ADVERTISEMENT

2023 US Open

If Spencer is Iowa's head coach Mrs. Lee will be attending the matches. She may bypass the PSU beatdown, but she will be there cheering her son's team.

If either Lee offspring has a wrestling offspring Mrs. Lee will be cheering on the grandchild.

Will "never" is a long time and during a "long" time circumstances change.

Spencer Lee: Excuses are for wusses!

Also Spencer Lee: Dad, I need you to do an interview with Pyles and make some excuses for me

Seriously though, his dad sounds just like a Brands. Lots of words but nothing substantive other than that Spencer is a victim and nobody understands how tough it is to be him. It's good he didn't come to PSU because Cael and Co. never would have put up with egos like this. I remember Bo Phifer wrestling Nolf is the Scuffle finals and Jason didn't cry about not getting the forfeit. This year Bartlett wrestled Evans and Bearclaw wrestled Haines and there were no tears. Even at the open we saw Bartlett and Lee and you didn't hear anything from anybody. The Lees want some sort of special treatment and that's not how it is in wrestling.

#1 demise of kids sports are the parents and overzealous coaches are #2. This is college, professional in most aspects, and there is no room for parents unless it is a history story of sorts. Life is ahead of most of these young men and the parents should stay out of the way while providing support.

It's been over a month. The obsession about Spencer here is weird and frankly pathetic. You guys talk about him twice as much as HR.
I might not use the word pathetic, but I agree it’s weird.

Honestly though, I think the family needs a publicist to advise them. Spencer set himself up for criticism when he gave an interview to show he doesn’t care what people think, and spent the interview discussing what people think. And then the totally unnecessary Lar interview. They really just need a handy binder—these kind of self-owns are entirely avoidable with some decent advice.

It's been over a month. The obsession about Spencer here is weird and frankly pathetic. You guys talk about him twice as much as HR.
It a month if you forget about the US Open and Larry LLLLLLee having to do his adult son's talking for him. Time goes by fast in Iowa.

Reactions: danoftw
Between his Barstool interview, him forfeiting out in the semis of the US Open and then his dad doing an interview on him, plenty to talk about with him tbh.

Reactions: Sullivan and Ski
"The part of the interview where Larry Lee said his wife would never go back to a wrestling event is sad."

What? Sad is correct, but you missed the reason. His mother no longer supports her son, that's why it's sad.

"I do feel bad for the Lee’s" Why? Because the great Spencer is the first athlete to fall short of their "dreams"! Cut everyone a break with that BS. Every time Spencer won a match someone's dreams got crushed.

Side note: How did Larry make that frown? Seriously, I tried to make a similar one and almost hurt myself.
It's all about perspective !

1. Spencer Lee is the biggest star in NCAA wrestling.
2. Spencer being upset was the biggest story of the 2023 NCAA Championships
3. Spencer withdraws into a news void. People are going to chirp.
4. Things pretty much died down, and Spencer enters The U.S. Open
5. Spencer withdraws before the most anticipated match of the Open
6. Larry Lee gives a weird as shit interview where he talks about their family's problems with no specifics on why Spencer withdrew (re-aggravated injury, new injury, just not feeling it, etc...)

Of course people are commenting about it here. It's a giant Spencer Lee pinata asking to be smacked around. No one is talking about it on HR because 99% of people wish the subject would just go away. And it was, but the Lee family hoisted the pinata and passed out bats. What did they expect? These are self inflicted wounds. The story was all but dead.

6. Larry Lee gives a weird as shit interview where he talks about their family's problems with no specifics on why Spencer withdrew (re-aggravated injury, new injury, just not feeling it, etc...)

Of course people are commenting about it here. It's a giant Spencer Lee pinata asking to be smacked around. No one is talking about it on HR because 99% of people wish the subject would just go away. And it was, but the Lee family hoisted the pinata and passed out bats. What did they expect? These are self inflicted wounds. The story was all but dead.
7. Iowa poster injects Spencer Lee into unrelated discussion. Other Iowa poster objects to Spencer Lee discussion.

"Coming up...our exclusive interview with Larry Lee wondering why everyone in the wrestling world keeps talking about his son."

And when is comes to disappointments, Dan Jansen say's hold my beer.
He lost his beloved sister hours before his race. They showed him slipping and falling hundreds of times for years, and continue to do so until this day. It took him 8 years and another Olympic kick in the ass in between, but he got his gold medal. All that and I have no idea what Dan's father even looks like.

I've been trying to think of a situation where a parent was "speaking for" a grown athlete. Tiger Woods comes to mind, though I'm not sure that analogy is kind to the Lees. The Williams sisters maybe? I'm sure there are others--it does happen. Sometimes, families are just really tight units. Still not smart from a messaging perspective.

And when is comes to disappointments, Dan Jansen say's hold my beer.
He lost his beloved sister hours before his race. They showed him slipping and falling hundreds of times for years, and continue to do so until this day. It took him 8 years and another Olympic kick in the ass in between, but he got his gold medal. All that and I have no idea what Dan's father even looks like.
That moment does two things to me:
1. Makes me cry
2. Makes me play the Morgan Freeman narration in my head

I've been trying to think of a situation where a parent was "speaking for" a grown athlete. Tiger Woods comes to mind, though I'm not sure that analogy is kind to the Lees. The Williams sisters maybe? I'm sure there are others--it does happen. Sometimes, families are just really tight units. Still not smart from a messaging perspective.
Lavar Ball

PD2?

I'm pretty sure that Secretariat's owner did all the talking even when Secretariat was fully grown. 😁

Eric Lindros. Lindros is the closest comp to Spencer in the sports world in my lifetime in a lot of ways.

Reactions: goldenanimal
All the premature GOAT talk brings animated replies. I’m not sure SL ever made such a proclamation, but, his fans, coaches, and adoring media puppets certainly did make the claim. Retribution is best served cold.

Yeah but his daddy never said a word!!
giphy.gif

Nah, Spencer actually won something.
Internationally, Lindros represented Canada at the World Junior Championships three times (1990, 1991 and 1992), winning gold medals in 1990 and 1991. He was Canada's all-time points leader at the World Junior Championships with 31 points until surpassed by Connor Bedard in 2023, five points ahead of Jordan Eberle and Brayden Schenn. Lindros has also represented Canada's senior team at the World Hockey Championships, leading the squad in scoring at the 1993 tournament. In Olympic play, Lindros represented Canada three times (1992, 1998 and 2002), winning a silver medal in 1992 and gold in 2002.

I’ve posted and then deleted a few posts on Spencer. I don’t want to pile on. But I also want to share.

It’s very obvious that the Lee’s (or at least the Lee parents) are hurting. And for that alone, I feel terrible for them. No matter what I think about anything else, I hate to witness their obvious pain. It tugs at my heartstrings as a father, husband and son.

I continue to think Mom Lee should be off limits. Never before have I seen a mom’s reaction to her (adult) child’s loss in any sport filmed. Hope to never see it again. We all love / loved our Mom’s right? Off-limits IMHO.

But I’m not stupid enough to think everyone shares my views.

Again, I don’t want to pile on a clearly hurting Dad Lee. The fact that he felt the urge to request that interview tells me how bad he’s hurting. I didn’t watch but a few mins. Didn’t care for the “we” he used and tried not to use in those few minutes and decided it wasn’t going to do me any good to watch any more of it. I’ve never walked a mile in his shoes, so who am I to judge?

Spencer is a 24 year old professional athlete at or near the top of his sport. What he does is going to be talked about. Dissected even.

Will Levis, 23, was already mentioned. Media and social media were not kind to him last week.

LeBron was 25 when he was called a quitter in the Eastern Conference Finals and then destroyed a few months later for The Decision.

Remember Christian Laettner? My goodness, they sold tee-shirts, tons of them, saying the wearer hated him. While he was still in college. Booed him relentlessly too.

It’s wrong, but this is how America treats its star athletes.

I hope we all reach the point, soon, where we can talk about and dissect Spencer’s performances like any other senior level freestyle wrestler without mentioning the parents. At this point, though, the parents have a role in allowing that to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fatmarc
JS - I am really starting to feel bad for you on this one. "It's been over a month.... ". REALLY? Not only is that stoakng the coals in the wrong fire, but it's as if you have no introspection when typing something so idiotic.

It's seems you are in for an very uncomfortable period my friend. How long is unknown, but it won't be brief. Maybe I can help, probably not. I remember some Steelers missques like a punt return after a penalty vs New England that probably cost them a trip to the Superbowl, that hung with me for years, until I matured and got a much stronger sense of the greatest perspective, especially as this applies to what are just games. I hope your journey there is quicker.

Some self reflection is in order, before helping the rest of the wrestling world getting over it's "obsession" with Spencer Lee.

When you think about it, it's been 50 years, and Dan Gable's last match is still brought up here an there on the all of the more prominent boards and venues, at least every now and then. I am sorry my friend but this one ain't just going away, and Spencer did it twice to help reinforce the point.

I first heard of Spencer when he was still a freshman in highschool, and my fandom was brought to a crescendo that came crashing down with the revelation he chose Iowa. I remained a fan, granted less emotionally involved with that decision.

Spencer was and remains arguably the most prominent and provactaive (in some respects) 'personality' in folkstyle wrestling over the past couple of decades, more so than Gable S, Yanni, DT, and other GOATS, with better records by the way. Some of this due to a carefully crafted Rambo like persona. No doubt he is incredibly 'navy seal' like tough. What he has accomplished and what he has overcome is truly amazing.

However, when his very words result in the printing of Tee shirts, one can start to see the persona out pace the real thing. "Excuses are for wusses" probably can be copyrighted back to Spencer, if that hasn't already happened. You can't walk that kind of thing back, and that magical very public proclamation is as indelibly etched in the minds of wrestling fans, as much so is his mom's unfortunate meme. Both now are part of the Spencer Lee experience forever. Just as Tiger Wood's 7 iron to the head from his wife, remains at the forefront along with every Master's victory. For some the 7 Iron episode may be that very first thought when you hear the name Tiger Woods. Fair? Certainly not. 'With great power comes great responsibility'. You can't simply walk back the stuff that bites you in the ass when you walk in the spotlight.

Spencer gave credit where credit is due of course to Ramos which was excellent, but he and his surrogates have also continued to reinforce the notion he is injured and not 100%. So even though Ramos earned it, a fully healthy Spencer would have easily taken him out. Probably so. Personally I don't think he has been 100% his whole college career, certainly this past year he was far from optimal. I also think he came back too early, and should have taken a medical.

That said he has pulled all excuses off the table with his famous words. His even allowing his father to go out with this interview in an attempt to do god knows what, was simply foolish. Bailing out on two straight tourneys was both a bad idea and a bad look, probably not quite as bad on the idea front of having ever entered them in the first place.

Unfortunately for Spencer and his legacy, being a 4xer in the State and then Nationally is not his truth, not his story. A testment in some respects to just how difficult that achievement is, even if someone like Yanni got there via a seemingly less spectacular path. I also think it dissrespectful and disingenuous to think this Spencer Lee would have and should have been a 4xer and arguably the GOAT if not for Covid. This claims he is good enough for the 'label' in the face of this year's failure, but no matter it would have been good enough for them since this year should never have never happened?

Could Spencer have been good enough to get there? Given the right timing and circumstances I think Spencer had the foundation to have gone both undefeated and be a 4xer, but those same circumstances coupled with the decisions he made, eliminated both possibilities.

So back to 'it's been a month'.... In my youth my obsession and fervor for the Steelers was very intense and as a result unhealthy. For more than a decade, when they lost and it affected my life far too materially. When I was really young, I used to go to the games with my dad, and not so many years later after he died, that team served as my strongest connection to him in those days.

Today there are parts of me where I am still the same little kid who had to stand on the seat just to get a glimpse over the heads of the fans in front to experience glimpses of Franco Harris's immaculate reception live and in person with my dad. Today when they win, I really appreciate it, but when they lose it doesn't bother me so much. It's part of the game, and I no longer let games hold so much power over me.

Wrestling is just a game, and there has only been one to never lose. Only one, Nonetheless, all wins and losses are indelibly recorded in history. They can not be altered, asterisked, or obliterated. Spencer will forever be amongst a forever growing collection of the many 3xers. Here's a secret, every 3xer has a woulda, coulda, shoulda story that makes them a 4xer, the line between 3 and 4 is both razor thin and as wide as the grand canyon at the same time.

Bo Nickal tosses Miles to his back for what should be a 6 point lead or maybe fall like in their prior match, only to have Miles roll though for his own 6. A 12 point swing in the blink of an eye, which ended up being much larger than the difference in that championship match. Bo shoulda been a 4xer. He was certainly a LOT closer than Spencer. That said, he's not, Bo is one hell of a 3xer and he and his fans bask in that achievement. None of us fans look at Bo as if that loss signaled his failure. When I look at Bo and Yanni, I am confident today Bo is the better wrestler. Does being a 2xer or 3xer or 4xer matter that much? Not unless that's how you choose to define the person. Who doesn't think DT isn't one of the best wrestlers on this planet? Does it really matter he only got 2 instead of 4? It certainly doesn't matter to me when I see those gold medals around his neck.

At the end of the day Spencer got 3, at his peak he was the best 125 lber I have ever seen. I hope his knees are up to the challenge of putting him on a path to a World or Olympic gold. From where I stand I have doubts about both.

In the end, there can be no regrets. Sure he lost two of the biggest matches in his life, as did David Taylor. Don't let those matches define him in your mind. People will talk about those matches and some of his failures for years to come.

Thinking the bad will just fade away in a month is just plain silly. Don't wait for HVI to move on, you should do so first.

PS - that has to be my longest one. To those who made it though, we need to talk about Internet addiction. Noone sits on the toilet that long without the wife banging on the door.

Unless they go to Iowa. Then the board can pile on as much as they want if a parent breaks their glasses or gives an interview to Flo about their sons injury status.

THATS how you describe what Spencer’s Mom did? “Broke her glasses”?

She had an absolute meltdown, temper tantrum, and behaved like a spoiled 8 year old denied a lollipop. And ripped apart her glasses with her bare hands in a way no one on any wrestling forum (or watching ESPN) has ever seen before.

And all she had to do to recover from was day “wow, did I lose it like a fool”. Instead… she’s a victim,

Nah, Spencer actually won something.
Yeah, that’s the one glaring difference, although Spencer never won as much as he was expected. There are far more similarities:

1. Generational talent, “face” of the sport, with all time great expectations from a young age
2. Never fully achieved expectations
3. Chronic injuries detailed career at peak
4. Failure in the biggest moments
5. Overbearing, attention seeking parents

JS - I am really starting to feel bad for you on this one. "It's been over a month.... ". REALLY? Not only is that stoakng the coals in the wrong fire, but it's as if you have no introspection when typing something so idiotic.

It's seems you are in for an very uncomfortable period my friend. How long is unknown, but it won't be brief. Maybe I can help, probably not. I remember some Steelers missques like a punt return after a penalty vs New England that probably cost them a trip to the Superbowl, that hung with me for years, until I matured and got a much stronger sense of the greatest perspective, especially as this applies to what are just games. I hope your journey there is quicker.

Some self reflection is in order, before helping the rest of the wrestling world getting over it's "obsession" with Spencer Lee.

When you think about it, it's been 50 years, and Dan Gable's last match is still brought up here an there on the all of the more prominent boards and venues, at least every now and then. I am sorry my friend but this one ain't just going away, and Spencer did it twice to help reinforce the point.

I first heard of Spencer when he was still a freshman in highschool, and my fandom was brought to a crescendo that came crashing down with the revelation he chose Iowa. I remained a fan, granted less emotionally involved with that decision.

Spencer was and remains arguably the most prominent and provactaive (in some respects) 'personality' in folkstyle wrestling over the past couple of decades, more so than Gable S, Yanni, DT, and other GOATS, with better records by the way. Some of this due to a carefully crafted Rambo like persona. No doubt he is incredibly 'navy seal' like tough. What he has accomplished and what he has overcome is truly amazing.

However, when his very words result in the printing of Tee shirts, one can start to see the persona out pace the real thing. "Excuses are for wusses" probably can be copyrighted back to Spencer, if that hasn't already happened. You can't walk that kind of thing back, and that magical very public proclamation is as indelibly etched in the minds of wrestling fans, as much so is his mom's unfortunate meme. Both now are part of the Spencer Lee experience forever. Just as Tiger Wood's 7 iron to the head from his wife, remains at the forefront along with every Master's victory. For some the 7 Iron episode may be that very first thought when you hear the name Tiger Woods. Fair? Certainly not. 'With great power comes great responsibility'. You can't simply walk back the stuff that bites you in the ass when you walk in the spotlight.

Spencer gave credit where credit is due of course to Ramos which was excellent, but he and his surrogates have also continued to reinforce the notion he is injured and not 100%. So even though Ramos earned it, a fully healthy Spencer would have easily taken him out. Probably so. Personally I don't think he has been 100% his whole college career, certainly this past year he was far from optimal. I also think he came back too early, and should have taken a medical.

That said he has pulled all excuses off the table with his famous words. His even allowing his father to go out with this interview in an attempt to do god knows what, was simply foolish. Bailing out on two straight tourneys was both a bad idea and a bad look, probably not quite as bad on the idea front of having ever entered them in the first place.

Unfortunately for Spencer and his legacy, being a 4xer in the State and then Nationally is not his truth, not his story. A testment in some respects to just how difficult that achievement is, even if someone like Yanni got there via a seemingly less spectacular path. I also think it dissrespectful and disingenuous to think this Spencer Lee would have and should have been a 4xer and arguably the GOAT if not for Covid. This claims he is good enough for the 'label' in the face of this year's failure, but no matter it would have been good enough for them since this year should never have never happened?

Could Spencer have been good enough to get there? Given the right timing and circumstances I think Spencer had the foundation to have gone both undefeated and be a 4xer, but those same circumstances coupled with the decisions he made, eliminated both possibilities.

So back to 'it's been a month'.... In my youth my obsession and fervor for the Steelers was very intense and as a result unhealthy. For more than a decade, when they lost and it affected my life far too materially. When I was really young, I used to go to the games with my dad, and not so many years later after he died, that team served as my strongest connection to him in those days.

Today there are parts of me where I am still the same little kid who had to stand on the seat just to get a glimpse over the heads of the fans in front to experience glimpses of Franco Harris's immaculate reception live and in person with my dad. Today when they win, I really appreciate it, but when they lose it doesn't bother me so much. It's part of the game, and I no longer let games hold so much power over me.

Wrestling is just a game, and there has only been one to never lose. Only one, Nonetheless, all wins and losses are indelibly recorded in history. They can not be altered, asterisked, or obliterated. Spencer will forever be amongst a forever growing collection of the many 3xers. Here's a secret, every 3xer has a woulda, coulda, shoulda story that makes them a 4xer, the line between 3 and 4 is both razor thin and as wide as the grand canyon at the same time.

Bo Nickal tosses Miles to his back for what should be a 6 point lead or maybe fall like in their prior match, only to have Miles roll though for his own 6. A 12 point swing in the blink of an eye, which ended up being much larger than the difference in that championship match. Bo shoulda been a 4xer. He was certainly a LOT closer than Spencer. That said, he's not, Bo is one hell of a 3xer and he and his fans bask in that achievement. None of us fans look at Bo as if that loss signaled his failure. When I look at Bo and Yanni, I am confident today Bo is the better wrestler. Does being a 2xer or 3xer or 4xer matter that much? Not unless that's how you choose to define the person. Who doesn't think DT isn't one of the best wrestlers on this planet? Does it really matter he only got 2 instead of 4? It certainly doesn't matter to me when I see those gold medals around his neck.

At the end of the day Spencer got 3, at his peak he was the best 125 lber I have ever seen. I hope his knees are up to the challenge of putting him on a path to a World or Olympic gold. From where I stand I have doubts about both.

In the end, there can be no regrets. Sure he lost two of the biggest matches in his life, as did David Taylor. Don't let those matches define him in your mind. People will talk about those matches and some of his failures for years to come.

Thinking the bad will just fade away in a month is just plain silly. Don't wait for HVI to move on, you should do so first.

PS - that has to be my longest one. To those who made it though, we need to talk about Internet addiction. Noone sits on the toilet that long without the wife banging on the door.
Sounds like the knee rehab is coming along ok! 👍

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT