ADVERTISEMENT

157 / 165

Dodger was Steve Sax.

-oYadXNNA1FO56AMKgIQNvAPbF-56iYvc0WpbA0GdN29ufE4dXc_2oh84x_SVcuLeh2TDTu0-sGYXkxMbDXgDci3BadbCK8V6sNmK7BcndGlffsVP6OveK31t9QHsMkG-SmAKnPX
Thanks. He went from an All-Star to a guy who couldn't throw the ball 50 ft. Very Bizarre.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Yips? Remember Steve Blass and the 'Steve Blass Disease'? Very sad, he went from Ace to non-competitive and done in a near instant. I knew him and he was a really fine man. He showed up at my highschool selling class rings for Jostens and it really tug at my heart.

yea, his parents lived down the street from my uncle in Falls Village (Conn.) and I got a ton of '71 Pirate memorabilia.

Ludicrous or not, he did it twice.
Again, this is my point. Joe has repeatedly wrestled at an elite level. He's also repeatedly wrestled far below his capabilities. Austin Bethel never placed at the state tournament. Joe Lee was a dominant fargo champ. The idea that it wasn't a huge upset is ridiculous.

Idk why anybody would deny he's inconsistent. Did you watch him this year? Tons of ability. Just needs to put it together.

Again, this is my point. Joe has repeatedly wrestled at an elite level. He's also repeatedly wrestled far below his capabilities. Austin Bethel never placed at the state tournament. Joe Lee was a dominant fargo champ. The idea that it wasn't a huge upset is ridiculous.

Idk why anybody would deny he's inconsistent. Did you watch him this year? Tons of ability. Just needs to put it together.

We're splitting hairs here despite you trying to put words in my mouth. It was an upset, but the year before he did the same to Brayton Lee, who was wrestling on a similar level as Joe. At what point, when a guy does it more than once is it so huge? It was an upset, but not one of epic proportions.

What you seem to be missing in this argument is you are taking performances over the span of 3-4 years, vs. what happened in a covid shortened season. Never has Joe been this inconsistent or I could say lackluster in such a short span of time. It's one thing to see a few losses over a few years, while wrestling a ton of matches in many tournaments all over the place (which most even elite HS wrestlers have) vs. this year's performance. It's really a pretty large difference. My argument with you isn't that he hasn't had a slip up or two along the way, but that what he has done in the past has not been close to his struggles this year. If you don't agree, fine. But I see a big difference, not "he's always been this way".

174 will be deep and brutal. 125 will have a lot of good kids but only few really high ends kids after lee. Still hard for a true freshman to score points but would all depend on steens improvement thru the season. Joe lee i believe, if healthy, will do very well.

As much as i hate to say it iowa will need a total meltdown to loss the championship. Bringing back the same team that scored 130 points, plus they very likely score more. But Cael does work magic.

174 will be deep and brutal. 125 will have a lot of good kids but only few really high ends kids after lee. Still hard for a true freshman to score points but would all depend on steens improvement thru the season. Joe lee i believe, if healthy, will do very well.
165 next year, let's move Mekhi and Shane out to 174 (though Shane isn't confirmed I don't think)
Returning AA's: Wentzel, O'Toole, Wittlake, Hartman, Valencia, Amine (I moved Smith out since it looks like Kharchla is their guy)
Then throw in Bull and Wick? This isn't even accounting for Kharchla who looked like a potential contender even out of the gate. It's a pretty tough weight in itself also.

That being said last year was weird three of the AA's got MFFs in their placing match (Hartman, Wittlake and Amine)

Reactions: Bondist
How tall is Aaron? Carr is taller than him it looks like!
Yep. Carr definitely looks taller. From this photo, I don't know how the "Aaron to 97" discussion was even possible. Size-wise, It doesn't even look like Aaron is that much bigger either. Aaron must have big bone inside of him instead perhaps?

We're splitting hairs here despite you trying to put words in my mouth. It was an upset, but the year before he did the same to Brayton Lee, who was wrestling on a similar level as Joe. At what point, when a guy does it more than once is it so huge? It was an upset, but not one of epic proportions.

What you seem to be missing in this argument is you are taking performances over the span of 3-4 years, vs. what happened in a covid shortened season. Never has Joe been this inconsistent or I could say lackluster in such a short span of time. It's one thing to see a few losses over a few years, while wrestling a ton of matches in many tournaments all over the place (which most even elite HS wrestlers have) vs. this year's performance. It's really a pretty large difference. My argument with you isn't that he hasn't had a slip up or two along the way, but that what he has done in the past has not been close to his struggles this year. If you don't agree, fine. But I see a big difference, not "he's always been this way".
But he has been this inconsistent. That's my point. Going back to high school, one day he'll tech Shane Griffith, the next he'll lose to Austin Bethel. One day he'll destroy David Carr. Next time, Carr is in complete control.

The only difference is that this is the first year he's had consistent, big ten level competition that was able to expose that inconsistency.

Also not sure how I put words in your mouth. You said it wasn't a major upset. It was. Pretty simple.

At some point it's time to stop trying to define a wrestler by his HS career and take a closer look at what he's doing now.

Joe lost 7 of his last 10 matches. Is that indicative of a kid who is inconsistent, or a kid who is just not as good as we thought he was?

I'm not an expert, just a fan, but it seems the 'fix' will be more than a just few tweaks. Starting with baseline defense, getting off the bottom and wrestling smarter, Joe needs to come back a different wrestler before there is any hope of reaching the podium.

He is certainly at the right place for this to happen, but like Cael often says, "it's up to him".

At some point it's time to stop trying to define a wrestler by his HS career and take a closer look at what he's doing now.

Joe lost 7 of his last 10 matches. Is that indicative of a kid who is inconsistent, or a kid who is just not as good as we thought he was?

I'm not an expert, just a fan, but it seems the 'fix' will be more than a just few tweaks. Starting with baseline defense, getting off the bottom and wrestling smarter, Joe needs to come back a different wrestler before there is any hope of reaching the podium.

He is certainly at the right place for this to happen, but like Cael often says, "it's up to him".
Joe has a lot to work on. Bottom wrestling, yes. Wrestling smarter/cleaner, yes. Defense, yes. All true.

But Joe is not as bad as he showed last year. He came out slow from the shut down and I think that knee injury was way more serious than we'll ever know.

Joe has a lot to work on. Bottom wrestling, yes. Wrestling smarter/cleaner, yes. Defense, yes. All true.

But Joe is not as bad as he showed last year. He came out slow from the shut down and I think that knee injury was way more serious than we'll ever know.
Joe makes too many dumb decisions on the mat, he also thinks he is stronger than he is. Joe needs to be a different type of wrestler. What he did last year did not work at all. Possibly his knee injury created desperation on his part?

Reactions: Ski

Well said. Everyone had to deal with Covid equally, and in the end after you strip away all opinion, woulda, coulda, shoulda; a wrestler is what his record says he is. 3-7 is a very poor most recent record by PSU standards.

Joe has a LOT of work to do. Period, end of story.

He has talent, he is in the best room in the country with the best coaching staff. Everyone above him in the rankings is working extremely hard to get better as well.

Do I think he can be an AA in 2021/22, yes I do, but given the evidence, and the competition it's an uphill climb for sure.

Joe makes too many dumb decisions on the mat, he also thinks he is stronger than he is. Joe needs to be a different type of wrestler. What he did last year did not work at all. Possibly his knee injury created desperation on his part?
The interesting thing is that we had other injured wrestlers (Kerkvliet, namely) who wrestled substantially better competition who did not consistently make questionable decisions during matches.

Kerkvliet held the #1 wrestler in the country to the tightest match he had all season, despite giving up 30lbs+, a lot of strength and a massive amount of conditioning. Scored the only TD on Steveson all season, IIRC. While he appeared outclassed at times, he never made any terrible decisions.

As much as i hate to say it iowa will need a total meltdown to loss the championship. Bringing back the same team that scored 130 points, plus they very likely score more. But Cael does work magic.
I think it will be amazing if iowas team stays intact for the entire season way to early to tell I'm still picking the good guys to win it all in compression shorts lol

Yep. Carr definitely looks taller. From this photo, I don't know how the "Aaron to 97" discussion was even possible. Size-wise, It doesn't even look like Aaron is that much bigger either. Aaron must have big bone inside of him instead perhaps?
The point is brooks is moving to 157 lol

I
Well said. Everyone had to deal with Covid equally, and in the end after you strip away all opinion, woulda, coulda, shoulda; a wrestler is what his record says he is. 3-7 is a very poor most recent record by PSU standards.

Joe has a LOT of work to do. Period, end of story.

He has talent, he is in the best room in the country with the best coaching staff. Everyone above him in the rankings is working extremely hard to get better as well.

Do I think he can be an AA in 2021/22, yes I do, but given the evidence, and the competition it's an uphill climb for sure.
I think when a wrestler comes out kicking ass then the following year he falls off to 3-7 is indicative of an injury not that he is bad. He didn't lose talent and his opponents didn't improve that much. It's pretty simple his injury had more of an impact then we knew

According to Willie/Corby, sounds like Joe Lee is headed down to 157 next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT