ADVERTISEMENT

2022-23 Transfer Portal Thread

Agreed however, those that leave unhappy are doing so over lack of playing time. This is Michigan's captain leaving unhappy. Interestingly the 2nd captain leaving with the other being McNamara after getting demoted.
Yea and sorry, not picking on you, but both of these "captains" aren't getting playing time....so I don't think this is a hard riddle to solve. If anything, it seems to me the Michigan coaches are pretty lousy at picking captains. Just not normal for your captains not to play unless of course these upperclassman were made captains specifically because the coaches knew they wouldn't play and but needed some leverage to keep them for depth. Pretty cynical, but that's college football today.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Yea and sorry, not picking on you, but both of these "captains" aren't getting playing time....so I don't think this is a hard riddle to solve. If anything, it seems to me the Michigan coaches are pretty lousy at picking captains. Just not normal for your captains not to play unless of course these upperclassman were made captains specifically because the coaches knew they wouldn't play and but needed some leverage to keep them for depth. Pretty cynical, but that's college football today.
I think you are absolutely correct about McNamara and you would think the other players see how he was mislead. On All, I think injury was the reason and perhaps disagreement coming off of the injury. Either way, it's a bad look and perhaps will result in some player management challenges down the road.

I think you are absolutely correct about McNamara and you would think the other players see how he was mislead. On All, I think injury was the reason and perhaps disagreement coming off of the injury. Either way, it's a bad look and perhaps will result in some player management challenges down the road.
Yeah, I know we are sort of hoping that a couple high profile defections from the program put a chink in the armor of the now mighty Michigan, but it ain't gonna happen. Recruits are watching what appears to be a very cohesive, well coached, historic team absolutely dominating the conference and going to the playoffs in 2 successive years. Some 4 star recruit isn't worried about players not on the field, like Erik All. Upperclassman weren't playing, they left.....I just don't see more to this than that, even if we want there to be. Now if Jimmy H leaves...

Reactions: Westcoast24
Usually there is a reason behind offers.....could be Scruggs is going Pro, could be wormly going portal......but usually if we are doing it there is a reason.
Exactly. And Franklin has that info from his one on one meetings he held over the last week.

If Jacobs said he was leaving it would make sense to look for a Sam type LB in the portal. But if he's staying PSU looks to be set at LB.....

Lots more pieces to put together on the OL, but it's great the Nourzad is returning for 2023.

Carter, Jacobs and King would be a top 3 LB unit in the country and Elsdon and DeLuca would be depth. Focus on a big, run-stopping DT and a WR, IMHO.

King's improvement from Purdue to Sparty was huge, but I'd like to see him play that way vs Utah before anointing this group as a top 3 unit.

Elsdon didn't have this improvement jump. Do you feel confident in him covering Michigan TEs? Stepping up to meet Edwards in the hole? Shedding blocks vs the big boys?

It's a position that we have to get better at and we need higher level depth. LB was, without doubt, the biggest question mark coming into the season. I just fail to make the leap that you have.

I hope to see Wylie and Buddin make jumps next year. De Luca had a very solid year, but again he's not a Mike.

DT and WR we agree upon. DT is going to be tougher because there aren't as many available. WR will be easier fills, but no guarantee Jordan Addison studs out there yet.

All was injured

LB isn’t a major need but Harrisburg (PA) native Andre White has entered the transfer portal. Worth noting.

7 games played in 2022, 35 tackles 4 for loss, 1 sack and 1 forced fumble.

Backup WLB for a 5-7 team.

I hope the staff passes on this type of "help" and focuses on developing the young LB's they recruited, including the two exciting 2022 commits, Rojas and Robinson.

Last edited:
Says who? Their coaches? There other TEs have played quite well.
You tell me. You seem to have a finger on the pulse that no one else has. It’s all good. You don’t know that answer and neither do I when it comes right down to it. I just wish the kid well.

You tell me. You seem to have a finger on the pulse that no one else has. It’s all good. You don’t know that answer and neither do I when it comes right down to it. I just wish the kid well.
Hahaha. All I ever maintained is that 2 upperclassmen not playing transferred, that their doesn't seem to be a big conspiracy or more "there there" but somehow I'm the one with all the answers. Okay

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
Last edited:
Hahaha. All I ever maintained is that 2 upperclassmen not playing transferred, that their doesn't seem to be a big conspiracy or more "there there" but somehow I'm the one with all the answers. Okay
Lol. Ya maybe I misinterpreted what you wrote. That’s my bad. That’s why I like face to face conversations better sometimes. Lol

According to FOS at this point PSU has 81 scholarships now projected as being taken for 2023. So at this point there are 4 scholarships available.

If the staff uses those 4 to add to the 19 2023 commits to get to a 23 player 2023 class, any incoming transfer additions require a player leaving PSU from those now listed. There more than likely will be at least a few players that realize they can't reach their playing time goals at PSU and move on in the next few weeks, but FOS seems to update their easy to understand listing so bookmarking and checking it helps sort out where PSU is really at regarding available scholarships.....

JF almost immediately made changes to recruiting when portal started. He keeps 3/4 slots open for portal kids. So he under recruits to keep option open. My guess is we see a few more kids transferring.

Read elsewhere that Cephus is taking OV to Penn State.

Even with his head coach going to Colorado you would think his relationship with Terry Smith is really big here.

Cephus and one more WR and call it a day.

Read elsewhere that Cephus is taking OV to Penn State.

Even with his head coach going to Colorado you would think his relationship with Terry Smith is really big here.

Cephus and one more WR and call it a day.
And Daequan Hardy was his team mate during high school, with Hardy I believe playing QB and a bunch of positions when both were seniors at Penn Hills and Penn Hills won the 2018 state championship as I remember. So both Cephus and Hardy were 2019 class recruits after being team mates at Penn Hills. When TS and Franklin and others on the PSU staff were checking out Hardy they undoubtedly had some contact with Cephus. Cephus may have also accompanied Hardy to a PSU camp or two.......

Looks like the DE Townley is also in the portal........

Good size, but you could see he was not strong enough to play outside of garbage time. I thought he would stick around, but it looks like the staff is after 2 DEs in '23 class still.

Good size, but you could see he was not strong enough to play outside of garbage time. I thought he would stick around, but it looks like the staff is after 2 DEs in '23 class still.
Hope Tarburton returns. Most true freshmen are not ready to be real effective as DE's. Even a player like DDS had some growing pains. Lyons is listed as having good size but unless he enrolls in January he won't have a S&C winter to get stronger to face B10 competition.

Maybe Franklin goes after a transfer DE if Tarburton does not return.

Reactions: Texas Lion
Hope Tarburton returns. Most true freshmen are not ready to be real effective as DE's. Even a player like DDS had some growing pains. Lyons is listed as having good size but unless he enrolls in January he won't have a S&C winter to get stronger to face B10 competition.

Maybe Franklin goes after a transfer DE if Tarburton does not return.
I'm hoping everyone returns....look, at this point we have at least half a dozen examples of guys leaving, only to not make an NFL roster at all.

Sorry, not taking the bait. Either make the case for these guys to leave or stay on the sidelines of the thread.
Bait? You are the one that said we have “a half dozen examples of guys leaving, only to not make a NFL roster at all”. Just curious as to how you came to that conclusion. Based on past players? Some in depth analysis of the current players? Insider information from the NFL?

Reactions: Lion8286
How many stayed and did not make an NFL roster?
None of that changes the fact that Washington is not listed on any mock draft as better than a 3rd day pick. He should stay and every coach worth his salt including Franklin will advise him as such.

If Franklin can sign Keys the decommit from UNC that he has been after for a long time, wonder if that will eliminate LB as a position of interest for an incoming transfer? How many LB scholarships will the 85 limit roster support?

Reactions: bison13
If Franklin can sign Keys the decommit from UNC that he has been after for a long time, wonder if that will eliminate LB as a position of interest for an incoming transfer? How many LB scholarships will the 85 limit roster support?
I think it would. Not sure unless it is barnham that they would take a lb at all. I think they are happy with kings progression, deluca as viable, and Elsdon as improving. I think they would be just fine to add Rojas, Keys, and Nelson to the room.

Reactions: 81b&w
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT