ADVERTISEMENT

2018 NCAAs -- Session 6 Thread

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
I'm setting this up in advance, but will be around for the Session. Just a reminder -- for several years I've had a tradition of providing PBP during all/most of the Sessions, but I don't provide PBP for the finals. I sit back, watch, enjoy, and make comments like a fan.

We talk PSU wrestling 24x7x365, but the finals of Nationals is the apex. Hopefully, most of you will emulate the PSU wrestlers, and have fun in this thread!

please use this thread to discuss the matches of PSU wrestlers, matches of interest by other wrestlers, etc. If responding to a post, please use the Quote function.

Time:
8 pm EDT

TV:
ESPN2

Video Streams:
I believe that ESPN3 will be streaming the video of the finals.

Audio Stream:
Byers's radio PBP will be streamed for free, starting at 7:40 pm EDT, at the below link:

http://www.gopsusports.com/collegesportslive/?media=573248

Following Team Scores:
They are provided on the Penn State Wrestling Club's web site, on TrackWrestling, and scroll periodically atop the ESPN TV coverage

Team Score Entering The Finals:
The team competition has come down to PSU and tOSU. Current scoring, and (maximum potential) scoring, are as follows:

1. Ohio State - 130.5 (142.5)
2. PSU - 124.5 (154.5)
3. Iowa - 93 (99)
4. Michigan - 80 (92)
5. NC State - 76 (88)
6. Missouri - 61.5 (61.5)
7. Nebraska - 47 (47)
8. Cornell - 44 (50)
9. Rutgers - 42.5 (48.5)
10. Arizona St. - 39 (45)
11. So. Dakota St. - 38 (44)
12. Illinois - 37.5 (43.5)
12. Oklahoma St. - 37.5 (37.5)
14. Lehigh - 36.5 (36.5)
15. Lock Haven - 35 (41)

Finals Matches for PSU Wrestlers:
149 - ZPain vs. Ronald Perry (Lock Haven)
157: Nolf vs. Hayden Hidlay (NC State)
165: Joseph vs. Isaiah Martinez (Illinois)
174: Hall vs. Zahid Valencia (Arizona State)
184: Nickal vs. Myles Martin (Ohio State)

We Are ...

- looking forward to 10 interesting finals
- hopeful that our five finalists can win their matches
- expecting to see The Pennsylvania State University wrestling team defend their NCAA title

... Penn State!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it looks like the Nickal vs Martin match is the key to the title.

A win by Zain and Nickal means no worse than a tie score. Any bonus point tips the scale in our favor.

No?

A win by Zain and Nickal means no worse than a tie score. Any bonus point tips the scale in our favor.

No?

Correct on Nickal vs Martin being the likely key. But regular decision wins by only Zain and Nickal only puts us up by 2. If Snyder wins, OSU wins by 2.

Reactions: Lyons212

No?

If that win by Zain is a pin, then yes.

A few facts pulled from THIS FloWrestling article (lots of good stats I didn't post):

SemiFinalists By State:
PA - 9
OH - 9
NJ - 5
MI - 4
CA - 2
MO - 2

Finalists By State:
PA - 6
NJ - 2
CA - 2
MI - 2
8 with 1, but OH not 1 of them

All Americans By State:
PA - 15
OH - 11
NJ - 8
CA - 5
MI - 5
IN - 4
MN - 4
NY - 4
OK - 4
IA - 3
MO - 3
OR - 2
No other state with more than 1

Don't see a bad or boring finals matchup; could we actually have a finals with no snoozers?
Maybe they've already announced which weight class will start things off tonight but leading off at 197 would be the way to go if they want to build maximum drama. The possibility would exist for a PSU/OSU match-up to determine the team championship.

So the idiot that I am, I canceled my cable earlier this month. I have been streaming the matches on ESPN3. Does anyone know if they will continue to broadcast the championship online? Thanks in advance! Go State!!!

I am about 99% positive you can stream it also,

Yep, just checked, scheduled on my watchespn app

So the idiot that I am, I canceled my cable earlier this month. I have been streaming the matches on ESPN3. Does anyone know if they will continue to broadcast the championship online? Thanks in advance! Go State!!!

Reactions: Ruby Tues

It appears that:
- they have a show @ 7:30 pm EDT titled "2018 NCAA Wrestling Championships Off The Mat (Championship)
- they have a show @ 11:00 pm EDT titled "2018 NCAA Wrestling Championship - Trophy Presentation"

I'm not sure if the 7:30 show is just the Parade of Champions, or if it continues on and shows the matches.

Reactions: Ruby Tues
Heading into the Finals, most points scored:

1. Spencer Lee - 23.00
2. Zain Retherford - 21.00
3. Nathan Tomasello - 20.50
4. Nick Suriano - 20.50
5. Mark Hall - 20.50
6. Seth Gross - 20.00
6. Zahid Valencia - 20.00
6. Michael Macchiavello - 20.00
9. Stevan Micic - 19.00
9. Jared Haught - 19.00
9. Adam Coon - 19.00
9. Jason Nolf - 19.00
13. Isaiah Martinez - 18.50
13. Evan Wick - 18.50
13. Myles Martin - 18.50
13. Kyle Conel - 18.50
13. Kyle Snyder - 18.50
18. Ethan Lizak - 18.00
18. Yianni Diakomihalis - 18.00
18. Hayden Hidlay - 18.00

Reactions: kevin310
what about a Lee pin? Tech, Tech, pin, pin, pin

I believe you're looking at things from the perspective of the Outstanding Wrestler of the Tournament. Lee certainly is a contender for that.

The Most Dominant Award is a season-long award. As SHP's tweet indicates, ZPain has pretty much locked that up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT