ADVERTISEMENT

U20’s August 14th-20th

This is one of those instances where a US wrestler raised on folkstyle did something the international wrestler was not prepared to react to because they didn't sense the danger until it was too late. You just don't see half nelsons in international competitions except every now and then from a US wrestler. Ironically, you probably see them more often on the women's side.

A couple years ago several of the US women and maybe even DT pinned people at Worlds using a half.

Edit: Yep. This dude had no clue what hit him. Also, the ref had no clue what was happening.

Edit2: Here's the other guy DT decked.

Want to give a big shoutout and thanks to both @zzs006 and @vhsalum for their analysis and contributions to this board during this event but for international (age group and senior) in general.

zzs, your stuff is as good if not better than the premium stuff for international wrestling people have to pay for. Putting your time and effort into it means so much.

Know you're an Iowa guy vhs but I hope I'm speaking for this board when I say we love your contributions and banter and hope you choose to be a regular.
Leonardo Dicaprio Enthusiasm GIF by Jordan Belfort

Want to give a big shoutout and thanks to both @zzs006 and @vhsalum for their analysis and contributions to this board during this event but for international (age group and senior) in general.

zzs, your stuff is as good if not better than the premium stuff for international wrestling people have to pay for. Putting your time and effort into it means so much.

Know you're an Iowa guy vhs but I hope I'm speaking for this board when I say we love your contributions and banter and hope you choose to be a regular.
I second those sentiments....

zzs is doing the Lord's work with all of the amazing information he is sharing!

I am doing write-ups on the New Yorkers/NY associates (ex- Shapiro) and find myself relying on his previews more than anything USA Wrestling has released!

Its freestyle you get this crap all the time, (bogus shot clock stuff, very questionable scoring, dunb ass exposure points, even more idiotic par tere) yet we still have idiots who think college should go this route. The one and only thing good about freestyle that could possibly benefit folkstyle is stand them back up after a minute of riding with no turning combination implemented, without an escape point given. But that would be a freestyle rule just a idea from it.
LOL I already said that but the point counts for riding time and cant be erased!

The one and only thing good about freestyle that could possibly benefit folkstyle is stand them back up after a minute of riding with no turning combination implemented, without an escape point given. But that would be a freestyle rule just a idea from it.
That is definitely the only good thing about freestyle that could benefit folkstyle. No doubt.

Wait a minute ...

76d3eb100b4d256d567a1be08b2596343edd7781.gif

I’d like to point out that the score would’ve been 9-9 with Luke holding criteria, even if he hadn’t decked him.

9-5, then Luke gets 2 (TD) + 2 (exposure) to make it 9-9. So, even if the opponent slips out, unless LL gives up a reversal or 2 point exposure of his own, he wins on criteria with the last points scored, as no one had any cautions.

You are correct but I like the story he needed a fall better And I also thought Cary Kolat won his international competitions. (See other thread).

Thank you and everyone else for all the kind words. I’m glad everyone enjoyed my write ups and analysis! It made watching a bit easier and more fun for me knowing a bit about who our guys were facing. I’ll do pbp again tonight for our guys.

Yesterday went about as good as anyone could have hoped for. I think tonight looks a bit tougher but should still be able to get 1 or 2 to the finals and hopefully 4 into the semifinals. Carroll has the worst draw getting Masoumi in the second round but he should at least get pulled back into repechage.

Thank you and everyone else for all the kind words. I’m glad everyone enjoyed my write ups and analysis! It made watching a bit easier and more fun for me knowing a bit about who our guys were facing. I’ll do pbp again tonight for our guys.

Yesterday went about as good as anyone could have hoped for. I think tonight looks a bit tougher but should still be able to get 1 or 2 to the finals and hopefully 4 into the semifinals. Carroll has the worst draw getting Masoumi in the second round but he should at least get pulled back into repechage.
My personal thanks also!

Reactions: zzs006
Mesenbrink is our first guy up tonight against Marcu of Moldova. Mesenbrink should cruise through this one. And we are about to start!

Mesenbrink comes out firing and gets a Td into a lace for 2 and 2. 4-0.

Another shot and MM covers for 2. 6-0 now

Mesenbrink is nonstop motion and attacks. Marcu shoots but MM sprawls and runs around for a td and then a turn. That’s it! 10-0 in 2:10

Mesenbrink will have Garayev of AZE next. No info on him but there was no info on the AZE wrestler that met up with Shapiro and it was his toughest match. AZE is almost always a tough out

@tikk10 Im trying to use this return key you speak of

Mesenbrink is our first guy up tonight against Marcu of Moldova. Mesenbrink should cruise through this one. And we are about to start!

Mesenbrink comes out firing and gets a Td into a lace for 2 and 2. 4-0.

Another shot and MM covers for 2. 6-0 now

Mesenbrink is nonstop motion and attacks. Marcu shoots but MM sprawls and runs around for a td and then a turn. That’s it! 10-0 in 2:10

@tikk10 Im trying to use this return key you speak of
I will leave the PBP to you. Your messages were delayed on my end, so that was why I added the update on Mesenbrink. Floarena notifications not working for me . . .

Reactions: hlstone and zzs006
Finally another US guy coming up in Nic Bouzakis. Berge had a bye first round so we’ve been waiting a bit while most of the 86kg guys wrestled

Reactions: PSU_Pride_93
Just about to start. Bouzakis vs Egypt. I expect Bouzakis to win handily

EGY super long and lanky. Taking ground early. Bouzakis with a throw by into a half but only gets 2. 2-0

Arm throw attempt for EGY but Bouzakis defends and comes out on top for 2. 4-0

Into the break and it’s 4-0 for Bouzakis. Not a ton of action that first period

Bouzakis keeps pulling EGY into a front headlock but hasn’t been able to do anything with it. 2:00 remaining and still 4-0

Front headlock on the edge but EGY spins and pushes Bouzakis out for his 1st point. 4-1

1:00 left. 4-1. No real attacks from Bouzakis. Lots of handfighting but that’s about it. :30 left.

Stepout with a few seconds left. Nic defends the last little bit and that’s the match. 4-2

Not a great match but it’s a win and he moves on. Will see Rudauski representing AIN next

Last edited:
Masoumi with a 9-1 win over TUR who was probably his toughest opponent on paper
Agreed, pretty shit end of the stick for the guy from Turkey. He was the 2023 u20 European champ and drew masoumi in the qualification round

Berge coming up now on mat A against UKR

Looks like Brady Berge in the corner. 1 min in and no attacks from either guy. Lots of handfighting. Nice low level attack from Berge for 2. 2-0

UKR goes arm spin but doesn’t get it ends up running Berge out of bounds though and it’s a 1 and 1. 2-2 Berge on criteria

2-2 at the break with Berge leading on criteria. He held center well and converted his 1 good attack. Just need more of them

Berge with a step out point and he’s up 3-2. UKR slow getting back to center but he shoots off the whistle and drives Berge out. 3-3 Berge

UKR goes crotch lift for 2 but Berge locks up a cradle and almost gets the fall. 5-5 with Berge ahead on criteria. UKR with injury time but I think he’s taking a lunger

1 min remaining. UKR down on criteria but not doing anything. Berge happy to hold center. :15 left. Berge gets a Td and 2 more to seal the deal! 9-5. Tough match

Last edited:
MM up on mat 2 against AZE.

Mesenbrink immediately taking attacks and gets 2. Then a gut for 2 but gives a reversal. 4-1

MM right in on another attack but AZE defends well. Mesenbrink stays with it and converts. 6-1 1:30 in

Reshot and another Td. 8-1. His motor is something special. People can’t keep his pace.

MM does the Keegan outside step, cuts to a double and gets another Td. 10-1. Defends a shot with a cradle but just scores the Td and that’s the match. 12-1. So impressive. Kid is a beast!

Mesenbrink will wrestle Jaideep from IND next. Should be a bit tougher match

Last edited:
MM looked good. Was getting to his shots at will. That guy wasn't making another period, he was gassed.

Reactions: zzs006
Big match for the team race going on Mat C between Iran and IND. IRI up 2-0 1:50 left. Ind in on a shot with :20 left. Iran kicks out but goes out of bounds. They score it 1 and caution and 1. India ahead on criteria but Iran challenges. :16. Challenge won?! 2-0 with :16 left. Iran defends and wins. Not too sure about that one

Last edited:
Reactions: Split shot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT