ADVERTISEMENT

sPitt getting their it together....maybe not

In case Foley needs further intel as to why Jody isnt taking the sPitt job

Wow, that is just an incredibly amateurish move to call a meeting (drawing additional attention to a critical topic) with no real news of significance to announce??? That is just a complete fail there - ASWP is effectively a tanker in the middle of the ocean, dead in the water and taking on water at an increasing rate! They're going to lose their entire recruiting class and they've just written a blank check for any coach they have any interest in (if I'm Bono, I tell them that I'm not taking the job unless they hit my number - which just went way up - and meet all my demands in regards to critical program upgrades). This moron, empty-suit, new AD has just taken a highly manageable situation that could have ended up with a wonderful result and just butchered it.....created a dumpster fire and has now poured gasoline on it. What a freaking abortion.

If ISU is the bench mark, Hahn and Dake would be a huge splash. It would also quickly make the stain of this situation wash right away. Not to mention who the could fill in the other positions with.

but this stain could very easily become a tattoo at this rate

... is effectively a tanker in the middle of the ocean, dead in the water and taking on water ... written a blank check ... empty-suit, new AD ... and just butchered it ... created a dumpster fire and has now poured gasoline on it ... a freaking abortion.
That there is a lot of metaphors in one paragraph. Nice! If metaphors are shots, then you are Jason Nolf! :)

If I'm Pitt, they make UPJ their D1 program. Strittmatter is there. Pecora probably won't be coaching much longer.

I just don't think wrestling will work in Pittsburgh. Larger cities, larger distractions, and a sport with no real recognition there.

On T Row and Funky podcast this week Tommy Rowlands had some interesting things to say about Heather Lyke. She hired Tom Ryan at Ohio State, a job which Rowlands was up for at the time, along with Terry Brands and (I think) Jim Heffernan. Anyway, Rowlands mentioned that she really did her homework before hiring Ryan and he had a great deal of respect for her. Tough to gauge his take since Rowlands is biased but probably no more biased that the fourth-hand hearsay rumors oozing out of Twitter.

Reactions: jtothemfp
On T Row and Funky podcast this week Tommy Rowlands had some interesting things to say about Heather Lyke. She hired Tom Ryan at Ohio State, a job which Rowlands was up for at the time, along with Terry Brands and (I think) Jim Heffernan. Anyway, Rowlands mentioned that she really did her homework before hiring Ryan and he had a great deal of respect for her. Tough to gauge his take since Rowlands is biased but probably no more biased that the fourth-hand hearsay rumors oozing out of Twitter.
That may be, but guys dropping out of a job search isn't a good look for Pitt. Feels to me like Pitt isn't committing to what needs to be committed upon.

That may be, but guys dropping out of a job search isn't a good look for Pitt. Feels to me like Pitt isn't committing to what needs to be committed upon.
May not be a good look but the reporting on this has been based on leaks from one side to negotiations. Any negotiation, even if conducted in a glass bubble on live public TV, will result in dozens of competing interpretations of what transpired. I have far less trust in accounts of negotiations I'm not privy to. And if Pitt isn't willing to commit necessary resources that's not necessarily on Lyke, whose character was, uh, butchered--they're not her resources to commit.

Reactions: jtothemfp
...evidently an agreement was already in place and she backed away from it in favor of another candidate...
...and did not succeed with either...

Rowland claims he heard both Santoro and Flynn had terrible interviews with Lyke. Quite possibly sPitt spin to combat the rumors out there from the other side but still interesting info for consideration.

Rowland claims he heard both Santoro and Flynn had terrible interviews with Lyke. Quite possibly sPitt spin to combat the rumors out there from the other side but still interesting info for consideration.

Seriously, how bad of interview could both Flynn and Santoro really have? They are both successful D1 coaches in their own right.

Weren't they reported to be "cursory" (i.e., like only 10 minutes in the case of Santoro, when he'd been told through back-channels that an entire contract had already been worked up) more so than bad?

Seriously, how bad of interview could both Flynn and Santoro really have? They are both successful D1 coaches in their own right.

What I saw reported was that the interviews were more-or-less "blow-offs" by Lyke rather than bad. The Santoro situation is especially egregious imho in regards to Santoro as Santoro is arguablly the greatest wrestler in ASWP Wrestling history (4x AA and 2x Champion) - he deserved to be treated with more respect than that by the ASWP athletic administration.

Reactions: Grass

What I saw reported was that the interviews were more-or-less "blow-offs" by Lyke rather than bad. The Santoro situation is especially egregious imho in regards to Santoro as Santoro is arguablly the greatest wrestler in ASWP Wrestling history (4x AA and 2x Champion) - he deserved to be treated with more respect than that by the ASWP athletic administration.

IOW, you don't lead a Santoro (an accomplished coach and ASWP's most accomplished wrestler) down a "primrose path" only to diss him at the end - that's just complete bull$hit that other proven candidates are going to see and be completely turned-off by imho.

At this point, ASWP should probably just name Headlee the HC and be done with this ongoing embarrassment. Yes, he would be a "puppet HC" with no real power or control of his destiny (i.e., a puppet to the inept ASWP athletic administration), but at least this ongoing embarrassment would end and ASWP could just fade into irrelevance.

That was my thought exactly! Santoro just coached a champion and Flynn is doing more with less than almost every other D1 coach.

If both Santoro and Flynn had bad interviews, maybe just maybe it says more about the interviewer than it does the interviewee. Dont forget that Roselli turned her down too.

So either the pitch sucks or pitcher does...or can it be both?

If I'm Pitt, they make UPJ their D1 program. Strittmatter is there. Pecora probably won't be coaching much longer.

I just don't think wrestling will work in Pittsburgh. Larger cities, larger distractions, and a sport with no real recognition there.

This is a very good point. Outside the city, the sport is as strong as anywhere in the country. Inside the city is a whole different ball game. So many uphill battles and I'm not talking about Cardiac Hill.

If both Santoro and Flynn had bad interviews, maybe just maybe it says more about the interviewer than it does the interviewee. Dont forget that Roselli turned her down too.

So either the pitch sucks or pitcher does...or can it be both?
None of us really knows the story, but I have to believe that three really good D1 coaches walking away from Pitt and the hotbed recruiting area is because Pitt is not committing to the necessary funding required to be successful (top 10 school), and not because they aren't good interviews and good enough for Pitt.

Maybe they weren't good interviews because they made too many demands that couldn't be fulfilled.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
None of us really knows the story, but I have to believe that three really good D1 coaches walking away from Pitt and the hotbed recruiting area is because Pitt is not committing to the necessary funding required to be successful (top 10 school), and not because they aren't good interviews and good enough for Pitt.

Maybe they weren't good interviews because they made too many demands that couldn't be fulfilled.

If that's true, I would have loved to been a fly on the wall for Lyke's interviews..... Ms. Lyke, we would like to extend you an offer to preside over the transition of Pitt's Athletic Programs into obscurity - the ultimate goal is to transition to NAIA or maybe even not sponsor any sports whatsoever and just go with "Club Teams" across the board. Aren't you excited to get started???

Preposterous to claim that Lyke would have had no discussions regarding long-term commitment to the athletic program when she only took the job a couple weeks prior to the Santoro debacle.

Last edited:
This is a very good point. Outside the city, the sport is as strong as anywhere in the country. Inside the city is a whole different ball game. So many uphill battles and I'm not talking about Cardiac Hill.

So let me get this straight, ASWP is not successful because it is located inside the City Limits of Pittsburgh when some of the best wrestling in the nation surrounds it? Where have I heard this lame excuse before for bad teams and lack of support? There is nothing restrictive about ASWP being inside Pittsburgh - Santoro is arguably ASWP's greatest wrestler in program history (4x AA and 2x Champion) and he's from Bethlehem, PA for Pete's sake.

That might be Santoro's and Flynn's perspectives, not Lyke's.

A 10-min interview qualifies. If the Pitt reporter is right that Rosselli tipped off Santoro, and then (my theorizing) he asked her about it in person, that would explain both 10 min and terrible.

Flynn couldn't have been too bad to get an offer, though he might not have been impressed. (Again me theorizing) If she committed to the facilities upgrade in person and then weaseled out in the contract, if I were the coach that might sour me on the interview.

There were a couple of guys named Peery who may also have a claim to that title.

Be a little difficult to hire Ed or Hugh Peery as both are dead I believe. Santoro is not only one of ASWP's most accomplished wrestlers - he's a pretty accomplished coach while still being a fairly young guy as "head coaching" candidates go....

I took the "terrible interviews" as being from Santoro and Flynn's points of view. That the interviews were short and abbreviated and they didn't get the commitments they were looking for. Tommy goes on to say he was not sure how much interest Santoro or Flynn had following their interviews. Which both withdrew. I did not interpret it as Santoro and Flynn suck at interviews.

I took the "terrible interviews" as being from Santoro and Flynn's points of view. That the interviews were short and abbreviated and they didn't get the commitments they were looking for. Tommy goes on to say he was not sure how much interest Santoro or Flynn had following their interviews. Which both withdrew. I did not interpret it as Santoro and Flynn suck at interviews.

Yeah, listening to it again it was Askren said he heard they were "terrible interviews" and it was from Santoro and Flynn's perspective. Rowlands said his guess was that Lyke was so new that she couldn't commit to or answer a lot of the questions they had about where the program was heading, what commitments were being made to the program, her vision, etc. I would say in her defense that jumping into the middle of a process like that being brand new on the job has got to be difficult. Sounds like sPitt should have gotten their ducks in a row first and didn't.

Yeah, listening to it again it was Askren said he heard they were "terrible interviews" and it was from Santoro and Flynn's perspective. Rowlands said his guess was that Lyke was so new that she couldn't commit to or answer a lot of the questions they had about where the program was heading, what commitments were being made to the program, her vision, etc. I would say in her defense that jumping into the middle of a process like that being brand new on the job has got to be difficult. Sounds like sPitt should have gotten their ducks in a row first and didn't.
Here's a novel idea:

Instead of pleading with Rosselli to take the job, she should've asked him what he required to take the OU job. You know ... prepare.

Reactions: papa_ed

ASWP is down to this type of bull$hit and silly game-playing??? Pathetic. All the top Assistants from "power programs" (whatever the hell that means) are after the job and out awesome athletic department doesn't even feel the need to give them the time of day.....we must have already hired an incredible coach and are just delaying the announcement....LMFAO! ASWP just confirmed, they're dead in the water and sinking fast.

They're obviously no longer going to settle. The big money donors are opening their purses and targeting somebody big. You know, somebody that knows PA is a gold mine for a coach with true vision.

Well, that at least sounds good...

They're obviously no longer going to settle. The big money donors are opening their purses and targeting somebody big. You know, somebody that knows PA is a gold mine for a coach with true vision.

Well, that at least sounds good...
maybe not

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT