ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Iowa match

Important, no.

Basically that's my opinion on them also. Thank you.

Suriano vs Gilman will be judged on the actual match, not how each one did against Lambert from Nebraska. Gilman beat him soundly at the Midlands, while Suriano beat him in a very close match, coming at the tail end, of a two match road trip, having to hold weight.

Things that, in my view, hold relevance in this particular match, in no particular order, and tell me if you agree...

1. Suriano True frosh, Gilman senior.
2. Getting out from bottom for Suriano. Although nobody is Lizak, Gilman will introduce that problem for Nick, wrestling at Carver Hawkeye, and with experience.
3. Head-Hands defense, for both wrestlers, making straight on shots difficult, and needing to find angles.

All three of these, slightly favor Gilman. I happen to agree, that this will be a close match, and if Nick wins, it is a slight upset. Gilman is the slight favorite.

But comparative score differences against Lambert? No, not a factor.

I love suriano however I feel he still has some things to tighten up. Suriano is not stronger than gilman. Tough match for nick I have him losing a close match but winning his next meeting because of his drive to get better and learning about his opponents.
I would not be surprised if nick won though tough kid and nico will have coached him well in what needs to be done to win.

How is the weather in chOklahoma smalls? I pay good money for your clan to get me my wrestlin Fix. I'm 34 and Counting on you Mr..:)

I love suriano however I feel he still has some things to tighten up. Suriano is not stronger than gilman. Tough match for nick I have him losing a close match but winning his next meeting because of his drive to get better and learning about his opponents.
I would not be surprised if nick won though tough kid and nico will have coached him well in what needs to be done to win.

"Strength" isn't everything. I watched the "strongest" 125 pounder get decked in overtime in the NCAA finals last year.

21 I agree with everything u said and that is why I say gilman.....completely how I see this match...I worry about suriano finding the angles on gilman just more seasoned at this stage.

Your comment about lizak riding nick is also what worries me several times nick looked to the coaches while flat saying like what do I do while wasting time. Those precious seconds can lead to a riding time point and the lose. But thats from being a frosh.

Reactions: 21Guns
Off the top of my head, Suriano vs Gilman is very high on the list of matches I can't wait to see (Bo vs Dean, Cenzo and Nick N vs anybody in the top 3, Nolf vs Jojo. That pedigree always scares me but I think the gap has widened).

Nick is freaky strong but Gilman is a freaky strong senior. I'm concerned about the pressure Gilman will put on Nick's head from neutral. Picking Nick right now would be a bit homerish on my part. I need to see a few more things.

Gilman 3-0
Clark 8-0 (Cortez out awhile. I don't see them throwing him out there vs Clark)
Carton 11-0 (I root hard for Jimmy, hope I'm wrong)
Zain 11-4
Nolf 11-8
Cenzo 11-12
Meyer 14-12
Bo 14-15 (wouldn't be shocked to see Bo catch and stick the mullet)
Cutch 14-18
Nick 14-21

PSU 21-14

125- gilman comfortably. Season super star against young superstar. Gilman won't really even try to ride, but will look for suckback for nearfall if it presents itself. 8-3 or 10-5 or something along those lines. Subsequent matches between the two will get tighter. 3-0 Iowa
133- Clark by MD 7-0
141- Jimmy in a squeaker dec. 7-3
149- Zain by 4-5 points 7-6
157- Nolf by MD 7-10
165- Joseph by Dec. 7-13
174- Meyer in a close battle 10-13
184 Bo in a 3-4 point match 10--16
197- Cutch in a 4-2 type match 10-19
285- True toss up. If ref calls it like freestyle pushout rule Stoll wins. Ref calls it how it is written and Nick wins. It is CHA Stoll Dec. 13-19

Reactions: Stanley75
You wanna start with me now 21 tell me where I said strength is everything. I never did. I was responding to Spyker comment that suriano is stronger than nico. Not saying he isn't strong enough. I know as much. Strength is not the reason nick will/ will not lose this match

You provided nothing there, but childish attacks on the internet. The irony of it all, lmao.

You seem a little cranky tonight. Here:
th

125- gilman comfortably. Season super star against young superstar. Gilman won't really even try to ride, but will look for suckback for nearfall if it presents itself. 8-3 or 10-5 or something along those lines. Subsequent matches between the two will get tighter. 3-0 Iowa
133- Clark by MD 7-0
157- Nolf by MD 7-10
165- Joseph by Dec. 7-13
285- True toss up. If ref calls it like freestyle pushout rule Stoll wins. Ref calls it how it is written and Nick wins. It is CHA Stoll Dec. 13-19

I give a slight advantage to Gilman due to experience....less likely to press and make a mistake. I see this one 0-0 after first as they are both exceptional defensive wrestlers and will likely be feeling each other out early. Gilman has the advantage on the mat - I could see him winning 2-0 with RT-adv.

I give a slight advantage to Gilman due to experience....less likely to press and make a mistake. I see this one 0-0 after first as they are both exceptional defensive wrestlers and will likely be feeling each other out early. Gilman has the advantage on the mat - I could see him winning 2-0 with RT-adv.
I hope I'm wrong but I don't see how Nick will beat Gilman. Nick may get it closer in the upcoming matches... Gilman is good. Hope I'm wrong.

You wanna start with me now 21 tell me where I said strength is everything. I never did. I was responding to Spyker comment that suriano is stronger than nico. Not saying he isn't strong enough. I know as much. Strength is not the reason nick will/ will not lose this match
No problem I see what you are saying here.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see how Nick will beat Gilman. Nick may get it closer in the upcoming matches... Gilman is good. Hope I'm wrong.

Me too. I sure hope I'm wrong but think Gilman is too experienced and too good for Nick to beat him in Carver.

Me too. I sure hope I'm wrong but think Gilman is too experienced and too good for Nick to beat him in Carver.

Nick Suriano has the talent to beat anyone, just like Thomas Gilman does.

This will also not be the only time they meet. This is round one.

Agree that Gilman is favored in this match, but I like Suriano for the upset. By all accounts he is always well prepared for each and every match (Cael may even say over prepared) and for this match I am sure he has endlessly picked the brain of someone who knows Gilman well - Nico.

Suriano vs Gilman will be judged on the actual match, not how each one did against Lambert from Nebraska. Gilman beat him soundly at the Midlands, while Suriano beat him in a very close match, coming at the tail end, of a two match road trip, having to hold weight.

Things that, in my view, hold relevance in this particular match, in no particular order, and tell me if you agree...

1. Suriano True frosh, Gilman senior.
2. Getting out from bottom for Suriano. Although nobody is Lizak, Gilman will introduce that problem for Nick, wrestling at Carver Hawkeye, and with experience.
3. Head-Hands defense, for both wrestlers, making straight on shots difficult, and needing to find angles.

All three of these, slightly favor Gilman. I happen to agree, that this will be a close match, and if Nick wins, it is a slight upset. Gilman is the slight favorite.

But comparative score differences against Lambert? No, not a factor.
You can not compare how one guy did against another....All have different styles....Nick will beat Gilman...I have watched him wrestle Nico several times and beat him going live....Gilman NEVER beat Nico....Oh well we will see...If Gliman gets a couple calls he could win....Gilman will come out attacking but Nick is very well prepared....

Reactions: 21Guns
I wondered what they looked like....

The guy on the left has had love affairs with Lauren Holly and Jenny McCarthy, and the guy on the right has won nearly every acting award there is to win. I'd love to be in either one's shoes.

You, on the other hand, are typing out internet bully words on a laptop at 1:20 am.

I'll take Spyker and Me, every day and twice on Sunday, over you.

The guy on the left has had love affairs with Lauren Holly and Jenny McCarthy, and the guy on the right has won nearly every acting award there is to win. I'd love to be in either one's shoes.

You, on the other hand, are typing out internet bully words on a laptop at 1:20 am.

I'll take Spyker and Me, every day and twice on Sunday, over you.
Make everyone really happy, besides Spyker, and please go away.....
Only 10:20 here on the west coast.

No, think I'll stay right here. Your snarky "really" initiated the little tiff.

Might benefit you to be a little more mature when visitors post opinions.

I wouldn't like to see this place become like HR, frankly.

Comparative scores are a slippery slope. Someone at my alma mater (Muhlenberg College, D3) did a series of comparatives that wound up with Muhlenberg topping Clemson in football (last one was Pitt beating Clemson). I was LMAO, because we know that isn't happening, but the comps worked that way.

I wouldn't like to see this place become like HR, frankly.

Comparative scores are a slippery slope. Someone at my alma mater (Muhlenberg College, D3) did a series of comparatives that wound up with Muhlenberg topping Clemson in football (last one was Pitt beating Clemson). I was LMAO, because we know that isn't happening, but the comps worked that way.

Yeah, I welcome posters who are fans of our rivals. That makes it so much more fun. I don't want to see posters like Guns be obnoxious with posters like Quinn, who was not trolling at all, just having a reasoned discussion.

As to the comparative scores point, I think the more important point was a comparison of styles, which Quinn was making. That is very relevant. Delgado was a bad style matchup for Nico. Gilman was a good style matchup for Nico. Styles are very important and can have some predictive value, IMO.

133- Clark by MD 7-0
157- Nolf by MD 7-10
165- Joseph by Dec. 7-13
No way Gilman beats Nick by a major. That is funny...Take it you have never been to practice ? I will take Nick but if Gilman does beat him it will be the only time just for the simple fact they are in Iowa. The fans will be getting calls....

Not a biggy, and one i am certain you know but the really strong 125 pound got pinned in the semi-finals.
facts and details...no effect whatsoever:rolleyes: on his posts

He's never been out from under his bridge, so he didn't even realize there are different time zones.
Hmmmm-I always thought it was his momma's basement.

Lets forget about this for a while-time for some Cowboy-Hawkeye wrestling! I think we match up better with Iowa than PSU.

No way Gilman beats Nick by a major. That is funny...Take it you have never been to practice ? I will take Nick but if Gilman does beat him it will be the only time just for the simple fact they are in Iowa. The fans will be getting calls....

Give it up already with the going to practice crap as making you all knowing. The coaches are at practice every day and you think they have no idea what they are doing.

Regardless of the outcome of Gilman/Suriano, you all know you have a real gamer in this one. When Suriano looked like he was going to Iowa, there was a lot of talk on here about lack of offense from him...remember that this is when you though you were going to get Spencer. Likewise when you got him and Iowa fans talked about a lack of offense. Well, we now know he can hang and score. He might not win a title but it's probable he finishes top 4 which is above and beyond what fans could ask of a true freshman. I think it will be a great match myself.

I never thought of a 5 point spread as a major decision. Do teach me the ways of your new math.

Reactions: Sullivan
You can not compare how one guy did against another....All have different styles....Nick will beat Gilman...I have watched him wrestle Nico several times and beat him going live....Gilman NEVER beat Nico....Oh well we will see...If Gliman gets a couple calls he could win....Gilman will come out attacking but Nick is very well prepared....
Seems funny how you would compare watching Suriano wrestle Nico after saying that you cant compare how one guy did against another. Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT