ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Penn State defeats Illinois, 30-13

No because I don’t give a duck fart about Ohio State or Michigan, (sorry WestCoast24 ;)). Now if you want to say OSU is struggling so far, that’s fine.
But whether we beat them or not has a lot to do with them as well. They haven’t looked better than us so far this year.

Reactions: psu00
I think that’s very fair. For me, I look at each game, (especially with the hype this year), as would this performance beat Ohio State and Michigan? Those are the 2 you have to beat to get a big ten title or playoff spot.

I get that. In theory, probably not today, but was today not good work? We played into Illinois' strength and still come out with a solid win. Perhaps a great team blows them out 52-7, but we might not quite be there yet.

Offense had its struggles. Allar under 50%. RBs had 101 on 24 carries, with 34 of that coming on 2 rushes. WRs quiet with no deep shots and a few drops. TEs was working, but oft not utilized. Growth is needed.

I get that. In theory, probably not today, but was today not good work? We played into Illinois' strength and still come out with a solid win. Perhaps a great team blows them out 52-7, but we might not quite be there yet.

Offense had its struggles. Allar under 50%. RBs had 101 on 24 carries, with 34 of that coming on 2 rushes. WRs quiet with no deep shots and a few drops. TEs was working, but oft not utilized. Growth is needed.
But what if we play like we did today and OSU plays like they did against Indiana? There are two teams involved in each game.

Reactions: doctornick

It was good in that they got a win, albeit pulling away late with the issues you listed. They’ll improve over the weeks, (but so will OSU and Michigan).

Reactions: lazydave841
And the offense has to do enough to beat Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, etc. Today they weren't good enough. We all know that.
You better keep an eye on the OSU and Georgia games. Perhaps you can go to their boards and tell them how they are doing against a couple of crap teams.

You better keep an eye on the OSU and Georgia games. Perhaps you can go to their boards and tell them how they are doing against a couple of crap teams.
What makes you think I'm not accurately critical of their play? Add Bama. Add FSU. Do you think their fans are happy? Raise your standards and expectations

But what if we play like we did today and OSU plays like they did against Indiana? There are two teams involved in each game.
That’s a fair question. I didn’t see the OSU vs Indiana game so I can’t really answer that. I totally give you that OSU appears to be struggling compared to years past from all reports I’ve seen. Would it be a toss up but OSU slightly favored as the game is at the Shoe? No way to really know.

After watching todays game, am I confident of PSU heading into the Shoe playing like this and coming out with a win? No, not based on past decade or so of OSU vs PSU games.

The good news is it’s still a few weeks away and we get to re-evaluate PSU’s standing after next week. ;)

Last edited:
Hang here long enough and you'll wonder who won the game. "WE DESERVE BETTER!"
A lot of fans on here are comparing performance to what should be expected from a playoff team. PSU didn't deliver on that today.

Toledo gained 416 yards, had 27 first downs
Kansas gained 539 yards, had 27 first downs
PSU gained 383 yards, had 20 first downs

PSU is "supposed" to have a good OL this year to take the pressure off of a first time starting QB. Singleton had 37 yards on 11 carries and Allen had 54 yds on 13 carries. Allar was under pressure all day and it showed. There were 3-4 dropped passes and too many penalties. The adversity might be a good thing for this team in the end but today wasn't impressive. The good news is it was a win.

Reactions: YeOldeCup and psu00
As I have said before defense wins championships.
Illinois moved the ball against PSU but fortunately we got turnovers. I'm not sure how many were forced by our pressure defense vs how many were just bad throws. They were certainly a couple nice defensive plays by the DBs who were mostly in single coverage.

It was interesting to see K. Saunders get more opportunity at WR.

Reactions: joeaubie21
That’s a fair question. I didn’t see the OSU vs Indiana game so I can’t really answer that. I totally give you that OSU appears to be struggling compared to years past from all reports I’ve seen. Would it be a toss up but OSU slightly favored as the game is at the Shoe? No way to really know.

After watching todays game, am I confident of PSU heading into the Shoe playing like this and coming out with a win? No, not based on past decade or so of OSU vs PSU games.

The good news is it’s still a few weeks away and we get to re-evaluate PSU’s standing after next week. ;)
I get what you’re saying, but today’s game has nothing to do with how we play against OSU. We could have won today 63-7 and still lose at OSU. Every game is different and the players play better or worse in every game.

A lot of fans on here are comparing performance to what should be expected from a playoff team. PSU didn't deliver on that today.

Toledo gained 416 yards, had 27 first downs
Kansas gained 539 yards, had 27 first downs
PSU gained 383 yards, had 20 first downs

PSU is "supposed" to have a good OL this year to take the pressure off of a first time starting QB. Singleton had 37 yards on 11 carries and Allen had 54 yds on 13 carries. Allar was under pressure all day and it showed. There were 3-4 dropped passes and too many penalties. The adversity might be a good thing for this team in the end but today wasn't impressive. The good news is it was a win.
That's not how it works. Did you watch Florida state? How many points does W Kentucky score on OSU? You play to win the game. PSU Led 30-7 when Franklin called off the dogs. What was the spread? Also, a piece of advice... if PSU needs to make the playoffs for you to enjoy the season....odds are you will be disappointed

I get what you’re saying, but today’s game has nothing to do with how we play against OSU. We could have won today 63-7 and still lose at OSU. Every game is different and the players play better or worse in every game.
True, but it’s fair to judge where the team stands each week and discuss the game. As you say, it doesn’t guarantee a win or loss in future games but it’s part of the discussion of the current state of the program looking forward. The great thing about college football is it’s often so unpredictable.

That's not how it works. Did you watch Florida state? How many points does W Kentucky score on OSU? You play to win the game. PSU Led 30-7 when Franklin called off the dogs. What was the spread? Also, a piece of advice... if PSU needs to make the playoffs for you to enjoy the season....odds are you will be disappointed
Georgia is losing to S. Carolina and Bama is losing to S. Florida….I guess neither are playoff teams.

Or your standards are top low. The only objective is to make the playoff.

Georgia is losing to S. Carolina and Bama is losing to S. Florida….I guess neither are playoff teams.
Bama absolutely doesn't look like one so far this year
Georgia and Smart have earned the benefit of the doubt. Franklin hasn't yet

True, but it’s fair to judge where the team stands each week and discuss the game. As you say, it doesn’t guarantee a win or loss in future games but it’s part of the discussion of the current state of the program looking forward. The great thing about college football is it’s often so unpredictable.
We can discuss it and I enjoy discussing it, but in the end, you never know what you’re going to get from week to week because it is college football. I just don’t like the “we’re terrible” or “we’re not a top 10 team” posts after a bad quarter or two. Obviously nobody is a top 10 team if every top 10 team has to blow every opponent out in every quarter.

All fan bases are the same. They all have cheerleaders that pretend everything is always great and they have those thar are never happy. Today, we won as expected but there's concerns going forward. Being unable to admit that doesn't make you a better fan

I understand that teams have days where they don't play up to their ability and that doesn't mean they won't play better going forward. FL State was sluggish today but I don't understand your comment about OSU. They're leading 42-10 at half.

Reactions: GregInPitt
And until they lose, PSU is competing to win championships.
Correct and those being accurately critical are discussing their areas of opportunity. The defense was great with signs of being elite. The offense must improve. We all know this.

All fan bases are the same. They all have cheerleaders that pretend everything is always great and they have those thar are never happy. Today, we won as expected but there's concerns going forward. Being unable to admit that doesn't make you a better fan

You obviously have not followed PSU football for very long.

Reactions: joeaubie21
I f you don’t enjoy winning and you aren't on the team...you might wanna look in the mirror. Hint...you'll see a fanboy.

I think that’s very fair. For me, I look at each game, (especially with the hype this year), as would this performance beat Ohio State and Michigan? Those are the 2 you have to beat to get a big ten title or playoff spot.

That's the way I see it too. If you're always satisfied with second place then you will play and develop to finish no better than second place.

Reactions: psu00
Correct and those being accurately critical are discussing their areas of opportunity. The defense was great with signs of being elite. The offense must improve. We all know this.

At this point in the season, the defense is always ahead of the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT