ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - Indiana Dual Thread

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
post comments, PBP, etc. in this thread.

I can do PBP on a couple of matches, but that's likely to be all for me

sounds as though Gulibon, Van Curra, Rasheed, and Johnson are going for PSU today.

the dual is starting at 157

Indy's only ranked guy is at 174, where Nate Jackson, Jr. is ranked #11.

Looks as though Indy has 5 starters from Indiana, 1 from California, 1 from Michigan, 1 from Illinois, 1 from Ohio, and 1 from California.

157:
Jason Nolf vs. Jake Danishek (RS Fresh, 11-3)

1st
slow start to the period. half way thru, nothing. Nolf starts on a double, goes to single, and gets the TD, 2-0. tries a cradle, can't lock it up. stall warning on Danishek just before the TD.

Ughh, missed a stretch, and it's 7-1 at the end of the 2nd. 2:19 in RT for Nolf

3rd
Danishek on bottom. Nolf cuts him, 7-2. Nolf with a TD, 9-2, and then a cut, 9-3. Nolf with a TD, 11-3, and a cut, 11-4. Nolf in a leg, 13-4. OOB with 1:15 left. RT is assured. Caution on Nolf. Cut, 11-5. TD Nolf, cut, then a TD. 8 TDs at this point. 17-6, with 40 sec left. Esc, 17-7. Nolf in again, and gets the TD, 19-7, tries to tilt, then a stall warning, 20-8, a cut, 20-8. Shoots, but runs out of time. With RT, it's 21-8

20-8 nolf. Announcers need at least a crash course in wrestling. Perhaps I should not throw stones from a glass house.

Rasheed up 2-0 with td in first.

Rasheed with 11-2 win With riding time. Late take down after long scramble for Illinois.

Bo with td. Jackson with reversal. 2-2. Bo attempted throw and ends up on his back. Jackson with 4 near fall.

Bo escape 6-3. End of 2nd. Jackson with stall warning.

Bo td beginning of 3rd. 6-5. Blood time. Jackson escape. 7-5. More blood time. Bo with bloody nose.

Bo in on leg and awarded td. Overturned on video review. Still 7-5. Bo in on leg but cannot get td. 7-5 loss. Wow.

Gotta run. Hopefully Bo will only get better from this loss. I think he will.

Nate Jackson just fell up into a victory, don't see any reason Bo should drop in the rankings

I hope Bo doesn't go conservative after his throw backfired. That will happen sometimes. Better to happen in a a dual than the tournament.

Gotta run. Hopefully Bo will only get better from this loss. I think he will.
Final was 7-6 after a stall point with :30 left. Bo close to a takedown in final seconds but couldn't get it done....very surprising loss for Bo, but probably a good thing to experience at this stage of the season.

Final was 7-6 after a stall point with :30 left. Bo close to a takedown in final seconds but couldn't get it done....very surprising loss for Bo, but probably a good thing to experience at this stage of the season.

Yep. Sorry about that. My 13 yr old pointed that out as wel. o_O

Reactions: gymdad
Bo was the aggressor and just ended up on the wrong end of the throw. He wasnt close to RT cause of the amount of time he gave up on his back in 1st.

that being said when your down 4, going to a collar tie and being ear to ear for 40+ seconds isnt going to allow you enough time to mount a comeback with a guy that clearly was content to ride out his lead.

Shame for bo to take the loss but in the grand scheme, he will get more from the loss then what would have been a great come from behind win in my opinion.

Agree, Dunk. I think Bo will learn a lot from this match. Very close on a lot of those shots.

Freshman mistake. Bo needs to pick his spots a little better for those kind of moves. Better now then in March.

Bo was the aggressor and just ended up on the wrong end of the throw. He wasnt close to RT cause of the amount of time he gave up on his back in 1st.

that being said when your down 4, going to a collar tie and being ear to ear for 40+ seconds isnt going to allow you enough time to mount a comeback with a guy that clearly was content to ride out his lead.

Shame for bo to take the loss but in the grand scheme, he will get more from the loss then what would have been a great come from behind win in my opinion.
The long review didn't help. Bo was the better conditioned wrestler and that break helped IU. What was Bo gesturing about - did he want a review? Congrats to the IU wrestler, hope they meet up down the road.

Can anyone describe what happened with the unsportsmanlike penalty that Indiana got?

Oliver just spent his entire match running from Nico and got about 10 minutes of concussion time, that was a pretty pathetic display of "wrestling."

Goldman is yelling at oliver to circle in, right up next to the mat. Oliver does not listen, goldman kicks the floor, looks to the sky and sits down on the bench. says a lot about that match....4 stall calls under any circumstances is bad and probably a half dozen more could have been called.

Reactions: psualt
I'm back

Gulibon vs. Cole Weaver

1st
Jimmy with the TD, 2-0. Weaver with an esc, 2-1. Weaver a 3X Michigan State Champ. Gulibon in on a single, gets behind for the TD, 4-1. Stalemate with 1:09 remaining. Caution on Jimmy on the restart. Weaver to feet, and he escapes, 4-2. 50 sec left. Jimmy outside single to a double for the TD, 6-2. Rideout. 1:20 in RT for Jimmy

2nd
Jimmy takes bottom. Caution on Jimmy. Jimmy up and out in 7 sec, 7-2. Collar ties, Jimmy in on a single, tries to lift but loses it. Stall warning on Weaver. Weaver in on thigh, sprawl, and a stalemate. Jimmy working hard, Weaver blocking and defending. Jimmy snaps the head, gets behind, nothing awarded, Jimmy reaches across for the other leg but OOB with 10 sec. End. 1:13 in RT for Jimmy

3rd
Weaver takes bottom. He gets bellied out, and is hit with a stall warning, 8-2. Weaver working to his knees, and he pushes him away for the esc, 8-3. Jimmy with a double for a TD, 10-3. RT is assured. Weaver to his feet, and Jimmy hangs on for the rideout. 2:15 in RT for a 11-3 major

149:
ZPain vs. Luke Blanton

1st
Zain in on a double and gets the TD about 45 sec in, 2-0. Zain under the left arm, gets a tilt and swipes, then Blanton nearly gets the reversal but Zain maintains control. 2 NF, 4-0. 1 min remaining, and ZPain continues to ride. Blanton tries to back out, not happening. Zain under the left arm, getting swipes, and Zain with the pin!!!!!!!!!! 2:42 was the time of the pin.

PSU wins it 34 - 8

TDs: PSU 27, Indy 5

Freshman mistake. Bo needs to pick his spots a little better for those kind of moves. Better now then in March.

Yup, I'll take regular season losses related to over-aggression every time over the lumbering, locked-up, push-fest wins we see from so many from our rivals. No big deal.

I had to turn off the announcers on the BTN after the nickal match...ugh

So put JB on and I think he said it best at the end...paraphrasing...ugly win but with all the travel the past 8 days and matches this team looked off today.

I think our bar is set pretty high because even though this was ugly in a few places, there was a neutron bomb more energy in this match then in the scUM v tO$U match

Happy for Jimmy and Van Cura

Reactions: T J
The Ref actually called stalling fairly quickly throughout the match. That is the 1st match I noticed it called that many times for back peddling.

Ernie Lucas Award to Devon Van Cura for his come-from-behind win at 184 (he won 5-3)

I imagine Bo has missed a throw or 2 in the room. Learn the specific reason why it didn't work, how to fix it, and move on.

By far the worse announcers I've every heard for a tv match. Home boys is a mild description for these two goofs! The referee was absolutely horrible as well. Indiana circled and backed off the matt too many times to count and very few times resulted in any sort of penalty.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT