19 George Mason 24 - 1 - - - - - - - -
20 The Citadel 21 - - - - - - - - - -
21 Lehigh University 19 - 2 - - - - - - - -
22 Columbia 17.5 - - - - - - - - - -
23 Gardner-Webb 8 - - - - - - - - - -
24 NC State - - 2 - - - - - - - -
24 North Carolina - - - - - - - - - - -
24 Pittsburgh - - 1 - - - - - - - -

Didn't see how White's points came but I'm guessing a first period takedown and rideout, followed by a second period wire-to-wire rideout. White is good but anyone looking for mystery about who should be starting at HWT will be disappointed, in all likelihood.

Exactly what happened.

Reactions: diggerpup
I think we need to enjoy this season as much as we possibly can.

I do not see Teske, Teasdale, Berge, Verkleeren, Manville, and Seth Nevills as pieces of a championship team.

RBY and Brooks will be studs. Beard...I have no idea.

I realize this is an extremely pessimistic post and people will talk about other teams waiting for Ruth and Taylor to graduate only to be met with the likes of Retherford, Nolf, and Nickal. I just don't know if I have confidence in lightning striking a third time.

In Cael we trust I suppose.

Trust your eyes. Don't let the homers break you. Had to go through it myself with my opinions on Manville, Nevills and Cutch. You're not completely wrong and the majority of those guys had visible issues coming out of HS. Trusting the process is fine, and I see lots are using Shak and Cassar as examples, but those two had freak athleticism that flashed very early on in their collegiate career.

I do like Joe Lee (though haven't seen him in a minute), and I love Michael Beard, so we'll see.

Score update:

-- All-time record is 198, set by the Cowboys in 2017
-- PSU at 179 as of now
-- RBY and Berge can get 3.5 more each by winning the consi semi's, plus one more by placing 3rd, plus bonus
-- PSU has finalists at 7 weight classes, each worth 4 points, plus bonus

19 point difference. Looks possible...let's see how RBY and Berge do first.

Last edited:
And I didn't hear one single PSU fan say anything about ol' noodle arms being any less a BP guy at 197. Maybe you meant non-Penn Staters?
I'll fess up and say I did -- within the context that
(1) Bo couldn't possibly be any more prolific of a bonus point machine (could he?);
(2) Quentin Wright's bonus rate declined at 197, so Bo's declining was not unrealistic;
(2) Bo would be the undefeated 197 champ and score plenty of bonus, just maybe a little less statospheric than we're used to.

Probably not the stance you guys were thinking of, but still.

RBY v Pengilly (Stanford)
Consi-semis
  • Pengilly in on a leg, RBY manages to stave it off before switching up and going behind for two
  • Pengilly out, 2-1 RBY, halfway through first
  • RBY grabs a leg from space and initiates a scramble he eventually gets the better of, going up 4-1
  • Pengilly out, 4-2, closing seconds of first, RBY with :46 RT
Second
  • Pengilly choice, defers, RBY chooses bottom
  • As in previous matches this tournament, RBY having some trouble getting out from under, his quickness is a step behind
  • RBY up and scampers away, RT now 00, RBY up 5-2
  • Pengilly gets to an ankle but RBY with some creative D, forces a scramble and the period will end
Third
  • Neutral
  • Straight on double from RBY and manages to stave off a whizzer D to go up 7-2
  • Pengilly out, 7-3, RT no factor
  • RBY with a leg and now he's behind, 9-3; lets him up 9-4
  • Another head on double and it's 11-4
  • RBY continues to ride and it ends 11-4 (perhaps should've let him up with 10 seconds left to try for the major?)

Last edited:
I'll fess up and say I did -- within the context that
(1) Bo couldn't possibly be any more prolific of a bonus point machine (could he?);
(2) Quentin Wright's bonus rate declined at 197, so Bo's declining was not unrealistic;
(2) Bo would be the undefeated 197 champ and score plenty of bonus, just maybe a little less statospheric than we're used to.

Probably not the stance you guys were thinking of, but still.

Cael ruined him.

Reactions: dsites52
Rasheed v Colbray (ISU)
  • Colbray and Rasheed both shoot but Colbray has the leg. But Rasheed picks his ankle and looked to have a TD
  • Wild scramble from space ensued with Rasheed looking twice for a standing cradle, and hitting it solidly the second time, stacks Colbray for the pin.

Shak would probably be ok with moving Nationals to Chattanooga :)

Berge v Degen (ISU)
  • Degen looks like his coach Derek St. John he's so lanky
  • Degen with a sloppy shot, Berge shrugs behind, lifts, can't get the TD though
  • Hands to the face? 1-0, Degen
  • Berge gets both legs wrapped up on a nice double with :17 left, now up 2-1
  • Degen trying to switch, Berge gets hit with a stall warning, but doesn't give up a point, period ends 2-1
Second
  • Degen down, and he's straight up and out, 2-2, :29 RT Berge
  • Degen dives for an ankle but Berge sprawling, fights it off and they're both on their feet again
  • Berge gets to an ankle, then another (seemingly a mile away) and gets the 2. Degen right up for 4-3 lead
Third
  • Berge chooses neutral rather than risk Degen's ride
  • Berge in on legs, tries to go back door, stalemate, one minute left
  • Berge another double attempt, backs off
  • Berge goes behind off a bad shot, gets to legs and converts, 6-4, make that 7-4 with RT

Last edited:
Surprised everyone is getting so fired up about 149, we don't have a sure AA and know what that is ok. I was all in with Verk but he didn't show that he could mentally bounce back and won't get another chance to show that since the next tournament is Big10. Berge has great defense but hasn't been able to pull the trigger enough against decent opponents. That can be fixed over time, if we get an AA great if not that is ok. Some of my favorite wrestlers didn't AA there freshman year (Morgan Mac)

Trust your eyes. Don't let the homers break you. Had to go through it myself with my opinions on Manville, Nevills and Cutch. You're not completely wrong and the majority of those guys had visible issues coming out of HS. Trusting the process is fine, and I see lots are using Shak and Cassar as examples, but those two had freak athleticism that flashed very early on in their collegiate career.

I do like Joe Lee (though haven't seen him in a minute), and I love Michael Beard, so we'll see.

No love for Aaron Brooks?

Don't like that Berge let's inferior wrestlers stay too close. Degen should not be able to hang with him but without faster and more catch and release bad things can happen.

Update - a good closing 30 seconds

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT