ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Wrestling Session 6 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

51948908876_db945c06ac_3k.jpg

That photo will end up framed and hanging in a couple of the Dean's households. What an awesome picture!

Wow, you and CJF need to lighten up regarding the ESPN guys. Overall they were fine, and PSU just went 5 for 5. Enjoy it.
At the end, in their closing they never mentioned the five wins. Even with the graphic of the five winners on the entire screen, and the director in their ear telling them it graphic is up....they never mentioned the success. It seemed purposeful.

An observation and a factoid from the 174 finals match:

- Mekhi showed some grown ass man strength on Carter for that first takedown. Sheesh.

- Carter and the HC of Virginia Tech, Tony Robie, have the same hometown of Erie, PA. Going one step further, Carter’s older brother Chris wrestled for the same HS Tony did in Strong Vincent. Obviously they were years apart, but still a neat tidbit nonetheless.
Anyone else notice Lewis’s Dad class act of embracing Carter after his win?

At the end, in their closing they never mentioned the five wins. Even with the graphic of the five winners on the entire screen, and the director in their ear telling them it graphic is up....they never mentioned the success. It seemed purposeful.
Mike Couzens opened the closing by saying that Penn State won their 10th championship and went 5 for 5 in the finals. I know I would have loved Gibbons and DC to continue the Penn State talk but that would not have been good for overall wrestling promotion.

Reactions: Fatmarc

I thought excuses were for wusses? And in the fall from classless Iowa fans booing injured PSU players that "injuries are part of the game"??? Hhhhmmmm....., why do Iowa fans strike me as classless, whiny, insecure, hypocritical douchebags.

I thought excuses were for wusses? And in the fall from classless Iowa fans booing injured PSU players that "injuries are part of the game"??? Hhhhmmmm....., why do Iowa fans strike me as classless, whiny, insecure, hypocritical douchebags.
Back around 2014 or 15 I was always pimpin the idea over on HR that Cael was in the middle of making State College area the absolute center of wrestling in the United States. Me and other fans were laughed off their boards when we laid out Caels exact plan for how he was going to achieve that. We said first, he was gonna build the premier college program in the country. Second, he was going to build the absolute best RTC and club. And third, his athletes would then spread across the country getting into coaching and building their clubs.

This is exactly what’s happened and they absolutely can’t stand it.

State College is the Mecca of Wrestling in the USA!

How can you not love wrestling
I really don’t understand how any top recruits who watch this tournament and listens to the wrestlers talk end up going anywhere else. Seriously, it doesn’t make sense. Penn State has proven year after year that if you want to be the best wrestler and person you can be you absolutely have to come there.
Maybe the biggest reason is the Coaching staff has a type of guy they are looking for. Some of these top guys may not fit the mindset, style and character traits they are seeking out to be a part of the program. The results on and off the mat speak volumes.

Advice from 247 board:

“Friendly reminder for everyone to watch or download all the content/matches on youtube now, before Flo gets their grummy hands on all of it and gets everything taken down on the basis of their bs “third tier” media rights claim in order to stash everything “in their archives” behind a paywall.”
Especially the folks who merge videos with Byers calls ... trying to remember exactly who that was -- @Annieat285 maybe?

I was about to post something very similar. Some other factors may be proximity to home, scholarship money available, being a legacy or having a Freshman GOAT like Starocci at your preferred weight. However, if those things are not a factor and you are a truly elite wrestler looking to maximize your talents and win titles, gold medals and world championships, it’s incredibly obvious there is only one choice right now.

WE ARE!!!
Some recruits think our practices are too much fun, not tough enough.

They do well with the hand they're dealt.

Back around 2014 or 15 I was always pimpin the idea over on HR that Cael was in the middle of making State College area the absolute center of wrestling in the United States. Me and other fans were laughed off their boards when we laid out Caels exact plan for how he was going to achieve that. We said first, he was gonna build the premier college program in the country. Second, he was going to build the absolute best RTC and club. And third, his athletes would then spread across the country getting into coaching and building their clubs.

Well Cael left his alma mater, ISU, because he knew that Pennsylvania produces the most premier wrestlers by a country mile and if he could get only a fraction of them to stay in-state and go to PSU, he'd be able to accomplish the things you listed. Cael stated this exact thing as to why he took the PSU job to leave his Alma Mater (i.e., there were things that he would never be able to accomplish at ISU that he could accomplish at PSU due to it's location) at his initial Press Conference introducing him as PSU's new Head Coach in the Spring 2009. Iowa idiot's ridiculed his statements (especially that Pennsylvania was the epicenter of US Wrestling Greatness) - looks like their laughter has turned to tears. LMAO

How can you not love wrestling

Maybe the biggest reason is the Coaching staff has a type of guy they are looking for. Some of these top guys may not fit the mindset, style and character traits they are seeking out to be a part of the program. The results on and off the mat speak volumes.
^^this^^
There is a type of kid and characteristics that Cael is looking for. If you look at our guys, there’s a lot of different personality types but they all are respectful, gracious, all the good stuff.

Also personality away from the room. Our guys seem to be going to bible studies, where guys from the midwest might find themselves wanting to go to the redneck yacht club
Some guys from Baltimore might head straight from practice to Cafe 210, and maybe two or three other spots before getting home.

Or maybe they might just (cough cough) blaze a trail to their apartments.

The other great thing -- though it doesn't appear in the photo:

How quickly Carter got up on the stage to celebrate with Max. He was right there patting Max on the back and head while Max was hugging Casey, before Max got to Cael.
If I lose my recording like I do every single time I’m gonna be pissed. It’s these little things I miss the first time and why I keep the recording in my dvr as long as possible. Throughout the year watching it over and over again you always spot something new. It’s a great tool to help get you to the next season.

Mt. Olympus!

What happened to Billy Baldwin this year? Not a single word about Binghamton.
Thank God! I don't think I could handle more of his and Quint's 80s Long Island Wrestling stories! Although he was apparently good friends with PSU great Greg Elinsky. Baldwin must be dying! That NCAA was his only paid gig for the year!

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Well Cael left his alma mater, ISU, because he knew that Pennsylvania produces the most premier wrestlers by a country mile and if he could get only a fraction of them to stay in-state and go to PSU, he'd be able to accomplish the things you listed. Cael stated this exact thing as to why he took the PSU job to leave his Alma Mater (i.e., there were things that he would never be able to accomplish at ISU that he could accomplish at PSU due to it's location) at his initial Press Conference introducing him as PSU's new Head Coach in the Spring 2009. Iowa idiot's ridiculed his statements (especially that Pennsylvania was the epicenter of US Wrestling Greatness) - looks like their laughter has turned to tears. LMAO
Some folks will point out that Penn State only had two PA guys in its starting lineup this year (although I still claim 3 - the Lee’s moved to State College a year before Nick enrolled :)).

Such pontification ignores the importance of a strong wrestling room of committed and skilled wrestling partners helping the starter become a national champion.

Penn State’s practice room is an abundance of PA state placers (who would been state champs in other states) and a few from our strong wrestling neighboring states of NY and (especially) NJ. The importance of a strong practice room cannot be overstated.

Last edited:
Some folks will point out that Penn State only had one PA guy in its starting lineup this year (although I still claim 2 - the Lee’s moved to State College a year before Nick enrolled).

Such pontification ignores the importance of a strong wrestling room of committed and skilled wrestling partners helping the starter become a national champion.

Penn State’s practice room is an abundance of PA state placers (who would been state champs in other states) and a few from our strong wrestling neighboring states of NY and (especially) NJ. The importance of a strong practice room cannot be overstated.

How many PA wrestlers did Cael have in his 1st National Championship Team??? Cael has now produced 32 Individual National Champions at PSU - care to tell me how many hailed from PA?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT