ADVERTISEMENT

U20’s August 14th-20th

Looks like Darrah and Bouzakis will be up at the same time. I’ll do Bouzakis if someone wants to do the Darrah match

Bouzakis against an AIN athlete. Let’s hope Bouzakis attacks a bit more this match

Bouzakis continuing to work a front headlock but he hasn’t been able to score from there yet this tournament. Shot to seatbelt and Nic scores a td. He’s really really good from that position

Another shot but AIN defends and re-attacks. Gets a Td of his own. 3-2 Bouzakis. I must have missed a shot clock point

Bouzakis with another Td and leads 5-2 at the break

Blood time for AIN coming out of the break. Back to action. Hard club by Nic and he gets warned. AIN in on a shot and Bouzakis kind of bails on it to go to quad pod. Stays strong in the position and gives up no points. AIN challenging. Challenge won. 2 points AIN. 5-4 Nic

Bouzakis is a strange wrestler. Really really good in certain positions but seems kind of lost in others

Nic with a quick td and back up 7-4. 1:45 left. More blood time

Back to wrestling. 1:31 left. AIN in on a shot but Nic defends with a front quarter Nelson Defends another shot and runs behind for 2. 9-4 now with :28 left

AIN immediately gets a Td to cut it to 9-6. That’s how it will end. Tough match again but Bouzakis pulls it out. He needs to pick it up a bit now though because he’s going to get really tested next against IND. he wrestles like he has been and I think he loses. Will be the underdog coming in

Last edited:
Christian Carroll up on mat C. Quick td and into a lace. POL fights it hard and only gives up 1 turn. 4-0

Carroll has definitely added some size. He’s a legit heavy now. He gives up a Td and the lead is cut to 4-2

Beautiful high crotch from space for 2 and into another lace. This time he gets 4 out of it and the lead jumps to 10-2

Head pinch for 4 and that’s all she wrote. 14-2 tech in 2:30

Looks like Jack Darrah loses 4-3 to Georgia and probably won’t place. Tough loss especially for the team race. He wins that match and likely makes the semis

Reactions: Split shot
Mesenbrink in the hole on mat B against Jaideep. Jaideep has decent credentials but none from this year. Was U20 Asian’s silver last year. Mesenbrink seems to be on another level though and I expect him win handily

Magamadov at 86kg is really flipping good. Berge will probably see him in the semis

Bouzakis and MM will probably be up at the same time. I’ll prioritize the Mesenbrink match

Here we go. I love watching Mesenbrink wrestle!

A shot in the first 5 seconds. Defended but in on another and it’s 2 right into a lace. 6-0

Another shot and in deep but IND defending hard. MM stays with it and gets 2. 8-0 1 min in

Kid doesn’t know what hit him. Mesenbrink with another attack and he gets 1. 9-0

High crotch. Comes out the back but IND squares up. MM like a dog on a bone and keeps going. Gets the Td and it’s over. 11-0 in about 1:30. Damn is he special or what

Mesenbrink won so quickly I didn’t miss any of the Bouzakis match. This is a huge one for Nic. Mohit is probably the favorite for gold so let’s hope he takes a page from his teammate Mendez and knocks off the top guy

Bouzakis with his patented seatbelt to throw-by and gets the first td. Now goes front head to head in the hole and gets 2 more. 4-0 Nic

This is what he needed to do. Much more aggressive to start. Mohit back with a td and turn though and he leads 4-4 on criteria

Lots of action and Nic scores 2. 6-4 but Mohit right back and it’s 6-6. Gut for Mohit and it’s 8-6

8-6 at the break. Tons of action. Nic doing well but needs to tighten up defensively. He gets in to these shootouts quite a bit and it’s not usually a good thing. Lost last year at worlds 16-15 I believe

Bouzakis with a td right away and he’s back on top 8-8

Mohit killing him with an underhook to single. Scores a td from it and it’s 10-8 IND

Super high pace. Mohit scores as he limp arms a whizzer and leads 12-8. Crazy scramble and Nic comes out on top. 12-10 with :52 left

Mohit gets behind but Nic goes quad pod, turns in and doesn’t give up anything. :19 left. They have a caution and 1 to Mohit so it’s 12-11 and they start in par tarre which actually hurt Bouzakis. He can’t get the turn and time runs out. Crazy match. 12-11 IND

Last edited:
Bouzakis looks gassed in my opinion, hopefully he can find that extra gear.

Mohits length seemed to be a major factor.

Last edited:
Bouzakis is just a mystery to me. He’s obviously very good but defensively he just straight bailed on so many positions to try and go quad pod instead of just using baseline defense. He’s great at going single, to seatbelt and either throwing it by or coming up to a bodylock and he absolutely kills people there. If he can’t get to those positions though he doesn’t have much else and defensively he’s all over the place. I think he’s depended on his strength for so long that in certain positions he doesn’t quite know what to do if he can’t horse the guy around. Losing to Mohit 12-11 isn’t bad by any means so I don’t want to sound like I’m completely bashing him. He just confuses the shit out of me at times

Berge up on mat C against BUL

BUL sporting the pink and yellow mismatched shoes. Berge with a low double and he converts. Close to a lace but nothing. 2-0

Nice job staying with an attack by Berge. Single leg defended but he drove BUL across the entire mat for 1.

Berge with another Td and 3 turns!! 11-0 tech and into the semis!

That’s it for this round for our 5 guys who started today. Not great overall but pretty much exactly as I thought it would go

Mesenbrink in the semis against Baitashov from KGZ. MM is the definite favorite

Bouzakis now waits to see if Mohit wins in the semis to keep him alive. Mohit will see Alili from MKD who pinned Japan. Mohit should win and pull Nic into repechage

Berge is in the semis but will face the gold medal favorite Magamadov who beat Berge in the finals last year. Super tough test. Berge can do it but he is for sure the underdog coming in

Jack Darrah has to wait to see if GEO can pull him back in. I think GEO wins their next match but loses in the semis to eliminate Darrah

Carroll also has to wait to see if Masoumi makes the finals. I don’t think there is a bigger sure thing in this tournament so I’m pretty positive Carroll will wrestle tomorrow in the repechage. He has it tough though with the guy from TUR being a continental champ and only losing to Masoumi 9-1. Me saying only 9-1 shows just how dominant Masoumi is

Iran had another great day pushing 4 into the semis. They lost at 86kg and I think he likely gets eliminated. Iran wrestles Russia in the semis at both 61kg and 74kg. Those could go either way. I think Iran definitely pushes both their 92kg and 125kg guys into the finals. This team race looks like it’s going to come down to the wire. 2 h2h in the finals today and possibly at 74kg as well

That Iranian HWT is something else.
He’s so good. It’s going to be interesting to watch him vs Zare in the coming years. Zare is still super young so one of them will be sitting on the sidelines while they are probably both good enough to win senior medals. Obviously Zare already has and I believe has beaten Masoumi when they have wrestled but Masoumi is so young and still getting better

Bouzakis is just a mystery to me. He’s obviously very good but defensively he just straight bailed on so many positions to try and go quad pod instead of just using baseline defense. He’s great at going single, to seatbelt and either throwing it by or coming up to a bodylock and he absolutely kills people there. If he can’t get to those positions though he doesn’t have much else and defensively he’s all over the place. I think he’s depended on his strength for so long that in certain positions he doesn’t quite know what to do if he can’t horse the guy around. Losing to Mohit 12-11 isn’t bad by any means so I don’t want to sound like I’m completely bashing him. He just confuses the shit out of me at times
I agree with this. I can’t figure it out. Last year he lost in a shoot out and gassed. In the states he seems to just destroy everyone.

He’s so good. It’s going to be interesting to watch him vs Zare in the coming years. Zare is still super young so one of them will be sitting on the sidelines while they are probably both good enough to win senior medals. Obviously Zare already has and I believe has beaten Masoumi when they have wrestled but Masoumi is so young and still getting better
Zare actually widened the gap the last time they wrestled. I was surprised. He's MUCH bigger than Zare.

As a joke, I talked to some guys at USA Wrestling and urged them to go get Masoumi as a transfer. Would be great to start the process now so that when gable stops - we've got a Gold medal contender for the next 10 years.
Can you guys talk to Carl about that? Maybe divert some of poppa-Ira's funds to this endeavor?

Reactions: zzs006

I agree with this. I can’t figure it out. Last year he lost in a shoot out and gassed. In the states he seems to just destroy everyone.

Easy to figure out - you just said it.

Relies on his strength too much and refuses to wrestle positionally. It's going to be interesting to see how he develops at tOSU. They're going to have to force him to do something he hasn't done his entire career - and he's been winning matches since he was 7 years old. Those are going to be some hard habits to break.

The kid has a high pain tolerance, great explosiveness and loves wrestling though, so he CAN do it.

Its freestyle you get this crap all the time, (bogus shot clock stuff, very questionable scoring, dunb ass exposure points, even more idiotic par tere) yet we still have idiots who think college should go this route. The one and only thing good about freestyle that could possibly benefit folkstyle is stand them back up after a minute of riding with no turning combination implemented, without an escape point given. But that would be a freestyle rule just a idea from it.
I'd change your recommendation to "stand them back up after half a minute of riding with no turning combination implemented, without an escape point given." I think 30 seconds is plenty of time to attempt a turning combination.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT