ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State survives Bowling Green upset bid 34-27

I am late to this thread, but maybe the worst part of this game was AK turtling up on the playcalling. Actually thought he called an awful game. I also feel that we need to make a change at WR coach. Thank God for Warren to compensate for our absentee WR‘s. On the defensive side, we obviously made good adjustments at halftime. Hopefully we can clear up a lot of garbage over the next two weeks in practice.
I have to agree. I am not a big fan of the Beau plan especially when Drew was having an all-pro first half. I didn't see a lot of pre-snap creativity like last week. We had two critical dropped balls. One was to Evans. the other was a more difficult catch by Allen that ended up being ruled incomplete after a review. We also had the tough offensive PI call, which was correct IMHO but is not always called. They did throw at least one pass to Flemming. Allar was 13 for 20 (with two drops). We ran the ball 36 times and had 234 yards. With BG having a lot of possession time, we only ran 56 plays. Obviously, the problem was the defense not the offense.

Reactions: bison13 and paddoce
Penn State completed 13 passes with only 3 completions to wide receivers (Evans 2, Flemming 1). If the WR play doesn't improve greatly then this team is going nowhere.
We aren't running any bubble screens to the WRs. I am not sure why. We did run one to Flemming and, I think, two or three to Warren.

Typical Franklin football. Alot of smoke no fire. Allar isnt the guy. He doesnt see the field. To bad there wasnt a way to measure a players heart.
Allar completed 65% of his passes, 2 TD, 1 INT. His stats would have been better if Evans didn't drop one, wasn't called for interference on another, and Warren's catch wouldn't have been called back for holding.

Penn State completed 13 passes with only 3 completions to wide receivers (Evans 2, Flemming 1). If the WR play doesn't improve greatly then this team is going nowhere.
Agree completely. What happened to Wallace? Fleming a total non-factor. Major concern.

Reactions: mnuccio2 and jjw165
Allar completed 65% of his passes, 2 TD, 1 INT. His stats would have been better if Evans weren't called for interference and Warren's catch wouldn't have been called back for holding.
Ignore him--he just loves Beau

I am late to this thread, but maybe the worst part of this game was AK turtling up on the playcalling. Actually thought he called an awful game. I also feel that we need to make a change at WR coach. Thank God for Warren to compensate for our absentee WR‘s. On the defensive side, we obviously made good adjustments at halftime. Hopefully we can clear up a lot of garbage over the next two weeks in practice.
I started to comment and used the exact same phrase as you: turtling up. I think that's Franklin and not AK. The play calling was pretty good until we got the lead. BG is a good team. QB is good and the RBs and TE are very good. But it would be nice if we could just stomp on an inferior team like this instead of trying not to lose and letting them hang around. We were rolling, got the lead, then started to run into the line on every 1st and 2nd down.

I thought Allar played OK but we ruined drives with drops, penalties, and running that unbelievably stupid 2 QB set where we are basically playing 10 on 11. Drew starts getting into a rhythm and we're moving the ball then we split him out wide for 2 plays. Infuriating.

Yup. BGSU smacked us in mouth all first half but give them credit as QB and that WR Johnson were just better with execution. I was highly disappointed with play calling more than anything. That stupid INT in EZ was classic Franklin stubbornness.

Stop running!!

I started to comment and used the exact same phrase as you: turtling up. I think that's Franklin and not AK. The play calling was pretty good until we got the lead. BG is a good team. QB is good and the RBs and TE are very good. But it would be nice if we could just stomp on an inferior team like this instead of trying not to lose and letting them hang around. We were rolling, got the lead, then started to run into the line on every 1st and 2nd down.

I thought Allar played OK but we ruined drives with drops, penalties, and running that unbelievably stupid 2 QB set where we are basically playing 10 on 11. Drew starts getting into a rhythm and we're moving the ball then we split him out wide for 2 plays. Infuriating.
Zac as a wideout redux

• Sad
Reactions: WaffleShopper

We got into this pattern of very predictable playcalling in the second half. It was too much run run pass and not enough layering routes downfield to give Allar safe check downs. Just such an odd game plan compared to the first game. And I know Allen had a good game and I appreciate everything he does, but I cannot help but wonder if our offense is 7 to 10 points per game better with Singleton as the sole feature back.

Is any of this surprising? The WRs stink and Allar gets antsy when things aren’t going well.

I was mostly surprised by our defensive coaching in that first half. But to Allen’s credit, they made the adjustments in the second half. Carter bounced back though, exactly what I’ve come to expect from him.

One small criticism is the RB rotation. Although Kaytron hit 100, it felt like Singleton didn’t get the ride he deserved. A couple of those long Kaytron runs would’ve been TDs with Singleton in there. Singleton has really improved his fundamentals and vision from last season.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
We were awful on offense in the 2nd half and yes the play calling was horrific. At the end of first half we had first and ten at their 13 and had a miserable play calling series. I thought we regressed on offense today and a lot was playcalling. Looked like a Yurcich called game. The defense was worse but the offense was lousy as well.

Is any of this surprising? The WRs stink and Allar gets antsy when things aren’t going well.

I was mostly surprised by our defensive coaching in that first half. But to Allen’s credit, they made the adjustments in the second half. Carter bounced back though, exactly what I’ve come to expect from him.

One small criticism is the RB rotation. Although Kaytron hit 100, it felt like Singleton didn’t get the ride he deserved. A couple of those long Kaytron runs would’ve been TDs with Singleton in there. Singleton has really improved his fundamentals and vision from last season.
It’s painfully obvious that Singleton has a full 2/10 of a second on Allen in the 40 yard dash.

Both backs had 14 touches today--the only thing we need is to get Singleton the ball more in the pass game. 14/13 carries for both is plenty.

We were awful on offense in the 2nd half and yes the play calling was horrific. At the end of first half we had first and ten at their 13 and had a miserable play calling series. I thought we regressed on offense today and a lot was playcalling. Looked like a Yurcich called game. The defense was worse but the offense was lousy as well.
Nothing has changed. Not surprised really.

CBS Sports headline:

Penn State survives Bowling Green scare: Shaky performance casts doubt over No. 8 Nittany Lions as contender​

What goodwill that No. 8 Penn State generated with its dominant season-opening performance against West Virginia took precisely one week to evaporate as the Nittany Lions limped to a 34-27 win against Bowling Green on Saturday -- despite entering their first home game of the year as 36.5-point favorites.

• Haha
Reactions: psu 83
CBS Sports headline:

Penn State survives Bowling Green scare: Shaky performance casts doubt over No. 8 Nittany Lions as contender​

What goodwill that No. 8 Penn State generated with its dominant season-opening performance against West Virginia took precisely one week to evaporate as the Nittany Lions limped to a 34-27 win against Bowling Green on Saturday -- despite entering their first home game of the year as 36.5-point favorites.
In 2 months, no one will even remember we played BGSU

That is true if we win. Not saying we are at the level of those two teams, but we squeaked a few out vs far lesser teams in 86 and 95.
If we don't continue to win nothing matters anyway lol
But, like, ND is down 6 to NIU at the half--do we think their season is over if they come back and win in the second half?
It's just an overreaction

Interesting how people think the playcalling changed in the second half when Penn State would’ve scored four times if not for the bad interception in the end zone and the penalty on the Warren catch.

Kent State is down 23-14 to St Francis (PA)--so, yeah, we have some time to figure things out

CBS Sports headline:

Sad Baby GIF

Interesting how people think the playcalling changed in the second half when Penn State would’ve scored four times if not for the bad interception in the end zone and the penalty on the Warren catch.

I think most of the complaints are overreacting simply because of the opponent. It's fine to dislike today's performance, but we have fans who don't even know what they are watching.

Reactions: bison13
I think most of the complaints are overreacting simply because of the opponent. It's fine to dislike today's performance, but we have fans who don't even know what they are watching.
We got predictable with run run run late in the first half/early second half but then it approved. I don't think it was anything to do with the opponent other than the play calling may have been run heavy at times because AK believed we could outpower them. Both FG drives were questionable late

Reactions: lazydave841
We got predictable with run run run late in the first half/early second half but then it approved. I don't think it was anything to do with the opponent other than the play calling may have been run heavy at times because AK believed we could outpower them. Both FG drives were questionable late

It's was truly an audition for our K.

In 2 months, no one will even remember we played BGSU
It's not about remembering this game or not. Yeah we won barely against a 30 pt underdog. It is the implication moving forward. A lot of question marks/concerns about how good we really are.

Reactions: Ski
It's not about remembering this game or not. Yeah we won barely against a 30 pt underdog. It is the implication moving forward. A lot of question marks/concerns about how good we really are.
But...aside from Texas and Georgia--isn't that kind of true for everyone.
We knew there were issues after the WVU game. We didn't tackle well, only Wallace really was productive as a WR, do we have a kicker, etc.
There's clearly opportunities to get better but the passing game is better, the run game is better, the defense adjusted well in the second half.
I still think the team bought into their own hype almost to the point they felt like they beat Ohio State or Michigan and then took BGSU lightly. Kent State is basically a scrimmage in 2 weeks (they're going to lose to St Francis)--we have time to figure things out.

Reactions: lazydave841
Yeah we won barely against a 30 pt underdog. It is the implication moving forward. A lot of question marks/concerns about how good we really are.

We are back at square 1. Based on 3 weeks of football, only a handful of teams look complete. A lot of the questions and concerns we had preseason still exist. That's okay. We have time to fix it. Nobody will believe we are good until we beat USC or OSU. Winning 55-10 today wouldn't have changed that.

But...aside from Texas and Georgia--isn't that kind of true for everyone.
We knew there were issues after the WVU game. We didn't tackle well, only Wallace really was productive as a WR, do we have a kicker, etc.
There's clearly opportunities to get better but the passing game is better, the run game is better, the defense adjusted well in the second half.
I still think the team bought into their own hype almost to the point they felt like they beat Ohio State or Michigan and then took BGSU lightly. Kent State is basically a scrimmage in 2 weeks (they're going to lose to St Francis)--we have time to figure things out.
Well we found a kicker for now. Lost a passing game to WRs which is bad. And an offense that showed signs of the ghost of Mike Yurcich. Defense played better but could not have been worse so yeah I would expect the 2nd half to be better. By the way what is going on with Winston? Clearly not ready to play as a team overall. Hopefully we learn from this and play better and better heading into USC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT