ADVERTISEMENT

U20’s August 14th-20th

Jones next on C against the Russian (unofficial) wrestler for the last match of the session for the U.S. women.

Last edited:
After watching both Bouzakis and Mendez, I expect Nagao and Beau to rack up 6 team points in a tOSU/PSU dual.

They are good. Very good. But Beau is rock solid and you have to be a lot better than what Mendez showed to beat him. And Bouzakis, well, he is going to have a bad time with Nagao on top. If he’s getting gassed in FS, a seven minute folk match against Nagao is going be unpleasant.
I honestly expect mendez to take a RS this year.

Reactions: donboy6499
After watching both Bouzakis and Mendez, I expect Nagao and Beau to rack up 6 team points in a tOSU/PSU dual.

They are good. Very good. But Beau is rock solid and you have to be a lot better than what Mendez showed to beat him. And Bouzakis, well, he is going to have a bad time with Nagao on top. If he’s getting gassed in FS, a seven minute folk match against Nagao is going be unpleasant.

Its not likely that Nagao pins Bouzakis. Bouzakis just wrestles so uncontrolled in FS. always looking for 4s and big moves in general. In folk, he's only slightly more reserved - but doesn't seem to gas when he's wrestling in the right weight class.

Its not likely that Nagao pins Bouzakis. Bouzakis just wrestles so uncontrolled in FS. always looking for 4s and big moves in general. In folk, he's only slightly more reserved - but doesn't seem to gas when he's wrestling in the right weight class.
I think he meant 6 total team points in both match-ups.

Last edited:
Blades 4-3 over Japan and into the semis! She had to battle a sick stomach and what looked like a bout of vomiting or close to it.
And Kennedy loses 10-0 in the semis. Consistent with what I saw in person at the WTT, I think she can no longer compete at the weight class and it's the highest weight class. In the semi, she had absolutely nothing in her tank. Looked completely washed out. Unless the women's weight classes are changed, she's just too big and can't handle the cut. It's a shame, really, because she is a massive talent.

Sour ending to an otherwise pretty good day for the U.S. Ladies...

The Janiak robbery is going to bother me for a while!

-All 5 still in medal contention
-1 in the finals
-2 others locked into bronze bouts

Japan had a surprisingly poor day by their standards...1 finalist, 2 wrestlers already knocked out!

Also, this Russian kid in the 61kg 1-2 match is killing me. He is blatantly stalling, making the match 2x as long as the clock allows, every single time the whistle blows. The ref isn't doing anything about it.

Reactions: Ski and dicemen99
Also, this Russian kid in the 61kg 1-2 match is killing me. He is blatantly stalling, making the match 2x as long as the clock allows, every single time the whistle blows. The ref isn't doing anything about it.
In the semis they penalized him a point- he went from up on criteria to down a point with low time left. Then he found a lot of energy and scored a takedown to win. Really pretty disgusting way to compete, I would be ashamed to wrestle that way.

Reactions: Ski and dicemen99
In the semis they penalized him a point- he went from up on criteria to down a point with low time left. Then he found a lot of energy and scored a takedown to win. Really pretty disgusting way to compete, I would be ashamed to wrestle that way.
An entirely different culture. In the US the goal is to dominate. The body language here seems to be to win at any cost with a premium on deception. The Russian backs to the edge appears to be about to give up a point then counters using the fact of the edge to his advantage. I saw two Russian women using the same tactic.

I'm not sure, but I don't think there is a word in the Russian language that approximates the word shame. As a matter of fact, from what I know about Russians ( I admit not much) I don't think there is a Russian emotion that approaches shame in any manner.

I'm not sure, but I don't think there is a word in the Russian language that approximates the word shame. As a matter of fact, from what I know about Russians ( I admit not much) I don't think there is a Russian emotion that approaches shame in any manner.
I think it is the opposite. They will go to any lengths to avoid humiliation.

MM in on the legs twice in the first ten seconds
The first for 1 then for 2
Finishes the second with a trap arm and score four more 7-0
The Iranian counters nicely reversed for one then gets two with a lace 7-3
MM hets two seems to be all in and on legs at will 9-3
MM gets one more on a step ut but appears winded 10-3
The Iraninan gets 2 on a nice TD 10-5
MM uses the mutual fatigue to get one more on a step out 11-5
Blood time both appear to need the break MM has pushed the pace the entire period

As much as you love his attack mentality, MM definitely needs to work on pacing himself, especially in folk.

With the new 3pt TD rule, if he scores 5 TDs, and gives up 4 escapes, he's up 15-4 after the first period. If he escapes at the start of the second and scores once more, match over, <4min in.
I am being ridiculous in hindsight but I just needed something to nitpick after he teched his way through one of the most notoriously difficult U20 weights 😅

The more I watch this kid, the more impressed I am.

My take..at 157..he wins title (I think Levi does as well)
at 165..dogfights with Carr and O'Toole

Reactions: Ja1339
That’s why I think the redshirt will come from either Levi or Mesenbrink this year. Let Facundo deal with the 165 meat grinder until it clears out in 2025.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT