ADVERTISEMENT

UWW Junior Worlds

RoarLions1

May 11, 2012
Reminder that Junior Worlds in Estonia are scheduled for early next week, August 12 through August 18.

Freestyle schedule is;

Monday, August 12: 57, 65, 70, 79, 97kg, through semi-finals

Tuesday, August 13: 61, 74, 86, 92, 125kg, through semi-finals
Tuesday, August 13: 57, 65, 70, 79, 97kg FINALS

Wednesday, August 14: 61, 74, 86, 92, 125kg FINALS

USA Team
57 kg/125.5 lbs.: Vitali Arujau, Syosset, N.Y. (Finger Lakes WC)
61 kg/134 lbs.: Gabriel Tagg, Mayfield Heights, Ohio (EAP)
65 kg/143 lbs.: Yahya Thomas, Chicago, Ill. (Wildcat WC/Chicago RTC)
70 kg/154 lbs.: Brayton Lee, Brownsburg, Ind. (Minnesota RTC)
74 kg/163 lbs.: David Carr, Canton, Ohio (Titan Mercury WC/Cyclone WC)
79 kg/174 lbs.: Aaron Brooks, Hagerstown, Md. (Titan Mercury WC/EAP)
86 kg/189 lbs.: Trent Hidlay, Lewistown, Pa. (Wolfpack WC)
92 kg/202 lbs.: Lucas Davison, Chesterton, Ind. (Wildcat WC/Chicago RTC)
97 kg/213.75 lbs.: Tanner Sloan, Alburnett, Iowa (Jackrabbit WC)
125 kg/275 lbs.: Mason Parris, Lawrenceburg, Ind. (Cliff Keen WC)

Cael will be in Aaron's corner.

Cael will be in Aaron's corner.
Thanks Roar.

With the deferment and for how long I've been rooting for him in overseas tournaments, it seems like Aaron has been with the team for years, but in reality this will be the first time (I think) he'll have a PSU coach in his corner.

having cael in arrons corner will put alot of pressure on him to win it all. if he loses one match (it won't happen) hr will have proof that he can't coach and his recruiting is suspect, right#turk

Great article. What a fantastic attitude he has about the upcoming season. Good luck Aaron!

Nice article on Aaron Brooks at THIS LINK. The article includes some tidbits on what has happened to him in the past year, as well as his plans for the coming year.

Did Aaron spill some beans when he said "Cael said I could be a Nat. Champ at 174 or 184 and I told him I didn't want to go 174...put someone else there". He then proceeded to talk about 184 & Shak and whether he will get to wrestle-off with him. So...talking about this year it seems. So.....isn't there already someone at 174 this year? Hmmm

Reactions: danoftw and Grass
Did Aaron spill some beans when he said "Cael said I could be a Nat. Champ at 174 or 184 and I told him I didn't want to go 174...put someone else there". He then proceeded to talk about 184 & Shak and whether he will get to wrestle-off with him. So...talking about this year it seems. So.....isn't there already someone at 174 this year? Hmmm
The words you put in quotation marks are not the quote from the article. Did Aaron text you and give you the more exciting quote that you posted? :)

"(Penn State coach Cael Sanderson) told me they believe I could win at any weight class this year, 174 or 184," Brooks said. "But I told Coach I wouldn't want to get down to 174, so put someone else in there. And at 184, (All-American Shakur Rasheed, a sixth-year senior) is back. I don't know if they're going to make us wrestle off or ask me to redshirt or see what I want to do.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Anyone know why Aaron isn’t in these team photos? Is he also the team photographer?

Anyone know why Aaron isn’t in these team photos? Is he also the team photographer?

He's there. Kind of.

oAnIfnv.jpg

"(Penn State coach Cael Sanderson) told me they believe I could win at any weight class this year, 174 or 184," Brooks said. "But I told Coach I wouldn't want to get down to 174, so put someone else in there. And at 184, (All-American Shakur Rasheed, a sixth-year senior) is back. I don't know if they're going to make us wrestle off or ask me to redshirt or see what I want to do.

One takeaway is that Cael's comment seems to test the waters re: 174. This comment makes no sense whatsoever unless Mark is committed to an Oly redshirt.

To be honest I don't see Mark winning the spot this go around, but if that is what he desires I am sure Cael will leave the choice to him.

Having Brooks wrestle off for 184 vs Shak is a bit of head scratcher to be honest. Shak should be top 4, and Brooks would have to walk away from his Olympic asperations, which does not sound like his plan.

Maybe just maybe, Mark, Brooks and Spencer Lee wrestle collegiately all year and then train for a month freestyle and make the team, but realistically I think only Lee has a shot at that path (and his chances are pretty decent).

I remain pretty convinced that the transition to free takes a couple of years and aside from Lee, we won't see Mark, Brooks, even Bo or Nolf wrestle for Gold this go around - unfortunately.

Without Mark or Brooks in the lineup I really think we see one of the following two scenarios:
1). VJ moves up to 174 and Manville gets the nod at 165
2) VJ stays at 165 and Manville and Starocci wrestle off for 174
Assuming of course Manville doesn't take his own Oly RS.
In either case, Shak goes uncontested at 184

Any conspicuous absences from the roster for our first match may speak volumes. Injury aside if we see a lineup short Mark and Mason we might infer why (Oly RS), but as important, if either RBY or Nick are also missing I think a quasi punt year is in the offering. IMO - With Yanni gone I think Nick will go full force for a NC, but RBY, a RS will put him squarely in the conversation for a NC in 2021 and beyond? Likewise, the team will be locked and loaded for the next multi year run.

One thing is for certain anyone who thinks they can predict this coming year's starting lineup should either buy a lotto ticket or go back and down another Iron City.

In fact I think that would be an awesome contest for the board in the coming 2-3 months. Each member gets to submit one lineup for who we field for either the Iowa dual or maybe Big Tens. That would be fun, I wonder how many different permutations we would come up with?

Last edited:
Brooks got no favors in the draw on the UWW site. First round (bottom half) he gets the rep from Azerbaijan, next round most likely the rep from Russia and then probably the Japanese rep. Clear those three then you are in the semi's. If/when he medals on Tuesday he will have earned it. Best of luck, looking forward to watching it.

First round vs. Abubakr Abakarov - lost to Mekhi Lewis in 74kg final last year UWW juniors.
In the article linked above it said that Brooks lost to the AZE guy at a tournament in Russia earlier this year 10-0 and really wants that rematch. Seems like the top 2 guys are meeting in the first round. Very reminiscent of last year's 86kg with Taylor and we all know how that turned out.

Last edited:
this azerbaijani guy is so tall, about half a head taller than AB, but just at thick.

not a lot of action from AZE in the first period. brooks leads 1-0 at the break on a shot clock point. AZE with the takedown early in the 2nd, AB down 1-2. AB grabs an arm and hits the headlock! up 3-2, but AZE gets the reversal, 3-3 and AZE has criteria. another takedown for AZE, AB down 3-5 with about 30 seconds left. a couple of shots from AB but can't convert at time runs out.

AB showed a lot of heart and looked great. hopefully he gets pulled into repechage, but it looked like he took a lot of energy out of the european junior champ.

Reactions: hlstone
this azerbaijani guy is so tall, about half a head taller than AB, but just at thick.

not a lot of action from AZE in the first period. brooks leads 1-0 at the break on a shot clock point. AZE with the takedown early in the 2nd, AB down 1-2. AB grabs an arm and hits the headlock! up 3-2, but AZE gets the reversal, 3-3 and AZE has criteria. another takedown for AZE, AB down 3-5 with about 30 seconds left. a couple of shots from AB but can't convert at time runs out.

AB showed a lot of heart and looked great. hopefully he gets pulled into repechage, but it looked like he took a lot of energy out of the european junior champ.

Biggest thing I saw was just how strong the Azeri was. Was able to get to a leg and finish several times, very impressive. He's probably have Russia soon- if he wins that Brooks should be pulled back.

Biggest thing I saw was just how strong the Azeri was. Was able to get to a leg and finish several times, very impressive. He's probably have Russia soon- if he wins that Brooks should be pulled back.

azeri lost to the russian. i missed the first period but it looked like the azeri didn't really start trying until the last minute. he got to a leg a couple times but could only get push outs. the russian then got a push out of his own with 3.7 seconds left. azeri challenged that they were grounded and lost, so the russian won 5-3 and AB is out :(

Thanks for the support guys! Aaron is fine. These junior trips have 1 day acclimate time. Sunday was the only full day. The international experience is priceless, but winning in those conditions on that time zone is tough. Cadets and Juniors is all practice for senior level. Good experience and no injuries. Now on to 86kg and hopefully the Bill Ferral and US Open. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming. Lol

Didn't see the match but the result reminds me of how repechage has been particularly bad for Zain, where he's gotten a tough draw for his first match, wrestled well but lost a close one, then that guy has nothing left (because he just wrestled Zain, who goes all-out the full six minutes) and loses a half hour later. It's happened a few times now.

Encouraged that Aaron wrestled his guy close that he'd lost to big last time out.

Last edited:
Didn't see the match but the result reminds me of how repechage has been particularly bad for Zain, where he's gotten a tough draw for his first match, wrestled well but lost a close one, then that guy has nothing left (because he just wrestled Zain, who goes all-out the full six minutes) and loses a half hour later. It's happened a few times now.

Encouraged that Aaron wrestled his guy close that he'd lost to big last time out.
Russian who won lost to AZE this year on a controversial call .That match is always close not sure Aaron had anything to do with that.

Reactions: tikk10
Thanks for the support guys! Aaron is fine. These junior trips have 1 day acclimate time. Sunday was the only full day. The international experience is priceless, but winning in those conditions on that time zone is tough. Cadets and Juniors is all practice for senior level. Good experience and no injuries. Now on to 86kg and hopefully the Bill Ferral and US Open. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming. Lol
Wow, the one day acclimation is crazy. These guys are wrestling the best in the world when their bodies think they should be sleeping.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
one day acclimation doesn't even allow time to for the mind and body to adjust. wow

Positive attitude from John (not surprising, btw) a predictor for the apple-not-falling-far-from-the-tree, and the positive attitude that Aaron has. Met the elder Brooks at Whispers, and the younger at several matches, where Aaron took the time to talk candidly. Must say, no question the PSU program is getting a great young man, along the same lines of other greats we've been blessed with recently. Excited for the next four or five years.

The World Championships were a great experience...disappointment aside, the wrestler has to come out the other side of the loss with continued improvement in mind. Turn the loss into a positive.

It’s just great a experience. Aaron’s weakness’s are strengths of the coaching staff. In due time these close matches won’t be. We are sending kids to wrestle men on short turnaround in a hostile environment. They will be better senior athletes from all this. Aaron has a long way to go and he will put the work in to get there. I’m enjoying the ride and I hope you all will too.

It’s just great a experience. Aaron’s weakness’s are strengths of the coaching staff. In due time these close matches won’t be. We are sending kids to wrestle men on short turnaround in a hostile environment. They will be better senior athletes from all this. Aaron has a long way to go and he will put the work in to get there. I’m enjoying the ride and I hope you all will too.
Thanks for the update John. I'm already looking forward to the 'ride' (really staying on ride for 4 -5 more years and hopefully longer!)

The rumor I’ve heard from my never reliable source is that Hall (and RBY) definitely plans to RS this year.
My crystal ball has Cenzo at 74, AB at 84, Conel at 97, and Raptor at heavy.

I can put up with all the wacky calls in freestyle but the fact that World Championship tournaments don't have adequate wrestlebacks or seeding is just plain stupid. International wrestling seems to do everything in its power to make sure the sport doesn't grow :-(

The rumor I’ve heard from my never reliable source is that Hall (and RBY) definitely plans to RS this year.
My crystal ball has Cenzo at 74, AB at 84, Conel at 97, and Raptor at heavy.
I haven't had the time to ask anybody anything lately, so I know nothing of Mr. Hall's ORS plans. However, I have heard several times from as far back as right after nationals that RBY was almost certainly taking a redshirt this year. The RBY source is pretty freaking reliable, but after being told Pat Glory was coming to PSU no matter what 2 days prior to announcing he was going to Princeton I take anything I hear with a grain of salt.

Reactions: danoftw
Synonym: "Two words that mean the same thing" In the PSU wrestling dictionary WIN and NATIONAL CHAMPION are synonyms :)

As BO said: "We Come To Penn State to "WINATIONALCHAMPIONSHIPS"....I believe that is a direct quote as I heard it. Did I hear correctly? Me thinks yes :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT