ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time for PSU fans to admit that we're actually pretty good?

For those who keep saying we need to beat UM and OSU for the playoff, we may not have to in a few years. Aren’t they working to expand to 12 by 2024. Also Big Ten alignment has worked against us and likely set to change when expansion occurs. Doesn’t mean I don’t think we need to compete with OSU and UM but we may get some chances at other schools in games that will mean something in the CFP soon. Then everyone can shift to what a horrible CFP record Franklin has…or hopefully not.

I like PSU's chances in the Playoff with a Neutral Crew than playing in b1g homer Conference with their corrupt, hack, cheating crews (did you see some of the spots against PSU and for MD this past week??? How about the repeated uncalled mugging of our TE??? 3 PFs on PSU when MD players got in PSU players faces first and were running their mouths the entire game while getting their asses kicked - embarrassing...).

What a joke of a post - PSU is 11th in the AP Poll, on a neutral field, PSU would probably be favored over 14 teams in the Top 25. You do realize there are 5 3-loss teams in the Top 25 - 2 from the laughably weak B12, 1 from the Pac12 and 1 from the laughably weak ACC and ND. You also have 9-1 CCU and 8-2 Cincinnati and UCF ranked. You have a bunch of weak-ass 8-2 ACC, B12 and Pac12 teams ranked.... and you're going to claim PSU plays a weak schedule??? LMFAO, nice try ASWPer.
The thing I like most about you is that you call everyone that you disagree with, a Pitt fan, even if they have never seen a Pitt game that didn't involve PSU or if they mock their ridiculous fan base. Keep up the good work! 👊👊

I like PSU's chances in the Playoff with a Neutral Crew than playing in b1g homer Conference with their corrupt, hack, cheating crews (did you see some of the spots against PSU and for MD this past week??? How about the repeated uncalled mugging of our TE??? 3 PFs on PSU when MD players got in PSU players faces first and were running their mouths the entire game while getting their asses kicked - embarrassing...).
It was much more fun watching Penn State play before the b1g when there was no b1g biased officials and they had a chance to play for the national championship every 3,4,5 years.

The thing I like most about you is that you call everyone that you disagree with, a Pitt fan, even if they have never seen a Pitt game that didn't involve PSU or if they mock their ridiculous fan base. Keep up the good work! 👊👊
lol--he's like a toddler that only knows two insults. That and "moron"

Reactions: heckmans
lol ok...a 10 win "regular" season ceiling isn't getting PSU into the playoffs (possibly until expanded playoffs). So, regardless, it's not good enough for many at the current CFP structure.
But they decide the 4-team playoff AFTER the conference championship games and CJF has won 11 games under that criteria too.

I think people just like to make up things to complain about CJF.

Reactions: john4psu
But they decide the 4-team playoff AFTER the conference championship games and CJF has won 11 games under that criteria too.

Did he make the playoff that season? Or did a blowout and bad loss prevent them from getting in?

I'm not a Franklin fan but he's never won 11 games in a 12 game regular season. That's just a fact. That's also most of the time going to prevent you from a 4 team playoff. Thankfully since the Big Ten is still the Big Ten it would be good enough a lot of times to get in with a 12-team though this year would be interesting without a quality win.

Ok...and in those 11 win (including bowl) seasons, there wasn't a playoff appearance. Not making things up.

Last edited:
Where exactly would you believe that hitting the portal will improve the team, other than at WR?

The lines have a better chance of improving by getting the young returning players, about everyone other than Tarburton, Mustipher and Fashanu, to add as much muscle as possible in the S&C program this coming off season.

The OL already has plenty of strength and size given how young it is other than Effner if he returns. No reason the OL can't come back much better if each returning player gets stronger.

With all the young talent that will improve in the off season S&C as well as within Spring practice I expect less help from the portal this off season, other than possibly at WR and for positions where numbers may be too low such as QB if PSU loses 1 to the portal and possibly at RB with a player that is willing to get a PSU MBA and travel with the team as a backup to Singleton and Allen.......

Same with the DL. Especially the DE's, as Chop, DDS and Isaac all look like they could put on 15 lbs of muscle and still be quick enough to do their jobs in the pass rush while adding to their ability to hold their ground against the running of teams like UM.

Big, stout, top level war daddy DT's don't go into the portal. Olinemen that are better than what the improved PSU oline has don't either. They all go to the NFL......
Soo true

Did he make the playoff that season? Or did a blowout and bad loss prevent them from getting in?

I'm not a Franklin fan but he's never won 11 games in a 12 game regular season. That's just a fact. That's also most of the time going to prevent you from a 4 team playoff. Thankfully since the Big Ten is still the Big Ten it would be good enough a lot of times to get in with a 12-team though this year would be interesting without a quality win.
List the current coaches that have went 11-1. I didn’t look it up but I’m sure the list is extremely small. Agree he has to get over the UM/OSU hump but when/if he can for a few years the power can shift more favorably to recruiting. If he doesn’t who are you bringing in that will? How long until you find THE guy. He’s not the best coach at this point but he’s very good and I feel a good ambassador for my alma mater. I’ll be excited when the playoff system expands to see how he will fare.

Reactions: 81b&w
If PSU ends up 11-2 this year and ranked inside the top ten for the 4th time in the last 6 non-covid seasons and you still want the coach fired, then I have no argument. We just have different definitions of success.

If PSU ends up 11-2 this year and ranked inside the top ten for the 4th time in the last 6 non-covid seasons and you still want the coach fired, then I have no argument. We just have different definitions of success.
Who wants him fired on this thread? The problem is, with the subtext that you're posting about along with others on here, is that people should be happy with being a top 10 program rather than being a playoff program…. why can't we be both? I don't like falling into the conventional fire this person fire that person argument because it's lazy… but in my opinion I do expect more for a program of our size and Alumni base

Who wants him fired on this thread? The problem is, with the subtext that you're posting about along with others on here, is that people should be happy with being a top 10 program rather than being a playoff program…. why can't we be both? I don't like falling into the conventional fire this person fire that person argument because it's lazy… but in my opinion I do expect more for a program of our size and Alumni base
Umm, it was a rebuilding year that most had pegged at 8 wins. You tell people before the season that half our OL would be injured, Porter and Jacobs would be out, and we've had to rely on a true freshman at LT, RB, LB, and many others for depth as well as a bunch of RS Fr and So players. I'm thinking they would say we'd be lucky to have a winning record.

Yet here we are looking like 10-2 regular season, top 10 ranking, and a NY6 bowl. Still the same pessimists that said we'd lose to Purdue, Auburn, Minnesota, and were worried about Indiana and Maryland are now saying top 10 isn't going to cut it.

Serious question, is there anyone that actually wants to be around you in real life? I couldn't stand being around someone that is so persistently negative.

List the current coaches that have went 11-1. I didn’t look it up but I’m sure the list is extremely small. Agree he has to get over the UM/OSU hump but when/if he can for a few years the power can shift more favorably to recruiting. If he doesn’t who are you bringing in that will? How long until you find THE guy. He’s not the best coach at this point but he’s very good and I feel a good ambassador for my alma mater. I’ll be excited when the playoff system expands to see how he will fare.
And you're allowed to like him and think he should stay just like others see him as Richt and want to find the next Kirby Smart to take the program to the next level. There's no wrong.

Reactions: scrivener
Many of our fans are delusional trying to rewrite our history. 11-2 is historically a great season for PSU surpassed only a few times in the last 40 years. If Sandusky never happened Urban may have landed here after Joe and that could have been special.

Reactions: mcpat
Umm, it was a rebuilding year that most had pegged at 8 wins. You tell people before the season that half our OL would be injured, Porter and Jacobs would be out, and we've had to rely on a true freshman at LT, RB, LB, and many others for depth as well as a bunch of RS Fr and So players. I'm thinking they would say we'd be lucky to have a winning record.

Yet here we are looking like 10-2 regular season, top 10 ranking, and a NY6 bowl. Still the same pessimists that said we'd lose to Purdue, Auburn, Minnesota, and were worried about Indiana and Maryland are now saying top 10 isn't going to cut it.

Serious question, is there anyone that actually wants to be around you in real life? I couldn't stand being around someone that is so persistently negative.
Lol...how was I negative in my last post? I said I don't fall into the fire him mode and aspire for more. And, get real with "rebuild." This isn't old days CFB...u have to win today, in present yr. Gone are the days of the old style redshirting all freshmen and hoping they give u 2 yrs. PSU should NEVER be in a rebuild mode where you personally are expecting 8 wins. Michigan lost a crap of ton of talent from their playoff team, and are in position to play for a conf title. U make it seem like PSUs problems exclusive to them. Some of the injuries u mention are just in the last week or two. ridiculous...but not surprising.

Last edited:
I'm a Franklin fan, but he's 2-13 vs top ten teams. What makes anyone think that's going to change? Because we are so young? He's had young teams before with tons of talent and it hasn't resulted in anything more than what we have right now. He's been here 9 years. Sometimes have to admit that you are what you are.

Reactions: MacNit07
We're resorting to complaining about officials after we dominate an opponent now?

1) Let's dissect this. PSU is 0-2, and was not competitive vs the undefeated teams you reference. PSU is undefeated against teams on the schedule that are not ranked. Humbly, you are adding a lot of SOS weight for losing badly to very good teams. Aside from that, 6-4 in CFB likely means that teams are no better than .500 in their conference. Neither of those are exactly a glowing endorsement.

2) You have literally created multiple threads doing this....And if there are people who "tear down" PSU, there are others that can't see the forest through the trees on the state of PSU football. Humbly, no one cares about a NY6 bowl. Not even the teams playing in them. JF has put PSU squarely in the distant 2nd tier of CFB. The spade to call a spade here is that Franklin is 0-10 against top 10 teams since 2016. PSU is not competitive with the top tier of CFB. If that is "pretty good," then I guess PSU is pretty good. If that is what you want, then life is good. If 3rd in the division and "pretty good" is what you think the expectation for JF's salary is, then everything is going according to plan.
CJF didn’t “put us in the second tier”, we’ve been there for almost 30 years (and sometimes below second tier during that time frame). We haven’t been the power house some seem to think we’ve been and then throw in the damage the Sandusky situation out us in, we’re pretty fortunate to be where we’re at.

We're resorting to complaining about officials after we dominate an opponent n

CJF didn’t “put us in the second tier”, we’ve been there for almost 30 years (and sometimes below second tier during that time frame). We haven’t been the power house some seem to think we’ve been and then throw in the damage the Sandusky situation out us in, we’re pretty fortunate to be where we’re at.
I agree with you on the first part...but we are now almost 12 yrs since the JS scandal...time to not use that anymore for softening JF's issues the last few yrs. But, I get what u are saying.

I agree with you on the first part...but we are now almost 12 yrs since the JS scandal...time to not use that anymore for softening JF's issues the last few yrs. But, I get what u are saying.
Even though we’re 12 years out, it hasn’t gone away and it would have affected any coach trying to build the program back up. It’s impossible to say where we would be right now if it had never happened. So I don’t think it’s fair to act like it never happened.

Even though we’re 12 years out, it hasn’t gone away and it would have affected any coach trying to build the program back up. It’s impossible to say where we would be right now if it had never happened. So I don’t think it’s fair to act like it never happened.
Of course...I'm not acting like it never happened. No doubt the immediate stain was used against us in recruiting and other facets. I think those days are pretty much done. But no doubt, JF got us back in the right direction after BOB got us on our feet. Two very critical people to where our program is today.

Of course...I'm not acting like it never happened. No doubt the immediate stain was used against us in recruiting and other facets. I think those days are pretty much done. But no doubt, JF got us back in the right direction after BOB got us on our feet. Two very critical people to where our program is today.
Maybe those days are done because of Franklin and the way he recruits. We will never know how many recruits didn’t come here because of the stain and some may still not be coming because of it.

Maybe those days are done because of Franklin and the way he recruits. We will never know how many recruits didn’t come here because of the stain and some may still not be coming because of it.
Agreed about how many didn't come here...that is a large group I'm sure of likely some really great players. As for today, I don't think it factors one bit...current recruits were pretty much elementary school students then.

Agreed about how many didn't come here...that is a large group I'm sure of likely some really great players. As for today, I don't think it factors one bit...current recruits were pretty much elementary school students then.
But you don’t know that…who knows what their parents are telling them, or their friends, or their coaches. I’m quite sure there are still recruits who don’t even have us on their list because of the “reputation” of Penn State. Again, can’t be proven, but also can’t be dismissed.

Seasons since 1980 that PSU has been better than it has been under CJF in 2016, 2017, 2019 and (if things finish 11-2 this year) 2022:

1981 (arguably)
1991 (arguably)

Seasons since 1980 that PSU has been better than it has been under CJF in 2016, 2017, 2019 and (if things finish 11-2 this year) 2022:

1981 (arguably)
1991 (arguably)
Multiple yrs of either playing for a natl title, or winning one, in that group.

Multiple yrs of either playing for a natl title, or winning one, in that group.
No doubt. My point is that it’s been awhile. If the argument is that we should be doing better, than it probably applies starting in around 1995. Which is just after joining the Big Ten. CJF certainly isn’t doing worse than our history, unless we’re including the 70s and 80s.

1981 (arguably)
1991 (arguably)

1995 we go undefeated but for the cheating b1g.

• Haha
No doubt. My point is that it’s been awhile. If the argument is that we should be doing better, than it probably applies starting in around 1995. Which is just after joining the Big Ten. CJF certainly isn’t doing worse than our history, unless we’re including the 70s and 80s.
But, just b/c our history (of a certain time period) was one way, doesn't mean it can't be another. UGA hadn't won squat since the 80's, and now look at them...Bama was cheeks after Stallings for many years....OSU under Cooper was almost but not quite. PSU isn't exclusive as a major blue blood with multiple decades of a title drought.

But, just b/c our history (of a certain time period) was one way, doesn't mean it can't be another. UGA hadn't won squat since the 80's, and now look at them...Bama was cheeks after Stallings for many years....OSU under Cooper was almost but not quite. PSU isn't exclusive as a major blue blood with multiple decades of a title drought.
You make good points. But every time CJF speaks about what is needed to complete the next step, people call him a whiner. There’s more to it than just his salary (talking to others now). We were late to the game with NIL. Some of that is on the state and some is on the departed AD. And I believe him when he talks about dorms and other things that may sway a 4-5 Star kid to PSU vs his other options. If we really want to be a top 5 program instead of a top 10 program then I think the Administration has to act like it as much as anyone.

And the goal is to move to the first tier

There is no such thing as a "rebuilding year" in college football--especially after the past two seasons. 10 wins should be considered the least thing we consider acceptable while acknowledging sometimes we'll miss but not often.

You make good points. But every time CJF speaks about what is needed to complete the next step, people call him a whiner. There’s more to it than just his salary (talking to others now). We were late to the game with NIL. Some of that is on the state and some is on the departed AD. And I believe him when he talks about dorms and other things that may sway a 4-5 Star kid to PSU vs his other options. If we really want to be a top 5 program instead of a top 10 program then I think the Administration has to act like it as much as anyone.
Well said...good stuff.

We wanted and needed more depth and we've gotten that. We've gotten the most complete freshman class in ages and have used them. Personally, I'm very happy with the trajectory with the way JF is taking our team and I expect good times are coming

Reactions: mcpat and royboy
Their parents were certainly not in elementary school then. That stain will be on the program for decades. It is silly to underestimate it.

Their parents were certainly not in elementary school then. That stain will be on the program for decades. It is silly to underestimate it.

Sandusky's abuse of children was enabled by The Second Mile, not PSU. Furthermore, the failure by the AG to properly regulate The Second Mile was due to the cozy relationship the Charity had with the AG (the Chairman of TSM held a Campaign Fundraiser hosted at his home for AG Corbutt during his Gubernatorial run in the midst of the AG's Grand Jury Jnvestigation that named the Charity for Pete's Sake! Corbutt also approved a large multi-million State Grant to TSM despite knowing the Charity was being investigated for sexual abuse of children!). But you keep peddling this bullshit false-narrative that PSU had anything to do with Sandusky's abuse of the Children's Charity he founded while the people responsible for making sure this shouldn't happen - especially the State of PA Children's Services and the AG. A whole bunch of people at the Charity and in the Pennsylvania State Government enabled Sandusky's abuse of the Charity, not PSU.

Sandusky's abuse of children was enabled by The Second Mile, not PSU. Furthermore, the failure by the AG to properly regulate The Second Mile was due to the cozy relationship the Charity had with the AG (the Chairman of TSM held a Campaign Fundraiser hosted at his home for AG Corbutt during his Gubernatorial run in the midst of the AG's Grand Jury Jnvestigation that named the Charity for Pete's Sake! Corbutt also approved a large multi-million State Grant to TSM despite knowing the Charity was being investigated for sexual abuse of children!). But you keep peddling this bullshit false-narrative that PSU had anything to do with Sandusky's abuse of the Children's Charity he founded while the people responsible for making sure this shouldn't happen - especially the State of PA Children's Services and the AG. A whole bunch of people at the Charity and in the Pennsylvania State Government enabled Sandusky's abuse of the Charity, not PSU.
I agree with you for the most part and I do not peddle any narrative. But absolutely none of that matters in the court of public opinion. The narrative was set 10 years ago and accepted by the general public. The stain will last for decades. Mention PSU to anyone in the country and the first or second thought is Sandusky. We are extremely fortunate that we have Franklin who is helping to clean that stain by serving as an exemplary ambassador of the University.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT