ADVERTISEMENT

The Iowa board is comical.....

+1

Your post is interesting though. There is so much talk about how we improve through a season and others don't. The formula is pretty simple. I watch coaches hammer kids for tactical mistakes all the time. Hammer them. Cael doesn't want strategic mistakes but encourages tactical ones. Try things in matches instead of just the practice room. If they don't work and you win. So what? If it doesn't work and you lose.....so what? It doesn't matter. What matters is letting it fly. Wrestler harder, faster, experiment and.....relax! It's all good.

Contrast with what you see from many coaches all the time. And you get close wrestling and tense brains. You can still win this way, but they break like Collica

Reminds me Joseph's amazing improvement since November.

And the expirmenting reminds me of Nolf's insane Keystone Tourney, where he was thrown himself, went lefty headlock throw, hit a Peterson, figured-four'd a kids chest for (missed) NF, and did the diving granby out of Bethea's blast double -- all in the same day.

Truth....Tom Brands makes the MAJORITY of wrestlers who go to Iowa end up hating the sport.....Of course he would never admit that but just ask guys who have wrestled for him...That is a fact. Thank God we have Cael Sanderson who is just an incredible human being on and off the mat !!!!
Nonsense.

Truth....Tom Brands makes the MAJORITY of wrestlers who go to Iowa end up hating the sport.....Of course he would never admit that but just ask guys who have wrestled for him...That is a fact. Thank God we have Cael Sanderson who is just an incredible human being on and off the mat !!!!
This is simply a ridiculous statement, like a damn broken record.

The biggest problems I had with the HR were the knee-jerk "troll" charge if an "outsider" brought up unpleasant facts; the immediate resort to name-calling; a general delusional general quality; a propensity to bring up Sandusky at the drop of a hat; and a disrespectful attitude towards any other college wrestling program (including "good guy" AZChief consistently calling VT "Vag Tech" and saying things like "nobody cares about Lehigh and Rutgers") even (especially?) teams that defeated or performed better than Iowa. Other than that, it was pretty reasonable.

Reminds me Joseph's amazing improvement since November.

And the expirmenting reminds me of Nolf's insane Keystone Tourney, where he was thrown himself, went lefty headlock throw, hit a Peterson, figured-four'd a kids chest for (missed) NF, and did the diving granby out of Bethea's blast double -- all in the same day.

Was thinking of how those are related while watching Cenzo's masterclass in takedown defense against Massa. Think he has the opportunity to work on that at all against Nolf in the room?

Nah, I'm just a guy that tries to pass on info when I get it. Sometimes it's right, sometimes it's wrong... I was fairly confident about Berge and very confident about Warner.

Should I be suprised I'm being attacked by this boards most miserable, self loathing posters??
you have to admit he is right more often than Spyker is....

Reactions: moug
I love me some TnT, but this fanbase is setting themselves up for an epic fail the remainder of this decade.

They are sinking everything they have into Spencer, GT, Warner, Murin, etc. I cant say I dont blame them, its all they got at the moment. Staring at 2 years in a row failing to not make the team podium and 7 years in a row without NC. KemDog has certainly given them hope, but so did the stache and their former #1 recruiting class. Recent history is that seniors in Iowa are not getting better. They are either hurt or show declining ability against the field.

Spencer has had/will have major knee and shoulder surgery the last 18 months. To think he wont have more injuries is wishful thinking (I feel like LP saying this) over the next 5 years.

Spencer and GT are just two weights, but what about the other 8? not exactly high propensity for Iowa to put these other weights into the finals outside of 125/133.

While these latest recruits are no doubt studs, our incoming recruits, tO$U, Ok state, etc are getting studs too. Its not like TnT are doing something so much better than the field to close the gap.

Last year in the finals Iowa scored 0 takedowns. This year in the semis, they score 2, both by Clark on counters to the other guys shots.

TnT will be fine, but the sanity of their fan base not so much.

This is a very solid post.

HR is pinning ALL their hopes on two seasons from now, where S. Lee is RsFR and Teasdale is TrFR. Kemerer will be upperclassman.
And they'll sprinkle in Murin, Bull, Warner and whatever other pieces I can't remember.

They'll obviously have an excellent lineup.

But it's not like PSU's lineup and in-coming recruits are going to suddenly vanish.

Neither is Ohio St.

It's an Arms Race in the Big Ten. Iowa was caught flat-footed while both PSU & tOSU have been moving full speed ahead.

I understand they're upset but some of the comments are so ridiculous.

Nickal didn't have Brooks pinned, Sorensen wasn't pinned, Zain gets away with a potentially dangerous illegal hold, Suriano wouldn't score 20 points even though he beat both kids in finals, Hall and Joseph took no shots, Cruz stalled his way to win over Gilman

What a bunch of crybabies. Lol. Damn I'd hate to be a fan of that team.

So proud to be a Penn State fan and watch quality wrestling year after year

Just happy I get to sit and celebrate a great night!
My favorite is "everything would have been different if we had Stoll". Apparently he was automatically a finalist. Nevermind he was ranked 7th when he got hurt.

Honestly, I think you guys should avoid this stuff. This board would be a mess if PSU had gone 0-5 in the semis. They are fans that have high expectations, and suffered some tough losses today.

This site (not this board) can be an absolute mess on game days when PSU football loses.

Iowa is a tough competitor, and will continue to be so. Their fans have reason to hope/expect for good performances from their team.
With all the good that has happened this weekend why shouldn't this board stay classy.

The same Mike Evans that left a coaching job in California to come back and train at the HWC, whose sister is engaged to Thomas Gilman, and who's family absolutely bleeds black and gold? Or is there a Mike "Evens" I've never heard of??

It's no wonder why everyone at home and away thinks you're a know nothing joke.

Hats off to PSU... What Cael is doing is beyond a trend. He's cornered the market on making his guys feel no pressure and wrestle with no fear. He obviously is a phenomenal coach... Mentally and technically. Your team/teams are the gold standard right now.. Everyone else is chasing you so good on Cael & Co. for forcing everyone else to step up thier game. That said you guys are having your cake and eating it too... Why spend a single moment worry about what a handful of opposing, uninformed jackasses think?? You're way on top of the pile... Enjoy it and soak it in, it won't last forever.
Nice post.

Stay classy San Diego!

You need to add a meme to a quote like that:
605cacde1e6f4bbc3d53f69529c43189ea20aabf37e7afa0ffe958c233506f95.jpg

Reactions: dropster45
Honestly, I think you guys should avoid this stuff. This board would be a mess if PSU had gone 0-5 in the semis. They are fans that have high expectations, and suffered some tough losses today.

This site (not this board) can be an absolute mess on game days when PSU football loses.

Iowa is a tough competitor, and will continue to be so. Their fans have reason to hope/expect for good performances from their team.
This board was DEFCON 1 two weeks ago.

This is a very solid post.

HR is pinning ALL their hopes on two seasons from now, where S. Lee is RsFR and Teasdale is TrFR. Kemerer will be upperclassman.
And they'll sprinkle in Murin, Bull, Warner and whatever other pieces I can't remember.

They'll obviously have an excellent lineup.

But it's not like PSU's lineup and in-coming recruits are going to suddenly vanish.

Neither is Ohio St.

It's an Arms Race in the Big Ten. Iowa was caught flat-footed while both PSU & tOSU have been moving full speed ahead.

You're right but for Iowa to at least become competitive again they needed to land guys like Lee, Teasdale, Kem, Marinelli, Warner, etc. Of course I think Penn State will continue their run of titles but with the recruits Iowa is getting in, maybe Penn State has to clinch on Saturday night instead of Saturday morning.

Reactions: diggerpup
It's not a reach to say the Nittany Lions might be slight to strong favorites in all 10 weight classes when the Hawkeyes visit Happy Valley next winter.

Who do you expect, or hope to see starting at 133 and 141 next season for PSU?

Considering he spent this weekend with Lee, Warner, Metcalf, McDonough, and Zadick, sat in the Iowa section with Wilckes family, and has been at every post session H.A.W.K. Club social, and comes in on his own dime to visit and work out regularly I'd be flat out shocked.
Hey Gobblin, any chance I could get you to pull some strings over on HR and get my ban lifted for a few days? I'd really like to pull up some old threads over there where I made predictions only to have most of you call me stupid and a Troll.

Actually, now that I think about it I'd kinda like to go line by line so a few days probably Isnt enough. A week should give me plenty of time to show who the dumb one is. Hint....it wasn't me...

Last edited:
Comedy gold on the Finals thread. Had to ironically "like" a bunch of the dumber posts (and there are a lot of them). My favorite was Penn State guys always backing up in close matches.

Our buckeye visitor NYWrestler94 liked a post calling Cael a scumbag. That's classy of him.

Comedy gold on the Finals thread. Had to ironically "like" a bunch of the dumber posts (and there are a lot of them). My favorite was Penn State guys always backing up in close matches.

Our buckeye visitor NYWrestler94 liked a post calling Cael a scumbag. That's classy of him.
Yeah...if people pay attention to what some of our visitors do on other forums as compared to here they might be a bit surprised. I'm not mentioning any names but I know who they are and they aren't fooling me...

The morons come out like cockroaches on nights like this (for the big events). And good Lord, there are some first rate morons in the Session VI thread on HR. :eek:

Last edited:
Can't sleep. For a team that shoots like half a dozen times per the whole lineup starts calling PSU for stalling is comical. There idea of offense is trying to push a guy around and rarely takes a chance at a big move.

The biggest problems I had with the HR were the knee-jerk "troll" charge if an "outsider" brought up unpleasant facts; the immediate resort to name-calling; a general delusional general quality; a propensity to bring up Sandusky at the drop of a hat; and a disrespectful attitude towards any other college wrestling program (including "good guy" AZChief consistently calling VT "Vag Tech" and saying things like "nobody cares about Lehigh and Rutgers") even (especially?) teams that defeated or performed better than Iowa. Other than that, it was pretty reasonable.
HR is not for someone in search of reasonability, but you know that. I just thought I would point out the obvious.

HR is simply for entertaining the mind with the silly.

Reactions: diggerpup
Topic on HR right now trending is the PSU wrestlers pushing opponents out of bounds from the top position from restarts, and how that should be called stalling.

Hey Gobblin, any chance I could get you to pull some strings over on HR and get my ban lifted for a few days? I'd really like to pull up some old threads over there where I made predictions only to have most of you call me stupid and a Troll.

Actually, now that I think about it I'd kinda like to go line by line so a few days probably Isnt enough. A week should give me plenty of time to show who the dumb one is. Hint....it wasn't me...

I'll see what i can do... ; ). Whom is it that you speak of?? I could pass along an eloquent message.

Last edited:

PSU had 5 different weight-class Champion Celebrations that you could have chosen from to post to this board, but instead.....you chose to post the one you posted to a PSU Board the morning after PSU just won its 6th of the last 7 National Championships and tied the all-time mark for Individual Champions in the process? Interesting, very interesting.....

PSU had 5 different weight-class Champion Celebrations that you could have chosen from to post to this board, but instead.....you chose to post the one you posted to a PSU Board the morning after PSU just won its 6th of the last 7 National Championships and tied the all-time mark for Individual Champions in the process? Interesting, very interesting.....

When you are still without a national finalist, you take what you can get. Nothing to get excited about. Personally, as someone who followed A. Ashnault's career here in NJ, I had hoped he would have gone to Penn State rather than Rutgers. I feel there is an excellent chance he would be a national champ at least once by now if he had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT