ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Blue / White Spring game

Not too much can be discerned from the game. The offense was intentionally vanilla. There should be no more discussion about a qb competition. Allar is the clear #1. Martin looks dynamic at rb! Wallace may be the #1 wr and Clifford looks like a contributor. The two portal corners are impressive. I like Tom Allen a lot. We will get 2 or 3 years from him as he rehabs his hc resume.

Not too much can be discerned from the game. The offense was intentionally vanilla. There should be no more discussion about a qb competition. Allar is the clear #1. Martin looks dynamic at rb! Wallace may be the #1 wr and Clifford looks like a contributor. The two portal corners are impressive. I like Tom Allen a lot. We will get 2 or 3 years from him as he rehabs his hc resume.

Allar seems to be a hot and cold player. Started 7 of 11. Finished 15 of 32. His deep ball still doesn't look good and he might not be accurate enough to make up for that.

Allar is definitely the clear #1. Beau is mobile. Kotelnicki could let him have his moments, but I'd prefer the ball be rushed if he is in there instead of thrown. (And that limits his options, opportunities) Grunk could easily be #2 this year, but I doubt they try to upturn that apple cart before they have to.

No Allen, no Singleton today and I think we see a run based offense this fall. No Fleming with Allar either, which is baffling.

Franklin's comments at the end were bizarre. He thought they split the rosters up and expected a closer game? Lol

Reactions: scrivener
Allar still is off on deep balls....granted, I know the BW game means a hill of beans. But, the passing game, and perhaps the success of the offense relies on his right arm and improving his 60% comp pct, and terrible deep balls. If he does both, playoffs are likely.

Reactions: lazydave841
Allar seems to be a hot and cold player. Started 7 of 11. Finished 15 of 32. His deep ball still doesn't look good and he might not be accurate enough to make up for that.

Allar is definitely the clear #1. Beau is mobile. Kotelnicki could let him have his moments, but I'd prefer the ball be rushed if he is in there instead of thrown. (And that limits his options, opportunities) Grunk could easily be #2 this year, but I doubt they try to upturn that apple cart before they have to.

No Allen, no Singleton today and I think we see a run based offense this fall. No Fleming with Allar either, which is baffling.

Franklin's comments at the end were bizarre. He thought they split the rosters up and expected a closer game? Lol
At this point, Allar is like Rick Vaughn...a cannon of his arm which hopefully hits the target.

At this point, Allar is like Rick Vaughn...a cannon of his arm which hopefully hits the target.
if allar cant find his primary receiver, he seems to just give up and throw the ball away. one time he hit the crossbar. he also needs to be more acurate.

Reactions: lazydave841
if allar cant find his primary receiver, he seems to just give up and throw the ball away. one time he hit the crossbar. he also needs to be more acurate.
He lacks touch and overall feel....not smooth in what he does. JF can highlight his TD/INT ratio until blue in the face, but 60% comp per, and brutal deep ball passing last year told the tale. Both need HUGE upticks to get where PSU wants to go.

Was working on my tractor so I'm a good bit behind on watching, but observations:

- Franklin before game comments about first time PSU has enough depth to hold a more regular B/W game. Should have, they are 14 over the 85 with lots of early enrollee's !!

- football looks small in Allar's hand

- Montgomery back for opening KO, likely in the competition to replace Singleton.

- Turnover King, Wheatley witn the INT.

- Quinton Martin looks good at RB and has a big frame. When he fills out he's going to be quite a load. Staff really wanted to get him some toughes and get him comfortable in both the Blue and White jersey's ;) which seems to say he's going to play a good bit this season.....

- Montgomery looks pretty good at RB.

- Very nice start by the CB Harris to his PSU career.

- Is Carter the quickest DE off the sack in the history of football or was he off sides a couple of those plays????

- I still like McClain at WR, but he was either not on the same page as the QB's or the throws were not accurate in the wind.

- Rappleyea will make the TE's a three headed monster this year.

- QB's didn't set the world on fire but some of that had to be the wind.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
He lacks touch and overall feel....not smooth in what he does. JF can highlight his TD/INT ratio until blue in the face, but 60% comp per, and brutal deep ball passing last year told the tale. Both need HUGE upticks to get where PSU wants to go.
Im going to go ahead and give the kid a mulligan today. 30 mph winds, and about 25 percent of the playbook. He looked about the same as last year frankly, which is about the 4th or 5th best QB in the big ten.

Im going to go ahead and give the kid a mulligan today. 30 mph winds, and about 25 percent of the playbook. He looked about the same as last year frankly, which is about the 4th or 5th best QB in the big ten.
Yep...the wind was bad to throw in. But, if he is the same as last year come 2024, that would be disappointing for a JR QB, to say the least.

Yep...the wind was bad to throw in. But, if he is the same as last year come 2024, that would be disappointing for a JR QB, to say the least.
He's gonna look a lot better with Singleton and Allen. Relax. This next season is a long ways away and frankly, out of the big 5(Oregon, SC, Michigan, PSU, Ohio State), we got the easiest schedule of them all. No Oregon, no Michigan, and OSU at home, only SC on the road and two bye weeks. Allar won't be the issue.

He's gonna look a lot better with Singleton and Allen. Relax. This next season is a long ways away and frankly, out of the big 5(Oregon, SC, Michigan, PSU, Ohio State), we got the easiest schedule of them all. No Oregon, no Michigan, and OSU at home, only SC on the road and two bye weeks. Allar won't be the issue.
For sure on the schedule...couple of byes and most of the tougher B1G games at home.

I'm relaxed...but to simply say 'he wont be the issue' is counter to his body of work.

Best case scenario, the running game and defense is so good, we won't need Allar to win a big game, or put together a season-altering drive. But, that is unlikely for any CFB team -- there are series or quarters where your QB will have to make throws to win a big game. Last year he didn't do that. Will he in 2024...nobody can say, but he has the arm and we think the OC to help him get it done. Call me skeptical based on JF's track record of preparing to win big games.

Reactions: RickinDayton
For sure on the schedule...couple of byes and most of the tougher B1G games at home.

I'm relaxed...but to simply say 'he wont be the issue' is counter to his body of work.

Best case scenario, the running game and defense is so good, we won't need Allar to win a big game, or put together a season-altering drive. But, that is unlikely for any CFB team -- there are series or quarters where your QB will have to make throws to win a big game. Last year he didn't do that. Will he in 2024...nobody can say, but he has the arm and we think the OC to help him get it done. Call me skeptical based on JF's track record of preparing to win big games.
Good solid points made and taken. Remember, those two defenses beat Penn State last year were both in the top 5 in the nation. We won't see that next year save for Ohio State weekend.

Good solid points made and taken. Remember, those two defenses beat Penn State last year were both in the top 5 in the nation. We won't see that next year save for Ohio State weekend.
That's for sure...UCLA, WASH, and USC will likely pose much more of a challenge b/c of their offense. Both teams lose impact players from last year, but WASH, especially. Could be some fun, high scoring matchups. Defensively, last year, those teams were much more deficient.

OSU will likely have a top flight D again.

Anyone have a starting unit for both squads on both sides of the ball??? Just curious as it usually indicates who is doing well throughout practices.

Quinton Martin is looking like he’s on another tier as well.
Lambert & Jones said Martin is really talented, been making plays all Spring. They said he could really be dangerous for opposing defenses by throwing to him out of the backfield as well as running because of his elusiveness, vision, and deceiving speed. Just needs some refinement.

Pribula basically only has one play: drop back and pretend he’s going to throw it and then take off running.
Lambert and Jones didn't dog his play but certainly weren't complimentary. Hopefully the Freshman Grunkenmeyer progresses enough to move into the second spot. Beau seems like a QB that requires limited special packages because of his accuracy issues. PSU definitely needs to bring on two QBs this class. At this juncture, Beaubdoes not appear to be ready to start if Allar leaves after this year.

Wallace had a good game, but they need a #1 WR. Could be really good if they had one.
We have a very good rb corps and tight end room. As long as the wrs can be competent, the offense should be fine provided that the qb matures and the o-line replacements are competent.

The Chiefs have won the last two Super Bowls without a great wide receiver or even a great rb. I know that they have a generational qb and HOF tight end, but Reid’s schemes cover up the personnel deficiencies on offense. That’s what the PSU staff needs to do.

Reactions: bison13
That's for sure...UCLA, WASH, and USC will likely pose much more of a challenge b/c of their offense. Both teams lose impact players from last year, but WASH, especially. Could be some fun, high scoring matchups. Defensively, last year, those teams were much more deficient.

OSU will likely have a top flight D again.
I was listening on & off to their radio broadcast while running errands. Sounds like their defense is talented and deep. They had several sacks. INTs, and lots of QB pressures. C.J. Hicks & Stiles (sp?) stood out @ LBer.
Post game Ryan Day said OL is not settled and he's just gonna put the best five out there to start and try to get them settled into positions.
PSU and OSU both have OL questions.
They have lots of QBs competing: Howard, Brown, Klienholz, Sayin(sp?), and Freshman Air Noland. No doubt at least 1 will enter the portal, perhaps by next weekend.

Last edited:
Was working on my tractor so I'm a good bit behind on watching, but observations:

- Franklin before game comments about first time PSU has enough depth to hold a more regular B/W game. Should have, they are 14 over the 85 with lots of early enrollee's !!

I don't think all 99 scholarship guys are there yet. 6-10 coming this summer. Still, we weren't shellacked anywhere with injuries which allowed for 2 full squads

- Montgomery back for opening KO, likely in the competition to replace Singleton.

- Quinton Martin looks good at RB and has a big frame. When he fills out he's going to be quite a load. Staff really wanted to get him some toughes and get him comfortable in both the Blue and White jersey's ;) which seems to say he's going to play a good bit this season.....

Wallace looked good too.

- Is Carter the quickest DE off the sack in the history of football or was he off sides a couple of those plays????

definitely offsides once or twice, but he's lightning off the edge. Draft stock will be boosted.

- I still like McClain at WR, but he was either not on the same page as the QB's or the throws were not accurate in the wind.

QBs are exactly who they were. Beau is light years from having Trace's arm talent. The #9 gets some too riled up.

Well the receivers look about as talented and “with it” in the playbook as last year.
Lambert thought after watching 3 quarters that Wallace and Saunders had separated themselves. I think it will be Fleming, Wallace & Saunders to start the season unless they bring in a very good portal WR, which they could use. TEs are solid once again.
I expect some pretty significant #s of WRs to the portal. I think these are those that stay: Fleming, Wallace, Saunders, Clifford. McClain. Any other thoughts on who stays? Josiah Brown was out, so not sure about him.

Lambert thought after watching 3 quarters that Wallace and Saunders had separated themselves. I think it will be Fleming, Wallace & Saunders to start the season unless they bring in a very good portal WR, which they could use. TEs are solid once again.
I expect some pretty significant #s of WRs to the portal. I think these are those that stay: Fleming, Wallace, Saunders, Clifford. McClain. Any other thoughts on who stays? Josiah Brown was out, so not sure about him.
Agree those are the starting three with Clifford as the fourth and McClain fifth. Maybe a freshman or two after that.

I think we take it to UCLA and Washington. UCLA isn’t good and Washington was gutted after their NC appearance. USC will be tough on the road and will score some points, but our D will be too physical for USC. OSU will be the game, but at least we have them at home. We should win at least one between OSU and USC with my guess @ USC with how terrible their D is and not being physical.

I think we take it to UCLA and Washington. UCLA isn’t good and Washington was gutted after their NC appearance. USC will be tough on the road and will score some points, but our D will be too physical for USC. OSU will be the game, but at least we have them at home. We should win at least one between OSU and USC with my guess @ USC with how terrible their D is and not being physical.
I believe that the road games at WVU and Wisconsin will be much more difficult than home games against two teams that will have to travel 3000 miles. Other than the game against OSU, the road game at USC will be the most challenging because we’ll probably have to score at least in the high 20s to win that game.

Reactions: Obliviax
Well none of the 3 true freshmen are leaving. I hope you are correct about McClain. The over/under for WR''s leaving at 3 ???
And I believe the staff will try and bring in another WR from the portal soon.

Staying:
  1. Flemming
  2. Wallace
  3. Saunders
  4. Clifford
  5. McClain
  6. Brown (Fr)
  7. Gonzalez (Fr)
  8. Denmark (Fr)
  9. Evans - looked decent today. Seems staff likes him
  10. Taylor - RS freshman (unknown, not sold on him staying but still young)
  11. Ivey - Backup punt returner, biding his time at WR. Could portal if immediate PT is a priority
Gone
  1. KLS
Possibilities for Transfer
  1. Meiga - Special teams standout, but may want to get PT at WR somewhere else
  2. T.Johnson RS-So Anyone see him today?
  3. Flowers RS-So Moved over from Safety but seems unlikely to get on the field at WR

I believe that the road games at WVU and Wisconsin will be much more difficult than home games against two teams that will have to travel 3000 miles. Other than the game against OSU, the road game at USC will be the most challenging because we’ll probably have to score at least in the high 20s to win that game.
Shouldn't be a problem against the USC defense

Reactions: SR108
They have lots of QBs competing: Howard, Brown, Klienholz, Sayin(sp?), and Freshman Air Noland. No doubt at least 1 will enter the portal, perhaps by next weekend.
Many of their fans believe that Keinholz and Brown will be transferring out in the upcoming portal

Well none of the 3 true freshmen are leaving. I hope you are correct about McClain. The over/under for WR''s leaving at 3 ???
And I believe the staff will try and bring in another WR from the portal soon.

Staying:
  1. Flemming
  2. Wallace
  3. Saunders
  4. Clifford
  5. McClain
  6. Brown (Fr)
  7. Gonzalez (Fr)
  8. Denmark (Fr)
  9. Evans - looked decent today. Seems staff likes him
  10. Taylor - RS freshman (unknown, not sold on him staying but still young)
  11. Ivey - Backup punt returner, biding his time at WR. Could portal if immediate PT is a priority
Gone
  1. KLS
Possibilities for Transfer
  1. Meiga - Special teams standout, but may want to get PT at WR somewhere else
  2. T.Johnson RS-So Anyone see him today?
  3. Flowers RS-So Moved over from Safety but seems unlikely to get on the field at WR
Shake out Ivey and Taylor from that tree… and chuck Hagans while you’re at it. It’s on him. What a mess. Twelve guys and there are 3-4 that appear to be compete. The makings of another elite Defense and the question marks are still WR and to a certain extent the OL. Rinse and repeat.

Allar still is off on deep balls....granted, I know the BW game means a hill of beans. But, the passing game, and perhaps the success of the offense relies on his right arm and improving his 60% comp pct, and terrible deep balls. If he does both, playoffs are like

Agree, the wind was a big factor.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Only saw the first half but he was much better than last year. Much better at stepping into his throws. Not an easy day to throw deep passes.

I was listening on & off to their radio broadcast while running errands. Sounds like their defense is talented and deep. They had several sacks. INTs, and lots of QB pressures. C.J. Hicks & Stiles (sp?) stood out @ LBer.
Post game Ryan Day said OL is not settled and he's just gonna put the best five out there to start and try to get them settled into positions.
PSU and OSU both have OL questions.
Our offensive line may not be settled but it’s not because of lack of talent, more an issue of competition. That’s a good thing.

Only saw the first half but he was much better than last year. Much better at stepping into his throws. Not an easy day to throw deep passes.
Yeah I took another look and really I think he's going to be just fine. My concern is the rushing defense. If they can stop the run, that eliminates West Virginia, Wisconsin and Minnesota, and leaves only SC and Ohio State as potential losses. 10-2 MIGHT get it done and might not. I think we need to split those two and we're sitting pretty. Lose them both and it's white knuckle ride time for 10-12 seeding.

Yeah I took another look and really I think he's going to be just fine. My concern is the rushing defense. If they can stop the run, that eliminates West Virginia, Wisconsin and Minnesota, and leaves only SC and Ohio State as potential losses. 10-2 MIGHT get it done and might not. I think we need to split those two and we're sitting pretty. Lose them both and it's white knuckle ride time for 10-12 seeding.
The way SC plays defense, I will be disappointed if we lose to them.

Reactions: Delcolion915
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT