ADVERTISEMENT

Is BWI gone?

This whole thing is confusing. When Phil announced he sold Blue White, he said that it was great that all of his people were staying and that he was going to still try to have a weekly chat during the football season. I understand Corman might want to move the website but why the potential name change (does Rivals own BWI website name) and making members subscribe to the new board. THIS IS THE ISSUE THIS WEBSITE MUST ADDRESS. When Fight On State merged with Lions247, their account was just moved to Lions 247. They did not have to pay if they had an active subscription. We found out about Blue White being sold by a board member either receiving his Blue White in the mail or bought one at his grocery store days before I received it in the mail. I thought BWI should have let this site know before the magazine was mailed out or hit the stands.
That happened because the Scout.com network failed. That isn't what is happening here. Having a $1 rate for a year's On3 subscription will cover all subscription renewal issues between Rivals and On3, assuming you're not too cheap to spend $1.

Damn. I'm going to miss all you guys and Mary and Sekrah (sp?). So who was the hottest babe? We'll never know now. One of life's mysteries.

Speaking of mysteries, now's the time Tom to tell all you knew about Sandusky and the BOT.

I learned a lot from the AKB. Thanks everyone.

That happened because the Scout.com network failed. That isn't what is happening here. Having a $1 rate for a year's On3 subscription will cover all subscription renewal issues between Rivals and On3, assuming you're not too cheap to spend $1.
It’s not at all about cheap. It’s the principle.

Thinking of starting a poll to see which free board people prefer so we can organize a coordinated exodus.

I came here from Audibles, since that board is still around I'll probably head back there

I can't help but think fairgambit enterprises has a solution to the board closing.

fairgambit enterprises’ solution. $350/year.

blank-paper-note-pad-pen-isolated-white-26616446.jpg

I’ll be here ‘til operations cease. Then I’ll be checking On3 for you guys. I believe I still have a 247 login despite killing the premium over there in the past year or so. I don’t think either platform will be keen on us talking about options outside of them, but I have to think somebody will do a value calculation of free board traffic (ads) and consider supporting it.

I don't care about losing my username, I'll get another one, but to lose the community like this? Ain't no way in hell we're even gonna get half the people to switch over to a paysite... True customer service would have had @Tom McAndrew post here first - hey, listen up, this is what's happening... yet nothing? The deal is already announced... give us more than this thread discussing the changes.
I wonder whether it is McAndrew that is selling his goodwill or if it is Rivals that is selling and what exactly is being sold. Will Rivals still have a PSU board? Is something preventing Rivals from just eliminating the "McAndrew Board" and creating a new "Free PSU Board" in its place.

I have to believe Rivals wouldn't just stand by and let all of its BWI members leave the Rivals network without being compensated. If Rivals is being compensated, why isn't there a formal announcement by Rivals advising of the new site? If I were the purchaser, I would certainly require it as part of the compensation.

It would be nice to have the whole story. I am still holding out hope that there will continue to be a free PSU Rivals website after November 1 and that Rivals is simply contractually bound from announcing it until after November 1.

I'll probably pony up the $1 for a year but I suspect that they won't put up with my inane drivel for too long. I mostly act as comic relief (OK, that may be generous) and a pay board is only going to want quality football posts. I'm going to miss (some of) you guys rather that pay full price for serious discussion.

This was certainly crappy news to wake up to. I've enjoyed the blather and banter on this board for...what, 20 years? As for what comes next, I have an aversion to giving my credit card # to yet another infotainment source for perpetual renewal. I plan to wait for a consensus to emerge as to where we all should migrate, en masse. Is it Lions 247, a new Rivals page..???? I expect a favored alternative will rise to the surface before THE END

Reactions: Sharkies
I used to post on Fight on State Audibles board, which on now 247. I really like Mark Brennan and his content, but this board is much more active. If in fact BWI is gone, I will be disappointed, but the Audibles board seems to be the best alternate free option.

I’ve always like the free boards, and not just because of cost. I think they foster better and more diverse discussions.

Update: Just made an account on 247/Sports and tried to post a "McAndrew BWI Board roll-call" post on the Audibles board... my post is "pending approval". I presume I have to be approved to not be a bot, and won't have that issue again... strike 1 for those guys... but maybe if enough of us switch there, we won't lose this community.
That happened to me a while ago. Every time I post it says ‘pending approval’ but nothing ever gets approved. Have no idea hiw to fix it. They’re losing a huge opportunity with that nonsense.

Reactions: Sharkies
I used to post on Fight on State Audibles board, which on now 247. I really like Mark Brennan and his content, but this board is much more active. If in fact BWI is gone, I will be disappointed, but the Audibles board seems to be the best alternate free option.

I’ve always like the free boards, and not just because of cost. I think they foster better and more diverse discussions.
Maybe a large migration from this board to 247 will make it much more active. Hope so.

I stated earlier in this thread that the 247 site is likely where I am heading.

Also in the “Things that I will miss: re BWI McAndrew Board” thread I stated such and invited board members to follow me there. I hope that there will be a large migration to that site if there is no longer a Rivals free Penn State Football message board.

Also in the “Things that I will miss: re BWI McAndrew Board” thread I stated such and invited board members to follow me there. I hope that there will be a large migration to that site if there is no longer a Rivals free Penn State Football message board
I think I am missing something. When I went to join there it gave me only an option for a pay membership. Is there a way to create an account for a free message board? Thanks in advance.

247 board is a very good premium board but mainly on topic of PSU sports and sports in general.

this is by far the best board for talk on anything. is why i come here as more like a conversation you would have with friends sitting at a bar of coffee shop on a variety of topics.

I think I am missing something. When I went to join there it gave me only an option for a pay membership. Is there a way to create an account for a free message board? Thanks in advance.

No free message board, but you can still sign up and reserve your username. Just don't put in the credit card info.

This whole thing is confusing. When Phil announced he sold Blue White, he said that it was great that all of his people were staying and that he was going to still try to have a weekly chat during the football season. I understand Corman might want to move the website but why the potential name change (does Rivals own BWI website name) and making members subscribe to the new board. THIS IS THE ISSUE THIS WEBSITE MUST ADDRESS. When Fight On State merged with Lions247, their account was just moved to Lions 247. They did not have to pay if they had an active subscription. We found out about Blue White being sold by a board member either receiving his Blue White in the mail or bought one at his grocery store days before I received it in the mail. I thought BWI should have let this site know before the magazine was mailed out or hit the stands.
Gonna guess that Coman and the new site on ON3 are two distinct entities. You'll notice that ON3 makes no mention of "BlueWhiteIllustrated/BWI" while the other boards that have migrated to that platform are bringinh their names with them.

Isn’t the Audibles board still free? I believe the Fight On State Premium Total Access is the pay message board.

Did not realize that there is also a Lions Pride board as well over there that also discusses football.

Chris, I think you hit the login button and will then be prompted accordingly. It's very simple.

But if you click Join on the front page, which is logical and probably what you did, the only choice presented becomes a pay membership. Go figure.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Isn’t the Audibles board still free? I believe the Fight On State Premium Total Access is the pay message board.

Did not realize that there is also a Lions Pride board as well over there that also discusses football.
They are, but my posting abilities haven't been approved so some Mod over there is doing a very poor job.

Reactions: psu00
I like how they assume the ‘biggest message board community’ (that’s us) will automatically follow to the new site. I don’t love 247 but they have a free option and lots of OT threads. Guess we’ll see.

Is 247 a good free landing spot? Maybe we should all agree to head over there. I can’t lose your movie/TV opinions!
The value in a board is the community and members. If current free board members disperse amongst 3-4 different new options then the value of this community will be diminished no matter where users end up. Whatever happens, the user base carries more weight if aligned and mostly moves as a group to the same place. I just hope there's a free option wherever that is, because I don't pay for message board content and that would automatically cause some of the group not to join. This board has been nearly a daily internet habit for me since Plotit and being a PSU student, I'll be really bummed if it goes away. I'm hopeful that Rivals creates a free PSU board with a new name in its place.

Reddit does have some PSU subreddits already, but the format there is dramatically different and is likely to be more heavily moderated than BWI. That could be good or bad depending on your perspective. Personally I think this board is a little too lax on moderation, but Reddit will likely overcorrect that.

Hope to see you there

Also in the “Things that I will miss: re BWI McAndrew Board” thread I stated such and invited board members to follow me there. I hope that there will be a large migration to that site if there is no longer a Rivals free Penn State Football message board.
Hope to see you there O.

Reactions: psu00
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT