ADVERTISEMENT

In Iowa desperation news…

I am no prude, but what are the actual allegations?

The NCAA is no bastion for morality, and I hope it's not as innocuous as it could be given the NCAAs apparently broad policy. I think once again the NCAA might be a decade behind reality.

Unless the kids are betting on collegiate sports involving their own university teams, this sounds like overreach. Heck I managed March madness brackets dating back to highschool, who isn't playing fantasy football leagues for money these days, and real gambling is no further than your smart phone.

This info has me concerned - certainly some elements could occur anywhere including PSU.

"NCAA rules prohibit athletes, coaches and staff from betting on amateur, collegiate and professional sports in which the NCAA conducts a championship. For example, athletes cannot bet on NFL games even if state laws would legally allow them to do so if they weren't competing under NCAA rules."

Athletes can not bet on NFL games, really? Like it or not, this is now a pervasive part of American culture.
We'll see ... maybe.

I'd expect a harsh crackdown given the Alabama Baseball case.

Alabama's head coach allegedly tipped off a buddy that he was swapping starting pitchers. That guy then bet those games before the lineup changes became public. (All bets against the Tide.)

That kind of thing gets the FBI involved, and if anyone thinks the NCAA casts too wide a net ...

We'll see ... maybe.

I'd expect a harsh crackdown given the Alabama Baseball case.

Alabama's head coach allegedly tipped off a buddy that he was swapping starting pitchers. That guy then bet those games before the lineup changes became public. (All bets against the Tide.)

That kind of thing gets the FBI involved, and if anyone thinks the NCAA casts too wide a net ...
I agree & note, I excluded NCAA sports, especially from their same university. The opportunity for one athlete to another to collude over a beer some Saturday night is there. Student atheletes should not bet on any NCAA sports, no doubt. Any violation here should be dealt with harshly.

NFL and other pro sports should be excluded from NCAA oversight IMO.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I can't think of a time that a team I hated the most also had the most inept people running it. I mean, this is borderline perfection from a comedy standpoint. The only thing that could make this more hilarious is if we find out one of those clowns had an affair with Spencer Lee's girlfriend.

So 2 months ago: Iowa was getting 3 Ferraris (including a reformed AJ), Truax, Nagao. They flex "Empire Strikes Back" and IRONBIRD in all caps talk about the fear in the kitties

Today: Penn State added Truax and Nagao. Mitch Mesenbrink commits and says he's here to just compete but the culture is what he wanted. We also added Luke Lilledahl. Iowa's offseason essentially consisted of a Voinovich for Chittum swap and David Taylor is their new savior? (not even Spencer anymore)

I agree & note, I excluded NCAA sports, especially from their same university. The opportunity for one athlete to another to collude over a beer some Saturday night is there. Student atheletes should not bet on any NCAA sports, no doubt. Any violation here should be dealt with harshly.

NFL and other pro sports should be excluded from NCAA oversight IMO.
If a student finds himself in a huge hole by betting pro sports, he/she could resort to nefarious actions within their own 'territory' to get even.

Reactions: Ski
If a student finds himself in a huge hole by betting pro sports, he/she could resort to nefarious actions within their own 'territory' to get even.
That only works as a rationale explanation if the prohibition was on all sports and all gambling. But it’s not.

Reactions: hlstone
So 2 months ago: Iowa was getting 3 Ferraris (including a reformed AJ), Truax, Nagao. They flex "Empire Strikes Back" and IRONBIRD in all caps talk about the fear in the kitties

Today: Penn State added Truax and Nagao. Mitch Mesenbrink commits and says he's here to just compete but the culture is what he wanted. We also added Luke Lilledahl. Iowa's offseason essentially consisted of a Voinovich for Chittum swap and David Taylor is their new savior? (not even Spencer anymore)
No, no. I made the mistake of trying to bring rationality over there in discussion, ease them into accepting some change. But they're insisting now Taylor is too pompous.

No, no. I made the mistake of trying to bring rationality over there in discussion, ease them into accepting some change. But they're insisting now Taylor is too pompous.
If DT were to be offered and accept the job I wonder at the public introduction if we could convince him to take a 3 ring binder with Larry Lee written across the top and toss it in a garbage can and proclaim we won't be needing this any longer!

HR/GIA posters for extremely indignant when I posted over there a month or two ago that I sincerely hoped all the Ferraris headed to Iowa City and that anyone who cheered for a team other than Iowa should hope for the same. Many of them went with “hurrr durr you’re just jealous they want to come here🤓”

To any of those guys who browse our board, hopefully you’re starting to see why I was right.

Party Dancing GIF by Florida Georgia Line

Reactions: Ja1339
Well IMO this is actually a big positive for Cody. A rolling stone gathers no moss, so let's hope he is done vacillating. I am actually excited what he can bring to the mat at this level. No question in my mind he just traded up in terms of coaching, big time, Dresser will squeeze all the potential he can get from him.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
We can act superior, but there is a former QB at PSU with off color hair that did this, and then everyone trusted him.

I saw this on HR. See the text highlighted in blue:

I think Spencer really wanted to compete the following year and made it known to the staff that he wanted to give it a go. The staff can't belt kids to the operating table and cut open their knees.
Lol no, but they can be a CEO and have the conversation that it’s better for Spencer long term to get surgery. I get Spencer’s side but he was a 21/22 year old competitor, TNT should know better and keep the big picture in mind. Coaches are there for a reason. Carl is a “big picture” guy. Chess vs checkers.

Reactions:YoungGun07 and MVPFAN

Without Chitthum in the lineup it may prove difficult to get their usual 3rd or 4th place trophy.
2023 NCAA Wrestling Championships Team Standings

1. Penn State: 137.5

2. Iowa: 82.5

3. Cornell: 76.5

NCAA Wrestling Championships 2022 Team Scores
1. Penn State: 108.0
2. Michigan: 84.5
3. Arizona State: 63.5
4. Iowa: 62.0

NCAA Championships 2021 team scores

1-Iowa, 129.0
2-Penn State, 113.5
3-Oklahoma State, 99.5

NCAA Championships 2019 Team Scores

1. Penn State 137.5

2. Ohio State 96.5

3. Oklahoma State 84

4. Iowa 76

Last edited:

1-Iowa, 129.0
2-Penn State, 113.5
3-Oklahoma State, 99.5

1. Penn State 137.5

2. Ohio State 96.5

3. Oklahoma State 84

4. Iowa 76
Double check your 2022 scores

As added background, Slumlord Millionaire was leading the Ferraris to Iowa campaign. He had already vetted the boys and the kerfluffles in their past were all just misunderstandings. They would be the key pieces in leveling the playing field.
You cannot exceed the irony below.

bnicolls said:
This

Dad wants control. I wouldn't put up with it and neither should Tom.

It's too bad and I feel sorry for the kid, the above is no way to become an adult.

———

I guess we can all await Mr. Chittum’s Flo Interview discussing Cody’s decommitment

You cannot exceed the irony below.

bnicolls said:
This

Dad wants control. I wouldn't put up with it and neither should Tom.

It's too bad and I feel sorry for the kid, the above is no way to become an adult.

———

I guess we can all await Mr. Chittum’s Flo Interview discussing Cody’s decommitment
Brands standing in the hallway watching a video of him & Lee taking turns reading a letter young Lee wrote. It’s touching & genuine. In Tom’s office wrestler’s parents are arguing about who’s running the show. Lar tells Mr Chittum, “You don’t like how I run this team? Grab your kid and GTFO. You never even wrote a 3” binder. GFY!”

A buddy of mine coached one of the Ferrari’s. This is only the beginning, which is why I keep hoping all 3 end up at Iowa. The youngest one isn’t an issue though, he’s be wise to separate himself from the others.
Not exactly breaking news. The older 2 can’t get themselves out of the headlines and everyone is aware of them by now.

1-Iowa, 129.0
2-Penn State, 113.5
3-Oklahoma State, 99.5

1. Penn State 137.5

2. Ohio State 96.5

3. Oklahoma State 84

4. Iowa 76
(1 + 2+ 4 + 4)/4 = 2.75 rounded into the nearest integer is 3rd place. Thanks for verifying. Thinking the average will drop after the next 4 year cycle?

We can act superior, but there is a former QB at PSU with off color hair that did this, and then everyone trusted him.
My accountant used a bookie a few years back that was a former psu player. The time frame made me think it's very possible he was doing it at psu .
At the minimum he was doing this while coaching college sports ( ncaa level). Gambling is very wide spread .

Reactions: nitlion6
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT