doesn't put up a lot points and so will be in a lot of close matches against the upper echelon guys. That's where the lack of a tough ride may become an issue.

That said, his quick escapes against Amine were encouraging and a big factor in winning that match. And there isn't much question about Facundo's defense.
I think you are being a little hard on Alex. The kid has a gas tank that matches SVN. He keeps coming at you. I think he was a little unsure of Amine and was feeling him out as he should. Amine was ranked 10+ higher than him and is pretty strong and crafty like all the Amine's. I thought he played the match perfectly. The kid is like a wrestling sponge. You can see he is learning and improving after every match! I watched Kennedy from Iowa against Nebraska and I am VERY confident Alex will take it to him next week. Kennedy does not have the gas tank and his strength is average. Come 3rd period next week, I see Alex piling the points on him. He and Levi and I will throw SVN in there as well are just fun to watch!!! Cael just rolls out hammer after hammer!!!!

I think you are being a little hard on Alex. The kid has a gas tank that matches SVN. He keeps coming at you. I think he was a little unsure of Amine and was feeling him out as he should. Amine was ranked 10+ higher than him and is pretty strong and crafty like all the Amine's. I thought he played the match perfectly. The kid is like a wrestling sponge. You can see he is learning and improving after every match! I watched Kennedy from Iowa against Nebraska and I am VERY confident Alex will take it to him next week. Kennedy does not have the gas tank and his strength is average. Come 3rd period next week, I see Alex piling the points on him. He and Levi and I will throw SVN in there as well are just fun to watch!!! Cael just rolls out hammer after hammer!!!!
Facundo's bout against #25 ranked Fish of MSU was a case in point. No takedowns in regulation time, and didn't even try to ride the opponent. Facundo hit a nice duck-under to win in OT, but it's an MO with little margin for error. He is sound enough to hang with most anyone, but will also be in a lot of close matches. Just a little more offense and a tougher ride would go a long way to make him a serious threat.

But then again he's still a RS frosh in his first year as a starter.

Thank You Tikk. It's still weird seeing Dake in that group.
I couldn't help but think that seeing KD wearing a Nittany Lion sweatshirt may have been triggering for some diehard Cornell fans. What kind of reception did he get from the PSU fans in the BJC Friday night? It was a bit hard to tell from the broadcast.

BTW, fantastic photos as always Tikk. Thx for sharing!

I couldn't help but think that seeing KD wearing a Nittany Lion sweatshirt may have been triggering for some diehard Cornell fans. What kind of reception did he get from the PSU fans in the BJC Friday night? It was a bit hard to tell from the broadcast.

BTW, fantastic photos as always Tikk. Thx for sharing!
Pretty sure he got the same amount of cheers that all 5 got.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT