ADVERTISEMENT

Film Study - PSU D vs. Illinois

PSU D vs ILL FILM STUDY

See Link. Focused more on stuff that will be tested later in the season vs. OSU and Michigan (coverage/handling run fits) instead of just cycling through all the turnovers and splash plays. Illinois probably has the most diverse run scheme of any team in the Big Ten (note: most diverse run game as far as they throw the kitchen sink at you...not necessarily the best run scheme) so it was encouraging to see PSU handle it for the most part -- Illinois had 29 carries for 62 yards.

Explaining the universe

So there are massive filaments of dark matter crisscrossing the universe. Where they cross each other are areas called nodes where galaxies are formed. Some nodes have clusters of thousands of galaxies.

Some nodes grow quicker than others. Seems that dark energy at some nodes suppress growth.

At least, that’s what I think this means…..

Reactions: jimarnp

Give IL some credit....

Bielema's defense was exactly the kind of thing I expected -- keep an extra man at the LOS, jam the run, pressure the QB, make Allar uncomfortable and force him to release early. And their DL and LBers look good, especially #4 who had the game of his life. Young Mr. Allar now knows what it's like to play against a Big Ten defense and he'll get another taste next week.

Yurcich's response was to be very patient and try not to put Allar in positions where he was going to get hit in the pocket or throw INTs. So they didn't attempt slow-developing patterns and punted a lot. They would have punted a bit less if not for some stupid penalties and 2 easy dropped passes from McLain (who I didn't see in the game after the 2nd one).

Throwing to the backs worked really well and I was wondering why Yurcich didn't use it for most of the game, but it was probably that he didn't want to risk IL safeties or corners recognizing the play and jumping the route. They went to it again late when they really needed a drive.

Defensively, the middle seems a little soft. If Bielema wanted to try 9 OL running the ball, that might have worked again today against this D. But PSU does make up for its lack of strength in the middle with mobility and energy. They play hard and as soon as you end up in a 2nd and long, this defense is tough because there are so many good pass rushers and a secondary that can flat out play. For PSU to still have corners like this after the corners they've graduated the last two years -- secondary coaches are just killing it.

Anyway the announcers made a couple of good points. 1) PSU fans have to be wondering if this team is built to stand up to Michigan and Ohio State. That remains an unanswered question. 2) The PSU defense has tradeoffs. They are a high risk/high reward D and they do kind of fall apart at times and give up quick scores. But they are always entertaining.

Rewatching Illinois game, perfect storm of bad...

Just incredible that this game wasn't a blowout...

-Warren 1st quarter ez td but he tripped at the 2
-2nd down same drive Allen drops to pass
-3 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, one of which was a literally 10 to 14 points swing in 2nd quarter
Franklin unloads bench late in 3rd quarter up 30-7.
-5 drops by receivers, every one was a first down cost.
-No Tre Wallace, the equivalent of no Egbuka for osu or no Wilson for Michigan.

About 5 or 6 other things that I didn't even mention....time to close the book on that game because it might end up being the worst played game of the year by Penn State...on to this week and the white out.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT