ADVERTISEMENT

U20’s August 14th-20th

Here we go. AZE In deep right off the bat but Luke defending super hard. They go out of bounds and no points. AZE challenges. I thought he would get 1 for a step out so let’s see what the challenge says. Challenge won. 1 point on a step out. 1-0 AZE. Nice throw-by but AZE squared up. Luke keeps after and gets 1. 1-1 now. Wow. Perfect sweep single by Lilledahl and he goes up 3-1. Break and Luke is up 3-1. Nice first period. Damn. AZE. Into a shot and lace. Down 7-3 now. 1:45 left. Td Luke. 7-5. One more he will be up on criteria. 1:00 left. Let’s go Luke. AZE with a big 2. 9-5 :25. Left. Yes!!!!!’ **** yes!!!!! Lilledahl with the fall with :06 left.

That was f’ing awesome!! Scramble and Luke throws in a half and gets the fall. Watch this match!

Rewatching and he didn’t actually use a half. Just kind of held his opponents arm at the elbow with legs in and got the fall. Incredible match!

Last edited:
Got a couple things moved around and I’m going to finish off these semis. I missed the Mendez match but he beat Toprak 3-1 to make the finals. He will wrestle Shakeri from Iran in the finals who just beat the Russian 11-8

Lilledahl’s win was massive for the team race. Obviously he pushed through to the finals but it also eliminated Javan from Iran

Shapiro up now against Julian George representing PUR. Meyer with the first td as they go out of bounds. 2-0 :30 in and we have blood time. George with a nice attack but Meyer goes chest wrap and it’s his points. 4-0. Scramble on the edge and the refs are conferring to see how it should be scored. Somehow they go 1 George when I saw it as 1 or 2 for Shapiro. Let’s see what the challenge says. Shapiro wins the challenge and it’s 5-0 instead of 4-1. Shot George, reattack Meyer and he gets a Td on the edge. 7-0. Td into a lace and that’s all she wrote. 11-0 tech in 2:30. Shapiro is so damn good. Shapiro vs VanNess is going to be fire this coming season!

IRI vs KGZ for the second spot in the finals at 70kg. KGZ winning would be big for the team race

In Lilledahl you can really see the influence Penn State wrestling has had on kids coming up now. Lots of switching up mid-move, patient defense that turns into offense, always looking for the ankle, unafraid to take risks, undaunted by giving up points, bottomless gas tank. Can't wait to see him in blue and white.

The US puts its first 3 guys into the finals. Still haven’t lost a single match today. Singleton has his hands full coming up though. Jaglan is a beast

I'm REALLY glad you guys didn't get shapiro. sheesh.
I was just thinking about how good he would have looked in blue and white. Not a great spot for him though. Would have to beat VanNess or either Levi or Mesenbrink to make the lineup. Shapiro is definitely right there with those guys but probably not an upgrade. He is special though

Rezaei from IRI wins and we will see him vs Shapiro in the 70kg final. Rezaei is the U20 Asian champ and took second at the senior level Yaser Dogu earlier this year. Will be a good matchup for Shapiro

I was just thinking about how good he would have looked in blue and white. Not a great spot for him though. Would have to beat VanNess or either Levi or Mesenbrink to make the lineup. Shapiro is definitely right there with those guys but probably not an upgrade. He is special though
you wouldn't have gotten Mesenbrink I don't think - who then would have ended up at Ohio St

Kadiev from Russia vs Tcokaev of AZE in the first semi at 79kg. Kadiev has been killing everyone. Kadiev wins 8-4 to move into the finals

Singleton drops down to a double that becomes a huge 4 against Jaglan, ref was even looking fall.

Jaglan gathers himself and gets four step outs plus a caution to go up 5-4. Singleton is in good shape for criteria scenarios but is getting pushed around the mat.

Blood stoppage for Singleton, who comes out strong immediately after, but then gives up another step out. 6-4. Go-behind for Jaglan and it's 8-4 at break.

Out of the break, hard to see Singleton going the distance here without a big move, he's tired, but Jaglan seems to have lost some steam as well.

Singleton now has a second caution after dancing away, and he's on the clock as well. Jaglan with another TD, and it's 11-4, now 12-4 with the clock point. 1:43 remaining.

Singleton with a takedown! 12-6.

Jaglan with an easy takedown, followed by an even easier gut and that's it, 16-6, first US loss of the day.

Last edited:
Singleton vs Jaglan up now. Singleton with a massive 4 :30 in!! 4-0 Step out Singleton and it’s 4-1. Jaglan is super physical and moving Singleton all over the mat. 2 more stepouts plus a caution and 1 and it’s 4-4 now. Singleton leads on criteria. Jaglan with another step out point. 5-4. Singleton with a few good attacks but he’s getting killed in the handfight. Being pushed all over the place. Td Jaglan. And the score is 8-4 at the break. They need to come up with something to keep Singleton in this match. Singleton on the clock. 2nd caution and 1. 9-4. He can’t handfight with Jaglan. Td IND and it’s 12-4. Nice high single by Singleton and he converts. 12-6. Singleton just gave up 2 on the edge. Literally just turned his back and gave up a Td. A couple turns and it’s a 16-6 tech for Jaglan. Jaglan is super good and just manhandled Singleton

Reactions: hlstone
I know how much you love MM. who is the better recruit? Mesenbrink or Shapiro?
honestly?

Absolutely no idea. We haven't seen Mesenbrink in high level folk matches yet. So Shapiro gets the edge there.

I think if Mesenbrink stays/goes 157, we see a Shapiro/Mesenbrink final in 2025.

@tikk10 Your play by play looks much nicer than mine!

Last match for the US today. McDanel vs Babaloo from IRI

honestly?

Absolutely no idea. We haven't seen Mesenbrink in high level folk matches yet. So Shapiro gets the edge there.

I think if Mesenbrink stays/goes 157, we see a Shapiro/Mesenbrink final in 2025.
If Shapiro can beat Van Ness at 149 and Mesenbrink at 157 for two national titles, he really will be special!

BTW, the coverage here is great. Thank you!

honestly?

Shapiro beat two NQs last year. Let's not pretend that he has a super impressive Folk resume, either.

Pretty great first day for the US. 3 in the finals and the other 2 will wrestle for bronze

Shapiro beat two NQs last year. Let's not pretend that he has a super impressive Folk resume, either.
Actually he beat zero NQs last year. The starters he faced lost every match in their respective conference tourneys, and none of his opponents had qualified in prior years.

Still a good year for a HS senior.

Reactions: vhsalum
Iran matches us with 3 in the finals.
They also have Safi at 79kg in repechage but Javan at 57kg is out. So 5 going for medals for the US with 3 for sure for Iran and likely 4. Safi has to win 2 matches in repechage to make the 3rd place bout

Reactions: hlstone
Great recap...

Let me just editorialize for a moment and say that this match is the perfect example of the frustrations I still have with UWW scoring...

A person literally did nothing/attempted nothing for six straight minutes and yet still came :04 away from winning against an opponent who actually was wrestling!
Its freestyle you get this crap all the time, (bogus shot clock stuff, very questionable scoring, dunb ass exposure points, even more idiotic par tere) yet we still have idiots who think college should go this route. The one and only thing good about freestyle that could possibly benefit folkstyle is stand them back up after a minute of riding with no turning combination implemented, without an escape point given. But that would be a freestyle rule just a idea from it.

This is one of those instances where a US wrestler raised on folkstyle did something the international wrestler was not prepared to react to because they didn't sense the danger until it was too late. You just don't see half nelsons in international competitions except every now and then from a US wrestler. Ironically, you probably see them more often on the women's side.

Want to give a big shoutout and thanks to both @zzs006 and @vhsalum for their analysis and contributions to this board during this event but for international (age group and senior) in general.

zzs, your stuff is as good if not better than the premium stuff for international wrestling people have to pay for. Putting your time and effort into it means so much.

Know you're an Iowa guy vhs but I hope I'm speaking for this board when I say we love your contributions and banter and hope you choose to be a regular.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT