ADVERTISEMENT

Do we go to #2?

And that's the difference...you don't worry about games you're the far superior team...upsets happen but this is a game we should expect to dominate.
I'm still confused why this fan base hates expectations. Wisconsin isn't great in any aspect of the game. Their run game is mid, their passing game is awful and their defense is at best average. The only spot they might have an advantage over us is ST.
We will similar to the WVU game.
Also 30% means we should win...pretty easily...especially on the road.
Do you think Franklin, or any coach or player on the team, feel the same way you do? That is exactly how USC felt going to Minnesota.

If this season has taught us anything it’s that ANYTHING can happen. And you should NEVER take ANY opponent for granted.

You like to talk about betting and expectations. For a 70% bet, a real professional gambler would hedge a 70% bet and not assume it’s a lock. Because 30% of the time he will lose.

Do you think Franklin, or any coach or player on the team, feel the same way you do? That is exactly how USC felt going to Minnesota.

If this season has taught us anything it’s that ANYTHING can happen. And you should NEVER take ANY opponent for granted.

You like to talk about betting and expectations. For a 70% bet, a real professional gambler would hedge a 70% bet and not assume it’s a lock. Because 30% of the time he will lose.
Yes, Franklin and the players accept they're supposed to win these games. They comprehend they're a TD favorite against Wisconsin and losing isn't acceptable.
Expectations isn't "taking a team for granted"--of course upsets happen.
We're heavy favorites--anyone "worried" isn't accepting that we're a top 5 team--which we are
Wisconsin is on par with WVU--we saw how that went.

That is exactly how USC felt going to Minnesota.

Says who? How do you know they didn't take them VERY seriously and still didn't play well or otherwise come out on top?

Regardless, all of this stuff is silly. Lando wants to be extremist, edgy and talk in absolutist terms, and others want to pretend how they feel or talk about a game/opponent has some effect on the outcome.

Most folks agree that we should win this, but are aware anything can happen. However you want to deal with that in your noggin ... you do you. It doesn't mean anyone is looking past anyone or that this is a sure thing and if you think otherwise, you're a coward (a Lando favorite).

Sure, there are a select few who hate Franklin to the point where they'd paint us as an underdog against a HS team, but other than that, I think we all basically feel the same, but we want to express it in different ways.

Reactions: JR4PSU and PSU4U
Agree but it really doesn't matter. If we win out we'll get a first-round bye. If we lose to tOSU only, we'll get a good home game against a lower-ranked team. The point is, we need to just keep winning. The rest will take care of itself.

What is interesting is that Alamama may not make the playoffs or Ole Miss. USC is toast. Washington is toast. Michigan is toast.

It is a new day and the door is wide open for PSU. Can we walk it in?
Would be nice to get that home game but it seems we have to lose a game?

Reactions: Obliviax
Always remember that a 1 loss SEC team is always better than an unbeaten PSU team, but a 1 loss PSU team would never be ranked above an unbeaten SEC team
I don't deny some bias towards the SEC, but I think PSU's lack of a signature win is the reason Georgia is ahead of us. USC could have been that win, but they're not that good. I believe that if we beat OSU, we'll deserve to be ranked ahead of UGA, maybe Oregon.

That's assuming a win in Madison, which I am not prepared to do. This season, more than most, has reminded me that anything can happen. DA grew up some against USC. I hope that fire he showed is contagious. And the defense has to improve. Tackling was pretty awful against USC.

Reactions: bdroc
LSU was so lucky to beat Ole Miss. They will lose to A&M and Bama and not make the playoff.
LSU may sneak in at 10-2 as they have a legit QB whereas A&M doesn't they definitely escaped Ole Miss. There's no way they can be above Texas currently. He's saying that IMO to try to make USC better than they are.

I don't deny some bias towards the SEC, but I think PSU's lack of a signature win is the reason Georgia is ahead of us. USC could have been that win, but they're not that good. I believe that if we beat OSU, we'll deserve to be ranked ahead of UGA, maybe Oregon.

That's assuming a win in Madison, which I am not prepared to do. This season, more than most, has reminded me that anything can happen. DA grew up some against USC. I hope that fire he showed is contagious. And the defense has to improve. Tackling was pretty awful against USC.
FWIW, my comment is not because I think PSU is #2(I don't). It's because these polls are F'ing stupid nonsense. If UGAs win over #1 Tex was good that it warranted jumping UGA above a 0 loss team, then logically, Tex shouldn't have been dropped below PSU either.
The voters have rules that they follow, almost religiously (see Miami at #7) until they don't like the outcome of their rules.

Rules:
-Bias toward #of losses - PSU didn't lose, so they didn't drop. Same with OSU
-Tex lost so they dropped. Due to rule #1, they had to go to 5.

The rules would result in 3 B2G teams at the top which is not acceptable so the rules are broken to achieve an acceptable outcome. Move UGA to #2

The BIG seems really top heavy this year. I realize it's always top heavy, it just seems more than usual this year.

You have Oregon, O$U, and PSU as top 5 teams. The SEC powers keep bumping each other off, so that helps keep those 3 at the top.

Then you have Illinois and Indiana, who seem like the Paper Champs of the West until proven otherwise.

Traditional powers Michigan and USC both suck. Everyone else is mediocre to terrible.

FWIW, my comment is not because I think PSU is #2(I don't). It's because these polls are F'ing stupid nonsense. If UGAs win over #1 Tex was good that it warranted jumping UGA above a 0 loss team, then logically, Tex shouldn't have been dropped below PSU either.
The voters have rules that they follow, almost religiously (see Miami at #7) until they don't like the outcome of their rules.

Rules:
-Bias toward #of losses - PSU didn't lose, so they didn't drop. Same with OSU
-Tex lost so they dropped. Due to rule #1, they had to go to 5.

The rules would result in 3 B2G teams at the top which is not acceptable so the rules are broken to achieve an acceptable outcome. Move UGA to #2
There are no rules. It’s ‘who do you think is best?’ Period.

Then throw in regional/league biases, people pumping up own team or upcoming opponents. Playing strength of schedule games. Holding grudges for past grievances. Hating on a head coach or fan base.

It’s all a scam. That’s the huge reason why they were forced to go to a playoff system. Everyone knew it was crooked.

What? We're currently third with one win over a team with a winning record and that team isn't respected by the voters. If we beat Ohio State that would be huge
Yes, but Oregon beat them as well and Georgia beat Texas and Clemson. If we somehow beat Ohio State that won't bump us up enough to get past #3. I assume the committee would see it that way as well. The narrative will be that the Buckeyes have more talent but are having trouble getting everyone to play together, not that Penn State finally broke through.

Huh? We would definitely pass Georgia or any other team with a loss if we defeat tOSU. If we win decisively, we could even theoretically pass Oregon since their win against the Buckeyes was close and also at home.
I hope we get the chance to find out.

Yes, but Oregon beat them as well and Georgia beat Texas and Clemson. If we somehow beat Ohio State that won't bump us up enough to get past #3. I assume the committee would see it that way as well. The narrative will be that the Buckeyes have more talent but are having trouble getting everyone to play together, not that Penn State finally broke through.
Oregon beat them by 1 at home
If we beat Ohio State we're at least 2 probably 1 depending on what else happens. Unless it's a weird, "they won on a blocked FG" type game
There's not false narrative here--if we beat Ohio State it's a huge win and Franklin will get national credit

Oregon is above Georgia right now essentially on the back of beating tOSU. Why wouldn't we be above Georgia if we beat tOSU?

Can't believe not many commented on this . Enjoy the moment over next 2 weeks . Then we will we what happens
I think it is because most people know that there is no sense complaining about the rankings if your team loses the next game. For me personally I won't complain at all until the regular season is over. I'm still wondering how Georgia last year got bumped to 6th on the last day, thereby handing Michigan the natty right then and there.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
We'll be an undefeated squad in a top conference that just beat what was considered a top team. Georgia will be a 1-loss team. We'll jump them. The reason they're ahead of us right now, despite having a loss, is because they beat a top squad. That advantage will disappear and we'll jump them. You have to inch your way up and "earn" jumps into the next echelon of squads. That's why, for instance, Indiana is hanging back in the lower teens despite being undefeated ... they don't have that signature win yet and they started out not respected amongst pollsters. If they played OSU this week and beat them, they'd skyrocket up the polls. You have to "earn" your way up to certain levels, depending on where you started out.

Last edited:
Agree but it really doesn't matter. If we win out we'll get a first-round bye. If we lose to tOSU only, we'll get a good home game against a lower-ranked team. The point is, we need to just keep winning. The rest will take care of itself.

What is interesting is that Alamama may not make the playoffs or Ole Miss. USC is toast. Washington is toast. Michigan is toast.

It is a new day and the door is wide open for PSU. Can we walk it in?
Alabama will make the playoffs. There were discussions about including them when it was a 4-team playoff. Now with 12? Tennessee, too. It's Indiana that is getting screwed. #13 my ***.

The voters will not elevate an undefeated PSU over a 1 loss UGA
Then why is Oregon #1 right now?
Penn State beating Ohio State would have the same resume. We're #3 because we have 1 win over a team above 500 and unfortunately Illinois doesn't get any respect nationally. USC losing hurt us. WVU losing evey time they play anyone decent hurt us.
But keeping winning and none of that matters.

Then why is Oregon #1 right now?
Penn State beating Ohio State would have the same resume. We're #3 because we have 1 win over a team above 500 and unfortunately Illinois doesn't get any respect nationally. USC losing hurt us. WVU losing evey time they play anyone decent hurt us.
But keeping winning and none of that matters.
christmas vacation GIF

LSU may sneak in at 10-2 as they have a legit QB whereas A&M doesn't they definitely escaped Ole Miss. There's no way they can be above Texas currently. He's saying that IMO to try to make USC better than they are.
I don't think it matters except for seeding because the SEC will get 4 teams into the playoff. It's just a question of which 4 teams. GA, AL, TN, LSU, A&M, Miss.

I don't think it matters except for seeding because the SEC will get 4 teams into the playoff. It's just a question of which 4 teams. GA, AL, TN, LSU, A&M, Miss.
4 is likely--5 is possible. Miami losing a CCG at 12-0 and Indiana going 11-1 might make that a little difficult. Other than Texas, they could have a few 3 losses team. Worse than 10-2 gets interesting.

The rankings have nothing to do with who makes the playoffs or how those teams are seeded. The CFP folks will start releasing their own rankings in 2 weeks on Nov 5... right after our game with tOSU in fact.

Reactions: loyalandtrue2
4 is likely--5 is possible. Miami losing a CCG at 12-0 and Indiana going 11-1 might make that a little difficult. Other than Texas, they could have a few 3 losses team. Worse than 10-2 gets interesting.
I can't imagine 5

5 conf champs
3 More from SEC
2 More from BiG

That's already 10. Two more. One is likely ND.

I can't imagine 5

5 conf champs
3 More from SEC
2 More from BiG

That's already 10. Two more. One is likely ND.
The ACC nor the Big XII are guaranteed a second team. ND is far from likely--they're out at 10-2 with that NIU loss. ND desperately needs A&M to keep winning but that also hurts them because they'll be battling for a playoff spot against them.
Let's say Indiana drops 2 games, ND wins out with Miami and BYU also winning out (not a lock obviously) there's a very good chance it looks like

Big Ten: Oregon, Penn State and Ohio State
SEC: Georgia, Texas, Bama, LSU and A&M
Big XII: BYU
ACC: Miami
G5: Pick someone (Boise State)
Other: Notre Dame

The SEC and Big Ten want 4 auto bids--I think we'll see them get 8 teams this year--looking at any rankings it's reasonable

We already were ahead of them once. They jumped us when they beat #1 on the road with relative ease. So voters have already proven they have no issue having us ahead of them.
I agree with you more than I disagree with you Lando, but this is crazy...So your hypothesis is that if PSU (#3) beats OSU (#4), a team ranked lower, the polls will elevate PSU above the current #2, UGA?

Yes, UGA fell below PSU after losing, but you're missing that they had another SEC team at the top. With Tex going down, they wouldn't allow 2 B2G teams above the SEC, not even for a week.

If this this was remotely consistent, this weeks poll would have been:
Oregon
PSU
OSU
UGA
Tex

Then, all other things being equal, the loser of PSU/OSU would drop to at least #6
...but it a show, so here we are.

I agree with you more than I disagree with you Lando, but this is crazy...So your hypothesis is that if PSU (#3) beats OSU (#4), a team ranked lower, the polls will elevate PSU above the current #2, UGA?

Yes, UGA fell below PSU after losing, but you're missing that they had another SEC team at the top. With Tex going down, they wouldn't allow 2 B2G teams above the SEC, not even for a week.

If this this was remotely consistent, this weeks poll would have been:
Oregon
PSU
OSU
UGA
Tex

Then, all other things being equal, the loser of PSU/OSU would drop to at least #6
...but it a show, so here we are.
Yes, if we're undefeated with a win over Ohio State we'll be #2 with Oregon at #1 (or reverse that depending on the score). Now, Georgia might jump back ahead of us if they beat Tennessee the following week but immediately after the game we'd be, at worst, 2nd.
Georgia just beat #1 Texas on the road--I said early in this thread they'd jump us, to me that was predictable.
Hopefully we win and find out

The ACC nor the Big XII are guaranteed a second team. ND is far from likely--they're out at 10-2 with that NIU loss. ND desperately needs A&M to keep winning but that also hurts them because they'll be battling for a playoff spot against them.
Let's say Indiana drops 2 games, ND wins out with Miami and BYU also winning out (not a lock obviously) there's a very good chance it looks like

The SEC and Big Ten want 4 auto bids--I think we'll see them get 8 teams this year--looking at any rankings it's reasonable
Doubtful 5 SEC teams get in due to their schedules this year. LSU still plays Alabama and A&M. A&M has Texas (and LSU). Tennessee still plays Georgia. Unless it works out perfectly, they'll beat each other up enough to knock others out of the top 12. Looking like 3 from B10, maybe 2 from ACC with Miami and Clemson. B12 could get 2, but shouldn't. ND needs A&M to keep winning, which could also knock out LSU and/or Texas. It could get real interesting if Illinois pulls off the upset this weekend and wins out. One problem with the massive conferences, Indiana and PSU could meet in the championship as undefeated in the regular season with Oregon and Illinois with 1 loss each... Unlikely, but it'd be an interesting discussion for the committee.

Reactions: LandoComando

Clemson beats an undefeated Miami in ACC championship game. Does Miami drop from 4-5 to outside top 11? Highly doubtful so ACC can get two in. Then ND probably out but if they only have one loss then it is LSU or A&M out. And we probably play the other one in 6 vs 11 game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT