ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling 2023 NCAA Tournament Live Thread: Session IV -- National Semis!

JFC!!!!!!!!!!!! The AF guy hasn't even wiggled for a minute and Kerkvliet gets hit with a stall call?
….and is the wrong application of the rule. The guy on bottom IS obligated to try get off his belly. The guy on top isn’t really obligated to to much of anything if the guy on bottom makes no attempt to get up.

Reactions: nitlion6
A day like today has to be the best recruiting tool one could ever ask for. What blue chip recruit watches what PSU does year in and year out and doesn’t want to be a part of it? I bet Barr, Sealey, Ryder, Kasak, Gibson, Davis, and the Mirasola twins are pretty excited right now knowing the environment they are coming into

Last edited:
I remember Meredith making exactly the same mistake with less than a minute left in the NCAA finals a few years ago. I wish SVN had watched that match a few times before today.
Yup. I’m good with it.

I mean….we actually saw a guy losing by two get hit for stalling today. Lol. Give me forward press any day.

Reactions: Grass and Ski
Favored in 3 of the finals with the other 2 toss ups? RBY, Starocci, and AB are definitely favored. Kerk has to be the underdog against Parris but their matches are razor thin. Levi is the favorite in my eyes but I’m a homer. I would think O’Connor would be the betting favorite but it has to close after the performance Levi has had
5 for 5 would be absolutely spectacular. With the staff track record it's hard to go against. I'll go 4 for 5.

The big 3 do that they do. See Bo's speech.

I think Levi can match AOC. AOC is damn good but I'll give it to Cael to pick out one thing to exploit and hand it to Levi. We've seen Levi win just about every kind of match you can dream up. Cael gives Levi the tools. Levi executes.

Parris just seems to be on a mission this year. Complete destruction of everyone hes faced. I'd love to be wrong here though.

If Bartlett (or Shane) wins tomorrow morning over a wrestle he beat yesterday that's 3.5 - 5.5 points.

If any of the 5 Iowa wrestle loses in their first match they lose 5.5 points. So 1 Iowa loss plus 1 not winning by pin plus Bartlett or SVN winning we clinch title.

Reactions: Creek Side
If Bartlett (or Shane) wins tomorrow morning over a wrestle he beat yesterday that's 3.5 - 5.5 points.

If any of the 5 Iowa wrestle loses in their first match they lose 5.5 points. So 1 Iowa loss plus 1 not winning by pin plus Bartlett or SVN winning we clinch title.
Iowa's maximum point value is assuming every single one of their guys pins every remaining match.

Reactions: IndyLion1

For the tournament shane had I want him to clinch I think

My head is still spinning from today's action. Just glad I'm alive to witness it. Finish the job tomorrow with the foot on the gas!!!

Now, any chance the kind fellow who synced up Byers calls with the matches yesterday and today can place them in the Greatest Calls thread? I want to watch all of them, just don't know what page they'd be on.

5 for 5 would be absolutely spectacular. With the staff track record it's hard to go against. I'll go 4 for 5.

The big 3 do that they do. See Bo's speech.

I think Levi can match AOC. AOC is damn good but I'll give it to Cael to pick out one thing to exploit and hand it to Levi. We've seen Levi win just about every kind of match you can dream up. Cael gives Levi the tools. Levi executes.

Parris just seems to be on a mission this year. Complete destruction of everyone hes faced. I'd love to be wrong here though.

Complete destruction of everyone he's faced??? I would say that's a Gross exaggeration of his two matches this year versus Kerk - both matches were extremely tight and effectively came down to Parris having the better tank.

My head is still spinning from today's action. Just glad I'm alive to witness it. Finish the job tomorrow with the foot on the gas!!!

Now, any chance the kind fellow who synced up Byers calls with the matches yesterday and today can place them in the Greatest Calls thread? I want to watch all of them, just don't know what page they'd be on.
Speaking of which, has anyone confirmed that Byers made it through this? Maybe he can hit up the Minny guys for some Xanex.

Vito ain't as fast as McGee, sorry. Now that may or may not be the difference but no way is Vito as fast as Mcgee
mcGhee uses his quickness very well. But Vito is lightning quick also. It’s silly to try to say one is faster than the other, as that’s such a subjective thing, yet again, that never stopped you from starting an argument, so… I guess I’ll just concede, lol.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Complete destruction of everyone he's faced??? I would say that's a Gross exaggeration of his two matches this year versus Kerk - both matches were extremely tight and effectively came down to Parris having the better tank.
I don't know. The score was close each time. But from my eyes, it didn't feel close. I'm not knocking Kerk here, just think Parris is on a different level right now.

Reactions: Ski and Creek Side
Who says excuses are for Wusses?
Wow!, they are now trying to offer up the excuse, on HR, that Lee, was injured.
Said it the day he committed, say it still. Spencer was completely perfectly aligned for Penn State and he overthought it. He’s tough as nails and those coaches/fans don’t deserve him.

Reactions: diggerpup
Who says excuses are for Wusses?
Wow!, they are now trying to offer up the excuse, on HR, that Lee, was injured.
That match by Ramos was a slight karmic payback for Purdue's terrible loss in basketball today. And make no mistake, that was an ATROCIOUS loss for Purdue. FDU technically didn't even belong in the tournament and was a sub-300 team in Kenpom. Purdue fans are near suicide.

Apologies for talking that much about basketball....

Shayne did have it and since he only has one direction…..forward….he didn’t. 1:00 of Yianni coming after you is a problem, I’ve been watching him since Jr High.

If you don’t know what a national champion looks like from afar…::take a peek at Van Ness. He grew up a bunch in the last three weeks. Regardless of what happens tomorrow, he will be on top of the podium before he leaves PSU.

Shane's biggest weakness in Neutral is that he losses track of his body posture - he sometimes gets near straight up-&-down when fighting a collar-tie, Russian Tie or clinch.... he did it repeatedly throughout YD match - it finally cost him in latter half of 3rd. No way should YD be able to be close enough to you to get a body-lock when you're leading.... he needs to keep his knees bent and an upper-body bend when fighting those positions.

Reactions: Ja1339 and Ski
I seriously think they have the second most talented roster going into next year. I think the Feldman injury set them back a bit, but they recruited extremely well
You could be right. Mendez is the real deal, but not yet a world beater. Feldman could be. Word is Bouzakis is already looking around. But mostly it’s the number of guys that they have brought in and relatively flamed out that gives me peace.

In re-watching Ramos roll Lee to his back the critical thing he did was he released his right arm mid roll to hook under Lee's left arm, keeping Lee from rolling through. That action was critical. It was also critical he was able to escape prior to that or none of us would have just witnessed one of the greatest upsets of all time.

The good ones from HR post over here. I'll give them their moment. I'm sure it's tough on them as fans. Hopefully it's nothing we experience as AB and CS for for their 4th next year.
All very true.

Though I have to be honest, I’ve mentally prepared for it by convincing myself we’ll still win the team title if that happens. I also think winning that this year would soften the blow for them from the loss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT