ADVERTISEMENT

The Ohio State All Star team

Actually they did play in the NC game in 2020. Got beat pretty badly by what arguably was Sabin’s best team ever.
They also came within a missed FG and a terrible reversal of a targeting call that knocked MHJ out of the game from playing in and almost certainly winning the NC game in 2022
You're right; thanks for the correction. That was such a mess of a season that I guess I put it out of mind. That was the season in which OSU didn't even play Michigan, allegedly because of a Covid outbreak among Michigan players.

Doesn't O$U always have an all star team? They will still be lacking at QB compared to Fields, Barrett, Stroud, Jones, etc...
They're always one of the top 3 or 4 teams - talent-wise - every year. Going into 2023, Alabama, Georgia, and OSU separated themselves from everyone else and this year, with Alabama's roster being raided, it will be Georgia and OSU at the top in 2024.

This is why you have to tip your cap to Harbaugh and Michigan. It kills me to say that - he's a weirdo and not my favorite - but the guy is the best coach in the B1G and top 2 or 3 in the country

They're always one of the top 3 or 4 teams - talent-wise - every year. Going into 2023, Alabama, Georgia, and OSU separated themselves from everyone else and this year, with Alabama's roster being raided, it will be Georgia and OSU at the top in 2024.

This is why you have to tip your cap to Harbaugh and Michigan. It kills me to say that - he's a weirdo and not my favorite - but the guy is the best coach in the B1G and top 2 or 3 in the country

Of course blatantly cheating and having the new NCAA president effectively endorse it by saying how “Fair and Square “ they won the NC doesn’t hurt either.

Doesn't O$U always have an all star team? They will still be lacking at QB compared to Fields, Barrett, Stroud, Jones, etc...
Ohio State always has great talent.
When PSU beat them 63-7 they had Rickey Dudley, Joey Galloway, Chris Sanders, Buster Tillman, Terry Glenn, Eddie George, Korey Stringer and Orlando Pace on the roster, to name a few.

Of course blatantly cheating and having the new NCAA president effectively endorse it by saying how “Fair and Square “ they won the NC doesn’t hurt either.
College football is broken at the very top. In this era NCAA leadership will avoid holding anyone completely accountable so as to not damage tv revenue. The playoffs may have been fair but the entire foundation UM built to get there was built upon lies and cheating.

Lot’s of whining and complaining about college football in this thread.

It’s essentially coming from some fans jealous perspectives.

For coaches these are the best of times. Think about it. Universities can no longer easily fire big-time underperforming coaches without paying absurd sums associated with their buy-out contract. Jimbo Fisher is laughing all the way to the bank. Also, coaches can leave their teams high and dry the moment they get a better offer. That is the ultimate flexibility for coaches.

For players these are the best of times. Some are finally getting compensated for their services and the enormous revenues they help generate for their universities. Plus, players can transfer if their coach leaves for a better offer. This is the ultimate flexibility for players.

So, coaches are getting filthy rich and players finally have some decent money to help enjoy their college experience. In addition, college football has incorporated a playoff system instead of relying on arcane voting systems.

College Football has never been better. Sit back and enjoy it.

First, they must be shelling a ton of money to get these top transfer portal guys. The most in the country?

Second, there has to be at least one and maybe two defections from the Qb room. Too much talent in one room

Third, it will be interesting to see how the young QBs develop if they start - that’s not always a given as PSU saw this year. And if one of them doesn’t start, they may be gone

Fourth, it will be interesting to see if Day can gel all of this into a championship team - not always easy as history has proven

Guess I’d be excited if I was an osu fan but a lot of questions. On the other hand I like what Franklin did in the portal and most importantly recruiting wise. Still may need a big time receiver but generally happy with what we have. That’s admittedly a ‘glass half full’ perspective …

Let’s be honest here. Which personnel situation would you rather have, Ohio State’s or Penn State’s?

Hint: It’s not even close.

Your bias aside, Ohio State is loaded and continues to seek the best available talent. That is not a crime.

Reactions: NOVABuck45
Let’s be honest here. Which personnel situation would you rather have, Ohio State’s or Penn State’s?

Hint: It’s not even close.

Your bias aside, Ohio State is loaded and continues to seek the best available talent. That is not a crime.
Seriously, what do people want Ohio State to do, bring in portal players who can never crack their 3 deep? Of course they are going to bring in great talent, they already have great talent. It wouldn't make sense to target or expend resources for anything less.
They all but sent their 5 star QB, who's stat line was 3,000+ 24TD/6INT with a starting record of 11-1 packing because they didn't like him......enough.
Imagine that.

Every year it seems a school or two shells out more than anyone else during portal season - A&M, Miami, Michigan State, USC, etc. Not only portal acquisitions but coaching additions as well.

Has it worked out for any of those schools? I don't think it's a tried and true method, and a lot of these schools then have major fall-out afterwards because checks don't cash, culture issues, poor coaching.

As individually talented and experienced as OSU seems to be, they still haven't fixed their most glaring weaknesses from last season - mediocre to poor OL line play, mediocre QB, and Ryan Day teams are traditionally soft. We give Franklin hell, but what's Ryan Day's record vs top ten teams? Can he finally win the big one this year?

Not saying this isn't the most talented/favorite to win the BIG next season, but I don't think any differently of them than I did after the conclusion of this past season.

There's no doubt that the OL and the QB are question marks. I feel reasonably confident that both of those question marks will be answered quite favorably, but I can understand the skepticism. The OL actually made slow-but-steady progress throughout last season (until the Mizzou game where the line was shuffled and clearly didn't gel) and we return the entire line. But it's my biggest question mark going into the season.

But a lot happened between "conclusion of this past season" and now. Ignoring Will Howard and even Judkins for a moment, adding Caleb Downs is a monumental addition for a defense driven by the safety position. That dude will be on everybody's preseason 1st team All America list.

To answer your question......Ryan Day's record against top-10 teams is 9-7. Franklin's is 3-17. Jim Harbaugh is 9-13. 6 of those 7 losses were to eventual national champions or playoff teams.

Last edited:
They all but sent their 5 star QB, who's stat line was 3,000+ 24TD/6INT with a starting record of 11-1 packing because they didn't like him......enough.
Imagine that.
Nobody likes to talk about the school side dirty underbelly of the portal. Ohio State couldn't wait for their starting QB to go into portal, I'm sure their were subtle nudges to get him to that point. Everyone wants to point at the players for trying to find their best opportunities when the ferries, ice cream and puppy dogs of recruiting never manifest, then blame it on the player for wanting to go somewhere where they can spread their wings and fly.
Ronnie from Selinsgrove wants that kid to rot on a bench for better of the program.

Since this is mostly about the OSU all-star - NIL money funding their Portal acquisitions, I just read on their O-Zone forum site that CJ Stroud and many other ex-OSU players have contributed HUGE money to OSU which could be part why there is so much OSU NIL funding out there. It also said that OSU is 2nd in the number of NFL players behind Alabama

As individually talented and experienced as OSU seems to be, they still haven't fixed their most glaring weaknesses from last season - mediocre to poor OL line play, mediocre QB, and Ryan Day teams are traditionally soft. We give Franklin hell, but what's Ryan Day's record vs top ten teams? Can he finally win the big one this year?

Not saying this isn't the most talented/favorite to win the BIG next season, but I don't think any differently of them than I did after the conclusion of this past season.

I like your optimism, but I have no idea what postseason you've been watching. they just returned everybody not named Marvin Harrison, added the top RB in the portal, the top defensive player in the portal, and a clear upgrade at QB in the portal, and they have a top 5 recruiting class with the top recruit in the nation stepping in for Harrison at WR.

I don't know what to make of Day yet. But he's been like 11-1 pretty much every year which is something we haven't done in ages.

I know you're not saying this, but the whining about NIL is getting really old. It's time for us to adapt. It's not illegal to fund NIL groups as long as compliance checks out. It's not unethical. Bitching about the good old days and complaining that the NIL players are ruining football is a loser's mentality, and there's absolutely no reason why we can't be more competitive in this space. If we don't, we're going to fall further behind -- that's a certainty.

It will be interesting to see if they can bond in such a short time together. They have so much talent stacked up, that making the playoff seems certain. How well they mesh might be the difference between 0/1 playoff win and a potential NC.

Yes but even in major pro cities (Cincy & Cleveland) 2 hours away, OSU gets full coverage from the media outlets in those cities. That is not remotely the case in Pittsburgh.
Giant Eagle would rather give a 3rd line Penguin an endorsement deal than Micah Parsons in full star mode at Penn State.
I'm pretty sure Marvin Harrison Jr. would be a bigger draw in Cleveland than the 12th man on the Cavaliers.
OSU gets very extensive coverage in Cleveland but not in Cincinnati. There are a lot of Ohio State fans in Cincinnati but the media is jealous and also wants to protect the University of Cincinnati. , The Cleveland plain dealer has an extensive section on Ohio State and I am not aware of any publication in Cincinnati that gives broad coverage to Ohio State.

OSU gets very extensive coverage in Cleveland but not in Cincinnati. There are a lot of Ohio State fans in Cincinnati but the media is jealous and also wants to protect the University of Cincinnati. , The Cleveland plain dealer has an extensive section on Ohio State and I am not aware of any publication in Cincinnati that gives broad coverage to Ohio State.
That sounds a lot like Pittsburgh. I've always felt the local media minimized coverage of Penn State to somewhat protect the Panthers.
Even though probably more folks drive from Pittsburgh to Beaver Stadium on any given Saturday afternoon that Pitt puts in their entire stadium.
I think the point here is that it really doesn't matter to the media, their advertising base doesn't care if they cover Pitt or Penn State or both. They care that they are associated with news relating the Steelers, Penguins and Pirates.

That sounds a lot like Pittsburgh. I've always felt the local media minimized coverage of Penn State to somewhat protect the Panthers.
Even though probably more folks drive from Pittsburgh to Beaver Stadium on any given Saturday afternoon that Pitt puts in their entire stadium.
I think the point here is that it really doesn't matter to the media, their advertising base doesn't care if they cover Pitt or Penn State or both. They care that they are associated with news relating the Steelers, Penguins and Pirates.

I visit the Pitt football forum board on a frequent basis. Their perception is that the local Pittsburgh media covers Penn State more extensively than Pitt, and the coverage is more positive about Penn State.

Not saying I agree, but it is a widely held perception by some Pitt fans on their football forum.

Reactions: dailybuck777
One of the big problems with Nil is not knowing what the schools are "paying" their players. OSU has to giving the Ole miss running back over 500k, because that's what he wanted to not transfer. That's one kid who may or may not even be a starter. How are some colleges going to compete with the over-the-top boosters of certain programs?

I visit the Pitt football forum board on a frequent basis. Their perception is that the local Pittsburgh media covers Penn State more extensively than Pitt, and the coverage is more positive about Penn State.

Not saying I agree, but it is a widely held perception by some Pitt fans on their football forum.
I think the coverage is, at worst, even. People claim it's heavy toward Pitt because of The Fan and Madden.

Yeah, I was thinking the same with OSU and Cincinnati - PSU and Pittsburgh. Both schools have following in those cities but nowhere near as strong as in the rest of the state.

One of the big problems with Nil is not knowing what the schools are "paying" their players. OSU has to giving the Ole miss running back over 500k, because that's what he wanted to not transfer. That's one kid who may or may not even be a starter. How are some colleges going to compete with the over-the-top boosters of certain programs?

TCU and Washington have relatively small NIL funds. Yet, both schools made the CFP.

NIL is not a legitimate excuse for the ineptitude of coaches or a team’s failure to make the CFP.

Ohio State always has great talent.
When PSU beat them 63-7 they had Rickey Dudley, Joey Galloway, Chris Sanders, Buster Tillman, Terry Glenn, Eddie George, Korey Stringer and Orlando Pace on the roster, to name a few.

The final score was 63-14 in a lopsided Penn State victory. I remember that game like it was yesterday. A great day for the Nittany Lions and Joe Paterno.

TCU and Washington have relatively small NIL funds. Yet, both schools made the CFP.

NIL is not a legitimate excuse for the ineptitude of coaches or a team’s failure to make the CFP.
Is there a site that shows these numbers?

The final score was 63-14 in a lopsided Penn State victory. I remember that game like it was yesterday. A great day for the Nittany Lions and Joe Paterno.
They must have been very young players. I remember a very good PSU player stating something like he was used to seeing a lot of All Americans at OSU but didn't see them in that game.

You were right. They had a lot of talent on that team (3 first round draft picks) as well as Shawn Springs. What a horrible coaching job by Cooper. Lost 4 games.

Google Top 20 most ambitious NIL collectives.

You won’t find TCU or Washington on the list.

You will see schools like Texas A&M and Indiana.
TCU by its record belonged in the playoff, but by its personnel didn't. One of the more well known college football commentators stated that when you looked at TCU and compared it to Georgia, they didn't belong on the same field. (unfortunately, I can't remember his name now) TCU beat Michigan because of multiple pick sixes probably caused by lack of cheating with respect to stealing TCU signs.

Last edited:
TCU by its record belonged in the playoff, but by its personnel didn't. One of the more well known college football commentators stated that when you looked at TCU and compared it to Georgia, they didn't belong on the same field. (unfortunately, I can't remember his name now) TCU beat Michigan because of multiple pick sixes probably caused by lack of cheating with respect to stealing TCU signs.

In 2022, tiny TCU defeated the following ranked teams:

- Texas
- Oklahoma
- Michigan
- Kansas

Again, NIL is a convenient excuse for mediocre coaches to use for not meeting the expectations of their respective fan bases.

TCU is rarely if ever in a top 10 recruiting list. Yet, they found a way to beat the big boy programs in 2022.

- Texas
- Oklahoma
- Michigan
- Kansas

Again, NIL is a convenient excuse for mediocre coaches to use for not meeting the expectations of their respective fan bases.

TCU is rarely if ever in a top 10 recruiting list. Yet, they found a way to beat the big boy programs in 2022.
And the next year they fell off of a cliff, losing even to Colorado.

The Pittsburgh media definitely covers Pitt sports more extensively than PSU. the problem that Pitt fans have is that the coverage that they receive is not all positive.

Think Geiger and Jones types.

The coverage that PSU does receives is sporadic but generally positive in nature.

Reactions: blair10
And the next year they fell off of a cliff, losing even to Colorado.

Not sure what your point is. It does not erase the fact that a very small school was able to defeat 4 ranked teams and made the CFP, and they managed to beat Harbaugh and his Michigan Wolverines.

Cooper was a good recruiter, but a terrible game coach.
Worse than that -- just a bad coach. His teams got weaker at the end of the year. The one year they went to the Rose Bowl, they almost lost to a not very good Indiana team in the second to the last game of the year.

Harbaugh going to the NFL is a key domino that O$U needs to have fall. If it does not happen then you will hear a collective "Ruh Rho" coming from Columbus. And guess what? They can't buy their way to making this one happen either.

- Texas
- Oklahoma
- Michigan
- Kansas

I agree that a coach still needs to get results and it is not impossible to win.
However this is getting to a point where you have such a clear talent advantage no coaching can consistently overcome it. I mean if a team has half of their starters as first round picks and another 40% getting drafted then that is an NFL team playing a college team. The '22 TCU team did not face a team as stacked as what OSU is compiling in '24.

Lot’s of whining and complaining about college football in this thread.

It’s essentially coming from some fans jealous perspectives.

For coaches these are the best of times. Think about it. Universities can no longer easily fire big-time underperforming coaches without paying absurd sums associated with their buy-out contract. Jimbo Fisher is laughing all the way to the bank. Also, coaches can leave their teams high and dry the moment they get a better offer. That is the ultimate flexibility for coaches.

For players these are the best of times. Some are finally getting compensated for their services and the enormous revenues they help generate for their universities. Plus, players can transfer if their coach leaves for a better offer. This is the ultimate flexibility for players.

So, coaches are getting filthy rich and players finally have some decent money to help enjoy their college experience. In addition, college football has incorporated a playoff system instead of relying on arcane voting systems.

College Football has never been better. Sit back and enjoy it.
If it gets to the point where there is not one player on Penn State that would make the two deep on OSU and OSU now routinely beats us by 30 ... your're happy? Don't give me this well we need to adapt and do what they are doing. That is not the question. Will you be happy getting drubbed by Ohio State every year because they spend the most to get all the top players? I already know Penn State doesn't want to play that game and probably can't to the degree OSU is.

Franklin needs to do a better job winning big games but c'mon if it gets to a point where he has the jv team or maybe it is the middle school team playing the state champs then forget about coaching it is just about the Jimmy and Joes.

I assume you are a PSU fan but I guess you would love a college football world where PSU has no shot, nada. We are not there now and we are competitive although not beating OSU which is annoying and a Franklin issue. But just look where the hockey puck is going and PSU will probably fall behind in this arms race which has no rules. And again we will hit a point where it doesn't matter if it is Franklin or the second coming of Saban as our coach it will simply be we are hopelessly behind with the Jimmy and Joes.

And you are excited about that because coaches get paid a lot and now these pampered players get paid way too much and the kicker...you're favorite team becomes irrelevant. Nice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT