ADVERTISEMENT

U20’s August 14th-20th

Kinda off-topic at the moment I guess ... but what happened with that 6-8 Chinese fella?
Word is he lost his comeback match to a 5 foot tall Bulgarian fireplug. Not to worry. He later destroyed Uncle Carmine in a best of three manhood contest in the showers afterwards.

Elor with a tech against Japan. This might be a lot to say considering how young she is but if Amit stays healthy I think she will go down as the greatest US women’s wrestler of all time. Her last year plus has been unprecedented. If she has back to back years of winning U20, U23, and senior level gold it might be the greatest run of all time. Lots of hyperbole in this paragraph but I think it’s warranted. We need to step back and realize how lucky we are to be watching her live and in the moment. Way in the future people are going to be talking about her greatness and we will be able to say we saw it as it was happening. Let’s enjoy it
After seeing her in person in NYC at Final X 2022, I said here that, barring injury, Amit will go down as the greatest women's wrestler from the USA to this point. She's done nothing to make what I said look like hyperbole.

I prefer the Mesenbrink approach.
I am fine with that too if you actually incorporate it!

Like Miyagi said, It is the "Karate Maybe" approach where we don't commit to attacking, but also are not really in defensive mode that tends to bite us in the a$$...

If you want to stay aggressive, do it!

What you can't be doing is just standing there half-engaged, half-checked out!

After seeing her in person in NYC at Final X 2022, I said here that, barring injury, Amit will go down as the greatest women's wrestler from the USA to this point. She's done nothing to make what I said look like hyperbole.
No, no, no. I said it to my wife in 2021. She’ll back me up.

No, no, no. I said it to my wife in 2021. She’ll back me up.
Well, link it or it didn't happen.

Check out post #228 from the "Junior Worlds" thread from August 2022.

I'm still too busy for retirement jokes, but I did just have hernia surgery so that must qualify me for a new tier.

I was confusing the fact the Elor recently made the senior team for the first time, though she's still junior eligible (and has at least one more year there). She'll probably have a marginally more difficult time than she's having here when she starts wrestling seniors, but I'd wager not much harder.
Based on what I saw in person at Final X (and the facts, iirc, that she won juniors last year when she was cadet eligible and that she actually won both cadets and juniors last year), I'd wager the same. Barring injury or some other radical change, I see her becoming the GOAT of USA women's wrestling.

I see her becoming the GOAT of USA women's wrestling
Have seen similar sentiments from others. Just wonder why the caveat women's, given her age, accomplishments to date, and apparent love for the sport.

I, for one, see her potential to become the GOAT of USA Wrestling as well as being in the conversation of GOAT of wrestling. Time will tell.

Reactions: matter7172
Have seen similar sentiments from others. Just wonder why the caveat women's, given her age, accomplishments to date, and apparent love for the sport.

I, for one, see her potential to become the GOAT of USA Wrestling as well as being in the conversation of GOAT of wrestling. Time will tell.
Good point. If she continues on her trajectory, she could be the GOAT of USA wrestling, no qualifiers. What's amazing to me is how she seems to continually challenge herself when she is so dominant already.

Just to put a ribbon on Amit Elor, and clear up any confusion--she won u20, u23, and Senior Worlds in 2022. She won u17 and u20 in 2021. She is u20 champ already in 2023, w/ two potential tournaments left to dominate. She's 19 years old. She clearly has a path to unqualified GOAT status (at least in the US). Time will tell whether she maintains the passion needed to pass Adeline, Bruce, Smith, JB, and Snyder--but she certainly can.

Just to put a ribbon on Amit Elor, and clear up any confusion--she won u20, u23, and Senior Worlds in 2022. She won u17 and u20 in 2021. She is u20 champ already in 2023, w/ two potential tournaments left to dominate. She's 19 years old. She clearly has a path to unqualified GOAT status (at least in the US). Time will tell whether she maintains the passion needed to pass Adeline, Bruce, Smith, JB, and Snyder--but she certainly can.
Thank you, it was weird to see my error replicated, not to mention my hernia re-lived, this morning.

• Haha
Reactions: nerfstate
Regarding Amit Elor, here is what I posted about her a few months ago: "Imagine the potential career of someone like Amit Elor who only turned 18 on January 1. I am anxious to see how well she does at this year's World Championships. She was not challenged at either the Cadet or Junior level last year. In 2021 she wrestled in both the Cadet and Junior World Championships, taking gold in both without being scored upon. She outscored her opponents 63-0 in winning both tournaments. Here is the UWW link to all of her Cadet and Junior World Championships matches [Edit: now including her 2022 U20 and Senior World Championships bouts.] Amit Elor matches The sky is the limit for her."

Aug. 18, 2023 update: Since 2021 Amit has competed in seven World Championships; Cadets, Juniors, U20 and Seniors. In those seven tournaments she outscored her opponents 166-3 with five falls. [Edit: I went back and included the points she scored in the matches where she got the fall]
Updated again. Seven combined age and senior World Championships medals (six being gold) since 2019, and still only 19, which is just incredible. I must confess I thought her competition would start finding ways to at least slow her down, but it hasn't happened! Regarding her last loss, it was in the semis of the 2019 Cadet World Championships where she lost to her Japanese opponent 3-1. She was in the lead with :25 seconds remaining, but was then taken down. She took third that tournament.

Last edited:
I wonder when Amit will decide if she's going 68 or 76 kg for the Olympic Trials? It is a shame we have so many fantastic wrestlers within those weights.

I wonder when Amit will decide if she's going 68 or 76 kg for the Olympic Trials? It is a shame we have so many fantastic wrestlers within those weights.
This is the big question for sure. I used to think Blades would beat her if she came up. I don’t now but I still think it’s probably one of her toughest match ups. Blades is much much bigger and if she can wrestle from space and hit her double she might have a path to victory. Elor kills everyone from tie-ups but Kennedy is great from space. I hope team wise Elor is able to go down because having 2 of Elor, Blades, and Adeline sitting out would really suck. Adeline is good enough to give anyone problems but I think Elor is a bad match up for her. Then again, Elor has proven to be a bad matchup for everyone. I wonder what her walking around weight is?

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
Updated again. Seven combined age and senior World Championships medals (six being gold) since 2019, and still only 19, which is just incredible. I must confess I thought her competition would start finding ways to at least slow her down, but it hasn't happened! Regarding her last loss, it was in the semis of the 2019 Cadet World Championships where she lost to her Japanese opponent 3-1. She was in the lead with :25 seconds remaining, but was then taken down. She took third that tournament.
She has lost 2x in 2022. 0-2at a ranking meet in Tunisia

I’m pretty sure they were both forfeits and not actual loses. I just checked on the UWW website and the scores listed are 0-0 in both matches. In the second match there is a video link and all it shows is the opponent getting her hand raised without Elor being on the mat. Not sure why she didn’t wrestle but she didn’t actually get beat on the mat

Reactions: Split shot
Iran looks to be even more dominant in greco. The first day they have 4 in the finals and 1 wrestling for 3rd. Pretty impressive tournament if they bring home team gold in both freestyle and greco

I’m interested in seeing Levi or Mesenbrink against Sasso. Levi seems so fundamentally sound he probably matches up better. I could see MM shooting himself into trouble especially with Sasso being so good with people in on his legs. Sasso probably comes in ranked number 1 with Levi 2 if he goes. Have no idea where MM would be ranked initially.

I’m interested in seeing Levi or Mesenbrink against Sasso. Levi seems so fundamentally sound he probably matches up better. I could see MM shooting himself into trouble especially with Sasso being so good with people in on his legs. Sasso probably comes in ranked number 1 with Levi 2 if he goes. Have no idea where MM would be ranked initially.
Deleted due to recent news

Last edited:
Reactions: PASLP2
Wyatt Voelker and Landon Drury both took 5th in greco. They are the only 2 US guys who wrestled for a medal. The big surprise was U17 world champion Joel Adams went 0-1. Lot his first match and his opponent lost in the next round. It seems like we aren’t making much progress in greco on the world scene. I think we have more guys devoting themselves entirely to greco but aren’t really seeing the results yet. @CropDuster507 Are we making any progress internationally and what can we do improve? You seem to be our biggest greco enthusiast on this board

Reactions: hlstone
Elor with a tech against Japan. This might be a lot to say considering how young she is but if Amit stays healthy I think she will go down as the greatest US women’s wrestler of all time. Her last year plus has been unprecedented. If she has back to back years of winning U20, U23, and senior level gold it might be the greatest run of all time. Lots of hyperbole in this paragraph but I think it’s warranted. We need to step back and realize how lucky we are to be watching her live and in the moment. Way in the future people are going to be talking about her greatness and we will be able to say we saw it as it was happening. Let’s enjoy it
You mean “Best US Wrestler” of all time?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT