ADVERTISEMENT

2023 US Open

Bassett lost to both Isaiah and Elijah Cortez

Know they arent PSU giys YET but who would have bet that neither of Bassett or Forrest would make the team.
Still high on Forrest, but I think you are seeing that when Bassett cannot bully smaller kids than him, he has trouble. I've been saying for awhile that if he grew to bigger weight classes, he would not be near as dominate. Add that to him posting videos of every time he beats a kid on his YouTube page, and I' think there is just too much drama and high-maintenance around him (mostly his dad's doing).

Absolutely love Lilledahl, and wouldn't mind getting Knox. I think Knox might have the most upside of all the kids that are being talked about

HR regulars need to stop crying their beer. They have some good young talent coming in.

Overall, I thought they had a more impressive tourney than tOSU.

Still high on Forrest, but I think you are seeing that when Bassett cannot bully smaller kids than him, he has trouble. I've been saying for awhile that if he grew to bigger weight classes, he would not be near as dominate. Add that to him posting videos of every time he beats a kid on his YouTube page, and I' think there is just too much drama and high-maintenance around him (mostly his dad's doing).

Absolutely love Lilledahl, and wouldn't mind getting Knox. I think Knox might have the most upside of all the kids that are being talked about
Oh my good god, This guy again. Over half his posts are against Mcort and Bassett. We get you don’t like Bassett and his dad. I am sure he must have beaten your kid or something. The kid just beat lilledhal a few weeks ago. I have respect for all the wrestlers who put it on the line week in and week out. As much as I don’t like the private schools, looking through the results they are the ones out at team trials.
Bethlehem cath had Rath and Dillard do well. Faith had waters make a world team and Mcort had herring and Sledzianoski make one.

^^ Willfully ignores Carter Starocci's social media.

old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

Oh my good god, This guy again. Over half his posts are against Mcort and Bassett. We get you don’t like Bassett and his dad. I am sure he must have beaten your kid or something. The kid just beat lilledhal a few weeks ago. I have respect for all the wrestlers who put it on the line week in and week out. As much as I don’t like the private schools, looking through the results they are the ones out at team trials.
Bethlehem cath had Rath and Dillard do well. Faith had waters make a world team and Mcort had herring and Sledzianoski make one.
Thanks for reciting the results, but I was there to see it live. But thanks again. And of course you use the line 'he must have beat my kid', since it is oh so original. So there were 'just' private kids at WTT? Thats news to me. As for the win over Lilledahl, if you mean by handfighting and not taking a single shot as a big win, then thats cool. I guess your forgot about the 10-0 result (times 2) last year when they wrestled. Stick to Benton and D4, and let us know 'what you heard' in the Wrestling Dad Lobby, lol. Clown.

While true, at least Carter has done something at the highest level in the sport. So while cringy as it may be, there is a little lee way there.
I agree that Bo and Keegan need to be the adults in the room, and occasionally take their dad's phone away.

But there's no evidence that the kids are anything other than hard workers with lofty goals and eager for competition. Any negatives are our distate for their dad's marketing, projected onto them. Which says a lot more about us than about them.

As for their wrestling, time will tell.

I agree that Bo and Keegan need to be the adults in the room, and occasionally take their dad's phone away.

But there's no evidence that the kids are anything other than hard workers with lofty goals and eager for competition. Any negatives are our distate for their dad's marketing, projected onto them. Which says a lot more about us than about them.

As for their wrestling, time will tell.
Unless they go to Iowa. Then the board can pile on as much as they want if a parent breaks their glasses or gives an interview to Flo about their sons injury status.

Last edited:
Anyone know what happened to the Raney brothers? Neither wrestled today and has DSQ listed in the result
Don't know if this was answered yet or not but they had a rough time making scratch weight on sunday after wrestling greco then freestyle. Scratch weight on sunday after being worn down fatigued them. Not a bad showing for either with Jordyn making the Greco world team.

Last edited:
Reactions: zzs006
Unless they go to Iowa. Then the board can pile on as much as they want if a parent breaks their glasses or gives an interview to Flo about their sons injury status.

To beeeeee fair, Spencer is not a child anymore. Also, when you send out family members to do interviews for you then, yes, they are a reflection of you.

We also have a running gag about buying tickets behind the Iowa bench at B10s and nationals, for volatile dads such as Amine and Suriano and Martin and Gunning and Ferrari and Downey (offhand, probably more) -- none of whom were at the time associated with Iowa.

So our mockery of volatile parents long preceeded Mrs. Lee's mocktastic glasses episode, and is hardly limited to Iowa parents.

Don't know if this was answered yet or not but they had a rough time making scratch weight on sunday after wrestling greco then freestyle. Scratch weight on sunday after being worn down fatigued them. Not a bad showing for either with Jordyn making the Greco world team.
Thanks for the info. Definitely tough making scratch weight that many days in a row. Both kids are fun to watch. Excited to see how they continue to develop

The interview was odd. Not sure why it was needed and he really didn’t say what was wrong. I don’t like Iowa but I do feel bad for the Lee’s. The part of the interview where Larry Lee said his wife would never go back to a wrestling event is sad. God bless them. I can’t imagine Spencer continuing his career being so beat up. I am sure Gilman is disappointed he won’t get to wrestle him.
What was the Vegas odds on Zane Richards winning that weight?

Interestingly, I’m now sort of wondering if Ryder doesn’t end up at 174. Starocci also wrestled 80kg as a cadet. I don’t think Zack really cuts weight and he’s pretty filled out. Barr has more length on him. Though Ryder is still pretty young.
FWIW (perhaps not much), Ryder won New York State titles at 160 lb in 2022 and 189 lb in 2023. So he's grown quite a bit in the last year and may not be done, who knows? And, as you note, Ryder has a pretty thick build. Reminds me a little of Morgan McIntosh in that regard.

FWIW (perhaps not much), Ryder won New York State titles at 160 lb in 2022 and 189 lb in 2023. So he's grown quite a bit in the last year and may not be done, who knows? And, as you note, Ryder has a pretty thick build. Reminds me a little of Morgan McIntosh in that regard.
Was at 189 but didn’t weight anywhere near I believe. Was at 176 over the weekend.

The part of the interview where Larry Lee said his wife would never go back to a wrestling event is sad.
It's a sadness of their own making. 20 kids lose in the semifinals of the national tournament every year. This was the first parent freakout I've ever seen. Some of the criticism for ESPN is justified, but Mrs. Lee isn't blameless for her lack of self-control in a public setting. Playing the victim card at every opportunity does nothing to rebuild their image.

I'm with you on hoping Spencer is fully healthy in the future, and suffers no lingering effects from his injuries.

Yes, everyone piled on because he went to Iowa. We never rail on the mom who broke her glasses from Cornell, or the dad who got 22 minutes from Flo at NC State.

It's a sadness of their own making. 20 kids lose in the semifinals of the national tournament every year. This was the first parent freakout I've ever seen. Some of the criticism for ESPN is justified, but Mrs. Lee isn't blameless for her lack of self-control in a public setting. Playing the victim card at every opportunity does nothing to rebuild their image.

I'm with you on hoping Spencer is fully healthy in the future, and suffers no lingering effects from his injuries.
It’s like a Hollywood Diva that tries to control their image. Hard to do once you go outside your bubble and you are fair game.

Cody Goodwin, Tony Hager, Chad Leistikow and crew are never going to dig under the surface - nor will most of the non-Iowa wrestling press - so it takes a slip up in front of unbiased cameras to sometimes get a glimpse of what’s going on.

Full disclosure - I’m not going to listen to Lar blather on for 20 minutes, so haven’t listened to his coffee talk with CP.

It’s like a Hollywood Diva that tries to control their image. Hard to do once you go outside your bubble and you are fair game.

Cody Goodwin, Tony Hager, Chad Leistikow and crew are never going to dig under the surface - nor will most of the non-Iowa wrestling press - so it takes a slip up in front of unbiased cameras to sometimes get a glimpse of what’s going on.

Full disclosure - I’m not going to listen to Lar blather on for 20 minutes, so haven’t listened to his coffee talk with CP.
Imagine the reaction if Will Levis' dad did interviews explaining why his son fell in the draft. And the public reaction would be nothing compared to the locker room.

Levis is younger than Lee.

I really like Spencer. Great wrestler and seems like a good guy. But his (or his "team's") media strategy does him no favors outside of the hopelessly devoted Hawkeye fans.

It's hard to get the timeline 100% nailed down, but it seems like Spencer's dad gave the interview (which is unusual in and of itself) before any announcement that he was withdrawing and that the social media clips were posted right as that announcement was made, which would indicate some kind of coordinated effort between the Lees, HWC, and FLO.

If that kind of media partnership/effort is what they think is best long term, that's OK. But they (and all their fans) need to realize there's some significant downside to that.

I really like Spencer. Great wrestler and seems like a good guy. But his (or his "team's") media strategy does him no favors outside of the hopelessly devoted Hawkeye fans.

It's hard to get the timeline 100% nailed down, but it seems like Spencer's dad gave the interview (which is unusual in and of itself) before any announcement that he was withdrawing and that the social media clips were posted right as that announcement was made, which would indicate some kind of coordinated effort between the Lees, HWC, and FLO.

If that kind of media partnership/effort is what they think is best long term, that's OK. But they (and all their fans) need to realize there's some significant downside to that.
I think the term is collusion.

Reactions: District four
Iowa fans obviously want to condemn Starocci like it's equivalent with Spencer. You can hate his character (totally get why outsiders condemn it) but Starocci's track record is always wrestling back lol, he placed third twice in his 2 senior events.

I think the term is collusion.
I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong about it.

If the interest is in "growing the sport", there's a lot of upside - particularly from FLO's perspective - in Spencer Lee, The Superstar (TM). FLO gets access and the Lees get attention, and presumably some money.

The downside is when he doesn't perform to expectations, the reaction from most fans might not be "well, he tried his hardest and that's what really matters".

How is Bassett bullying "smaller" kids than him? Are they not in the same weight class? Or do you mean "stronger" instead?

How is Bassett bullying "smaller" kids than him? Are they not in the same weight class? Or do you mean "stronger" instead?
It's pretty documented Bassett has advanced training for his age ... and his dad is a certified trainer and has a gym designed to build muscle at a young age without stunting growth so he is likely stronger than the average 120 pounder. That being said, I've seen the kid respond really well to losses recently and I think taking these is good for him so he continues evolving. I'm more confident he's going to be great than burnt out, kid seems pretty self motivated as is. I also don't think he's hitting puberty earlier or anything since he still looks like a kid if anything.

Reactions: hlstone
The interview was odd. Not sure why it was needed and he really didn’t say what was wrong. I don’t like Iowa but I do feel bad for the Lee’s. The part of the interview where Larry Lee said his wife would never go back to a wrestling event is sad. God bless them. I can’t imagine Spencer continuing his career being so beat up. I am sure Gilman is disappointed he won’t get to wrestle him.
What was the Vegas odds on Zane Richards winning that weight?
"The part of the interview where Larry Lee said his wife would never go back to a wrestling event is sad."

What? Sad is correct, but you missed the reason. His mother no longer supports her son, that's why it's sad.

"I do feel bad for the Lee’s" Why? Because the great Spencer is the first athlete to fall short of their "dreams"! Cut everyone a break with that BS. Every time Spencer won a match someone's dreams got crushed.

Side note: How did Larry make that frown? Seriously, I tried to make a similar one and almost hurt myself.

Last edited:
I'm listening to the Larry Lee interview right now and can't decide what is more sad, him or Pyles' interviewing skills. Larry seems like he went to the Nick Suriano school of "Poor me, I'm the only one who has ever had to face adversity." Pyles seems incapable of just asking what Spencer's injury is.

Okay now I'm thinking Larry is more pathetic. He's saying his wife wasn't mad because Spencer lost, she was mad because of all the hard work Spencer put in. Apparently Ramos unjustly beat Spencer because he didn't work hard like Spencer did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT