ADVERTISEMENT

U20’s August 14th-20th

I don't see how they can keep MM on the bench. He's ready to challenge for a national championship now.
With Haines, Facundo, and Starocci at the three weights he could go at, I can see how he may take a redshirt.

Reactions: hlstone
I wrote this over on the Intermat board:

If MM takes his OLY RS, I think he goes to Paris as Dake's training partner and then begins a 4 year reign of terror at 165 then 174.

Unless Dake goes through 2028

With Haines, Facundo, and Starocci at the three weights he could go at, I can see how he may take a redshirt.
I can be overly simplistic, but it seems to me with Cael having no discussions 'yet' with the kids on weights or shirts, I think it comes down to two things that will be determined live in about 2 months:

1). Who's waking around weight is lower Levi or MM? The leaner goes to 157.

2). Who looks better in the room Sep-Nov, Facundo or the larger from #1 above.

My crystal ball thinks Levi may actual be the bigger of the two despite the common thinking here that Mitchell is the auto choice for 165.

I say Mesenbrink 157, Levi 165, Facundo shirts until 174 next year. This will be Carter's final year.

I can be overly simplistic, but it seems to me with Cael having no discussions 'yet' with the kids on weights or shirts, I think it comes down to two things that will be determined live in about 2 months:

My crystal ball thinks Levi may actual be the bigger of the two despite the common thinking here that Mitchell is the auto choice for 165.

I say Mesenbrink 157, Levi 165, Facundo shirts until 174 next year. This will be Carter's final year.
As a software programmer, I love when logic enters the discussion. And is it certain Shapiro goes 149? All due respect to SVN, if the above pans out, I'd almost prefer to see MM v MS next March. Uh, not that SVN-Shapiro wouldn't be great as well. Lion riches are truly embarrassing.

Too many riches. I understand this isn't folkstyle but maybe some of you guys who thought I was crazy for thinking MM would be picking his weight based on who can beat who in college. The kid is Nolf like in so many ways. He can get a bit sloppy at times but the attack rate is unmatched by any current college wrestler I can recall since Nolf.

MM was definitely over-excited in the gold medal match. Lol. The blood time may have helped to settle him down a little.

Reactions: vhsalum
My best laid plans got all f’ed today so I’m sorry I didn’t get to follow along with everyone

What a performance from Mesenbrink. I’m not sure I’ve seen a more dominant run at this tournament by an American. I’m sure there are some that equal it but what he did was truly special. His finals opponent was very very good but he never gave him a second of space. It’s hard to wrestle when you are constantly defending. Lots of people said he needs to pace himself a bit but I’ve never seen Mesenbrink gas. This is just how he wrestles. Pretty sure it’s how he wrestles in practice as well so it’s nothing new for him. And if he does get tired think about how his opponent must feel but I highly doubt any of them are in better shape. The levels MM has jumped in the last 2 years are quite incredible. Askren deserves a ton of credit for that. I am one of the guys that hasn’t jumped off the Facundo train but it’s hard to look at MM and Levi and not think they are the better wrestlers right now. Embarrassment of riches is right

What a great tournament overall and especially for this US team. 8 medals. 2 gold, 2 silver, and 4 bronze! Most ever at this level. The wrestling at all levels in the US is getting so good and it’s a joy to watch. Pretty sure we will continue to crank out world medalist’s at all age groups going forward. Man, I love this sport. Thanks to everyone who watched or commented on this forum. Makes it so much more enjoyable for me having other wrestling obsessed people to talk and joke with

Last edited:
And now I’m curious. Anyone know if U17 or U20 world champs have ever faced each other in the NCAAs?

Why do we think Cael, the coaches, and the wrestlers haven't discussed weights or shirts for the upcoming season?

Lots of people said he needs to pace himself a bit but I’ve never seen Mesenbrink gas. This is just how he wrestles.
I am guilty of that ... I saw him somewhat breathing heavily after 2 minutes but you're right, the opponent always is breathing even harder. I wouldn't rule out somewhat of an adrenaline dump either, it was for the world title and he was facing Iran, who we are in a team race with.

Reactions: zzs006
Why do we think Cael, the coaches, and the wrestlers haven't discussed weights or shirts for the upcoming season?
Mitchell said as much in an interview.

Smart move as well. Keeps guys focused on just becoming a better wrestler and MM on winning a FS gold (which he did).

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
And Kennedy loses 10-0 in the semis. Consistent with what I saw in person at the WTT, I think she can no longer compete at the weight class and it's the highest weight class. In the semi, she had absolutely nothing in her tank. Looked completely washed out. Unless the women's weight classes are changed, she's just too big and can't handle the cut. It's a shame, really, because she is a massive talent.
I can't speak to the potential weight cut issues, but she was definitely sick in her quarterfinal match a few hours earlier. They brought the bucket out for her. In the semis she was wobbly on her legs. My guess is she got sick at the worst time possible.

I think it is the opposite. They will go to any lengths to avoid humiliation.
True, however I really don't know anyone who will not avoid being humiliated, Russian or otherwise. I am fairly certain you can feel shame and not really be humiliated. Shame generally comes from within whereas humiliation comes fron what others think. No?

A nice bonus from MM’s win is that this Junior World title should qualify him for the US OTT so that he doesn’t have to wrestle the US Open if he doesn’t want to. Perhaps this will be a factor in who RSs this season. MM is an easy choice sio he can prepare for OTT

Too many riches. I understand this isn't folkstyle but maybe some of you guys who thought I was crazy for thinking MM would be picking his weight based on who can beat who in college. The kid is Nolf like in so many ways. He can get a bit sloppy at times but the attack rate is unmatched by any current college wrestler I can recall since Nolf.
I didn't think you were crazy. I'm right there with you.

We have a 76.5 pt lead in Returning Points.

4 board members could wrestle 157, 165, 174, and 197 drunk (or get DQ for missing weight) -- and we'd still have an 11-pt margin.
Hah! I remember once in my college years where we dared a friend to drink about 1/2 bottle of wine before the finals in an off season tournament. (I think it was in York too!) He took us up on it and then went out a beat a pretty decent guy in the finals. He never took us up on another dare like that again. 😁

I disagree. I have absolutely no insider info, however, as a businessman NLI with the potentially only 5 time NCAA Champion could be crazy…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT