ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 Transfer Portal Thread

Can maybe get a smart reliable qb from the ivy in case Drew goes down. No, I'm not comparing Pribula with Roberson...but they have about the same playing time so far. Check that, Roberson has taken a ton more snaps than Pribula.
Get your point. But it's more about talent and poise than it is just snaps.

I'd bet my pay check that Pribula will be a better B10 QB than Roberson, who looked like a deer in the headlights in his 2nd year at PSU.....

Reactions: Psugo823
In theory you would think that would be possible.

Problem I see is this:
1. What QB would leave their current situation to go and practice "in case" someone gets hurt?
2. What is to say an Ivy League QB, albeit a starter there, is better than Pribula?

I see the situation as it what it is and am thankful that Pibula will also be going through his second off season with the program. In my mind I think we have 2 3rd year QB's coming back next year.
A QB that has no aspirations of an NFL career and is instead real focused on his lifes work and is willing to compete with Pribula for the backup job and even is he loses that battle would still:
1. run out on the field at PSU in front of 107k, including experiencing a white out
2. take away trips to 4 or 5 B10 stadiums as the 2nd or 3rd string QB
3. get a free graduate degree from PSU to further get ready for life after football
4. enjoy State College for a year or two

Bottom line is that Franklin will not go into 2023 with just 3 scholarship QB's......

Reactions: Psugo823
A QB that has no aspirations of an NFL career and is instead real focused on his lifes work and is willing to compete with Pribula for the backup job and even is he loses that battle would still:
1. run out on the field at PSU in front of 107k, including experiencing a white out
3. get a free graduate degree from PSU to further get ready for life after football

Bottom line is that Franklin will not go into 2023 with just 3 scholarship QB's......
I hope you’re right man. I just don’t think your list means as much to kids today compared what that would mean to us.

Not a good sign when the starting QB transfers before a bowl game….especially for the coach and recruiting.
Why is that? Buchner was a top QB recruit, a year younger than Pyne, and had beaten Pyne out for the ND starting QB job. So Pyne must realize that when Buchner comes back for 2023 he will beat Pyne out again and Pyne would be relegated to being #2 at best for the remainder of his ND career, as Minchey is coming for 2023 and lit up the Elite 11 before decommitting from Pitt to switch to ND.

Pyne realizes he is good enough to start some where else and wants to do just that.

Sounds pretty logical given the transfer rules now in effect.

And it sends the message that seniority does not matter at ND, and that ND plays the best players, which is what top high school players want to hear. And ND with the #3 overall 2023 class seems to be selling that point very well.

Why is that? Buchner was a top QB recruit, a year younger than Pyne, and had beaten Pyne out for the ND starting QB job. So Pyne must realize that when Buchner comes back for 2023 he will beat Pyne out again and Pyne would be relegated to being #2 at best for the remainder of his ND career, as Minchey is coming for 2023 and lit up the Elite 11 before decommitting from Pitt to switch to ND.

Pyne realizes he is good enough to start some where else and wants to do just that.

And it sends the message that seniority does not matter at ND, and that ND plays the best players, which is what top high school players want to hear. And ND with the #3 overall 2023 class seems to be selling that point very well.
That does add more context.

NDs new coach is an outstanding recruiter. It is his coaching and development that are currently huge question marks. If he can answer that then I would expect the recruiting excellence to continue. If not, it will begin to fall off.

Last edited:

The previous post said it was the starting QB, not someone that got beat out.

I don't know the full history of NDs depth chart. Pyne has been their starter this year. Not sure when this other kid was listed above him on the depth chart or when he got hurt. I would also think that it isn't 100% that the other kid wins the job again though this transfer may tell the story. But again, I found an article saying their starter was transferring and posted it. Didn't know any more than background than that.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I don't know the full history of NDs depth chart. Pyne has been their starter this year. Not sure when this other kid was listed above him on the depth chart or when he got hurt. I would also think that it isn't 100% that the other kid wins the job again though this transfer may tell the story. But again, I found an article saying their starter was transferring and posted it. Didn't know any more than background than that.
Same here. Haven’t seen a ND game this year.

Yep, Pyne got beat out by Buchner for the starting QB spot going into this season. But Buchner got hurt and Pyne took over for the remainder of the season. So yes Pyne is now the starting QB. But yes Pyne did get beat out in the competition leading to ND's current season, according to the article.

Just like Franklin mentions that he has meetings with each individual player on his roster to let them know where they stand going forward, the ND coach likely did as well. And possibly he told Pyne that Pyne will not be considered the starting QB this off season, i.e. that the QB position for 2023 is an open competition. Pyne might have actually been told that the staff considers Buchner the returning starter since he only lost the job due to injury.

Last edited:
Yep, Pyne got beat out by Buchner for the starting QB spot going into this season. But Buchner got hurt and Pyne took over for the remainder of the season. So yes Pyne is now the starting QB. But yes Pyne did get beat out in the competition leading to ND's current season, according to the article.
Thanks for clarification.

In any case, you've got a super wealthy young man, who doesn't need a scholarship, who was highly recruited and has some great experience, choosing to flee from one of the nation's most historic football programs and top universities.

Rather than competing against someone who looked awful vs OSU and a rookie who is unproven...he bolts.

Such is the state of the game. Wish him well...but I agree that this is a bizarre situation.

Reactions: GregInPitt
I saw a story about the best portal players for 2023. It included 4 WRs:
  • Dubose - Charlotte
  • Wright - Fordham
  • Thornton - Oregon
  • Lovett - Missouri (hasn't announced but is expected to do so)

This is going to seem pretty crazy but Michigan captain Erick All just went into the portal. Erick All portal
Listen to this. Jurkovec is transferring from BC to Pitt; this will be his third school, as he began with ND. Also, this precipitated Slovis leaving Pitt, so now he'll be with a third school. What a joke.

Something to do with the surgery has to be the cause. Think he's only played in 3 games all season. Must not be healthy enough to play in 25 days. He was their best TE.
Even if not healthy the playoffs would quite a ride to go through with all your team mates. And if not healthy going to much harder to get a transfer offer. Perhaps he feels,if he waits too long there will be fewer be offers. But still a strange move.

Reactions: lazydave841
Not sure if it is somewhere in the thread but Jake Hornibrook OG from Stanford is in the portal. West Chester, PA/ Malvern Prep product. His brother was the Wisky QB, sister swam at PSU. 50% starter who could add depth and maybe step up. His dad and one uncle played line at Temple. His mother's brother is Ben Davis the former baseball player and current Phils analyst.

Smart kid from a great family.....

We are after at least 6 wide receivers with offers...Dion Sanders ain't getting all of them. 2 of them are coming here.

Perhaps after another team picks him up. He's not in a position to trash Michigan right now because it might hurt his opportunities.
Yeah, I dont much care personally, I was just notifying the group that he left unhappy. I know we have had players leave that weren't happy....thats sort of how these things go.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

In other words, a bad QB who’s just happy to be there.

Reactions: marshall23
I'd offer the LB from Tulsa, Justin Wright. The kid is 6'2", 244 lbs and had over 100 tackles this year. Not a high priority position but this kid is worth an offer.

Last edited:
Just read on another board that 9 players from Bama entered the Portal today - WOW. This is definitely a different age in CF
How many starters?

I think PSU has 3 so far but Porter is the only starter.

Yes, this is certainly a different age.

Not sure if it is somewhere in the thread but Jake Hornibrook OG from Stanford is in the portal. West Chester, PA/ Malvern Prep product. His brother was the Wisky QB, sister swam at PSU. 50% starter who could add depth and maybe step up. His dad and one uncle played line at Temple. His mother's brother is Ben Davis the former baseball player and current Phils analyst.

Smart kid from a great family.....
He may have had his picture taken at the JoePa statue before it was removed as well, but I believe that scholarships will be so dear within the 85 scholarship limit, and that the interior olinemen on the roster that are staying along with the (2) 2023 high 4 / 5 star incoming interior OL recruits will limit consideration of portal olinemen strictly to those that play OT and play OT at a pretty high level. Or possibly an OT with multiple years of eligibility remaining that could be a backup in 2023 and compete to start in 2024. That is unless there are contributing interior OL players that unexpectantly leave in the next few weeks.....

Last edited:
Reactions: 87 Penn St8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT