ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Wrestling Session 6 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

Haven’t run the numbers but if true it’s just crazy. This was a quote I just saw over on HR

“Stop and let this sink in… We could’ve had Suriano at 125 instead of DA, Yianni at 149 instead of Murin and Steveson at HWT instead of big Tony….

And we still would not have won the team title.”
Where were we on criteria? Did we win the finals as a team?

Lol calm down, I meant "sneaky" escape because watching it live, it seemed like Warner thought the action was going out of bounds and then Dean slipped out anyway. It broke Warner's strategy.

I'm not saying Warner deserved to win, Dean definitely did. Quit taking offense and finding things to fight about and just enjoy the victory(ies) lol
I'm not a Warner fan by any stretch but the kid earned his spot in the finals. He had a great tournament no doubt. Reminds me of Bartlett if they let it fly they could really do some damage they just don't

JHC, can't wait to see Carter next year when he's healthy ;)

I'm glad Carter threw shade on the way Lewis wrestled (constantly backing up and wrestling the edge). Just absurd that Lewis was only dinged for 1 "stall warning" and no penalty points after wrestling like that for almost 8 minutes of Neutral wrestling including the 2 minute SV1 - just absurd the way most Folk matches are called and this type of bullshit Neutral wrestling is permitted to go on for some 8 minutes without penalty points! It's terrible for the sport and is not "wrestling" as defined in rulebook.

Last edited:
2023:
125: Howard 5th 10 points
133: Bravo-Young 1st 24.5 points
141: Bartlett 5th 10 points
149: Van Ness 3rd 14.5 points
157: Haines 1st 22 points
165: Facundo 7th 6.5 points
174: Starocci 1st 23.5 points
184: Brooks 1st 22 points
197: Dean 1st 22 points
HWT: Kerkvliet 1st 23 points

Penn State 1st 178 points

All the after win interviews are great, but Roman's was particularly interesting because he really sounds open to coming back, but also even more interesting is his real passion to try out freestyle before 2024, which is when he will go full time MMA under Cruz. I see Roman being great in FS, especially if that's all he focuses on.

I'm glad Carter threw shade on the way Lewis wrestled (constantly backing up and wrestling the edge). Just absurd that Lewis was only dinged for 1 "stall warning" and no penalty points after wrestling like that for almost 8 minutes of Neutral wrestling including the 2 minute SV1 - just absurd the way most Folk matches are called and this type of bullshit Neutral wrestling is permitted to go on for some 8 minutes! It's terrible for the sport and is not "wrestling" as defined in rulebook.
Please desrcibe the wrestling rulebook as you interpret it....in detail......AGAIN. NOW please. I'm on my 4th Voodo Ranger IPA 9%. I can print it out and have something to P*ss on :) 5/5 BABY!

Just a glimpse into the Hawkeye wrestling philosophy...many fans on HR were upset at Warner for actually taking ONE SHOT vs Dean. Their preference was for him to not shoot the entire time. Hilarious stuff.
They're not wrong.

The other thing to think about is in 2018/Cleveland and 2022/Detroit PSU beat two of the best assembeled teams in their home state for a Natty. Tanning Bed U and Meat Chicken. And beat them in Dual meets. That Cael guy is like fine wine and coaches better with age. We are blessed!

I often think of the recruiting story article of Carter saying Cael was pushing fried cauliflower or something like that in front of him, lol
Corn dogs.

They had dinner during Carter's recruitment. Carter was in a tourney and was 2 lb over the next morning's weigh-ins. Cael tested Carter's discipline by ordering a basket of corn dogs and repeatedly pushing them on him. "You sure you don't want to try one?"

Talk about torture!

But Carter stood firm.

He passed the test.

Corn dogs.

They had dinner during Carter's recruitment. Carter was in a tourney and was 2 lb over the next morning's weigh-ins. Cael tested Carter's discipline by ordering a basket of corn dogs and repeatedly pushing them on him. "You sure you don't want to try one?"

Talk about torture!

But Carter stood firm.

He passed the test.
that’s it. thanks!!

Reactions: danoftw
penn_state_2022_wrestling_ncaa_national_champions_t_shirt_grey_nittany_lions_psu_p10340.jpg
She goes to Minnesota?
Found it genius take that Minnesota Michigan iowa and asu!!

Last edited:
Reactions: dsites52
I still remember after Carter lost a couple of very low scoring freestyle matches....Willie ....while still at FLO.....said watch out for Starocci.....he will be a stud. He got some pushback from others but he sure as heck was right on that call. Frightening.....and delightful that he keeps getting better.

pretty clear both guys’ strategy was to to not attack and win on a counter. warner blinked first. give him credit though. had a hell of a tournament and was the aggressor in his loss.

He was the aggressor? LMAO. I guess bullshit head and face swipes (the Ref repeatedly warned him) counts as "aggression". [Insert eyeroll]

Reactions: Ski and IndyLion1
pretty clear both guys’ strategy was to to not attack and win on a counter. warner blinked first. give him credit though. had a hell of a tournament and was the aggressor in his loss.
To be as unbiased as I can be, it was a boring ******** match by both Dean & Warner - the worst snoozefest of the night. Neither was trying to create an opening or angle.

I'm just glad our kid won.

Warner is a solid wrestler & seems like a fantastic, likeable, humble young man. Wish him all the best moving forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT