ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 Transfer Portal Thread

How many starters?

I think PSU has 3 so far but Porter is the only starter.

Yes, this is certainly a different age.
Not sure but I was on the Alabama board and someone listed that so far - nationally - 667 players and 62 QBs have now entered the Portal - that's crazy. And there's a lot more to come

Reactions: tlbakernc
In other words, a bad QB who’s just happy to be there.
I don't believe they would take a "bad" QB. But they might take Slovis, for example, if he met the criteria I listed, that is if no other program attractive to Slovis believes Slovis could start for them and willing to take Slovis as a true competitor to start for their program. I don't believe Slove is bad, but he sure is not a good QB for a winning P5 program. He would be insurance against a rash of injuries only.

More like there will be lots of QB's in the portal that aspire to transfer to a P5 program and have a true opportunity to compete to start. But as with musical chairs, if there are no chairs empty as this plays out across college football, maybe a QB with no attractive place to go is willing to spend a pleasant year at PSU. Some might then go to a small college to just play football, but maybe one will be attracted by PSU's MBA program or something else.....

A QB that has no aspirations of an NFL career and is instead real focused on his lifes work and is willing to compete with Pribula for the backup job and even is he loses that battle would still:
1. run out on the field at PSU in front of 107k, including experiencing a white out
2. take away trips to 4 or 5 B10 stadiums as the 2nd or 3rd string QB
3. get a free graduate degree from PSU to further get ready for life after football
4. enjoy State College for a year or two

Bottom line is that Franklin will not go into 2023 with just 3 scholarship QB's......

Can you identify any transfers from year's past that fit this category and we'd actually want as a backup?

Most kids who are happy to stay backups aren't making moves, they're happy to stay put.

According to FOS at this point PSU has 81 scholarships now projected as being taken for 2023. So at this point there are 4 scholarships available.

If the staff uses those 4 to add to the 19 2023 commits to get to a 23 player 2023 class, any incoming transfer additions require a player leaving PSU from those now listed. There more than likely will be at least a few players that realize they can't reach their playing time goals at PSU and move on in the next few weeks, which will open up the scholarships to bring in 3-4 incoming transfers. But FOS seems to update their easy to understand listing so bookmarking and checking it helps sort out where PSU is really at regarding available scholarships.....

Last edited:
We have plenty of players that played QB in High School. Omari Evans, Tyler Warren, and Mason Stahl were all QB's and that is just off the top of my head. I am sure we have more.
I think Tyler warren signed with vt as a QB.

Lots of QBs in there……and none of them are going to transfer to Penn State. They want to play and play a lot. Going to be extremely difficult to get any QB to transfer here.

After that perfect TD pass he threw Saturday, we need to get KeAndre Lambert-Smith a lot of practice time as emergency QB. Bet he played some in high school. Also bet he could scramble and run with the best of them!
Not true. It is simple numbers. There are more qbs than teams. They can't all start.

A good article that reviews how Franklin and his staff will manage the roster in this busy time of year for building next year's roster......

Not true. It is simple numbers. There are more qbs than teams. They can't all start.

They can't all start but they can pick situations where they feel they have a legit shot at competing for a starting job. Not many kids are going to feel that way about Penn State with Allar in place.

I shouldn't have counted Porter.

Veilleux
Davis
McNeil
McGraw

I hadn't seen Davis, but he's one most would not be surprised by. The FOS chart already has him removed in the count to 81

In going back and looking at the FOS chart, both Ellis and Dixon are not listed among the CB's and Safty's........ Wonder what's up with that,

Scruggs also not listed. Maybe the FOS chart is not worth the look.....

I offer the LB from Tulsa, Justin Wright. The kid is 6'2", 244 lbs and had over 100 tackles this year. Not a high priority position but this kid is worth an offer.

I think Mike LB is still a high priority position. Kobe King began playing at a higher level and he might improve even more, but if you can get any type of upgrade here you have to explore the option.

Imagine having a Carter-quality player in the middle who can stuff the run, defend the pass, and not be a liability in coverage.

--- I'm not saying it is this player, but if the staff offers, absolutely.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
I think Mike LB is still a high priority position. Kobe King began playing at a higher level and he might improve even more, but if you can get any type of upgrade here you have to explore the option.

Imagine having a Carter-quality player in the middle who can stuff the run, defend the pass, and not be a liability in coverage.

We need a lb badly.

They can't all start but they can pick situations where they feel they have a legit shot at competing for a starting job. Not many kids are going to feel that way about Penn State with Allar in place.
About Half of psu incoming transfers actually did not start.

Reactions: Psugo823
Yeah, I dont much care personally, I was just notifying the group that he left unhappy. I know we have had players leave that weren't happy....thats sort of how these things go.
Agreed however, those that leave unhappy are doing so over lack of playing time. This is Michigan's captain leaving unhappy. Interestingly the 2nd captain leaving with the other being McNamara after getting demoted.

If Jacobs returns, I respectfully disagree. I really think Kobe King was beginning to take a big step forward at the end of the season and he will be an outstanding Mike. Carter is a special player and I don’t think you’ll find anyone of “Carter-quality” in the portal. Carter, Jacobs and King would be a top 3 LB unit in the country and Elsdon and DeLuca would be depth. Focus on a big, run-stopping DT and a WR, IMHO.

If Jacobs returns, I respectfully disagree. I really think Kobe King was beginning to take a big step forward at the end of the season and he will be an outstanding Mike. Carter is a special player and I don’t think you’ll find anyone of “Carter-quality” in the portal. Carter, Jacobs and King would be a top 3 LB unit in the country and Elsdon and DeLuca would be depth. Focus on a big, run-stopping DT and a WR, IMHO.
Yep. PSU has an All American LB (Carter) at Will, a very good player Jacobs at Sam if he returns, and a young player at Mike that played very well in the 2nd half of the season in King. And two of the top 10-15 2023 LB recruits in the country coming in that probably expect to play and not redshirt in 2023. And a couple of young LB's on the roster that will likely have a chance to contribute as they improve going into 2023 as well, in Buddin and Wylie. And the current defense plays a lot of 2 LB sets.

Short of an all american starting LB coming in from a top program I don't see how an incoming transfer ends up as a starting LB for PSU in 2023. And if that happened it could lead to one of the current projected starters leaving. So I don't see the staff using a scholarship on a tranfer LB unless a younger player with multiple years of eligibility looks too good to pass up. But only the shaddow knows for sure.....

Has PSU offered any portal LB's?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Agreed however, those that leave unhappy are doing so over lack of playing time. This is Michigan's captain leaving unhappy. Interestingly the 2nd captain leaving with the other being McNamara after getting demoted.
Don't believe he was playing much.

Update to someone we were tracking

Joshua Braun OL Florida committed to Arkansas

As expected. Pittman was OL coach at UGA (Braun committed there before Florida) and recruited him heavily. Arkansas OL coach was a grad assistant at UGA then as well.

Connections matter.

Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT