ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA's - Match/discussion threads (merged)

I'm in the same boat. Need some kind of miracle from Mr. Monthley.

limping ralph macchio GIF
Speaking of Dan Monthley, I heard JB on Lionvision saying many times during yesterday's action that Dr. ? was in the Penn State corner. I never heard him mention Dan. So what's the deal...is Dan there or not and who is this other doctor?

Didn't Ramos squeak bye uninpressively

And we had to wait until Cael came along to capitalize on the gold mine in PA.
Yes and no. Cael definitely kick-started the dynasty with PA wrestlers.

But it's been a national program for 2 full 4-year cycles now, with more than half starters from out of state and many from states that do not border PA. Even this year, 4 of the qualifiers are from PA, and it would be 3 if Van Ness weren't injured.

Also, some of PA's best in this tournament committed elsewhere for various reasons: Crookham, Hidlay, Ruth, Pinto, Feldman, etc. Somehow we've overcome this.

We are also doing a far better job of recruiting PA for quality depth.

Speaking of Dan Monthley, I heard JB on Lionvision saying many times during yesterday's action that Dr. ? was in the Penn State corner. I never heard him mention Dan. So what's the deal...is Dan there or not and who is this other doctor?
he was there all day.

Reactions: railbirrd
Maybe he's wearing a heavier brace as a precaution and his corner knew he could beat those opponents with a restricted range of motion. Maybe he'll go to a lighter neoprene brace now that he's wrestling #1.
I seriously doubt the brace is the problem.

Much more likely instability, lack of strength, pain, and especially lack of confidence and trust. Here to hoping he make gains in the final two over night.

Honestly up by 10, 10 alive is fantastic day 1. Trip up by Kasak and Nagao but they're refocused.

The day really only is dampened by the reality Carter isn't near his best self and you hate it for him at this point of his career more than anything else.
I was a bit shook when Rutgers Brian Soldano got injured (mat 8 during first round). His reaction reminded me of Adam Taliaferro (when the arm came up). Turns out, Soldano was treated at the hospital and released yesterday. It was a concussion and spinal contusion, FYI. Prayers that all wrestlers finish this tournament healthy.

Maybe he's wearing a heavier brace as a precaution and his corner knew he could beat those opponents with a restricted range of motion. Maybe he'll go to a lighter neoprene brace now that he's wrestling #1.
Definitely whatever he has trained with and used to compete in Day 1, he should change that for Day 2 with no additional training or opportunity to adjust.

I thought ALL wrestling starts at noon? or do concys start earlier before quarterfinals?
All wrestling at noon, two rounds of consis and one champ round this morning. And champ round losers drop to consi tonight

I assume dedicated mats but not sure how they break them up, first rounds of champs have 4 bouts per weight, first round of consi is 8, followed by 4

Reactions: Dogwelder
I was a bit shook when Rutgers Brian Soldano got injured (mat 8 during first round). His reaction reminded me of Adam Taliaferro (when the arm came up). Turns out, Soldano was treated at the hospital and released yesterday. It was a concussion and spinal contusion, FYI. Prayers that all wrestlers finish this tournament healthy.
Thanks for the update. I was wondering if anything had been released. He was down a long time and not moving his legs. Scary stuff!

Reactions: railbirrd
It look as tho Carter was in control and not in danger of losing those 2 matches. Did what.he needed. If Lewis goes balls to the wall tomorrow it could be trouble but that is not the Lewis I have seen this year. Riding is going to be huge and stall calls could come into play late 3rd period. Carter couldn't have better people I'm his camp for this weekend.

Part of it was likely mat rust due to limited work over the last four weeks while allowing the injury to heal. And I have to think, no matter what he may say or not say publicly, the fact that he was injured has to prey on his mind to one extent or another. He certainly doesn't want a repetition of what happened a month ago and, if he's truly fully confident in a fully healthy knee, what useful purpose might all the extra leg protection serve?
Wondering if the memory of the All Star match in December preys on Mekhi's mind...in a negative or a positive way. Will it cause Mekhi to wrestle more aggressive or "the same?"

And I know people like to complain, but do we really need 50 comments about how bad the ESPN announcers are when there is a perfectly good alternative in JB? But I guess people are going to complain no matter what….
Murphys law- if you try to please everybody nobody will like it

Reactions: mcpat
I live about an hour north of Boone and get down to see Appy two or three times each winter. Great little town, very sports oriented and good bars. SoCon wrestling can be surprisingly good at times.
Yeah, like Boone, reminds me a bit of a smaller State College, PA.

Are you in NC or over toward VA and TN?

Carter looks like he is 50%. If true he will not beat Lewis. Hopefully he was just taking at easy as possible in his first 2 bouts.,
I'm not.gettimg what others are laying down. I think Carter is fine and will win a close one. He's not all there but 50% is a stretch in my opinion. He's a warrior and we all need that story to play out. Imagine that recruiting line after winning nationals. Goooooo carter

And I know people like to complain, but do we really need 50 comments about how bad the ESPN announcers are when there is a perfectly good alternative in JB? But I guess people are going to complain no matter what….
For those who choose to punish themselves by watching ESPNU, we don't need constant reminders of how persecuted you feel.
I was hoping DC would be back this year and I'm glad he is. I can see all 8 mats for myself. I don't need some old school play by play guy trying to describe the action for me. I like the conversation and banter between DC and Rock with Kenney chiming in occasionaly with match details. I even enjoyed Chael and Sparks when they were together earlier.

I seriously doubt the brace is the problem.

Much more likely instability, lack of strength, pain, and especially lack of confidence and trust.

IMO, these have to be the first full-gas live goes for Carter since the injury. He undoubtedly pushes it and tests his knee strength in practice and training, but that can't duplicate the intensity of an actual match where the guy he's wrestling wants to tear his leg off and earn his street creds by beating a legend.

I expect him to do just enough to win throughout the tourney, whatever that looks like against each opponent.

All wrestling at noon, two rounds of consis and one champ round this morning. And champ round losers drop to consi tonight

I assume dedicated mats but not sure how they break them up, first rounds of champs have 4 bouts per weight, first round of consi is 8, followed by 4
Same as last night. Consis on mats 1,2,7,8. Quarterfinals mats 3-6.

Reactions: LOTOlion
Why would anyone have ESPN volume past 0 anyway? ESPN video and Byers on the
And I know people like to complain, but do we really need 50 comments about how bad the ESPN announcers are when there is a perfectly good alternative in JB? But I guess people are going to complain no matter whcall. That is the only way that I have watched any PSU matches for years.

Why would anyone have volume above 0 for ESPN or even BIG10 tv when you have Byers audio.? That is the only way that I have watched PSU wrestling for many years.

Not sure I agree with that, Spiedell, Koll, Lorenzo and Fitz consistently had PSU in the hunt at Nationals and produced a lot of AAs and Champs. It wasn't until Sunderland that the program took a huge dropoff Nationally. Fitz was coach when PSU began wrestling in B1G and he did quite well actually - if I remember correctly, they fired him because of some incidents involving wrestlers and they felt he did not run a tight enough ship in regards to his athletes behavior on campus.
Agree. I don't mean to be a smart a$$ with my statement. PSU always had a strong wrestling history. Imo could have been better that's all. You mentioned the Fitz situation. Was one of the incidents having to do with wrestlers riding the luggage conveyers at an airport?lol. I assume Fritz's situation was more than that. WE ARE!!!

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I'm not.gettimg what others are laying down. I think Carter is fine and will win a close one. He's not all there but 50% is a stretch in my opinion. He's a warrior and we all need that story to play out. Imagine that recruiting line after winning nationals. Goooooo carter

Same. I just mentioned this in yesterday's thread, but my thought is that these matches are the first live goes for Carter since the injury where he's facing opponents who actually want to rip his leg off and be able to claim they beat the legendary CStar.

What he's been doing in practice can't duplicate that intensity, so I suspect he's still testing out his limits and that he will do just enough this weekend to win each match.

Will be astonished if Carter beats both former champs today.
Far from hate, it’s acknowledgment of what doing so in his altered state of health/conditioning would be . . . astonishing.
Can’t recall if such a single day combo has ever been done at NCAA’s. Can’t imagine a fiercer competitor who could pull it off.

• Wow
Reactions: Dogwelder
As for consis, by the end of tonight the consi semis will be set, as will the 7th/8th matchups. So guys like Kasak and Nagao will have to wrestle 4 times today to get to consi semis tomorrow morning.

Will be astonished if Carter beats both former champs today.
Far from hate, it’s acknowledgment of what doing so in his altered state of health/conditioning would be . . . astonishing.
Can’t recall if such a single day combo has ever been done at NCAA’s. Can’t imagine a fiercer competitor who could pull it off.
50 pushups for you after each Carter front-side win the rest of the tournament! 😀

Not sure I agree with that, Spiedell, Koll, Lorenzo and Fitz consistently had PSU in the hunt at Nationals and produced a lot of AAs and Champs. It wasn't until Sunderland that the program took a huge dropoff Nationally. Fitz was coach when PSU began wrestling in B1G and he did quite well actually - if I remember correctly, they fired him because of some incidents involving wrestlers and they felt he did not run a tight enough ship in regards to his athletes behavior on campus.
From 1990-99, PSU placed 6, 3, 3, 2, 3, 5, 4, 10, 4 and 4 at NCAAs. Not exactly mediocrity. My recollection was that Fritz was looking at hip surgery and didn't feel he would be able to coach any longer. So he was planning to resign. We had this discussion with him at Lehigh his last season. If that was just the "official" line, idk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT