ADVERTISEMENT

U20’s August 14th-20th

Mesenbrink won so quickly I didn’t miss any of the Bouzakis match. This is a huge one for Nic. Mohit is probably the favorite for gold so let’s hope he takes a page from his teammate Mendez and knocks off the top guy

Bouzakis with his patented seatbelt to throw-by and gets the first td. Now goes front head to head in the hole and gets 2 more. 4-0 Nic

This is what he needed to do. Much more aggressive to start. Mohit back with a td and turn though and he leads 4-4 on criteria

Lots of action and Nic scores 2. 6-4 but Mohit right back and it’s 6-6. Gut for Mohit and it’s 8-6

8-6 at the break. Tons of action. Nic doing well but needs to tighten up defensively. He gets in to these shootouts quite a bit and it’s not usually a good thing. Lost last year at worlds 16-15 I believe

Bouzakis with a td right away and he’s back on top 8-8

Mohit killing him with an underhook to single. Scores a td from it and it’s 10-8 IND

Super high pace. Mohit scores as he limp arms a whizzer and leads 12-8. Crazy scramble and Nic comes out on top. 12-10 with :52 left

Mohit gets behind but Nic goes quad pod, turns in and doesn’t give up anything. :19 left. They have a caution and 1 to Mohit so it’s 12-11 and they start in par tarre which actually hurt Bouzakis. He can’t get the turn and time runs out. Crazy match. 12-11 IND
Why did the ref blow the whistle right as Bouzakis secures the lace when it was 12-10 with 52 sec to go?

Can someone else please do pbp? I won’t be able to for any other matches today unfortunately

Good for the US that the Russian (AIN) kid won in the semis, but that was a comical display and @CropDuster507 you've got to admit they never would have let THAT happen in folkstyle. We are in an uproar about one of the injury time/lunger displays, let only six or seven.

His own coach wouldn't even buy into the injury thing.

India got a pin in the semis, Bouzakis is back in

Death metal an interesting choice for between match songs

Reactions: zzs006
Damn is Mesenbrink the real deal or what?! Tech in the semis in about a minute. His knee pull is deadly. Pretty much gets it whenever he wants. Plus I saw him use that Keegan like outside step high crotch earlier. He perfects that and it’s lights out for everyone else from neutral. He definitely has had the easier side of the bracket but his performance has been nothing short of spectacular

Last edited:
One minute in, no score, Berge warned for passivity.

Berge on clock. Magamadov with a pushout off of double leg 0-1.

Clock expires. 0-2.

Mag in on low single. Chases it down for 2 at buzzer. 0-4.

Two shots in the entire period, both by Mag, both resulting in points.

Mag with nice duck for 2. 0-6

Berge with a couple of shots but not close to getting through.

Just as I write that, nice single by Berge 2-6.

Mag showing the famed Russian endurance, backing out and defending only now 1:00 minute to go.

Berge close to TD, but cannot finish. I think about :30 to go.

Berge challenging that he exposed Mag. Long challenge. Berge loses challenge - Mag awarded 2 for exposure 2-9. That didn't work out well.

Berge with flurry at end - nothing. Final 2-9.

Shame because a more active wrestler probably takes it to Mag - he was done wrestling with about 2:30 left. But that's not Berge, so it is what it is.

Last edited:
If PSU don't wrestle Missouri or Iowa State there is a good chance Mesenbrink could go to NCAAs as the 2-seed. I'm not even sure he couldn't get the 1-seed if he does get a shot at Carr or O'Toole.

Reactions: Split shot
Lilledahl up now vs Nishiuchi (JPN) for gold.
  • Nishiuchi working LL at the edge and throws by for two.
  • Nishiuchi again with a slick go-behind for two. LL having problems with Nishiuchi's strength. 0-4.
  • LL trying some level changes, not looking to tie up. Nishiuchi less aggressive. Break.
  • LL looked for ankles, couldn't get anything. Nishiuchi content to hang back, should be on clock. 1:30 remaining.
  • 5-0 after a step out. :45 remaining.
  • Time winding down, it'll end 5-0.
  • Great tournament from Luke, but the age/strength difference here vs Nishiuchi was obvious; he couldn't get near him.

Last edited:
Nish twice with a throw by off a Russian tie. 0-4.

End of 1. LL lost the hand fight early. 0-4.

LL with an adjustment, posting to the other side, very active. Still no score. 0-4 2 minutes left.

Lot of activity by LL but Nish holding center. Now Nish with 1 point step out 0-5.

LL unable to solve head hands defense by Japan. Final 0-5. Kid from Japan was every bit as long as LL and probably longer, plus looked like he had a strength advantage. Tough battle, but the better guy won.

Last edited:
Good for the US that the Russian (AIN) kid won in the semis, but that was a comical display and @CropDuster507 you've got to admit they never would have let THAT happen in folkstyle. We are in an uproar about one of the injury time/lunger displays, let only six or seven.

His own coach wouldn't even buy into the injury thing.
It would never happen in folkstyle because not a single other country gives a shit about crawling out of bounds for restarts and handfighting for 2min to get to OT, just to handfight until ride-outs, where you win just for staying in a position.

I'm slipping back into folk-mode with our JUCO guys getting back to town. Give me foreigners crying wolf for injury over people leaping out of bounds (UNPENALIZED, in fact REWARDED) for a restart any day.

Reactions: LHavenlion
Gonna stand by my previous critique of Mendez, who I still think will be pretty damn good.

But when he can’t outpace/horsepower people, he seems to run out of ideas.

Reactions: vhsalum
Mendez comes up short against Shakeri (IRAN), 5-2. Got closer in the second half but was a notch below Shakeri's tier.
The hips don't lie.

shakira-whenever-wherever.gif

70kg gold
  • Shapiro gets hit with an arm spin into a gut by a very long Rezaeiaghouz (IRAN), down 4-0.
  • Both guys are flying around, and looks like Shapiro got a knee the head, getting wrapped up during blood time.
  • Shapiro gets to a leg but it's stopped for PD.
  • Step out, 4-1.
  • Shapiro's head wrapping is now off, but he pushes Rezaeiaghouz over at the edge for exposure, 4-3.
  • Ref finally acknowledges that the bandage is just hanging there. He'll continue without it. Break.
  • Pace was frantic early, then slowed toward end of first. Gas tank for Rezaeiaghouz could be an issue.
  • Perfect ankle pick by Shapiro, looked lace, but won't get it. 5-4.
  • Double by Shapiro, Rezaeiaghouz looked to turn corner, neither scores.
  • Shapiro now pushing action, Rezaeiaghouz slow to get back to center.
  • Shapiro with a step-out point, 6-4.
  • Rezaeiaghouz tried to shrug but Shapiro saw it coming, gets behind to make it 8-4.
  • Rezaeiaghouz with a double of his own, 8-6. Great match here.
  • Rezaeiaghouz looked double, Shapiro countered, step out. 9-6.
  • Shapiro with a go-behind and that's it. 11-6, a well earned gold medal.

Last edited:
It would never happen in folkstyle because not a single other country gives a shit about crawling out of bounds for restarts and handfighting for 2min to get to OT, just to handfight until ride-outs, where you win just for staying in a position.

I'm slipping back into folk-mode with our JUCO guys getting back to town. Give me foreigners crying wolf for injury over people leaping out of bounds (UNPENALIZED, in fact REWARDED) for a restart any day.
Moving off point here because you didn't address my complaint about the match (I'm assuming you haven't watched it yet) - I was complaining about the Russian refusing to get off the mat 6 or 7 times on restarts, sitting there for 20 or 30 seconds (or more) while the official and his own coach were cajoling him to get up and start wrestling. The last minute and a half took almost 7 minutes in real-time. I get that foreigners cry wolf for lungers a lot (it happens here in the US as well), but this kid took it to a new level.

But since you moved it, I'll follow. I know you are from MN where staying in the top position doesn't count for much, but I'm from PA and those of us in PA know just how exciting that 30-second ride at the end of a period or match can be, even with a few whistle stops. Even without any scoring, it can be extremely dramatic. I don't need a point to go up on the board to know that I've just witnessed someone accomplish something that demonstrates a high level of ability.

As far as OT, you will get no argument from me. Criteria is not a tie and is a perfectly good way to decide a winner. I'm not a fan of the riding time OT winner that the NCAA has in place when participants have a chance to pick neutral. If you are going to have rideouts in OT, each guy should go top/bottom. The way it is now is as stupid as the international ball grab OT was in years past.

Did the Iranians in the past refuse to wrestle an Israeli, or was that another country?

Moving off point here because you didn't address my complaint about the match (I'm assuming you haven't watched it yet) - I was complaining about the Russian refusing to get off the mat 6 or 7 times on restarts, sitting there for 20 or 30 seconds (or more) while the official and his own coach were cajoling him to get up and start wrestling. The last minute and a half took almost 7 minutes in real-time. I get that foreigners cry wolf for lungers a lot (it happens here in the US as well), but this kid took it to a new level.

But since you moved it, I'll follow. I know you are from MN where staying in the top position doesn't count for much, but I'm from PA and those of us in PA know just how exciting that 30-second ride at the end of a period or match can be, even with a few whistle stops. Even without any scoring, it can be extremely dramatic. I don't need a point to go up on the board to know that I've just witnessed someone accomplish something that demonstrates a high level of ability.

As far as OT, you will get no argument from me. Criteria is not a tie and is a perfectly good way to decide a winner. I'm not a fan of the riding time OT winner that the NCAA has in place when participants have a chance to pick neutral. If you are going to have rideouts in OT, each guy should go top/bottom. The way it is now is as stupid as the international ball grab OT was in years past.
I'm just over here happy to know who won at the end of matches, something we take for granted in Folkstyle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT