ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Wrestling Session 6 - 2022 NCAA Championships Results and Discussion thread

pretty clear both guys’ strategy was to to not attack and win on a counter. warner blinked first. give him credit though. had a hell of a tournament and was the aggressor in his loss.
I didn't think either of them were aggressors tonight (well, maybe if compared to Schultz) , but otherwise this is spot on.

51948908876_db945c06ac_3k.jpg

Haven’t run the numbers but if true it’s just crazy. This was a quote I just saw over on HR

“Stop and let this sink in… We could’ve had Suriano at 125 instead of DA, Yianni at 149 instead of Murin and Steveson at HWT instead of big Tony….

And we still would not have won the team title.”
Yeah, and we could have had Suriano at 125 and should have had Wick at 165. And if 🐖's could fly. Love their tears.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitlion6
Yeah, and we could have had Suriano at 125 and should have had Wick at 165. Love their tears.
Maybe misread what was said there. He was saying that Iowa could have had Suriano, Yanni and Gable on their team and PSU would have still won the title. To me that’s quite a compliment to what PSU just did this weekend.

Decided to take a backseat last night and today and just browse multiple boards instead of just posting here. I can honestly say I think along with the best team in the country we have the best fan base. There are disagreements for sure, but never at the level I have witnessed on other boards, mostly during and after the finals. I know there are genuine posters on those boards, and a few can give the entire group a bad name, but wow.

I have no idea how they do it, but Cael and Co get their guys to kick it up a notch come Friday afternoon. For the past 10 or so years, it hasn’t mattered what happened during the dual season, big tens, or on Thursdays. When Friday hits, I’m not sure how anyone can bet against a lion. We went 5-6 in the semis, with the lone loss coming against arguably the best heavyweight ever. Today, while apparently injured, Greg goes out and beats Parris again to help the team. Then tonight, 5-5 in the finals.

To me, the biggest recruiting tools out there are results and relationships. The former speaks for itself, and everyone is different on the latter. However the way the kids speak of the staff tells me everyone buys in to the team/family atmosphere and they basically consider Cael their hero.

RBY - I thought this was gonna be his last tournament, now that may be in doubt. I really hope he comes back for a shot at 3 since he said he would wrestle through 2024. If he doesn’t, I wish him nothing but success in freestyle until he starts fighting. He’s been one of the most exciting and athletic wrestlers I’ve witnessed.

Lee - Ends his folkstyle career in typical dominating fashion. He has a hell of a freestyle career ahead of him, and hopefully stays in the room to help guys like SVN and BB.

Star - The kid just won an NCAA title, beating a past champion, with a broken hand. He improved every time he stepped on the mat. If he continues on this path, he will be extremely scary. Lofty goals and the attitude to achieve them. Glad he’s back for a few more years.

Brooks - Brilliant match. A lot of people would have been either extremely nervous, or have an adrenaline dump wrestling someone for a title who they just lost to. Calm, cool, collected, and a great strategy. Said he plans to take the summer off to be with family and heal up. Sometimes taking some time off can be more beneficial than training year round. Looking forward to seeing it pay off.

Dean - Probably the one I’ve been most critical of this year. I think I remember saying he relied too much on his top game and it scared me if he didn’t get the bow and arrow he wouldn’t win close matches. I’ll have my crow to go please. Super pumped for the kid after the transfer and going through a few controversial matches. Glad to have him back as well.

Kerk - Ran into the one guy we didn’t wanna see until the finals. But you could tell Gable gave him probably more respect than any other kid he wrestled this year. Did it have something to do with friendship? Maybe, but I think a lot had to do with Kerk’s ability. Kerk has all the makings of a champ and I think he could be the odds on favorite if healthy next year.

Overall a great team effort. I know Drew, BB, Brady, and even Kerk did not have the tournament they wanted. But they were all a critical part of the team’s success. The old saying is true; one day at a time, one match at a time. If the guys waiting in the wings use all the resources they are provided, they will all achieve big things. They just have to take it one day at a time, and get 1% better every day. Kobe Bryant once said something a long the lines of, if I practice 2 hours a day longer than the next guy, after one week, I’m 14 hours better than he is (obviously not an exact quote but you get it).

Hope everyone’s off-season serves them well, and the countdown to next season has begun.

We Are the 2022 National Champions!

An observation and a factoid from the 174 finals match:

- Mekhi showed some grown ass man strength on Carter for that first takedown. Sheesh.

- Carter and the HC of Virginia Tech, Tony Robie, have the same hometown of Erie, PA. Going one step further, Carter’s older brother Chris wrestled for the same HS Tony did in Strong Vincent. Obviously they were years apart, but still a neat tidbit nonetheless.

Advice from 247 board:

“Friendly reminder for everyone to watch or download all the content/matches on youtube now, before Flo gets their grummy hands on all of it and gets everything taken down on the basis of their bs “third tier” media rights claim in order to stash everything “in their archives” behind a paywall.”

I really don’t understand how any top recruits who watch this tournament and listens to the wrestlers talk end up going anywhere else. Seriously, it doesn’t make sense. Penn State has proven year after year that if you want to be the best wrestler and person you can be you absolutely have to come there.

I really don’t understand how any top recruits who watch this tournament and listens to the wrestlers talk end up going anywhere else. Seriously, it doesn’t make sense. Penn State has proven year after year that if you want to be the best wrestler and person you can be you absolutely have to come there.
Especially a guy as locationally and stylistically compatible as Shapiro. Slick, technical middleweight from a few hours drive away.

I agree with this sentiment. But I think some athletes are wired differently and are drawn to a team where they can be the top dog or biggest star rather than sharing the spotlight with other stars. (Suriano?) Others may view themselves as "market disrupters" who want to go to an underdog and help build/re-build that team to be competitive with the Penn States of the world. (Spencer Lee?) Still others might be drawn to a sentimental childhood favorite team. (Real Woods?)

I'm not saying those are their only or even primary motivations, but I suspect they play a factor in the decision making for some.

Those are a few of many reasons to go somewhere else…and pretty much all of them are positive reasons.

edit: go see ADS in post #9 of Hats off to the Hawkeyes thread. There’s one. :)

Last edited:
Just want to wish the travelers to Cael Rock City, all safe pathways home.

today is the relax and remembrance day.

Tomorrow we chop wood and carry water

An offseason check list from the board will be forthcoming. Things like the schedule release timing, future bobblehead giveaways, freestyle tournament dates, transfer lists, projected lineups will all be noted.

In addition this year, well also be planning a board retreat. Early contenders are greenland, aruba and the @82bordeaux estate.

The chef will need recipes for the board retreat so get your BBQ and cooking recipes ready.

In all serious, it is a pleasure to log on and banter with you all. Yes even you @lonewolfe. Its f**, its entertaining and its an escape at times.

I appreciate you all and cant wait to watch from afar as Cael leads us on to #11 and a run of Back to Back to Back to Back........

#inCaelweTrust
#WeARE
#ItsaGreattimetobeANittanyLionFan

He was the aggressor? LMAO. I guess bullshit head and face swipes (the Ref repeatedly warned him) counts as "aggression". [Insert eyeroll]
well neither was “aggressive” but warner took the only committed attack of the match so if you have to pick one it’s him.

Reactions: sstark46
I was about to post something very similar. Some other factors may be proximity to home, scholarship money available, being a legacy or having a Freshman GOAT like Starocci at your preferred weight. However, if those things are not a factor and you are a truly elite wrestler looking to maximize your talents and win titles, gold medals and world championships, it’s incredibly obvious there is only one choice right now.

WE ARE!!!

Reactions: zzs006 and danoftw
I didn't think either of them were aggressors tonight (well, maybe if compared to Schultz) , but otherwise this is spot on.

well neither was “aggressive” but warner took the only committed attack of the match so if you have to pick one it’s him.
LOL one shot is not being the agressor and it cost him Dean was way more agressive in trying TD.

I was about to post something very similar. Some other factors may be proximity to home, scholarship money available, being a legacy or having a Freshman GOAT like Starocci at your preferred weight. However, if those things are not a factor and you are a truly elite wrestler looking to maximize your talents and win titles, gold medals and world championships, it’s incredibly obvious there is only one choice right now.

WE ARE!!!
well 3 reasons first for some reason iowa history which has nothing to do with wrestling now days 2 they want to start and might not at PSU and 3 they dont like being champs first place yada yada yada

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT