ADVERTISEMENT

UWW Junior Worlds

The rumor I’ve heard from my never reliable source is that Hall (and RBY) definitely plans to RS this year.
My crystal ball has Cenzo at 74, AB at 84, Conel at 97, and Raptor at heavy.

It seems Hall taking an Oly is gaining steam. I think an RBY RS also makes a lot sense from both the team future and his personal skills development (a la Zain's RS year gains ) POVs.

Those two aside, I think Shak at 184 is pretty much a no brainier not to mention Brooks has Oly asperations, that only seem real if he trains FS full time all year. I am itching to see him kick butt in blue and white but I think we will have to wait another year dang it.

Without Hall and RBY in the lineup, I think we are still a top 3 team for sure, but barring injuries on either side, a dual with a fully healthy Hawkeye team will be interesting. They will run out to a big lead and then we chip away only to finish with VJ (yes he moves up), Shak, Conel, Cassar - even if down 12-15 points we would be within reach.

Anyone see similarities to the tOSU dual 2 years ago? :)

It’s just great a experience. Aaron’s weakness’s are strengths of the coaching staff. In due time these close matches won’t be. We are sending kids to wrestle men on short turnaround in a hostile environment. They will be better senior athletes from all this. Aaron has a long way to go and he will put the work in to get there. I’m enjoying the ride and I hope you all will too.
Appreciate both your support and love of your son just as much as his wrestling skill. Penn State is blessed to have Aaron and your family on board............

Just curious, are you basing that on anything other than this one post from gray52

Yes, there are several examples within the past two weeks that go well beyond me just speculating.

How about Cael telling Aaron Brooks he could win a NC next year at either 174 or 185. Seems like a silly proposition unless he was querying to see if he was up to a year long tough cut to fill a critical vacancy. If Mark is not at risk of an Oly, that part of the conversation seems a bit ludicrous. Not that much different from someone telling Cassar he could win one in 2020 at 197 or Heavy. Likely achievable but there is no sense in talking 197 at all unless there were an underlying reason.

Another is Flo stating so on their pod cast last week, almost casually as if it is a foregone conclusion. There was some doubt but they say "something they have heard a lot" FLR 392 40 minutes in.

My official take is as much as I love PSU wrestling and bleed blue and white I am committed to the reality that most guys need 2-3 years full time dedicate to training free to have a chance at a world or Olympic medal.

So in this case Mark, Aarron and Nolf are huge long shots at best especially considering who is in our US Nationals team room. I may be hated but think even with another year committed to nothing but Freestyle they won't make it. And this is coming from someone who's favorite all time is Nolf.

Zain is there but Yanni is friggin Yanni and may be the Gumby exception to the 2+ year rule and Bo is Bo, he might make the strides in the next year to close the gap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski
Yes, there are several examples within the past two weeks that go well beyond me just speculating.

How about Cael telling Aaron Brooks he could win a NC next year at either 174 or 185. Seems like a silly proposition unless he was querying to see if he was up to a year long tough cut to fill a critical vacancy. If Mark is not at risk of an Oly, that part of the conversation seems a bit ludicrous. Not that much different from someone telling Cassar he could win one in 2020 at 197 or Heavy. Likely achievable but there is no sense in talking 197 at all unless there were an underlying reason.

Another is Flo stating so on their pod cast last week, almost casually as if it is a foregone conclusion.
thanks, I hadn't seen anything until that one post.
And I won't ever tell a wrestler what to do, but a Hall ORS just doesn't make any sense to me with the '20 weight classes
Just seems better to me to finish college this year and have 4 years to prepare for '24

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
How about Cael telling Aaron Brooks he could win a NC next year at either 174 or 185.
The article provides no context about when Cael said that.

Also no context about Cael's reasons for saying it. If this were Cael way of getting his wrestler to talk about comfort levels at different weights, it wouldn't be the first time.

thanks, I hadn't seen anything until that one post.
And I won't ever tell a wrestler what to do, but a Hall ORS just doesn't make any sense to me with the '20 weight classes
Just seems better to me to finish college this year and have 4 years to prepare for '24

I agree, but Oly windows can be short and he has been dreaming of this for at least a decade. It was somewhat assumed back when we recruited him.

It is good times for our national team for sure - unbelievable talent top to bottom and it is a crime they reduced the number of weight classes. There will be a number of world medalists who will not even get a shot at an Olympic medal because they won't make their respective teams Russian, Iranian and US. I look for Mark to peak for 2024 along with the rest of our guys, but this time around it's some pretty tough going.

Also no context about Cael's reasons for saying it. If this were Cael way of getting his wrestler to talk about comfort levels at different weights, it wouldn't be the first time.

Maybe you need to go back to reading comprehension class. The article was from 4 days ago, and the context is clearly centered on this coming season.

Unless there is at least a chance Mark is taking RS any reference to 174 makes less sense than most of your replies. Does " I wouldn't want to get down to 174, so put someone else in there" give any context?

"(Penn State coach Cael Sanderson) told me they believe I could win at any weight class this year, 174 or 184," Brooks said. "But I told Coach I wouldn't want to get down to 174, so put someone else in there. And at 184, (All-American Shakur Rasheed, a sixth-year senior) is back. I don't know if they're going to make us wrestle off or ask me to redshirt or see what I want to do.

"I'm cool with either one. If I redshirt, I'll focus on the 2020 trials in April. If I wrestle freshman year at Penn State, it should be fun."

As a side note - virtually 100% of your responses to my posts are "Fife's". There is a reason why Sherrif Andy only lets you carry only one bullet. You have two feet.

Anyway for those that might have missed it here you go. I can't wait to see this kid wreak havoc.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.he...d26328de-ba40-11e9-a7f8-2f7f146139c1.amp.html

Yeah, my reading of that quote wasn't that Cael was implying anything about Hall but rather about Brooks' capabilities generally. Hall may well take an Olympic shirt next year but it's a reach to see Brooks' quote as evidence of that.

Reactions: slushhead
Maybe you need to go back to reading comprehension class. The article was from 4 days ago, and the context is clearly centered on this coming season.

Unless there is at least a chance Mark is taking RS any reference to 174 makes less sense than most of your replies. Does " I wouldn't want to get down to 174, so put someone else in there" give any context?

"(Penn State coach Cael Sanderson) told me they believe I could win at any weight class this year, 174 or 184," Brooks said. "But I told Coach I wouldn't want to get down to 174, so put someone else in there. And at 184, (All-American Shakur Rasheed, a sixth-year senior) is back. I don't know if they're going to make us wrestle off or ask me to redshirt or see what I want to do.

"I'm cool with either one. If I redshirt, I'll focus on the 2020 trials in April. If I wrestle freshman year at Penn State, it should be fun."

As a side note - virtually 100% of your responses to my posts are "Fife's". There is a reason why Sherrif Andy only lets you carry only one bullet. You have two feet.

Anyway for those that might have missed it here you go. I can't wait to see this kid wreak havoc.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.he...d26328de-ba40-11e9-a7f8-2f7f146139c1.amp.html
Just because the article is 4 days old does not mean Cael said it 4 days ago. He could have said it 4 weeks or 4 months ago. We don't know.

And, yes it's about 2020 -- but is it about Mark Hall or about Aaron Brooks?

That context matters if it's to be evidence that Mark Hall's potential Olympic redshirt is gaining steam. Whatever that means. How exactly does that gain steam anyway?

That context matters if it's to be evidence that Mark Hall's potential Olympic redshirt is gaining steam. Whatever that means. How exactly does that gain steam anyway?

Yeah, blue shirts seem more common in that context.

006_PETEFREDRICKSON.jpg

Yeah, my reading of that quote wasn't that Cael was implying anything about Hall but rather about Brooks' capabilities generally. Hall may well take an Olympic shirt next year but it's a reach to see Brooks' quote as evidence of that.

Just because the article is 4 days old does not mean Cael said it 4 days ago. He could have said it 4 weeks or 4 months ago. We don't know.

And, yes it's about 2020 -- but is it about Mark Hall or about Aaron Brooks?

It's Cael-speak, IMO. Has nothing to do with Hall and 100% to do with making AB believe he can do anything to which he commits.

BS - Brooksc probably win 197 next year too why leave that out?

The bottom line is there are rumors out there not started on this board, that is pretty much what we discuss in the off season, so to imply I/we are just pulling Mark 'possibly' shirting out of our ass is incorrect.

Last edited:
It's Cael-speak, IMO. Has nothing to do with Hall and 100% to do with making AB believe he can do anything to which he commits.
That was my take as well. Certainly just as credible as interpreting the statement may be related to Mark Hall's plans in 2019-20. Bottom line is that only a couple people know the real intent/meaning of the statement, and those folks aren't gonna explain it.

BS - Brookscould probably win 197 next year too why leave that out?

The bottom line is there are rumors out there not started on this board, that is pretty much what we discuss in the of season, so to imply I/we are just pulling Mark 'possibly' shirting out of our ass is incorrect.

Well, you've been pumping the White Flag in 2020 bit for over 8 months, now. On multiple boards.

In the early going, your hypothesis was contingent on Shak and V-Raptor not getting 6th years. But they got them, and you are sticking to the White Flag bit nonetheless.

I'm not sure why it is so important to you to be right about it, but I have a hunch . . .

This reminds me of the Q story that went something like: Cael would walk around the room saying "Quentin Wright 2011 NCAA Champion."

The best way to believe in yourself is to know that someone else believes in you.

Reactions: Dogwelder
BS - Brookscould probably win 197 next year too why leave that out?

The bottom line is there are rumors out there not started on this board, that is pretty much what we discuss in the of season, so to imply I/we are just pulling Mark 'possibly' shirting out of our ass is incorrect.
Even if you were right, that Cael did imply Hall's status to Brooks, your flat rejection of a perfectly plausible interpretation as "BS" is further evidence of why it's not worth the effort of taking you seriously.

I heard he's not.

FWIW -not sure it proves anything, and assuming he is one and the same, from the student directory

Directory entry for Matthew B Parker
Name:
Matthew B Parker
E-mail: mbp5603@psu.edu
Mail ID: mbp5603@psu.edu
Title: Sport Camp Counselor/Coach
Administrative Area: Athl Rec Serv & Support
Department: Sport Camps
Campus: University Park
Curriculum: Telecommunications(BA)

I haven't been this excited about a redshirt freshman since Jake Varner. He has many of his dad's gifts along with such a strong background in technique. I hope holding 157 works out ok this year.
Me too--you guys don't have NC State on the Schedule do you? I wanna see Carr vs. Hidlay many times.

Has there been any that didnt?
I dunno, the Cutlass Supreme I had in college was rather lackluster.... ;)

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Me too--you guys don't have NC State on the Schedule do you? I wanna see Carr vs. Hidlay many times.

I dunno, the Cutlass Supreme I had in college was rather lackluster.... ;)

Hidlay better hope he beats him this year, Carr is jumping levels FAST.

Yep. Both Carr and Sasso were on my get list back in the day, and both are set to have very sweet careers. Ok so I am greedy, if only not for the 9.9

Yep. Both Carr and Sasso were on my get list back in the day, and both are set to have very sweet careers. Ok so I am greedy, if only not for the 9.9

I’m pretty sure Carr was on every list. Kid is elite and every program in the country would have loved to get him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT