ADVERTISEMENT

U20’s August 14th-20th

Nwachukwu loses a heartbreaker to Mexico when she gets thrown for four while leading with five seconds remaining.
That is a frustrating loss...

Up 5-0 with :20 to go, you need to hang on for the dub!

Japan is literally having the worst tournament of their lives and are begging us to take the team title; and we are proverbially finding every chance in the world to say "No Thanks."

I'll need to look at the brackets for a refresher, but my gut tells me that India is also coming on strong!

That is it for the U.S. women this round. It is 0330 and my alarm is set for 0515, but I think I will forego heading to bed. I'm just gonna' power through and head to Bible study early since I have a key to the facilities : ) Here are the current team scores:

���
PLACETEAMPOINTSCHCONS12345678910
1United States 8034----------
2India 6051----------
3Japan 5832

I am going bracket by bracket now...

Watch Ukraine too....They are putting together a good tournament

Just re-packaging Psalm's summary....I think this is where we stand in terms of status:

USA
50kg---Gold match
53kg----Semis
55kg---Bronze match
57kg---No Medal/Out
59kg:---Bronze match
62kg---Still alive
65kg---No Medal/Out
68kg---Bronze bout
72kg---SEMIS
76kg---Bronze bout
55kg---Bronze match
57kg---Semis
59kg:---No medal/out
62kg---Still alive
65kg---Still alive
68kg---Gold match
72kg---SEMIS
76kg---No medal/Out
55kg---No medal/out
57kg---Still alive
62kg---SEMIS
65kg---SEMIS
68kg---Bronze bout
72kg---SEMIS
76kg---Gold Match
55kg---Bronze match
57kg---Semis
62kg---Still alive
65kg---Still alive
68kg---No medal/out
72kg---Still alive
76kg---No medal/out

*Still alive means lost today, but are waiting to see if they get pulled back by virtue of their opponent winning in the semis

And check out the attempted Nolf Jonesy tilt in the second period of his gold medal match.

Good grief - attack rate is unreal …. as if he has not a single doubt that he will score. When he does disengage he immediately steps right back in! All this is so blindly obvious that I should not comment, except to say that the Iowa staff is gonna have some sleepless nights.

Good grief - attack rate is unreal …. as if he has not a single doubt that he will score. When he does disengage he immediately steps right back in! All this is so blindly obvious that I should not comment, except to say that the Iowa staff is gonna have some sleepless nights.

They already have a plan.

Collar ties, push, push, push, then yell STALLING. The Carver crowd will gladly help out.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Uncalled for sir.
its-true-stan-marsh.gif

India pretty much has the team title iced up now!!!

3-0 thus far in the semis; 1 more semifinalist to go....And their fifth wrestler of the day was pulled back into repechage

Elor with a tech against Japan. This might be a lot to say considering how young she is but if Amit stays healthy I think she will go down as the greatest US women’s wrestler of all time. Her last year plus has been unprecedented. If she has back to back years of winning U20, U23, and senior level gold it might be the greatest run of all time. Lots of hyperbole in this paragraph but I think it’s warranted. We need to step back and realize how lucky we are to be watching her live and in the moment. Way in the future people are going to be talking about her greatness and we will be able to say we saw it as it was happening. Let’s enjoy it

Katie Gomez got pinned by Yefremova from UKR. Yefremova is going to be the next big star in women’s wrestling. She has never lost in international competition, winning a pair of U17 golds plus every continental championship she has wrestled in. 53kg was by far the toughest and deepest weight in this entire tournament. Tons of world medalists and champions and so far she has pinned everyone. 3-0 with 3 falls! Her toughest match yet though will be in the finals against the defending U20 champ Antim from India. India is killing it as a team this tournament and last year Antim became India’s first ever womens U20 champion. Should be a hell of a match but I’m picking Yefremova. Definitely watch if you can

It’s shocking seeing how bad of a tournament Japan is having! They had a historic tournament last year and most of those ladies aged out so everyone knew this was going to be a fairly young and new team but I think everyone still figured they would win probably just a bit closer. Everything seems to have gone wrong though even from their best. Kiyooka teched her way through this tournament last year, won U23’s, won the senior level Zagreb, and was second at senior trials to Fujinami but she got decked in :16 in the semifinals. Crazy

Reactions: Split shot
Jimenez just got pinned in the finals by China. Chinese wrestler locked up a cradle and that was that. Jimenez fought it for quite awhile but there was no getting out. Silver medal for Audrey

Amani Jones wins bronze! 5-5 on criteria. Jones was up 5-3 and her opponent had a caution for fleeing. Her opponent scores a td with about:10 left to tie it 5-5 and she and myself thought that it put her ahead with criteria. There were no 4 point moves and they both had 2 2 point moves plus 1 point for each. Is the caution the deciding factor in criteria in this situation? It must be but I didn’t realize it. I still thought last point scored won in that situation

We need to learn how to sit on a lead...

Even in the matches that we do end up winning; there always seems to be late drama that causes us to have to sweat it out...

For example, Jones almost gave up a throw at the buzzer in her repechage match earlier. If that goes against her, it costs her the shot at the bronze (which she went on to win)!

Janiak with an 11-0 tech to win bronze!! What really sucks is that the Italian that Janiak beat but got absolutely robbed with the match being given to the Italian just won gold. That medal should absolutely be Janiak’s

Blades and Mir both still to come

Last edited:
Blades up on Mat A. 3-0 Blades at the break. AIN gets a push out but Kennedy immediately back with a td. 5-1. Another step out and it’s 5-2. Blades definitely doesn’t look like herself. She’s either sick or the cut is too much. She doesn’t have the energy she normally does. Step out for Blades and it’s 6-2 and that’s how it ends. 6-2. Bronze medal. I think it will come out that she is pretty sick. Seemed like she was fighting through it every match

Blades up on Mat A. 3-0 Blades at the break. AIN gets a push out but Kennedy immediately back with a td. 5-1. Another step out and it’s 5-2. Blades definitely doesn’t look like herself. She’s either sick or the cut is too much. She doesn’t have the energy she normally does. Step out for Blades and it’s 6-2 and that’s how it ends. 6-2. Bronze medal. I think it will come out that she is pretty sick. Seemed like she was fighting through it every match
Gutsy effort by Blades. I agree with you. That looked like more than a tough weight cut. She was doing the deep breathing you do when your mouth is watering and you're trying not to puke. Really couldn't have been worse timing to fall sick, but she's tough, and a World Bronze is still incredible!

Reactions: zzs006 and vhsalum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT