ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any chance we get an at large bid next Sunday??

Zero chance we get in. Everything could go our way and we'll still be out. It could've been a tournament team but some wasted opportunities when all our guys were playing and bad luck with injury/suspension. Limited opportunities out of conference because of the crappy schedule. Limited opportunities within the conference because the conference was down. Needed a gaudy record to get consideration. Nebraska is sweating it with a 13-5 conference record. PSU basketball is on a slower learning curve.. hopefully, our schedule is improved next year and the players realize every game matters.

Accepting the reality that they're outside looking in is not rooting against them You believing they're getting in when reason says otherwise doesn't make you a better fan
Well said. Nothing I'd love more than to see us get in, but I don't need to try and fool myself into thinking we have a good chance. Just as I won't pretend that Barkley got screwed out of the Heisman when he probably wouldn't have been on my ballot, or I don't need to complain about the refs every game in every sport, thinking there is a big conspiracy against us.

I guess I just have the ability to see things objectively, something that BushwoodNate lacks...

No, I don't think we're going to get in but it's aggravating knowing we're better than many of the teams that will get in. We're certainly in the top 64. Look at a team like Radford--and there's many like them--they're going to get in. And how many people actually think they could beat us?

No, I don't think we're going to get in but it's aggravating knowing we're better than many of the teams that will get in. We're certainly in the top 64. Look at a team like Radford--and there's many like them--they're going to get in. And how many people actually think they could beat us?
It's the beauty of the NCAA tournament (and by extension, Championship Week).

68....but, yeah, you're right but that's how college sports should be IMO. All conference winners should get their shot. Without that the tournament would be 24-32 teams and we wouldn't deserve to be in IMO

For example, Cleveland State is one game away from winning their way into the NCAA tournament despite being 12-22 (6-12) by winning four straight games to get there. I mean, sure their reward would be a play-in game then maybe a matchup with UVa in which they might lose by 50 but I love the fact they have something to play for...unlike in FBS where half the teams have no chance the day the season begins and most are done by mid-October.

Reactions: Nitwit
It's the beauty of the NCAA tournament (and by extension, Championship Week).
It is the beauty of the tournament, I agree. But it's also not fair that a deserving team like us gets to sit on the sideline and watch a 12-22 team lose to an OSU by 40 points--a team that we beat.

It is the beauty of the tournament, I agree. But it's also not fair that a deserving team like us gets to sit on the sideline and watch a 12-22 team lose to an OSU by 40 points--a team that we beat.
Ohio St won't play a team like that.

And when I look back at great memories of the first weekend, I think of teams like Lehigh, Vermont, Bucknell, Norfolk St, Hampton, Santa Clara, FGCU, Davidson, etc. Michigan St gets upset by a .500 Washington or Mississippi St team and it doesn't have near the gravity of Mid Tenessee St knocking them off. The last thing the tourney needs is more sub-.500 teams from power conferences, even if they would be favored over the Radford's of the world.

Lunardi was on 5 minutes ago and his first four out are ND, Okie St, Marquette, and Louisville. Next four out Syracuse, PSU, Boise St and Nebraska.

This.

I love upsets, but any team 14 seed and below aren’t contributing to the best 68 teams in CBB. This year you could have 12-19 or 12-20 SWAC team going. That’s like a 3-8 team going to a bowl game.

I know they won their conference tourney, but you make RPI, BPI, Quality wins such a big deal. Those teams have none of that.

A team who has 3 wins against a top 12 team and 21 wins overall should be in over a team like St Bonnie,who best win was #16 playing in a average conference.

Reactions: PSU65

Honestly they way we are playing right now we could beat half the field. Do you think St Bonnie, Bama, UCLA, and any tourney champ 12seed and below could beat us??

Reactions: PSU65
This.

I love upsets, but any team 14 seed and below aren’t contributing to the best 68 teams in CBB. This year you could have 12-19 or 12-20 SWAC team going. That’s like a 3-8 team going to a bowl game.

I know they won their conference tourney, but you make RPI, BPI, Quality wins such a big deal. Those teams have none of that.

A team who has 3 wins against a top 12 team and 21 wins overall should be in over a team like St Bonnie,who best win was #16 playing in a average conference.
What criteria are you using to keep stating that Ohio St is a top 12 team?

68....but, yeah, you're right but that's how college sports should be IMO. All conference winners should get their shot. Without that the tournament would be 24-32 teams and we wouldn't deserve to be in IMO

It should be the same in football too right? But you and your anti Penn State crap said we shouldn’t get in if we win our conference,right??

Honestly they way we are playing right now we could beat half the field. Do you think St Bonnie, Bama, UCLA, and any tourney champ 12seed and below could beat us??
Of course. Did you not watch our last 80 minutes of the regular season or the first 35 at MSG?

It's cute that we are suddenly this juggernaut...without Mike, we could lose to just about any team in the tourney. We could also beat most of them. Consistency has been a problem since November.

The way we are playing right now? Nate, we lost 4 of the last 6. Yes, it was against good teams, and you face good teams in the tournament. Had we won 4 of 6 we'd be in.

Reactions: bdgan
The way we are playing right now? Nate, we lost 4 of the last 6. Yes, it was against good teams, and you face good teams in the tournament. Had we won 4 of 6 we'd be in.

I meant second half of the season. I still say we played better in the losing 4 out of last 6then Bama and OU have.

The program is on the right track. We had our beast season in quit some time. I’m very excited for next season. But it’s sad 3-4 of you continue to try to bring everything the programs accomplish down.

I meant second half of the season. I still say we played better in the losing 4 out of last 6 then Bama and OU have.

The program is on the right track. We had our beast season in quit some time. I’m very excited for next season. But it’s sad 3-4 of you continue to try to bring everything the programs accomplish down.
I'm not trying to bring anything down Nate, and your suggestion that I am is absurd. I just try to be realistic. I would suggest you are not. You credit this team for being far better than it is. Sure it's improved, but it does not deserve an NCAA bid just because it's "dear old State". As I've said, I only watch our games, but I have looked at the numbers and schedules of the other teams you think are beneath us and I just don't see it. I wish I did. Others, who presumably know more about this than I do, don't see it either and that's why no one has us in the tournament. That could change. Upsets could knock other bubble teams out and we may sneak in, but the odds are long. I understand you are a big fan, but you are setting yourself up for a big disappointment when the NCAA selections are announced. If we don't get in, don't blame the selection committee. Blame the team for losing games they should have won, and blame your unreasonable expectations. That said Nate, I am off to slumber and off this topic until Sunday. If we get in, I will be back to congratulate you, and the team. Peace.

Please look at St Bonaventure, Alabama wins and tell me who they beat that’s better then OSU?

This Penn State squad deserves a bid. It finished with 21 wins in one of the best conferences in the country.

Please look at St Bonaventure, Alabama wins and tell me who they beat that’s better then OSU?

This Penn State squad deserves a bid. It finished with 21 wins in one of the best conferences in the country.

The Big Ten is the 5th best conference in the country this year.

As for Alabama, they beat:
Away: Florida, LSU
Neutral: BYU
Home: Auburn, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Rhode Island

All 8 of those are probably better wins than any win we have over a team not named Ohio State. And that's our problem. Looking at our 21 wins, what is the 4th best win that we had this season? Nebraska at home I guess? Maryland at home?

Plus, Alabama also could very well be in the NIT with us. I think they need to win a game or two in St Louis.

But what's the point of this exercise? You'll just ignore anything that people that actually understand this process tell you and declare that PSU should be in because we beat Ohio State.

The Big Ten is the 5th best conference in the country this year.

As for Alabama, they beat:
Away: Florida, LSU
Neutral: BYU
Home: Auburn, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Rhode Island

All 8 of those are probably better wins than any win we have over a team not named Ohio State. And that's our problem. Looking at our 21 wins, what is the 4th best win that we had this season? Nebraska at home I guess? Maryland at home?

Plus, Alabama also could very well be in the NIT with us. I think they need to win a game or two in St Louis.

But what's the point of this exercise? You'll just ignore anything that people that actually understand this process tell you and declare that PSU should be in because we beat Ohio State.

BYU and LSU LOL

But I’m sure you will say both are better then PSU.

Just admit your a troll with a Penn State name. We had them here before.

We had our beast season in quit some time. I’m very excited for next season.

The probably unintentional misspellings above subliminally tell the world what you really think.

It was a quit season, time for Pat to quit like he & his team do so often

Yet his devoted apology committee would claim the team played in beast mode all year even when losing to Rider.

Delusional. I love your spelling checker, Nate. It tells the truth when you don't want to

I think we would have been in if we had won 3 of 6. 22 wins with one being over Michigan, Purdue, or Nebraska would have looked good on the resume.

BYU and LSU LOL

But I’m sure you will say both are better then PSU.

Just admit your a troll with a Penn State name. We had them here before.
If you're laughing at a win over BYU on a neutral (since we have SO MANY better ones on our resume), then I'm dreading what will happen when you look at St.Mary's final resume..

If you're laughing at a win over BYU on a neutral (since we have SO MANY better ones on our resume), then I'm dreading what will happen when you look at St.Mary's final resume..

Didn’t St Mary’s win at Gonzaga?

I think that win is better then a win over a Rhode Island.

It should be the same in football too right? But you and your anti Penn State crap said we shouldn’t get in if we win our conference,right??

Yes, if football included all conference winners (as I said they should) then you're right but unless ALL are included then winning the conference doesn't mean anything. Again, football needs a 16 team playoff...all conference winners with at large bids. No limit on how many teams from a conference. It is a joke that half the conferences have no chance from day one even if they run the table. You make the point you want the sports have to be comparable. A 4 team playoff isn't comparable to 68

Or even Rider
Or Wisconsin, or Northeastern, or.....

I'm probably most pleased with the way the defensive energy improved down the stretch. Still not the best but certainly improved. The offense seemed to be limited to screen rolls between Watkins and Carr (which tbey are great at executing) and isolation plays for Carr or Stevens. They weren't very good moving without the ball or even reversing the ball. Of course that only works if you have perimeter shooters. Wheeler and Bostick are not threats.

Let's hope everybody comes back and one of the new kids can shoot. Garner could be a big loss.

Saw on another thread we wants teams like Oklahoma, Bama, St Bonaventure, Boise State, Louisville, FSU, Texas to lose early in their tourneys.

Sad PSU would smoke those teams right now.

The Rider and Wisky games are killers. Rider is a bad loss.

Yes... but Rider won their conference , yes?

As on today ESPN's Bracketology dropped us from first 4 out to next 4 out...
This is the official resume
Record: 21-13
RPI 80
SOS 76
CONF 9-9
NON CONF SOS 264 (that's right--264)
Last 12 7-5
Rec vs Top 50: 3-5 (all 3 wins against one team)
Other top 100 wins 3 (meaning only 6 wins vs the top 100 teams--SIX)
Losses outside top 100 4

Can we be real when discussing this?

As on today ESPN's Bracketology dropped us from first 4 out to next 4 out...
This is the official resume
Record: 21-13
RPI 80
SOS 76
CONF 9-9
NON CONF SOS 264 (that's right--264)
Last 12 7-5
Rec vs Top 50: 3-5 (all 3 wins against one team)
Other top 100 wins 3 (meaning only 6 wins vs the top 100 teams--SIX)
Losses outside top 100 4

Can we be real when discussing this?
I don't understand people that blame our OOC schedule. It doesn't help to play better teams if we don't beat them (Rider, NC State, A&M).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT