ADVERTISEMENT

The Ohio State All Star team

I'm not saying he should be nor that I think he would, but if yall don't win the title with this team then I'm not sure Day is going to ever lead ya to one.
OSU better - at the very least - beat Michigan (which they should in Columbus) and win the B1G. Maybe not required to win it all but has to have a really good showing in the Playoffs. Agree with you, the 2024 OSU team is LOADED

If you had told me that OSU would improve after losing the best WR in college football I'd have said you're crazy, but here we are.

Reactions: dailybuck777
If you had told me that OSU would improve after losing the best WR in college football I'd have said you're crazy, but here we are.

The interesting thing is that even with the acquisitions, only the defense is assured of improvement. Returning 9 of 11 plus adding Downs, it seems likely that this group should be dominant again.

Offensively, I'm not positive just yet. Adding Judkins seems to infer that they plan to run the ball more. I didn't see anything from the young WRs that said the next 1st round pick was on the roster, but that could be on McCord (at least, that is the bet Day has hinged his cart to).

They haven't improved the OL (yet), but there is time.

It allows schools to have donors put money towards NIL as opposed to other things though
Sure, they can ask donors to contribute to NIL funds, but it is still donors contributing to a fund that is not under University control. A school may advocate for donations to a collective, but they can't redirect University funds to one, or control how the collective uses those donations that they receive.

Offensively, I'm not positive just yet. Adding Judkins seems to infer that they plan to run the ball more. I didn't see anything from the young WRs that said the next 1st round pick was on the roster, but that could be on McCord (at least, that is the bet Day has hinged his cart to).

I suspect we'll run the ball more. The 2019 team was Ryan Day's ideal team -- great run/pass balance with a QB that can stretch the field. OL development will be key.

As for WRs......a healthy Egbuka is big time, Carnell Tate could be a future 1st rounder, and Jeremiah Smith is the most hyped WR we've ever brought into this program. No guarantee he lives up to the hype, but he's the top WR prospect of the modern recruiting era for a reason. No single WR will be as good as Harrison next year, but I'd bet the WR room as a whole is more productive.

McCord consistently struggled to go through his progressions and relied too heavily on Harrison. Can't always see it on TV, but we very often had Fleming or others wide open downfield and McCord consistently missed them.

Reactions: lazydave841
The interesting thing is that even with the acquisitions, only the defense is assured of improvement. Returning 9 of 11 plus adding Downs, it seems likely that this group should be dominant again.

I think their WRs are really good with Egbuka and Tate returning and some great other young WRs. Their defense is really, really good - it was last year

You hit it, though, and I think any honest OSU fan will agree with you. Their whole season will ride on their OL and if they can improve over that POS OL from last year. I'm not sure, but I think they brought in an OL - or two - from the Portal but will probably need more OL

I think their WRs are really good with Egbuka and Tate returning and some great other young WRs. Their defense is really, really good - it was last year

You hit it, though, and I think any honest OSU fan will agree with you. Their whole season will ride on their OL and if they can improve over that POS OL from last year. I'm not sure, but I think they brought in an OL - or two - from the Portal but will probably need more OL

Humor me for a moment.......you wouldn't happen to be Wolve1972, would you? :)

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
Sure, they can ask donors to contribute to NIL funds, but it is still donors contributing to a fund that is not under University control. A school may advocate for donations to a collective, but they can't redirect University funds to one, or control how the collective uses those donations that they receive.
And it's the school's job to convince donors to be okay with that. It's 100% in their control. They need to step up

Who's Wolve1972? Seriously.

A closet Buckeye who frequently referenced Eleven Warriors and knew way more about OSU than a non-OSU fan should.

I enjoyed Wolve.......had good things to say about PSU and OSU, and did his best to make Michigan fans look like absolute idiots.

From your posts, you seem to have the same read on OSU stuff that he had.......with similar posting styles. If that's not you, I don't mean any offense by it. I mean it as a compliment :)

A closet Buckeye who frequently referenced Eleven Warriors and knew way more about OSU than a non-OSU fan should.

From your posts, you seem to have the same read on OSU stuff that he had.......with similar posting styles. It's all good though.
Actually, I'm on all of the B1G sites - mostly this one, Eleven Warriors and the MGoBoard forums. I've been accused of being an Iowa fan by the Nebraska Rivals posters several times. Just spend a ton of time on the B1G boards - mostly the Rivals boards.

To add, my son is an OSU graduate and he fills me in on OSU. He actually knows a couple of the football coaches. I'm Northwestern. But believe me i don't lose any sleep when OSU loses but I don't tell him that

Last edited:
Reactions: NOVABuck45
Actually, I'm on all of the B1G sites - mostly this one, Eleven Warriors and the MGoBoard forums. I've been accused of being an Iowa fan by the Nebraska Rivals posters several times. Just spend a ton of time on the B1G boards - mostly the Rivals boards.

To add, my son is an OSU graduate and he fills me in on OSU. He actually knows a couple of the football coaches. I'm Northwestern. But believe me i don't lose any sleep when OSU loses but I don't tell him that

It's all good. And it sounds like you have a very smart and talented son with great taste in intercollegiate athletics :)

I know NW very well......really impressed with Braun and hope he keeps building something solid up there. I'll never forget the 1995 season and the magical run they had. A shame that NW and my Bucks didn't square off that year (or in '96). Would love to have seen Eddie George vs. Darnell Autry.

It's all good. And it sounds like you have a very smart and talented son with great taste in intercollegiate athletics :)

I know NW very well......really impressed with Braun and hope he keeps building something solid up there. I'll never forget the 1995 season and the magical run they had. A shame that NW and my Bucks didn't square off that year (or in '96). Would love to have seen Eddie George vs. Darnell Autry.
We really kicked OSU's butt last night in BB so I'll have that for awhile😀. It's few and far between though

They added an offensive lineman from Alabama and I am sure they are feverishly working to get another one.

if yall don't win the title with this team then I'm not sure Day is going to ever lead ya to one.
I am 100% behind Day. In the last 2 years, he has had arguably the 2 best team in the country and the third best. Barely lost to Georgia last year while Michigan lost to a weak TCU team, which was destroyed by Georgia in a quarter and one-half. At the end of the year OSU was a better team than Michigan. Played Michigan almost as well as Alabama and better than Washington this year. Check out Harbaugh's first five years at Michigan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Harbaugh Lost 12 games. Never beat OSU. No big ten Championships. Bad loss or losses to Michigan State. Day is way better than Harbaugh was in first 5 years and his huge mistake in hiring Kerry Combs (completely incompetent though OSU db back legend) has been strongly rectified.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
Harbaugh was able to employ his power football, win on both sides of the LoS philosophy and that is how he got the upper hand vs OSU. OSU is lucky he is gone.

I think OSU has an excellent shot to win it all next season. They could lose at Oregon as Oregon picked up Dillon Gabriel and the safety Kobe Savage from KSU. Unfortunately I see them beating PSU yet again and getting the monkey off their back vs Michigan. They probably win the B10 and get a top 4 seed or if they lose to Oregon still a 5 or 6 seed. Day just needs to win the first playoff game which will be a home game if not a top 4 seed and his job is probably safe (assumes he has beaten Michigan). Make it to the semis to be sure he is safe. But they could go all the way. Bama is Sabanless with a lot of talent who exited. I'm thinking it's them and Georgia with Texas and Oregon in the mix.

Harbaugh was able to employ his power football, win on both sides of the LoS philosophy and that is how he got the upper hand vs OSU. OSU is lucky he is gone.
I actually think one of the issues that Harbaugh considered when jumping to the NFL was the huge amount of talent that was leaving Michigan after this last year, That McCarthy, Corum, and Roman Wilson group was an all-timer plus I read that their losing their top 6 OL. They're just not going to replace those guys. Their defense should be good again though

If you look at the 2024 "too early" B1G forecasts, it should be a 3-team race with OSU and Oregon the frontrunners and PSU right on their heels. Michigan is locked into many top 10s but there is a huge question mark next to them and their high ratings. They get the benefit of the doubt because they're the defending NC.

Harbaugh is also taking a few of his assistants with him. Sherrone Moore will realize it's not easy jumping from an assistant straight to HC-CEO. Kirby Smart and maybe Ryan Day are exceptions but they both have huge recruiting machines and talent behind them - especially Kirby who could field a NC team just with the unreal HS talent in Georgia. Michigan doesn't have that built in advantage which is why you have to give Harbaugh credit (ugh) for the way he developed his players

Michigan doesn't have that built in advantage which is why you have to give Harbaugh credit (ugh) for the way he developed his players
If what I saw up thread is correct, that he had 44, 22 and 23 yr olds, I would say more assembling a team of older players although he does get some credit for player development.

I actually think one of the issues that Harbaugh considered when jumping to the NFL was the huge amount of talent that was leaving Michigan after this last year, That McCarthy, Corum, and Roman Wilson group was an all-timer plus I read that their losing their top 6 OL. They're just not going to replace those guys. Their defense should be good again though

If you look at the 2024 "too early" B1G forecasts, it should be a 3-team race with OSU and Oregon the frontrunners and PSU right on their heels. Michigan is locked into many top 10s but there is a huge question mark next to them and their high ratings. They get the benefit of the doubt because they're the defending NC.

Harbaugh is also taking a few of his assistants with him. Sherrone Moore will realize it's not easy jumping from an assistant straight to HC-CEO. Kirby Smart and maybe Ryan Day are exceptions but they both have huge recruiting machines and talent behind them - especially Kirby who could field a NC team just with the unreal HS talent in Georgia. Michigan doesn't have that built in advantage which is why you have to give Harbaugh credit (ugh) for the way he developed his players
Michigan will slip this year. I think they lose to Oregon at home and Washington and Ohio State on the road. Three losses knocks them out of the playoff.

I hope you are right and we are in the mix for the B10. For us, beating U$C in the Coliseum and Washington in Happy Valley would be huge. Of course, knocking off a potential #1 OSU in Happy Valley would be one for the ages.

Michigan will slip this year. I think they lose to Oregon at home and Washington and Ohio State on the road. Three losses knocks them out of the playoff.

I hope you are right and we are in the mix for the B10. For us, beating U$C in the Coliseum and Washington in Happy Valley would be huge. Of course, knocking off a potential #1 OSU in Happy Valley would be one for the ages.
I don't think this is a big news flash but a lot of PSU's season success depends on your QB situation and a few of the early 2024 predictions have already pointed this out. Allar looked shaky at times but a year's experience behind him should really be a huge benefit. The kid has the physical QB tools ..... it's just a matter of him maturing upstairs and I personally think he'll be a force this year

I don't think this is a big news flash but a lot of PSU's season success depends on your QB situation and a few of the early 2024 predictions have already pointed this out. Allar looked shaky at times but a year's experience behind him should really be a huge benefit. The kid has the physical QB tools ..... it's just a matter of him maturing upstairs and I personally think he'll be a force this year
Receivers need to emerge and Fleming needs to be really productive for us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT