ADVERTISEMENT

2021 NCAAs Session 6 (Finals) Thread

This is Penn State wresting on Saturday night every year...
giphy.gif

Agree, wasn't the best look, but not much time to process a lot of emotions. Feels bad for his teammates who lost, particularly Kemerer. He did not get bonus, maybe that cost him the Hodge. He has a recently torn ACL and the Olympic trials in a month (getting a NCAA title might have cost him a shot at an Olympic team birth).
All very plausible. Plus, he's been in the Iowa program for 4 seasons now. That alone must take a heavy mental and psychological toll. ;)

I was kinda thinking that if Eierman and Kemerer won titles, they might be less likely to return next year.
Do they really want this grind again.
My guess is that they are back next year. Olympic cycle begins next year, wrestle another year of folkstyle and then concentrate on freestyle.

Lots of decisions to be made in wrestling rooms across the country. Go to a RTC and get paid to wrestle or stay in college and pay to wrestle? Have to think the college season is more of a grind physically and mentally than training/wrestling freestyle.

Reactions: Fatmarc
By all accounts, Lee is a good kid. But how hard is it to be magnanimous in victory?
Like Bo Nickal?

Seriously, some of these wrestling interviews are among the worst in sports because the guy has just stepped off the mat and is still amped up and breathing hard. If the guys (Lee in this case) had 5 minutes to chill and decompress, the interview might well have been very different.

WRT Spencer's interview, I wonder how much pressure he is under at Iowa to win no matter what. Maybe he wanted to get his ACL fixed in the past but was dissuaded by the coaches. Now this new ACL injury probably will cost him going forward. He definitely seemed more relieved than anything; not really happy AT ALL. I kinda feel sorry for him.

Like Bo Nickal?

Seriously, some of these wrestling interviews are among the worst in sports because the guy has just stepped off the mat and is still juiced and amped up. If the guys (Lee in this case) had 5 minutes to chill and decompress, the interview might well have been very different.

Agree 100%. They should be interviewing the winner of the previous weight after each match. Give them time to wind down and get their breath.

Agree, wasn't the best look, but not much time to process a lot of emotions. Feels bad for his teammates who lost, particularly Kemerer. He did not get bonus, maybe that cost him the Hodge. He has a recently torn ACL and the Olympic trials in a month (getting a NCAA title might have cost him a shot at an Olympic team birth).
Spencer need only take you down one time in FS, if he can win here, I see no reason he cant go at OTT.

It’s late and I’ve had two margs but I think I got it. Penn State 2022:
125: Spencer Lee (Howard RS, Steen GS)
133: Roman Bravo-Young
141: Nick Lee or Beau Bartlett
149: Shayne Van Ness or Nick Lee
157: David Carr or Brady Berge
165: Shane Griffith (Facundo GS)
174: Carter Starocci
184: Aaron Brooks
197: Michael Beard
HWT: Greg Kerkvliet

Did they take AD off his meds 8 days ago and he took it out on Spencer again? All
Kidding aside I hope Spencer heals quickly but this has to be bad timing with the upcoming trials.

Reactions: Fatmarc
It’s late and I’ve had two margs but I think I got it. Penn State 2022:
125: Spencer Lee (Howard RS, Steen GS)
133: Roman Bravo-Young
141: Nick Lee or Beau Bartlett
149: Shayne Van Ness or Nick Lee
157: David Carr or Brady Berge
165: Shane Griffith (Facundo GS)
174: Carter Starocci
184: Aaron Brooks
197: Michael Beard
HWT: Greg Kerkvliet
Can you mix me one of those? Wow

I'm almost to the point that I think it's a "problem" with medications. And now the devious side to me so turn away if you dont want to watch but Desanto wrestles like a complete beast when he's pissed off. The entire year he didnt have that edge to him until Nationals. Now If I were a like a Hawk fan (more specifically...Vodka) I'd think they took him off his meds to get that edge back.

Ok... pile on.
Completely agree and I said that to myself Thursday.

He gave you instructions for how to find it. You were just too lazy to follow the instructions, and hoped that somebody would spoon feed it to you. ;)

actually thank you, the link provided is a wonderful story about the pit bull puppy Jake on pit bull radio...maybe tomorrow it will work?

This was a season that really favored experience IMO. Bartlett, Joe Lee, Beard, Kerk and Howard got next to no experience prior to the postseason. I know Starocci didn't either but he's different. You give the other four freshmen a full season including a couple in-season tournaments and they do much better at nationals. A full season to train, a healthy Kerk along w/ SVN and Facundo coming in and Iowa won't have a chance.

Without the Berge injury, we might have just pulled this team victory off:

Team Standings
TeamPointsMaximum
Potential
# F# 1st# 2nd# 3rd# 4th# 5th# 6th# 7th# 8th
Iowa
125​
131​
3​
2​
2​
1​