ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA's - Match/discussion threads (merged)

Agree. I don't mean to be a smart a$$ with my statement. PSU always had a strong wrestling history. Imo could have been better that's all. You mentioned the Fitz situation. Was one of the incidents having to do with wrestlers riding the luggage conveyers at an airport?lol. I assume Fritz's situation was more than that. WE ARE!!!
I have a HS friend who is a professor in the finance department at Penn State. He’s also a big wrestling fan. He told me a long time ago that Fritz made the mistake of being too chummy with the wrestlers. Having a close relationship with the guys is important, but at times, the head coach has to be the head coach. That includes setting boundaries for everyone and not encouraging behavior that can lead to discipline problems.

Everyone says that Fritz was a great coach and really well liked. He just made the mistake of forgetting that he was no longer a college student athlete.

Will be astonished if Carter beats both former champs today.
Far from hate, it’s acknowledgment of what doing so in his altered state of health/conditioning would be . . . astonishing.
Can’t recall if such a single day combo has ever been done at NCAA’s. Can’t imagine a fiercer competitor who could pull it off.
Griffith did not look good at the end of his match. Maybe he’s just not hiding it like CS. He’s certainly not jogging off the mat.

Definitely whatever he has trained with and used to compete in Day 1, he should change that for Day 2 with no additional training or opportunity to adjust.
Considering that he is wrestling at 50, 60, 70, 80 or 90 percent based on message board observers, a change in brace could ge thim to wrestle at 55, 65, 75, 85 or even 95 percent. But anything greater than a 72% Carter has a 96% chance to be a 110% Lewis as long as he weighs in at the 99th percentile. Of course all said in jest to point out the silliness of the observer evaluating athletic performance percentage.

Considering that he is wrestling at 50, 60, 70, 80 or 90 percent based on message board observers, a change in brace could ge thim to wrestle at 55, 65, 75, 85 or even 95 percent. But anything greater than a 72% Carter has a 96% chance to be a 110% Lewis as long as he weighs in at the 99th percentile. Of course all said in jest to point out the silliness of the observer evaluating athletic performance percentage.
That was the same poster who said Carter should've wrestled at B10s to boost his conditioning.

Reactions: ikS and backdrft76
We sent practically my whole wrestling team to Fitz's camp in the early 80's. My kids loved him, and he loved the kids.

Prior to Cael's coming, a lot of people felt PSU was never as strong as it should have been. We knew PA was the center of wrestling in the USA. Tracking AA's, just like this year and starting in the 80's, PA had the most AA's of any state, usually by a lot. And yet, at Nationals, PSU was never quite there. I was among those who believed that if PSU could convince PA wrestlers to stay home, they'd become a reliable national power. Then Cael came and PSU became the ONLY national power. I'll admit, that wasn't on my radar.

re: wrestling from knees
I won two of my biggest bouts in college when my opponents went to their knees from neutral. When they did that I hit them with a front-on rush, bowling them over backwards for 2. I felt they didn't have a strong enough base when they went to their knees. And I confirmed that by a frontal attack. One disclaimer: in both instances, the other kid's knees went into my stomach as he went back, and I was gasping for breath for about an hour after my bouts. You take the bitter with the batter.

Good Morning Gentlemen. Hoping everyone is bright eyed this morning with some lead left in the pencil. Had to go to job for an hour this morning but back wearing out the couch. Give em hell fellas!

Far from hate, it’s acknowledgment of what doing so in his altered state of health/conditioning would be . . . astonishing.
Can’t recall if such a single day combo has ever been done at NCAA’s. Can’t imagine a fiercer competitor who could pull it off.
Lewis the real test. Griffith is just as injured as Starocci.

I agree.......but I took another look at the bracket and that seeding is a disgrace! The bottom half is weak, and then they stuff 3 former champs in the top. Really disappointing. Carter is a warrior....I hope he can overcome.

Let’s Roll!!!
Nicolas Cage Ok GIF

re: wrestling from knees
I won two of my biggest bouts in college when my opponents went to their knees from neutral. When they did that I hit them with a front-on rush, bowling them over backwards for 2. I felt they didn't have a strong enough base when they went to their knees. And I confirmed that by a frontal attack.
Absolutely agree. My experience is that when a wrestler drops down to one or two knees, there is a split second opportunity where they are not completely stabilized. If you can catch them at that point with a hard backwards push, they'll go over.

Good Morning Gentlemen. Hoping everyone is bright eyed this morning with some lead left in the pencil. Had to go to job for an hour this morning but back wearing out the couch. Give em hell fellas!
Just make sure our lumber supplies keep coming! 😁

Reactions: 1AA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT