ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time for PSU fans to admit that we're actually pretty good?

Apparently PSU fandom is attractive to masochists.....it hurts, it hurts did I tell you it hurts? But I keep doing it!
The season started with a column promising a loss at Purdue and claiming that 6-6 was likely.
Now with 9 or 10 wins looking likely and A NY6 bowl and top 10 finish still a real possibility our best couch coaches still bitch and moan.
9 more years. I'm packing for a great time at the Orange Bowl. I'll be looking in the crowd for all the crying elite fanboys who litter this site.
GREAT POST!

Reactions: penntex
Agreed. My only complaint is how far away we look from OSU and UM. Especially UM. Our defense got totally shredded by them. Now maybe UM is the best team in the country. That remains to be seen. A bowl win over any team with a pulse would be a huge step forward.
I agree re: Michigan but OSU was there for the taking with 9 minutes left. I'm not sure, unfortunately, we will ever out recruit OSU. They just get athletes EVERY year.

Reactions: Gitzit
Agreed. My only complaint is how far away we look from OSU and UM. Especially UM. Our defense got totally shredded by them. Now maybe UM is the best team in the country. That remains to be seen. A bowl win over any team with a pulse would be a huge step forward.
With the way PSU has played outside of Michigan, I’m starting to think it was a fluke. But there always seems to be a fluke blowout loss, especially after a bye week, and Franklin needs to change that.

I feel like teams typically win when they have two weeks to prepare. I hope Franklin consults with folks on that, cause in my mind it’s his biggest coaching flaw - having his team ready after a bye week.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
With the way PSU has played outside of Michigan, I’m starting to think it was a fluke. But there always seems to be a fluke blowout loss, especially after a bye week, and Franklin needs to change that.

I feel like teams typically win when they have two weeks to prepare. I hope Franklin consults with folks on that, cause in my mind it’s his biggest coaching flaw - having his team ready after a bye week.
So if there is always a loss after a bye week, how is it a fluke? Michigan has one regular season loss in nearly 2 seasons and whipped our a** at the LOS all game...not a fluke, but a bad matchup for how our team is constructed. JF has never played well in AA (I don't count the covid year as real football). Michigan beat us in the area that we have lacked in "big games"..the LOS. OSU the same thing with their pass rush. These aren't flukes, but trends annually. JF needs to fix those.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
We would beat some of those teams pretty convincingly - UNC, USC, Oregon level teams
The top ten as of now, sorry I don't see one convincing win. Per your statement I see a 2-10 record.
Georgia
Ohio State
Michigan
TCU
Tennessee
Oregon
LSU
USC
Alabama
Clemson

Reactions: scrivener
So if there is always a loss after a bye week, how is it a fluke? Michigan has one regular season loss in nearly 2 seasons and whipped our a** at the LOS all game...not a fluke, but a bad matchup for how our team is constructed. JF has never played well in AA (I don't count the covid year as real football). Michigan beat us in the area that we have lacked in "big games"..the LOS. OSU the same thing with their pass rush. These aren't flukes, but trends annually. JF needs to fix those.
It's a fluke when your defense plays well, even dominant, in 9 games and looks like it is totally lost in one.

Reactions: royboy
Problem is with Franklin it is always what could have been. Should be a 1 loss team right in thick of playoff talk. Instead, staring at another Citrus Bowl and second Fiddle to the conference darlings.
Well the real pro
It probably will come as a shock to you but my guess is Franklin knows that. I also suspect no one was more upset about the Michigan and OSU losses than Franklin, the coaches and players. I thought Dan Orlovsky had a good point when he said during the Minnesota game that the problem with the 4 team college playoff format is that many think that if your team doesn’t make the playoffs it stinks. That clearly describes many who post on here. I wonder how many who predicted losses to Purdue, Minnesota, Maryland (pick any) and were certain PSU would fold after the Michigan and OSU losses refuse to acknowledge that the team has bounced back in a big way and is improving as the season goes along. In my book teams that improve as the season goes along is a sign of (gasp) well coached teams. Maryland is dying to make this a real rivalry and played Michigan tough (albeit early in the year). Despite not having their best OL, best DB and one of their best linebackers, PSU humiliated Maryland yesterday. They shut out a team that averages more than 30 points s game and held it to 27 total yards at half (whereas PSU had 27 points). They also are getting good performances from true freshmen and Franklin is playing many and developing depth and giving next year’s QB meaningful playing time. He also seems to be more engaged on the sideline and the team seems to have responded to that. I want to beat Michigan and OSU too, but am quite pleased that unlike many on here who kissed the season goodbye after those losses (and probably predicted 8-4 or 7-5 records) Franklin and the team felt otherwise.

Well the real pro

It probably will come as a shock to you but my guess is Franklin knows that. I also suspect no one was more upset about the Michigan and OSU losses than Franklin, the coaches and players. I thought Dan Orlovsky had a good point when he said during the Minnesota game that the problem with the 4 team college playoff format is that many think that if your team doesn’t make the playoffs it stinks. That clearly describes many who post on here. I wonder how many who predicted losses to Purdue, Minnesota, Maryland (pick any) and were certain PSU would fold after the Michigan and OSU losses refuse to acknowledge that the team has bounced back in a big way and is improving as the season goes along. In my book teams that improve as the season goes along is a sign of (gasp) well coached teams. Maryland is dying to make this a real rivalry and played Michigan tough (albeit early in the year). Despite not having their best OL, best DB and one of their best linebackers, PSU humiliated Maryland yesterday. They shut out a team that averages more than 30 points s game and held it to 27 total yards at half (whereas PSU had 27 points). They also are getting good performances from true freshmen and Franklin is playing many and developing depth and giving next year’s QB meaningful playing time. He also seems to be more engaged on the sideline and the team seems to have responded to that. I want to beat Michigan and OSU too, but am quite pleased that unlike many on here who kissed the season goodbye after those losses (and probably predicted 8-4 or 7-5 records) Franklin and the team felt otherwise.
This^^^^plus 100.

Reactions: NittanyChris
It's a fluke when your defense plays well, even dominant, in 9 games and looks like it is totally lost in one.
Well, when the competition level increases, that's when u see what kind of a roster u have, coaching, strength training, etc. 75% of the schedule we can beat on sheer talent

The top ten as of now, sorry I don't see one convincing win. Per your statement I see a 2-10 record.
Georgia
Ohio State
Michigan
TCU
Tennessee
Oregon
LSU
USC
Alabama
Clemson
It's delusional to think we would beat any of these mentioned teams 'convincingly' considering JFs overall record vs top 10 teams. Some are in dreamland.

I am objectively critical of PSU. Not like you who is 100% negative, glass half empty on every single positive take.

We played a good game today.... Maryland sucks

We have played and beaten some good teams.....all the teams we have beaten are bad teams

We were never in the O$U game as they weren't really trying until the 4th quarter

Allar won't do anything for us and we will continue to always lose to Mich and O$U into eternity

We are doomed to never ever have a prayer of winning a national championship ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever evercevercever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever again!

The beat goes on with your hideous schtick.
This doesn't make sense--I said I'm pleased with the outcome of every game but Michigan and Purdue. I think we played great for 50 minutes against Ohio State. And not once have I said anything negative about Allar. I think Allar can be special and we should be competing for titles in 2024 with him. Half of what you said are things I've never said. I have said we haven't beaten a good team (we haven't) and I thought we played a perfect game against Maryland although without their QB being healthy had no chance. I even defend us allowing Northwestern to hand around. You're confusing me with others. You agree with a large majority of things I say though you're now denying it.

If you are worse than the top 9 schools and better than numbers 11-131, you are a top ten school. I’m not sure why people are examining what they think PSU’s record would be against top
9 when it can be 0-9 and PSU would still be a top 10 program.

Reactions: hlstone
It's delusional to think we would beat any of these mentioned teams 'convincingly' considering JFs overall record vs top 10 teams. Some are in dreamland.
And how many top 10 teams has he played outside of OSU and Michigan? Not enough data to be credible.

Reactions: hlstone
And how many top 10 teams has he played outside of OSU and Michigan? Not enough data to be credible.
Those two are usually the two biggest games of our season, regardless of ranking. Yes, the data shows those results haven't been good. There is also not enough data for the opposite of the posters point about psu beating a few of the top 10 'convincingly.' What data shows that we could? It works both ways.

Those two are usually the two biggest games of our season, regardless of ranking. Yes, the data shows those results haven't been good. There is also not enough data for the opposite of the posters point about psu beating a few of the top 10 'convincingly.' What data shows that we could? It works both ways.
Exactly, it’s all guesswork. Maybe Franklin isn’t good against OSU and Michigan as opposed to not being good against top 10 teams. Hard to say, but it’s a useless statistic.

I see 4-5 wins, so it’s all guesswork and how you look at it.

We'll find out in PSU's Bowl Game and it's eating up all the fraud PSU fans (you know, the ones who predicted we'd be lucky to win 7 games this year before the season started.... and then it was "we" wouldn't go 10-2..... blah, blah, blah.........).

We'll find out in PSU's Bowl Game and it's eating up all the fraud PSU fans (you know, the ones who predicted we'd be lucky to win 7 games this year before the season started.... and then it was "we" wouldn't go 10-2..... blah, blah, blah.........).

Some of us don't believe bowl games mean anything
I said 10-2...not sure why so many here are pretending they thought we'd win 10 games this year especially those that thought Purdue would/could beat us

Exactly, it’s all guesswork. Maybe Franklin isn’t good against OSU and Michigan as opposed to not being good against top 10 teams. Hard to say, but it’s a useless statistic.
OSU is pretty much always a top 10 team...Michigan the last couple of yrs. But, I agree...a useless stat.

A 6-4 team is 1 game over .500. I don’t consider them big wins. Others may differ, and that’s fine.

My only take is if you’re bragging about wins over Purdue, Maryland, and Ohio, (the Bobcats,…. not the Buckeyes), that sort of speaks for itself.

The blunt reality is if they can’t find a way to beat Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan St then they are not in contention for a Big Ten title and, by default, not in contention for a playoff spot. It is what it is and the lopsided Big Ten divisions don’t help.
No, a 6-4 team is two games over .500. They have won six lost four. Six minus four is still two.

A 5-4 team is ONE game over .500.

For a 6-4 team to be .500 it would now have to lose TWO games to be 6-6.

No, a 6-4 team is two games over .500. They have won six lost four. Six minus four is still two.

The reason people say 1 game is if you change one outcome they're at 500
I use your method but there's logic with both.

If you are worse than the top 9 schools and better than numbers 11-131, you are a top ten school. I’m not sure why people are examining what they think PSU’s record would be against top
9 when it can be 0-9 and PSU would still be a top 10 program.
Bowl games now mean nothing, how many with a chance to be drafted are going to sit them out, on both sides.

Well the real pro

Yes Franklin is more engaged and I like that.

1) We are knocking on the door of a top 10 ranking with 2 winnable games remaining.

2) The only 2 losses are to undefeated #2 and undefeated #3.

3) 2 wins over 7-3 teams and 2 wins over 6-4 teams. Two of those 4 are leading a division of their conference and may play for their conference championship.

4) We seem to be getting better in spite of more injuries and more young players pressed into key roles.

5) Most 2 loss teams remaining have had weaker schedules to this point and some have games remaining that are likely losses.

Now I know we aren't a playoff team this year but we aren't that far off and we are a very young team and we seem to be improving each week.

Is this a glass is half full view point? Are you really serious?

PSU will finish no higher than 3rd place in their own division.
No BIG championship game appearance.
No CFP appearance.

All the wins have come against 2nd tier and bottom dweller teams with losing records.

Correct - simple math is so elusive to the posing-troll fans when they're on their crusades to discredit PSU's accomplishments (but they're "PSU fans", don't you know, because they say "we" while denigrating PSU.... LMFAO).

The state of State…..

We are a very good team on the way to getting better.

If we were in the PAC 12….we would win it.
if we were in the Big 12…we would win it,
if we were in ACC …..it’s ours
BIG 10 or SEC … not so much. But we are gaining. Next year I like what Im seeing.
That is all.

Mic drop.

2 loss Utah has played teams with combined 53-43 record.

2 loss Alabama has played teams with a 57-40 record.

2 loss Ole Miss has played teams with a 52-46 record.

2 loss LSU has played teams with a 59-38 record.
etc.
2 loss PSU has played teams with a 57-42 record.

All of the above 2 loss teams are currently ranked higher than PSU. Only LSU and Alabama have played a schedule with a collective record slightly better than PSU. Utah and Ole Miss played teams with a collective record slightly worse than PSU.

Those that say that PSU's schedule and record is not impressive aren't understanding that our schedule is as tough as the average 2 loss team with an average of a top 10 ranking. Tell me another team whose only 2 losses came to currently undefeated teams. There isn't one.
I think Georgia is top tier this year. There are a few second tier teams like Ohio State, Michigan, etc. I’d put us in a third tier. A good but not great team. But I think we’re waxing, not waning.

The state of State…..

We are a very good team on the way to getting better.

If we were in the PAC 12….we would win it.
if we were in the Big 12…we would win it,
if we were in ACC …..it’s ours
BIG 10 or SEC … not so much. But we are gaining. Next year I like what Im seeing.
That is all.

Mic drop.
I don't know if we'd win the Pac XII/Big XII--there's less layups but we'd have a much better shot. USC might be better than us. I think we could beat anyone in the Big XII but some of those games would be tough. I'd say we'd make the Big XII CG though. I do think we'd easily win the ACC this year.

Wouldn't put MSU in the win column just yet.
Why not? Did beating Rutgers by 6 scare you?
Michigan State's best wins are Illinois and Wisconsin in OT. It should be a problem
Crazier things have happened but we should be a large favorite and expect to win easily.

Our defense would dominate ANY Pac-10 team as well as TCU. We'd beat Oregan, USC and TCU of those top ten mentioned and I think Clemson is weak this year. We're probably about the 6th or 7th best team in the nation right now if healthy. Not bad for a rebuilding season.

Our defense would dominate ANY Pac-10 team as well as TCU. We'd beat Oregan, USC and TCU of those top ten mentioned and I think Clemson is weak this year. We're probably about the 6th or 7th best team in the nation right now if healthy. Not bad for a rebuilding season.
Those Pac XII games aren't as easy as you're claiming--especially USC. Don't you believe USC and Oregon would be favored against us? Honestly, they all might be but I'd be putting money on us against Clemson/TCU but not the Pac XII schools. They'd still put up points.

Why not? Did beating Rutgers by 6 scare you?
Michigan State's best wins are Illinois and Wisconsin in OT. It should be a problem
Crazier things have happened but we should be a large favorite and expect to win easily.

You should know by now that the transitive property of equality doesn't work in football. MSU has always presented problems for PSU no matter what's happened before. So I wouldn't be surprised if PSU blows them out, but I also wouldn't be surprised if PSU loses.

You should know by now that the transitive property of equality doesn't work in football. MSU has always presented problems for PSU no matter what's happened before. So I wouldn't be surprised if PSU blows them out, but I also wouldn't be surprised if PSU loses.
Anyone can lose to anyone (kind of) but wouldn't you agree the expectation is for us to beat them comfortably this year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT