ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD: Penn State defeats Illinois, 30-13

LMAO - how precisely was that ball catchable??? Ball was a mile over receivers head! Ball has to be catchable to be PI. Another joke call by homers to give ILL a 1st down on a failed 3rd-&-10. Joke call.

No, I usually just get a lot of stupidity and today was definitely no exception.
Yep, just a bit of advice, a game thread is usually NOT going to give you valuable news and info. It will mostly be people upset and complaining when the team is not doing well.

A game thread may not be for you if people complaining about the team bothers you so much.

Reactions: 81b&w and mcpat
No, I usually just get a lot of stupidity and today was definitely no exception.
When you think every team in a P5 conference is good....when you think coaches are beyond criticism...when you only see the positives...yes you're going to think you see a lot of stupidity when the truth is your bias prevents you from seeing reality.

Almost all of the criticism in this thread today was valid.

Well, interesting game overall. I am very concerned about our underperforming run game, as it has not broken open yet this season. That is our largest issue surprisingly. Happy to see our defense convert turnover opportunities. Seems like it’s been years since that has occurred consistently . I’m optimistic but not convinced at this point that this is a playoff team until we see better consistency with the run game . That will take a lot of pressure off our young quarterback. Speaking of him, # 11 failed him twice on easy catchable balls.

Reactions: psu00 and christoph
Yep, just a bit of advice, a game thread is usually NOT going to give you valuable news and info. It will mostly be people upset and complaining when the team is not doing well.

A game thread may not be for you if people complaining about the team bothers you so much.
I’ve been posting in game threads for many years. And I used to get on and complain about everything too, but then I ended up looking foolish when the team would come out and dominate the second half and blow their opponent out, so I learned. Too bad more people can’t learn that overreacting makes them look stupid.

I’ve been posting in game threads for many years. And I used to get on and complain about everything too, but then I ended up looking foolish when the team would come out and dominate the second half and blow their opponent out, so I learned. Too bad more people can’t learn that overreacting makes them look stupid.
I don't think anyone complaining today looks foolish. Most of us knew it was likely that PSU would probably win comfortably in the end but that doesn't mean everything is peaches and roses.

Well, interesting game overall. I am very concerned about our underperforming run game, as it has not broken open yet this season. That is our largest issue surprisingly. Happy to see our defense convert turnover opportunities. Seems like it’s been years since that has occurred consistently . I’m optimistic but not convinced at this point that this is a playoff team until we see better consistency with the run game . That will take a lot of pressure off our young quarterback. Speaking of him, # 11 failed him twice on easy catchable balls.
It is the O-Line, they did not look good.
Allen and Singleton are really talented, give them just a crack and they take advantage. Good use of tight ends and so glad they did not call back Theo's catch which seemed like a catch (possession to the ground). Warren is excellent. Liked seeing Saunders in there. Overall we win by 17 with Allar completing less than 50%. Defense was great at creating turnovers so an excellent sign for the future.

Reactions: christoph
I don't think anyone complaining today looks foolish. Most of us knew it was likely that PSU would probably win comfortably in the end but that doesn't mean everything is peaches and roses.
You should go back and reread some of the posts…they look stupid.

Sometimes our run calls seem backwards. We give Allen a bunch of outside type stuff and Singleton seems to get more inside than out.

Allar was off today, but drops hurt his rhythm. Today felt like we weren't trying to play to our strengths and very little adjustments.

No turnovers, caused 5. I think some complaints today are overblown. We could have put this game away early, but we're not 100% efficient nor effective yet. The drop by Allen, 2 by McClain, the shove by KLS, all momentum killers and we didn't crumble. Sign of a good team. But we need to be great to beat a certain 2. Iowa will be fun next week.

Reactions: 81b&w
With today's win, Penn State has now scored 30+ points in 10 straight games.

The second time they've done so in the James Franklin era, also doing so in 2016-2017. The Nittany Lions also did so in 1993-1994, when they did so in 15 straight games.

The defense gets a B with 5 turnovers?????

I thought Dixon made a great play, and DeLuca for creating the fumble, but the others were pretty much just bad play by Illinois and being in the right place at the right time.

Dixon showed how to play cornerback with that interception. I was disappointed with some of the others for not getting turned to make a play on the ball. If not yielding completions, this leads to penalties. Several could have been called today that were not called. Smith needs to do some coaching. It's not going to get easier against OSU and Michigan when we need to be more worried about stopping the run.

With today's win, Penn State has now scored 30+ points in 10 straight games.

The second time they've done so in the James Franklin era, also doing so in 2016-2017. The Nittany Lions also did so in 1993-1994, when they did so in 15 straight games.
Hang here long enough and you'll wonder who won the game. "WE DESERVE BETTER!"

Sometimes the sign of great teams is when the defense sets up the win.

Sometimes our run calls seem backwards. We give Allen a bunch of outside type stuff and Singleton seems to get more inside than out.

Allar was off today, but drops hurt his rhythm. Today felt like we weren't trying to play to our strengths and very little adjustments.

No turnovers, caused 5. I think some complaints today are overblown. We could have put this game away early, but we're not 100% efficient nor effective yet. The drop by Allen, 2 by McClain, the shove by KLS, all momentum killers and we didn't crumble. Sign of a good team. But we need to be great to beat a certain 2. Iowa will be fun next week.
I have a problem with KLS lack of discipline. His silly penalty killed a drive. Those are the errors that make coach's hair grey.

I think that’s very fair. For me, I look at each game, (especially with the hype this year), as would this performance beat Ohio State and Michigan? Those are the 2 you have to beat to get a big ten title or playoff spot.

I think that’s very fair. For me, I look at each game, (especially with the hype this year), as would this performance beat Ohio State and Michigan? Those are the 2 you have to beat to get a big ten title or playoff spot.
Do you watch OSU and Michigan each week wondering if their performance would beat Penn State?

Do you watch OSU and Michigan each week wondering if their performance would beat Penn State?
We're trying to get to their level. They're not trying to get to our level
But yes I watch them thinking of how they matchup with us and who would win

That penalty on Lambert-Smith was a momentum-changer. Killed a drive, led to a blocked field-goal followed by an Illini TD. Score that would have probably been 20-0 was instead 13-6 at that point as a result of a penalty that I thought was a little ticky-tac.

No, because I don’t give a duck fart about Ohio State or Michigan, (sorry WestCoast24 ;)). Now if you want to say OSU is struggling so far, that’s fine.

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
That penalty on Lambert-Smith was a momentum-changer. Killed a drive, led to a blocked field-goal followed by an Illini TD. Score that would have probably been 20-0 was instead 13-6 at that point as a result of a penalty that I thought was a little ticky-tac.

Seven penalties for 70 yards are drive killers, for both the offense and defense. The white hat today has taken over as the worst ref in the Big 2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT