ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling: Penn State vs. Iowa Match Thread

Congrats on the win. Lot's of good wrestling out there tonight. Dean and Kerk can ride when they want to. Impressive showing
We’re fans, had no impact on the wrestling. Murin was most impressive for Iowa, didn’t think he had a chance but took all the action and controlled the match start to finish. I was wrong there. RBY most impressive for Penn St but not up until he pinned Teske. Vespa with a courageous start, that’s how you wrestle for Cael.

Trying to be strictly analytical here, but I think that Iowa executed their game plan pretty well. They got the big points where they expected to get them and did their best to keep the matches close where Penn State was heavily favored. Consequently, they made the dual competitive even though most people would agree that Penn State has a lot more horsepower.

Keep in mind that the wrestling strategy you would use in a dual isn’t necessarily the best strategy for a tournament. Things may go differently for any PSU vs Iowa matchups in March.

Also, woods sure has perfected the ankle ride like RBY and CStar. Iowa fans shouldn’t bitch so much when one of their best does it as well
I didn't notice Woods gassing as advertised by various posters throughout the week. He seemed aggressive start to finish. Was really hoping Beau would be able to put him under pressure in the 3rd.

All in all, I was fully prepared for this to be an uncomfortably tight dual, and it was (for me). Should come as little surprise that the 2 titans of the sport come to win every time. There's a reason there's only been 1 true blowout victory between these teams during the Cael era, and that happened way back in 2010.

wow - what a match. Iowa is #2 and tough and they showed that. Their studs scored and the rest wrestled close with good tie ups and few real shots. However, their base D kept our guys from scoring as well. Thus, the feel was noted and I don't predict some of the same scores going forward. I think Kennedy might be the only real upset but that is a 60-40. If you're playing base D and are good, you're not going to have a lot of scoring or offense on display. type of favorite. The rest of the 60-40's panned out IMO. My Summ:
- as you expect, everyone called it but it didn't happen and that could have been a big point. Wonder if Vespa is wrestling going forward?
- RBY - Brody did a good job of tie-ups but a savy Sr knows how to score. I thought this was huge at the time
- BB - Real Woods experience and length were a problem for BB. Still think he will get better. He couldn't clear the tie's at all. I had this 60-40 for Woods going in
- SVN - i thought SVN would pull this out but the shots (few) from Murin showed his experience and saviness.... I think SVN gets him next time and I would bet on it. I had Murin 60-40 based on experience and he is tough any way you look at it
- I thought Levi was 60-40 and it was correct. I think future matches won't be as close
- Facundo - I wanted him to pull this out but he'll need to figure out some angles/openings and keep the one shot from Kennedy from scoring.
- Star - yea, I thought he would get to his TDs but that was nothing but DDDDDD from Brands - won't be a close next time IMO
- Brooks - the de-facto great wrestler. Wish he would have worked harder for a fall - seemed he was looking for only a few things
- Dean. Surprised by the match, not necessarily the outcome. 60-40 in our favor here.
- Kerk - I thought there would be 3-4 TDs. He needed to get another by the end of the 1st. Great ride out.. like how he applied pressure and jumped sides

Again - I think we won all the 60-40 matches we were favored in and Iowa did the same except for Facundo. Some would argue that differently.
Iowa came to extend the match and prioritize base D on their feet. Woods was the only one really committing to shots and total TDs showed that. Gotta feel great for RBY - you all should go get some pizza now!

Clear as day what happened.

Teske did not shoot for 6:50 of his match. Teske finally shot, and RBY stuck him with a cradle.

Tommy & Terry told the rest of their kids who were overmatched or coin flips, don't bother ever taking a shot.
Just tie up, hand fight, square up & put everyone to sleep.
What a garbage style of wrestling.

Teske did not shoot for 6:50 of his match. Teske finally shot, and RBY stuck him with a cradle.

Tommy & Terry told the rest of their kids who were overmatched or coin flips, don't bother ever taking a shot.
Bartlett, Van Ness, Haines and Facundo sure didn’t look like they were doing much either. Not disagreeing on the boring style but it went both ways tonight.

Candidly, not super shocked by Beau. Had a feeling he would be hesitant against Woods.

Disappointed a bit with Van Ness and Facundo, think the pressure might have gotten to them a bit. At least Facundo didn't get taken down technically lol (though damn was he close)

Reactions: jmadden1998
Candidly, not super shocked by Beau. Had a feeling he would be hesitant against Woods.

Disappointed a bit with Van Ness and Facundo, think the pressure might have gotten to them a bit. At least Facundo didn't get taken down technically lol (though damn was he close)
No idea how he got out of that cradle. That was some elite defense. Kennedy had a couple chances during regulation but Facundo is so tough to score on.

Didn't come off great on TV for me because of the type of wrestling. If the casual fan tuned in i don't think they would have thought this was a fun watch given the slow start and sometimes finish for a majority of the matches.
I was texting with my brother throughout the match and commented after 174 that if I wasn't a PSU fan I would've switched over to something on Netflix. That was some pretty unsatisfying wrestling, but I fully realize we're spoiled, and I'll gladly take this outcome over a loss.

Welcome
No idea how he got out of that cradle. That was some elite defense. Kennedy had a couple chances during regulation but Facundo is so tough to score on.
you talking about Lee or Facundo? Because they were both dead to rights in a cradle. Only Facundo didn’t give up a two though. He’s good. And the guy Fucundo was wrestling wasn’t wrestling their first match. Like it was with Lee against Vespa. Only Lee gave up the Two when cradled. Was taken down and Vespa was given 2. Vespa is a first time starter. Who wasn’t ranked.

that match went exactly how i predicted except facundo never gave himself a chance to steal it late. pretty surprised we didn’t see that duck again.

Reactions: Rocky_Smith
Dual was very tight and went close to what I expected. Thought psu would win 6 of 10 but was wrong on Facundo losing and Kerk winning. Would’ve liked to see some more offense from Bartlett, SVN, Facundo and Cstar.

Warner and Dean is always going to be razor close.

Great win by Kerk. I wasn’t super confident despite the all star match results.

I didn’t think CStar would major but thought he’d atleast be able to get a takedown. I know Nelson doesn’t get bonused but I saw Carter dismantle Hayden Hidley.

If Vespa stuck that cradle the roof would’ve came off.

Welcome

you talking about Lee or Facundo? Because they were both dead to rights in a cradle. Only Facundo didn’t give up a two though. He’s good. And the guy Fucundo was wrestling wasn’t wrestling their first match. Like it was with Lee against Vespa. Only Lee gave up the Two when cradled. Was taken down and Vespa was given 2. Vespa is a first time starter. Who wasn’t ranked.

Vespa was 1-8 overall in his career going into this match with the win being against a D3 guy 3 years ago. He has wrestled 3 matches this year and ironically Lee is the only guy that didn't pin him. If he hits that cradle, I don't think there would have been an upset equally as shocking in history.

Vespa was 1-8 overall in his career going into this match with the win being against a D3 guy 3 years ago. He has wrestled 3 matches this year and ironically Lee is the only guy that didn't pin him. If he hits that cradle, I don't think there would have been an upset equally as shocking in history.
Of any sport.

The cradle was hit. 2.

Reactions: Ski

Only problem is that type of shit "dual" wrestling isn't going to do squat for them at Nationals. Anyone who watched Brands chicken-shit routine and thinks he's some kind of threat to do squat at Nationals don't know squat about real wrestling.

I didn't notice Woods gassing as advertised by various posters throughout the week. He seemed aggressive start to finish. Was really hoping Beau would be able to put him under pressure in the 3rd.

All in all, I was fully prepared for this to be an uncomfortably tight dual, and it was (for me). Should come as little surprise that the 2 titans of the sport come to win every time. There's a reason there's only been 1 true blowout victory between these teams during the Cael era, and that happened way back in 2010.
Wood’s definitely didn’t gas but I put that mainly on BB. He has the superior gas tank but to use it you have to put pressure on and create scrambles. BB didn’t take a single shot the first 2 periods. You can get someone tired just handfighting but to really use stamina as a weapon you have make your opponent work through positions. That is what makes DT so good. His first couple matches against Yazdani are prime examples. He attacked and made Yazdani defend and scramble and completely wore his ass out. I think BB, SVN, and Facundo all have that ability but they have to create action and get into positions where their opponent has wrestle through positions and by the 3rd period their attacks should start to get home

Not sure if it was garbage style, certainly low on scoring

141, 149, 157, 165, 174, 197 -- even in the matches PSU won, it was really hard to score takedowns vs Hawkeye wrestlers

Gotta be a major point of emphasis for Cael and the staff before tournament time -- how to break thru that type of defense

Not bagging on you.

I just like writing it. Vespa cradled Lee. On national tv, in font of everyone

Vespa and Kuhn were both this close to never having to buy a beer ever again if a PSU fan is around. They still have great stories to tell their grandkids -- just have to leave out the endings. I'd buy them a beer anyway just to hear them tell it.

I'm mainly a consumer of this forum's content but I want to thank the Iowa guys who provide the rivalry banter included in many topics. It creates a good back and forth debate/insults that we wouldn't otherwise have among similar PSU fans. Thanks Jmadden, JS and SStark and the Wild Turk tonight for being here to support your Hawkeyes.

I have only read a few post. Second match I was at this year. Iowa and Lehigh. Second match I saw numerous Penn State wrestlers struggle scoring from there feet as the aggressor. Beau,Shayne and Alex have to learn to create offense from their feet. With Iowa being so good with their hands , a leg attack has to be in arsenal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT