ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 Transfer Portal Thread

Sophmore, was ranked like #54 overall out of hs. 6'5 199 with 17 receptions for 366 and a TD this year for the ducks. Seems to have the talent and length but needs to add strength.

#4 WR at Oregon. Losing his 2nd OC I believe. Meiga with better hands? I could see interest coming here.

Reactions: Online Persona
I am not an affciando of NCAA rules but methinks it is a violation to contact a player on another team by phone or in person. Don’t know if regs have been updated to include the many and various social media/electronic communications.

I would think any communications between a coaching staff and a player on another team could be problematic. Even innocent chatter between coaching staff and a player of another team could be problematic and trigger complaints and/or investigations. Best to delete contacts and stop following to minimize any accidental problems.
We're way past worrying about an infraction. Assistant coaches or their analyst are calling teammates and agents as I type. Total disregard for the rules of old.
Did you read Ex Stanfords coach David Shaws comments? Some schools need to make a decision education or success in football.

Agreed. Penn State fwiw has begun following him on Twitter again, so they're at least going to throw the hat in the ring in a preliminary fashion.
Again, yes, they could but he's not going to come to Penn State.
Yep, QB’s at top 10 programs that leave because they lost the battle to be the starting QB don’t go somewhere else to be “insurance “……

Reactions: marshall23
PSU has the best looking group of young Safety’s they possibly ever had, all of whom have gotten playing time, and up to 4 more coming in in the 2023 class. No Safey Scholarships likely available for a transfer.

Last edited:
PSU has the best looking group of young Safety’s they possibly ever had, all of whom have gotten playing time, and up to 4 more coming in in the 2023 class. No Safey Scholarships available for a transfer.
Does it matter that Driver is moving to WR?

as proven in the past few years, going through Senior Day doesn't mean you won't be back.
This is likely the week where James puts the cards on the table with one on one meetings.
Where does PSU stand with DEs? I'm thinking they are pretty deep.
Robinson
Sutton
Isaac
Vilbert
Fisher
Ta'Mere Robinson*
Lyons*

Honestly don't know how many scholarships they "budget" for DE.
Also, any news with Sutton? I didn't notice him the last several games.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU Soupy
Does it matter that Driver is moving to WR?
Reed, Wheatley, and Winston seem ready to take over the position, and Ellis could return as a starter. Mack, Hussey, and Nelson incoming. Washington also incoming also a S by services but reportedly to play CB at PSU.

Can’t see how Driver makes a big difference. The incoming Safety’s will likely contribute in 2023, especially those that enroll early, if any.

How many Safety’s does Franklin usually carry on the roster? If Ellis leaves there would be a need to get a freshman player or two ready early as insurance against injuries.

Reactions: marshall23
yes sir.....not sure I actually want anyone to move on that can come back:)
We never like to lose anyone. Separation anxiety. But its a conveyor belt. Only 85 scholarships and James has to crunch the #s. That's why IMO we'll see the portal announcements coming asap. Then we can speculate about how many spots are left for transfers and 6th year guys.

This is likely the week where James puts the cards on the table with one on one meetings.
Where does PSU stand with DEs? I'm thinking they are pretty deep.
Robinson
Sutton
Isaac
Vilbert
Fisher
Ta'Mere Robinson*
Lyons*

Honestly don't know how many scholarships they "budget" for DE.
Also, any news with Sutton? I didn't notice him the last several games.
Looks like you forgot Vanover who came on down the stretch this season, and Robinson is reportedly targeted for LB.

I believe DDS played the last games but only 1 tackle vs Rutgers and none vs MSU.

Reed, Wheatley, and Winston seem ready to take over the position, and Ellis could return as a starter. Mack, Hussey, and Nelson incoming. Washington also incoming also a S by services but reportedly to play CB at PSU.

Can’t see how Driver makes a big difference. The incoming Safety’s will likely contribute in 2023, especially those that enroll early, if any.

How many Safety’s does Franklin usually carry on the roster? If Ellis leaves there would be a need to get a freshman player or two ready early as insurance against injuries.
Don't make a study of it like you. That's why I asked. It does appear that James leans heavy on S and CBs for flexibility (seeing who grows into OLB and needs on special teams).

Not to completely derail this conversation - but, can anyone remember a time when the safety room was in such good hands?

We never like to lose anyone. Separation anxiety. But its a conveyor belt. Only 85 scholarships and James has to crunch the #s. That's why IMO we'll see the portal announcements coming asap. Then we can speculate about how many spots are left for transfers and 6th year guys.
I do know this from following the team and JF......the announcements will come about 1 per day and about the same time of the day.

I do know this from following the team and JF......the announcements will come about 1 per day and about the same time of the day.
James is brutally honest with his assessments. I think that is why PSU can avoid drama in season (most of the time). The hardest part (I imagine) is telling a veteran that his playing time may be diminished if he returns (because young uns are gaining on him.)
That being said.....yesterday was great news.....unfortunately, every day isn't going to replicate it.

Reactions: brupsu
The way the information was presented with Driver was unusual. His comfort was mentioned. How often does that occur? I don't remember Wilson's comfort being mentioned when he went from CB to WR back to CB.

Safety should see some attrition. A big class coming in, the #s there. Nobody predicted Rudolph leaving last year. I can see 1 leaving beyond Tig. I don't think it occurs here until spring.

WR will see some attrition, particularly if they have portal ambition like we all assume. Dottin seems likely, his playing time shrunk. I'd say one of the true freshman and or Meiga could be as well. Again, I think this depends on the portal.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
The way the information was presented with Driver was unusual. His comfort was mentioned. How often does that occur? I don't remember Wilson's comfort being mentioned when he went from CB to WR back to CB.

Safety should see some attrition. A big class coming in, the #s there. Nobody predicted Rudolph leaving last year. I can see 1 leaving beyond Tig. I don't think it occurs here until spring.

WR will see some attrition, particularly if they have portal ambition like we all assume. Dottin seems likely, his playing time shrunk. I'd say one of the true freshman and or Meiga could be as well. Again, I think this depends on the portal.
In reference to Driver, it could be related to his recruiting pitch. If the staff offered him flexibility as an incentive to come here....then it makes sense to me. His Dad was okay....let's hope for a genetic repeat.

Reactions: lazydave841

Rudolph wasn’t contributing like Reed, Wheatley and Winston did this season as 1st and 2nd year players, and Ellis seemed to play better down the stretch this season and would be a veteran presence at Safety for 2023. So I’m not convinced any of them leave. Who else is at the position except Flowers, who redsirted as he needed to get bigger?

Rudolph wasn’t contributing like Reed, Wheatley and Winston did this season as 1st and 2nd year players, and Ellis seemed to play better down the stretch this season and would be a veteran presence at Safety for 2023. So I’m not convinced any of them leave. Who else is at the position except Flowers, who redsirted as he needed to get bigger?

Ellis is the one I can see moving on. Eldest player in the room and he's battling for #2/#3. I don't want him to go. You need veterans. You need experience. But if Winston makes a big jump, watch out. I don't think we see any movement until the May portal period here.

Rudolph seemed to get on the field before Reed did, but I think there was an issue there. He played the first 4 games then disappeared. In the portal by late November, then gone by early signing day.

Ellis is the one I can see moving on. Eldest player in the room and he's battling for #2/#3. I don't want him to go. You need veterans. You need experience. But if Winston makes a big jump, watch out. I don't think we see any movement until the May portal period here.

Rudolph seemed to get on the field before Reed did, but I think there was an issue there. He played the first 4 games then disappeared. In the portal by late November, then gone by early signing day.
I believe Rudolph redshirted as a true freshman in the 2019 class. Reed was one of only a few players in the 2021 class to burn their redshirt, with Wheatley redshirting.

Wheatley seems to have already made the jump as he was the take away king of both Spring and Fall practices.

Winston seems to be coming along nicely as well this season.

Last edited:
According to some other boards, young men that left THE REGION, are having second thoughts and buyers remorse and are blowing up the phones trying to get back to PSU. Take it for what its worth.

I do know this.....this certainly rivals the baseball hot stove on my top of list for off season sports. You have to be careful though. As fun as it is It can happen to us as well. Maybe not this year but sometime. In a way we started it when Silas went to SC.

I believe Rudolph redshirted as a true freshman in the 2019 class. Reed was one of only a few players in the 2021 class to burn their redshirt, with Wheatley redshirting.

Winston seems to have already made the jump as he was the take away king of both Spring and Fall practices.
Why do you bold every post? It's very hard on the eyes FYI, so I skip every single post you make without reading it.

Reactions: CltDon1
He previously explained he does it because he has very poor eyesight. Can see normal font, IIRC.
One guy can’t see unless he uses bold print. Another guy can’t see well enough to read the bold print. I guess they both have different eye doctors.

Reactions: 81b&w
One guy can’t see unless he uses bold print. Another guy can’t see well enough to read the bold print. I guess they both have different eye doctors.
I can read it fine, it's just uncomfortable and causes eye strain. Kind of like staring at an optical illusion photo for a long period of time. If it helps him I guess that's great, but given how it appears on screen I just skip right on past those posts. 99% of the content here isn't in bold so I'm not sure how only bolding one's own posts helps but to each their own.

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Reactions: Agoodnap
I can read it fine, it's just uncomfortable and causes eye strain. Kind of like staring at an optical illusion photo for a long period of time. If it helps him I guess that's great, but given how it appears on screen I just skip right on past those posts. 99% of the content here isn't in bold so I'm not sure how only bolding one's own posts helps but to each their own.

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg
Thanks for posting that. Now I have to call my optometrist!

ADVERTISEMENT