ADVERTISEMENT

The Ohio State All Star team

Screw OSU and their hired gun all star team. I want PSU to win, but moreso I want them to recruit and retain high character kids that go to class and get degrees. Success with honor.

We have 6 transfers coming in next year. The same amount as Penn State. Both of our programs seem to use the portal similarly -- plugging key gaps rather than overhauling the roster.

If our guys are "hired guns", would that make AJ Harris and Nolan Rucci and others "hired guns"?

Which of our kids are not high character kids compared to Penn State's players? Just curious.

Ohio State is returning most of its players and bringing in 6 transfers in the portal and the entire college football world is losing its mind. No one mentioned a word when Michigan did the same the past year. Other teams like Ole Miss an Colorado are far more active in the portal and no one cares. I think the real reason is that OSU had the nerve to go snatch 2 of Alabama's best players. How dare they!

Reactions: dailybuck777
We have 6 transfers coming in next year. The same amount as Penn State. Both of our programs seem to use the portal similarly -- plugging key gaps rather than overhauling the roster.

If our guys are "hired guns", would that make AJ Harris and Nolan Rucci and others "hired guns"?

Which of our kids are not high character kids compared to Penn State's players? Just curious.
He's an idiot--ignore him
Ohio State is using the portal much better than Penn State--that's why people are upset. Aside from Fleming Penn State hasn't added anyone that truly is relevant.

Reactions: Westcoast24
Ohio State is returning most of its players and bringing in 6 transfers in the portal and the entire college football world is losing its mind. No one mentioned a word when Michigan did the same the past year. Other teams like Ole Miss an Colorado are far more active in the portal and no one cares. I think the real reason is that OSU had the nerve to go snatch 2 of Alabama's best players. How dare they!
To be fair, people here complained about Colorado and Ole Miss. People are mad because Ohio State is better and it appears the gap is widening.

Ohio State is using the portal much better than Penn State--that's why people are upset. Aside from Fleming Penn State hasn't added anyone that truly is relevant.
And that's on PSU who has one of the biggest - if not the biggest - paying alumni group out there. OSU, TAMU. Texas, Miami etc.....- for the most part - are playing by these crazy new CF rules. There is absolutely NO reason that PSU should take a back seat - when it comes to the Portal and NIL - to any school.

Last edited:
And that's on PSU who has one of the biggest - if not the biggest - paying alumni group out there. OSU, TAMU. Texas, Miami etc.....- for the most part - are playing by these crazy new CF rules. Ther is absolutely NO reason that PSU should take a back seat - when it comes to the Portal and NIL - to any school.
100%--we need to fix it asap

Eh, I think AJ Harris will be a really good addition for you, and you all develop your DBs really well. He really wanted him out of HS and he was thought to be an OSU lean at one point before going to UGA. Was disappointing to lose him.

Eh, I think AJ Harris will be a really good addition for you, and you all develop your DBs really well. He really wanted him out of HS and he was thought to be an OSU lean at one point before going to UGA. Was disappointing to lose him.
There's potential with Harris and Kimber but they're not the level Ohio State added.

Betcha the osu 6 transfers are gonna make a lot more than the PSU transfers

Reactions: JoeParulz
There is no way this NIL thing is sustainable the way it is being done now. Who in the hell is donating to these "collectives"? Certainly not me.

NIL is effectively a Go Fund Me for kids getting a free education, room, and board. PASS!

There is no way this NIL thing is sustainable the way it is being done now. Who in the hell is donating to these "collectives"? Certainly not me.

NIL is effectively a Go Fund Me for kids getting a free education, room, and board. PASS!
This 100% - it's totally out of control. TAMU and Texas started this by spending insane money (oil) on their recruits and now everyone else is trying to keep up. It's beyond crazy

Yes but 2.5 minimum hour drives - not like being right there. One major reason men's basketball never gels. Too far from population centers for mid-week games.
Same old excuse from the same old A-holes. The university with the most active and retired CEOs ... can't cough up NIL and it's. 2 1/2 drive from cities to State College... Well Clemson and Bama... Etc aren't in Manhattan... Nor is UNC and Duke near a major city... WTF up. You want it and do what you need to or you don't. No BS rationalizations required.

This 100% - it's totally out of control. TAMU and Texas started this by spending insane money (oil) on their recruits and now everyone else is trying to keep up. It's beyond crazy
You truly dont believe it will continue? I feel like that's wishful thinking. There's always people willing to spend for this kind of thing. Always has been.

You truly dont believe it will continue? I feel like that's wishful thinking. There's always people willing to spend for this kind of thing. Always has been.
But @ those levels of $ and to so any players? I don't think it's sustainable at those levels to so many players.

If it gets to the point where there is not one player on Penn State that would make the two deep on OSU and OSU now routinely beats us by 30 ... your're happy? Don't give me this well we need to adapt and do what they are doing. That is not the question. Will you be happy getting drubbed by Ohio State every year because they spend the most to get all the top players? I already know Penn State doesn't want to play that game and probably can't to the degree OSU is.

Franklin needs to do a better job winning big games but c'mon if it gets to a point where he has the jv team or maybe it is the middle school team playing the state champs then forget about coaching it is just about the Jimmy and Joes.

I assume you are a PSU fan but I guess you would love a college football world where PSU has no shot, nada. We are not there now and we are competitive although not beating OSU which is annoying and a Franklin issue. But just look where the hockey puck is going and PSU will probably fall behind in this arms race which has no rules. And again we will hit a point where it doesn't matter if it is Franklin or the second coming of Saban as our coach it will simply be we are hopelessly behind with the Jimmy and Joes.

And you are excited about that because coaches get paid a lot and now these pampered players get paid way too much and the kicker...you're favorite team becomes irrelevant. Nice.
With Harbaugh gone the BIG will evolve into multiple tiers: Top Tier: Ohio State by itself; Second Tier: Penn State, Michigan, and Oregon; Third Tier: Washington, Iowa, Wisconsin, and USC; Fourth Tier: Everyone else

But @ those levels of $ and to so any players? I don't think it's sustainable at those levels to so many players.
Maybe...hope you're right but I truly think those that spend will always spend on it. They're not going to stop because of the love they receive for it. I'm sure the programs are playing to their egos and when you have enough money what's a few 100k or even a million. See Pegula.

With Harbaugh gone the BIG will evolve into multiple tiers: Top Tier: Ohio State by itself; Second Tier: Penn State, Michigan, and Oregon; Third Tier: Washington, Iowa, Wisconsin, and USC; Fourth Tier: Everyone else
I'd slide Oregon up to tier one - at least for 2024. USC is the big question mark for 2024 and it all rests on if they can finally put a decent defense on the field

Michigan has a super tough schedule next year. Could easily lose 2 or 3 games.

Michigan has a super tough schedule next year. Could easily lose 2 or 3 games.
This next season actually sets up very well for OSU. Between what you just said and new coach and new QB for Michigan I could see 9 wins being the ceiling. OSU easier schedule and adding a bunch of portal aces could be Ryan Days best scenario since he became head coach. We will see if he can take full advantage of it.

This next season actually sets up very well for OSU. Between what you just said and new coach and new QB for Michigan I could see 9 wins being the ceiling. OSU easier schedule and adding a bunch of portal aces could be Ryan Days best scenario since he became head coach. We will see if he can take full advantage of it.
If? He better or he could be out at OSU.

OSU's Qb (Howard) Pa kid and offensive line is still not going to be good enough to win the Natty, D will be lights out though. Over hyped as usual.

Over hyped as usual.

No idea how we'll fare this upcoming year.

Over the last 10 years, our average preseason ranking is ~4. Our average postseason ranking is ~4.

If you narrow that to the last 5 years, our average preseason ranking is the same -- about 4. Our average postseason ranking is 5.

I'd say we're doing okay.

So long as unlimited money is the game in NIL Oregon and the Nike, Phil Knight money is gonna be a top player.
Big Healthy Individual Donors > Large Alumni Base
Unfortunately this is today's reality.

OSU's Qb (Howard) Pa kid and offensive line is still not going to be good enough to win the Natty, D will be lights out though. Over hyped as usual.
The left tackle transfer from San Diego last year turned out to be a really good player. Assuming Alabama's center will be an upgrade. They will almost certainly pull another offensive lineman out of the portal.

So long as unlimited money is the game in NIL Oregon and the Nike, Phil Knight money is gonna be a top player.
Big Healthy Individual Donors > Large Alumni Base
Unfortunately this is today's reality.
Obviously Pegula isn't Knight but let's not pretend we don't have a very big donor as well.
Penn State, on paper, is one of the schools best suited for NIL

Reactions: psuno1
Same old excuse from the same old A-holes. The university with the most active and retired CEOs ... can't cough up NIL and it's. 2 1/2 drive from cities to State College... Well Clemson and Bama... Etc aren't in Manhattan... Nor is UNC and Duke near a major city... WTF up. You want it and do what you need to or you don't. No BS rationalizations required.
Who do you think has endless stacks of cash to keep this going? Seriously. If I give 500 bucks what difference is that going to make? You are living on planet zero. There are only so many car dealerships and whatnot. No single person has this kind of money...and it will only go up from here. You are crazy. You want to shit on people for not going bankrupt to support athletes who will become millionaires in a year or two. You have a really weird view of reality.

Reactions: 81b&w
I also found this online. OSU reported an all-time national record for athletic revenue in 2023. Might have something to do with the money they're flinging around

That isn't how NIL works though. That money doesn't come from the Athletic Dept. or even the school itself. NIL money comes from the collectives which ( at all schools) are not part of the school. The schools can help facilitate it with the collectives, but they can't pay it.

The left tackle transfer from San Diego last year turned out to be a really good player. Assuming Alabama's center will be an upgrade. They will almost certainly pull another offensive lineman out of the portal.

The line actually improved throughout the year until the Cotton Bowl. The OL reshuffling before the game clearly resulted in that fiasco, but if last year's improvement carries into this year -- with the new additions -- then I'd be stunned if the OL wasn't better.

The OL actually dealt with Michigan's front quite well. Gave up 1 TFL for the entire game, and had about the same rushing yards/carry as Michigan had. The OL looked really solid in November in general. By no means dominant, but definitely serviceable.

That isn't how NIL works though. That money doesn't come from the Athletic Dept. or even the school itself. NIL money comes from the collectives which ( at all schools) are not part of the school. The schools can help facilitate it with the collectives, but they can't pay it.
It allows schools to have donors put money towards NIL as opposed to other things though

Obviously Pegula isn't Knight but let's not pretend we don't have a very big donor as well.
Penn State, on paper, is one of the schools best suited for NIL
A large alumni base is nothing compared to three or four willing well healed donors regarding NIL.
If Phil Knight woke up tomorrow and had Terry Pegula's bank account, he'd have a heart attack and ask what the hell happened to all his money.
Additionally, I have not seen anything indicating Terry Pegula is willing to stroke a check for Jeremiah Smith in recruiting or Caleb Downs in the portal. OSU's collective of NFL player donors has already demonstrated that they are willing to give big in order to keep the program in it's place. This commitment has not been shown by Penn State.
I wouldn't say PSU's large base makes them "best suited" for NIL but I would say it certainly puts them in a position to be viable, no matter what. Whether they can excel at NIL remains to be seen, they have shown nothing to this point except they are average at it like many other schools.

A large alumni base is nothing compared to three or four willing well healed donors regarding NIL.
If Phil Knight woke up tomorrow and had Terry Pegula's bank account, he'd have a heart attack and ask what the hell happened to all his money.
Additionally, I have not seen anything indicating Terry Pegula is willing to stroke a check for Jeremiah Smith in recruiting or Caleb Downs in the portal. OSU's collective of NFL player donors has already demonstrated that they are willing to give big in order to keep the program in it's place. This commitment has not been shown by Penn State.
I wouldn't say PSU's large base makes them "best suited" for NIL but I would say it certainly puts them in a position to be viable, no matter what. Whether they can excel at NIL remains to be seen, they have shown nothing to this point except they are average at it like many other schools.
It's Franklin's job to get the money from Pegula and others. It's arguably the most important part of his job now

It's Franklin's job to get the money from Pegula and others. It's arguably the most important part of his job now
Unfortunately, it's starting to look that way and not just at PSU. CF - as we knew it even just 3 or 4 years ago - is long gone

I was visiting OSU's Eleven Warriors a week or so ago and they mentioned that they have a couple of huge NIL sources - one of them was called "The Foundation" - and anyone-fans can donate to it. Anyways. after their gut wrenching, close loss to Michigan, millions came in from just the fans and many of their current NFL players donating large sums of money.

A few of their other sites - I think The O-Zone, Bucknuts and maybe Buckeye Planet - had directions on how fans could contribute. I believe a few ex-OSU players were spearheading all of this including ex-QB Cardale Jones who's one of the Foundation's figure heads. And this is all separate from the big business guys-billionaires like Lex Wexner (the Limited), the Schottenstein, Galbreath, and Wolfe families - and others - who donate massive sums.

That Michigan loss lit a fire under them. It eats away at them and they just refuse to play 2nd fiddle to others in the B1G. FWIW, the pressure is on Day this year and he better win big

Last edited:
Truth be told, it's essentially win the entire playoff AND beat Michigan or BUST for them.
Agree 100%......especially next year. With those ungodly portal pickups, they probably have the most talented lineup in CF including Georgia. and the pressure on Day to win everything will be off the charts. The only 2 teams challenging OSU in the B1G will be Oregon and possibly PSU.

Normally, I'd put Michigan in there automatically but they're getting wiped out on offense and have a new coach. And like it or not, Harbaugh was the best HC in the BiG. It's just hard to expect a promoted asst coach (S. Moore), with no HC experience, to keep up with what Harbaugh did plus I read they're losing their top 6 OLs.

Reactions: lazydave841
Agree or Day is history - plain and simple - and I have a feeling he knows it

That's silly. Day isn't getting fired if he doesn't win the national championship.

If he loses to Michigan again AND doesn't make the playoff or flops early, then that's perhaps a different story. But if he ends up 11-1 with a loss to Michigan and makes a playoff run -- with or without a title -- firing him is an enormous risk.

If he goes 9-3 with a loss to Michigan, he's done.

Look at Bama after Saban retired. Elite programs need to be very careful about prompting a coaching change unless it's absolutely necessary. Day's 2025 recruiting class is shaping up to be a monster, and with NIL clicking, there's no reason to believe he won't be winning 11+ games every single year. You cannot fire a guy like that........you have to hope that sooner or later the stars align and he'll win it. He came damn close to beating Georgia in 2022, even after losing to Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT