ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Iowa match

I certainly wouldn't want to be thought of as a guy who can't recognize the immense talent of Suriano because that is not the case. I have not been fortunate enough to attend a PSU practice, so I stand guilty as charged. I have watched Thomas Gilman since he was in about 3/rd grade on so many occasions. Take away the extra antics and the occasional bonehead comment and you are left with an intelligent,tough,hard working student of the sport. This is certainly a case of me placing a very high value on experience and not a case of doubting the young man's talent. Gilman, to my eyes, is one of the toughest attacking wrestlers at any weight in the country and has been dealt his share of heartbreak along the way. I don't think he will take his foot off of the gas at anytime this year. His time has come. Yes I am a fan.

... Delgado was a bad style matchup for Nico. Gilman was a good style matchup for Nico ...
I am curious about whether people would suppose Suriano to be a good style matchup for Nico.

Or, what I'd really love please is more elaboration on this good style point. In what ways are Gilman's style good or bad against Suriano's style?

I certainly wouldn't want to be thought of as a guy who can't recognize the immense talent of Suriano because that is not the case. I have not been fortunate enough to attend a PSU practice, so I stand guilty as charged. I have watched Thomas Gilman since he was in about 3/rd grade on so many occasions. Take away the extra antics and the occasional bonehead comment and you are left with an intelligent,tough,hard working student of the sport. This is certainly a case of me placing a very high value on experience and not a case of doubting the young man's talent. Gilman, to my eyes, is one of the toughest attacking wrestlers at any weight in the country and has been dealt his share of heartbreak along the way. I don't think he will take his d]

I agree with all of that. Not a fan of Gilman's antics but

Tough one to call..Both of these wrestlers are fanstatic and only advantage would be for Gilman because of the experience.
Now what does experience do well for some not that much, just watched Micic's from Michgan destroy Montoga from Neb. 13-7 and Nato destroy Richards 12-4. so I know for sure Clark is going to have a very tough road to make the finals again...Dam this sport is for sure not for the weak of heart and guts..

I certainly wouldn't want to be thought of as a guy who can't recognize the immense talent of Suriano because that is not the case. I have not been fortunate enough to attend a PSU practice, so I stand guilty as charged. I have watched Thomas Gilman since he was in about 3/rd grade on so many occasions. Take away the extra antics and the occasional bonehead comment and you are left with an intelligent,tough,hard working student of the sport. This is certainly a case of me placing a very high value on experience and not a case of doubting the young man's talent. Gilman, to my eyes, is one of the toughest attacking wrestlers at any weight in the country and has been dealt his share of heartbreak along the way. I don't think he will take his foot off of the gas at anytime this year. His time has come. Yes I am a fan.

Nick's defense is still his "strong medicine" imho - really not surprising given that he is trFR. See this one as being extremely low-scoring with Nick probably being very conservative in neutral which will effectively negate his offense probably. Again, I see this one at 0-0 going into the 2nd. I see the final as 2-0 or 2-1 type of affair in Gilman's favor.....even if Nick pulls the upset, I still see it very low scoring just the winner being reversed. Having never faced Suriano before, I'm guessing Gilman will not come out guns blazing - I assume he'll be content to spend quite a bit of time feeling each other out. Gilman's experience at this level in ultra-tight matches against guys like Mega, Dance, etc.... is a huge advantage in this match imho. Based on Nick's last two matches, I think Gilman has the advantage - Lizak and Lambert certainly aren't chopped liver, but they aren't Gilman either (i.e., Dance and Gilman are a cut above Lizak and Lambert). Would love to see Nick win, but this is probably going to come down to the better "mat wrestler", which is probably Gilman this early in Nick's collegiate career.

Gman with first TD after 2 min of tieups now riding him and giving the E w 20 secs to go and end of 1 2-1 Iowa

pic out w the E and its 2-2 w 1:16 RT
G in on single, takes it high, goes back low and gets the 2nd ankle and thats two....4-2 and pd ends w RT 1:50

G up and out and its 5-2 w 140 RT
pic in on single take G high but great reaction by gilman who gets loose and then gets back in on reshot and its 9-4
another TD and its 11-4...damn that happened fast. G a buzzsaw

now G stall ride and the crowd letting him hear it.

13 secs left

over 2min RT and its 11-4
pic to his feet
and thats it G rides out and thats a MDec 12-4

fun match
Iowa 4-0
D match prediction 1-0

lots ties and level changes. short O but a lot of elbow control and no shots in 1st min
KB w a shot, stoned by CC and SM...
KB with a 360 spin but CC ends with the leg and great scramble and SM w 1 min to go in 1st PD
CC back in on a leg off whistle. heavy whizzer and hips by KD
CC takes leg high and KD dves under ..........crazy scramble with 10 secs......and and aand KD w the TD as time runs out

2-0 KD wow nice exchange

Reactions: diggerpup
KB dow and out in 8 secs...3-0 and then CC shoots bad and KB spins around for controversial 2 and brands going to the table.... 2 was awarded but its at the table

G up and out and its 5-2 w 140 RT
pic in on single take G high but great reaction by gilman who gets loose and then gets back in on reshot and its 9-4
another TD and its 11-4...damn that happened fast. G a buzzsaw

now G stall ride and the crowd letting him hear it.

13 secs left

over 2min RT and its 11-4
pic to his feet
and thats it G rides out and thats a MDec 12-4

fun match
Iowa 4-0
D match prediction 1-0

Lizak handled Picc pretty easy - Majored him something like 15-4 - so not surprised at this outcome. Lizak scored more points on Nick than anyone else so far this year - 6 points (two of them were off BS stall calls imho) - so not sure this match tells us a whole lot in regards to next week....

1:37 left in 2nd as the ref comes back and the call stands and its 5-0

Whatever happens here, Kaid Brock showed himself to be tier one. This review timeout probably helping Clark more than Brock at the moment.

CC out in a sec and snaps KB and its 5-3...cc just goes HULKKKKK and bar and half...SHIT.....but get PD and its 5-3 with the stop...1 min to go in 2nd pd

CC in on merkel but gets the count and gets 5 secs and its stopped. restart and KB out and its 6-3 on feet for remaining 20 secs.....
end pd 6-3 KB w 48RT in clark favor

Brock looking tired, will be something if he can hold it together here.

KB lets him up and its 6-4 and KB in on shot but stoned and now short O by CC and its SM w 1:30 to go
tie ups, CC out in front w 1m in to go

CC spinning, but nothing. KB shutting down and KB standing gramby to go out of bounds w 40secs left

KB up 2....
CC shot, nothing...back to CC

RT is F....whtat the FFF

KB gets out but RT is F....its 7-6 KB but RT clock went the wrong way....at the table checking it and its .........

KB lets him up and its 6-4 and KB in on shot but stoned and now short O by CC and its SM w 1:30 to go
tie ups, CC out in front w 1m in to go

CC spinning, but nothing. KB shutting down and KB standing gramby to go out of bounds w 40secs left

KB up 2....
CC shot, nothing...back to CC

RT is F....whtat the FFF

Huh? What? What happened???

officials getting more grief from the brands.....

What a match

KB gets out but RT is F....its 7-6 KB but RT clock went the wrong way....at the table checking it and its .........

I'm confused, how did it go from 6-4 both in neutral with under a minute (and something like 50 sec RT-adv CC) to a 7-6 Final? Did CC get a TD and KB an immediate escape near the very end???

heil gets 2....off Christophers action though and lets him up and its 2-1 after 1 min.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
remaining 2 min
and 1st PD ends 2-1 Heil

Classic match, too bad it ended in incompetence at the table and weirdness.

Clark got the TD to make it 6-6 with under 30 secs left, and needed 12 secs (I think) to get the RT point. If he rides out he wins. In about 11 seconds (I think) Brock escapes to make it 7-6. But on screen the RT clock went in the wrong direction, so wasn't clear to viewers whether Clark had secured the point. Brands goes nuts, refs review, establish that Clark had only gotten to :59. Brock wins 7-6.

Clark should have won simply because Brock started his prevent "offense" midway through the second period. Glad our Nittany Lions wrestle whistle to whistle.

Reactions: diggerpup
facts and details...no effect whatsoever:rolleyes: on his posts

Hmmmm-I always thought it was his momma's basement.

Lets forget about this for a while-time for some Cowboy-Hawkeye wrestling! I think we match up better with Iowa than PSU.
Gilman will beat the 125 pounder
Lizak handled Picc pretty easy - Majored him something like 15-4 - so not surprised at this outcome. Lizak scored more points on Nick than anyone else so far this year - 6 points (two of them were off BS stall calls imho) - so not sure this match tells us a whole lot in regards to next week....
Picc has not wrestled good all year !!!!

Last edited:
Classic match, too bad it ended in incompetence at the table and weirdness.

Clark got the TD to make it 6-6 with under 30 secs left, and needed 12 secs (I think) to get the RT point. If he rides out he wins. In about 11 seconds (I think) Brock escapes to make it 7-6. But on screen the RT clock went in the wrong direction, so wasn't clear to viewers whether Clark had secured the point. Brands goes nuts, refs review, establish that Clark had only gotten to :59.

That's what I figured....(and posted above), but that would suggest that CC didn't get screwed after all if they checked the clock on the TD, RT and escape though, no?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT