ADVERTISEMENT

2019 PSU WVB Thread

PSU women's volleyball makes a big deal about their alumni weekend. It took place this weekend. They were celebrating PSU's 1st national championship team (1999), and 12 members of the team returned for the event. Below is a clip from their championship set.

And a bit of a reminder of why we enjoy this program -- something that BTN tweeted out:

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
PSU women's volleyball makes a big deal about their alumni weekend. It took place this weekend. They were celebrating PSU's 1st national championship team (1999), and 12 members of the team returned for the event. Below is a clip from their championship set.

Ran into a few of them at the Adam's Apple after the game. They can still party like 20 years ago too.

Who could have envisioned the day when the Pitt women's volleyball team would be ranked ahead of Penn State and have the same number of first place votes (1) as Stanford?
From what I have seen they are a very good team, but not of Championship caliber. They have a fairly easy run through the ACC, and may get a high seed at tournament time, but I don't see them getting past the regional semifinals. Time will tell.

Who could have envisioned the day when the Pitt women's volleyball team would be ranked ahead of Penn State and have the same number of first place votes (1) as Stanford?
From what I have seen they are a very good team, but not of Championship caliber. They have a fairly easy run through the ACC, and may get a high seed at tournament time, but I don't see them getting past the regional semifinals. Time will tell.

Well, their sweep at Rec Hall two weekends ago is something that not even the best teams in WVB are able to pull off very often and the rematch two days later that PSU won was as even a match as there could be.

That said, there are a lot of good and very good teams this year. But you need to be good or very good AND be lucky. Time will tell if Pitt has luck on their side. (Luck = getting a borderline call.....getting a break on a net ball.....avoiding key injuries.)

After seeing them in practice scrimmage against PSU in spring, I thought a few things about Rec Hall match: (1) Pitt has a very strong opposite and middle hitter; (2) Pitt played out of their mind that night; (3) every break - tape shots/serves, tips, calls, etc - went their way; and (4) PSU was off. I think both teams moved toward the mean in the Piit home matchup.

But no excuses: championship teams don’t have off nights, and Pitt is good - relatively new coach doing great job - but I think our schedule will lead to better team development and tournament success.

Last edited:
Reactions: fairgambit
Well, their sweep at Rec Hall two weekends ago is something that not even the best teams in WVB are able to pull off very often and the rematch two days later that PSU won was as even a match as there could be.

That said, there are a lot of good and very good teams this year. But you need to be good or very good AND be lucky. Time will tell if Pitt has luck on their side. (Luck = getting a borderline call.....getting a break on a net ball.....avoiding key injuries.)

Pitt has been playing loose. They had no pressure playing us as even Pitt fans I know expected them to lose. They will not get a serious test in the ACC unless it comes from Florida State. I hope I'm wrong and we meet up with them again in a Regional Semifinal, or Final. I like our chances.

Reactions: flash86

Well, based on those two matches Pitt is better than us so I guess you don't see us as having ANY chance of getting past the regional semis. Just saying.

It's because Pitt's volleyball team plays better than they actually are.

Well, based on those two matches Pitt is better than us so I guess you don't see us as having ANY chance of getting past the regional semis. Just saying.
I did not make myself clear. We will be challenged in our conference schedule and have the opportunity to improve. I expect us to be a much better team at tournament time. Pitt will face light opposition in conference. Improvement will be more difficult for them. Beyond that, this program has been tested yearly in the NCAA tournament and knows what it takes to make a deep run. Pitt has never advanced beyond the 2nd round. They may surprise me and get to the final four, but I still think they won't make it past the regional semi-finals.

Reactions: TheGLOV and flash86
PSU went up 21-20 in the 2nd set, but ended up losing the set, 23-25. Match is tied up, 1-1

I don’t normally post here, and don’t want to come across as a whiner. However, watching on BTN, the announcer seems to have more excitement in her voice when Wisky does well. Maybe it’s just my imagination.

OL

Reactions: TheGLOV
PSU kind of fell apart in the 4th set, and lose 13-25. As such, they lose the match, 1-3. Wisky has some talent, but not a great showing by PSU.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I don’t normally post here, and don’t want to come across as a whiner. However, watching on BTN, the announcer seems to have more excitement in her voice when Wisky does well. Maybe it’s just my imagination.

OL

It's your Penn State/BWI DNA. Apparently you can't be a poster here without complaining about how all the TV announcers and officials have it in for PSU. :rolleyes:

BTW - you do realize that one of the announcers was the Nittany Lion legendary great Salima Rockwell, don't you? I seriously doubt either her or her broadcast partner were going to be rooting for the Badgers.

Reactions: PSU&Trout
Isn't Salima Rockwell one of the announcers?

BTW - you do realize that one of the announcers was the Nittany Lion legendary great Salima Rockwell, don't you? I seriously doubt either her or her broadcast partner were going to be rooting for the Badgers.

To answer both of you, no, I did not know who the announcers were. That doesn’t change my mind that, IMO, the play-by-play announcer showed more excitement when positive play by Wisconsin.

OL

I agree about the announcer, but that doesn't bother me -

I would tend to give a lot of credit to the Wisconsin coaching staff and players for the drastic turnaround in the match. Kelly Sheffield is another pretty darned good volleyball coach in the conference.

Parker had an outstanding set 1 and the emphasis went to the middle hitters in set 2. I thought Wiscy was on the brink of collapse when the ladies had the 5 point lead at 17 - 12, but for some reason, they let Wiscy back into the set.

Volleyball is a funny sport. Once things turn sour, the momentum really builds against your efforts. It just seemed that from that 17-12 advantage, everything that the PSU ladies did turned to $hi&. They looked like a 15 year old club team at times

They will struggle in conference - that's not necessarily a bad thing because it is a competition. Nebraska, Minnesota, and Illinois are all top flight teams along with the Boilers. The next level down will make everybody work for a victory - look how close Iowa came last night vs. Minnesota None of these teams will go through the conference schedule unscathed.

I will trust Russ.

The lack of outside hitters is going to hold this team back. Last year, Reed was the only outside that could dominate a game at times. With her gone, there are no dominant OHs on the team, thus the middles have been getting fed a lot more this year. Russ will get the full potential out of this team, but most likely it is going to bow out of the NCAA tournament in the round of 16. A great finish might get them into the round of 8.

Reactions: flash86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT